Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SIr_Lienad
Aug 17, 2011

Furthering my education in stupidity, one day at a time.
Fun Shoe

TalonDemonKing posted:

Any chance of getting sticky blocks to move obsidian. It'd be nice to break obsidian portals without having to mine a block from the frame. I originally thought that I could push cobblestone through it using sticky pistons, but apparently you can't use that to 'fill' the portal.

On the note of pistons; whats with the redstone stuff? It feels wonky and non intuitive. Really if any redstone is touching the block, it should count.

Also; I heard rumors of Alchemy. Is this true?

As for breaking a portal without mining a block, just pour a bucket of water into the portal. Alchemy is available only through mods as of now. Notch had mentioned implementing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
I haven't played for months because my main machine is busted but these new patches look awesome

Will minecraft run on my old POS laptop?

SIr_Lienad
Aug 17, 2011

Furthering my education in stupidity, one day at a time.
Fun Shoe

Fatkraken posted:

I haven't played for months because my main machine is busted but these new patches look awesome

Perhaps, though 1.8 really increased the requirements, and the memory leak makes playing for extended periods of time tougher. It really depends on your laptop.

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

runsamok posted:

I concur. It appears as if pistons aren't being recognized as redstone items at all, as redstone doesn't curve into them when placed. It made wiring up the "secret" door in my sphinx a pain in the rear end.

Honestly I'd like it if redstone curving towards things was just a visual effect, and it always powered things next to it no matter what. I like consistency and space efficiency in my spergdust.

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

QUACKING PERMABANNED! READ HERE

~SMcD
If we're gonna do a redstone wishlist thing: add a programmable repeater that you can set for a delay between 1 and 60 seconds (to 1 decimal place), but make it much more expensive to craft than a regular repeater. Having to do 30-repeater chains or set up water-based workarounds to achieve 10+ second delays is inefficient. :argh:

Vatek fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Sep 26, 2011

TalonDemonKing
May 4, 2011

SIr_Lienad posted:

As for breaking a portal without mining a block, just pour a bucket of water into the portal. Alchemy is available only through mods as of now. Notch had mentioned implementing it.

Wait; this works?

Might have to trigger some water-fall-piston-action. Which means more slimballs. And more redstone triggering :suicide:

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

TalonDemonKing posted:

Any chance of getting sticky blocks to move obsidian. It'd be nice to break obsidian portals without having to mine a block from the frame. I originally thought that I could push cobblestone through it using sticky pistons, but apparently you can't use that to 'fill' the portal.

On the note of pistons; whats with the redstone stuff? It feels wonky and non intuitive. Really if any redstone is touching the block, it should count.

Also; I heard rumors of Alchemy. Is this true?

TNT will do the job!

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician
I just want redstone to be intuitive :smith:

A Lamer posted:

:notch:

This is from a couple of pages back, but the best part about this is that it was built on a tiny little SMP server some goons play on, and this is built literally right in front of someone's house :v:

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Fatkraken posted:

1.8 made so older graphic cards are unsupported so you may not be able to.

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

Monicro posted:

I just want redstone to be intuitive :smith:

It would be if its operation was consistent. It's not though, and varies depending on what you're trying to power. It's goofy even if you're a Comp Sci/ECE nerd.

Also Notch: please make slime at least as common as diamond. I literally find more diamond than slime consistently.

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

Goldie...She says her name is Goldie

PalmTreeFun posted:

Also Notch: please make slime at least as common as diamond. I literally find more diamond than slime consistently.

God this. I literally found my first slime ever last night. I've made slime farms, I've used the slime finder website, i've looked low and lower. Finally found one in the bottom of a huge underground chasm last night. It was like loving Christmas.

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
For the time being I just cheat in slimeballs. I'd really like it if vanilla implemented that mod recipe that lets you combine wheat with water to get slime though.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

I have a minimap mod that is supposed to show you exactly where slimes spawn but it seems to never work.

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

Death Himself posted:

I have a minimap mod that is supposed to show you exactly where slimes spawn but it seems to never work.

Me too. Rei's minimap shows the chunks slimes spawn in, but there are other problems too. First, you need to have a cave that's really, really low down. Second, you need to not have mobs being used up by regular monsters and animals above you. Third, slimes only spawn a tenth as frequently as other hostile mobs. Lighting a place up only makes them more common by virtue of the fact that other hostile mobs can't spawn there.

Drox posted:

For the time being I just cheat in slimeballs. I'd really like it if vanilla implemented that mod recipe that lets you combine wheat with water to get slime though.

Good luck with that in SMP. Especially in a place like Goonimati. I found one slime by luck while exploring a cave. I've collected a good ~10 blocks worth of diamonds total over all the times I've gotten my base looted, but I finally got 6 bits of slime last night.

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
That's true. I haven't played multiplayer for a while. If I started up my own server again, I would probably just edit the map locally to contain a chest of slimeballs and then upload it or something.

xf86enodev
Mar 27, 2010

dis catte!

Monicro posted:

This is from a couple of pages back, but the best part about this is that it was built on a tiny little SMP server some goons play on, and this is built literally right in front of someone's house :v:

Isn't putting burning crosses in front of other people's houses some kind of insult in the USA?

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

xf86enodev posted:

Isn't putting burning crosses in front of other people's houses some kind of insult in the USA?

Yeah, it's basically like saying, "You are a jerk." A lot of laughs can be had by both parties if you do it right, though.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

xf86enodev posted:

Nah, that happens like once, twice a week all over the place over here.

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

xf86enodev posted:

It's racist too. Hence :notch:.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

xf86enodev posted:

It's commonly associated with the white-supremacist Ku Klux Klan, who use it as a means of intimidating their enemies/victims. There are some other bits of historical significance, but basically every person in North America interprets a burning cross on someone's lawn to mean that the KKK is threatening the person in question.

TalonDemonKing
May 4, 2011

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Yeah, it's basically like saying, "You are a jerk." A lot of laughs can be had by both parties if you do it right, though.

:wtc:

Is setting up a slime farm worth it, or is it currently too much work? I'm half tempted to start up some sort of mob spawner/sky trap in order to get plenty of mob stuffs; but I'm also thinking about starting a tower in the middle of this vast desert with a quarry underneath it.

Also, chicken farms. How's everyone running theirs? I saw a pic of a 2x2 water with floating chickens on them, but mine just seem to escape or murder one another.

Thoughts?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Angry Diplomat posted:

It's commonly associated with the white-supremacist Ku Klux Klan, who use it as a means of intimidating their enemies/victims. There are some other bits of historical significance, but basically every person in North America interprets a burning cross on someone's lawn to mean that the KKK is threatening the person in question.

Ku... Klu Kul Klun???

Now you're just making poo poo up! Come on, if you want to troll us try a bit harder. :colbert:

penis bandana
Aug 6, 2008

Angry Diplomat posted:

Or the Methodist Church.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

I am fairly sure those guys don't set fire to actual, physical crosses on other peoples' property :v:

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Mike the TV posted:

TNT will do the job!

TNT does not blow up obsidian though. So it won't unless it clears the portal part away somehow.

Which typing that just now gave me the idea of having 6 sticky pistons lined up behind the portal, and pressing a button to push cobblestone or whatever into the portal, covering them, and when they retract they might clear the portal.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

IUG posted:

TNT does not blow up obsidian though. So it won't unless it clears the portal part away somehow.

Which typing that just now gave me the idea of having 6 sticky pistons lined up behind the portal, and pressing a button to push cobblestone or whatever into the portal, covering them, and when they retract they might clear the portal.

Just tried this. Pistons won't push blocks into portals unfortunately.

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

IUG posted:

TNT actually destroys the purple portal area.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

IUG posted:

Just make a piston hold back water from the back of the portal until you press a button. Water flows through, kills portal, then dries up.

And TNT does destroy portals, leaving the obsidian frame intact.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
Hey look I built a thing!

A small underground garden area

What's this? a hidden button?

Open sesame!

I think I might be addicted to wool and clay bricks..

http://monkfish.imgur.com/casa_de_honkfish

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

The following is a message of the I hate skeletons broadcast system.

I hate skeletons. I hate skeletons, I hate skeletons, I hate skeletons.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled Minecraft discussion.

drquasius
Dec 25, 2004

FactsAreUseless posted:

The following is a message of the I hate skeletons broadcast system.

I hate skeletons. I hate skeletons, I hate skeletons, I hate skeletons.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled Minecraft discussion.

Got knocked into lava, did you?

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

The new skeletons are pushovers. The oldschool gatling skeletons, those were some bullshit.

Makaris
May 4, 2009
I'm looking through the thread and I can't find the link to that FPS improving utility. I'm using the Sphax pack and, though it looks amazing, it's killed my FPS.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

It's Optimine. You'd have better luck asking for stuff like that in the mod thread though.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Angry Diplomat posted:

The new skeletons are pushovers. The oldschool gatling skeletons, those were some bullshit.

I still have involuntary spasms sometimes when I hear a skeleton take a shot from behind me :cry:

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1

penis bandana posted:

Or the Methodist Church.

Those aren't flames that's a ribbon of tolerance!

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you

EightBit posted:

I still have involuntary spasms sometimes when I hear a skeleton take a shot from behind me :cry:

Seriouspost I pulled a muscle in my shoulder the other night when a skeleton surprised me from the darkness and took a shot at me.

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

Angry Diplomat posted:

I have the opposite impression, can you explain how you deal with the new skeletons? The closest I can get to not getting hit is dashing in a circle around them until they shoot, then getting a hit in and running off again.

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

QUACKING PERMABANNED! READ HERE

~SMcD
Get iron armor and stop giving a poo poo about getting hit by anything. v:shobon:v

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Vanadium posted:

I have the opposite impression, can you explain how you deal with the new skeletons? The closest I can get to not getting hit is dashing in a circle around them until they shoot, then getting a hit in and running off again.

They shoot less often and are less accurate- it's pretty simple to dash at them with a sword and kill them that way before they shoot you.

Also yeah iron armor + food makes you invincible as long as you aren't getting cornered or dumped in lava so.