Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Pipski posted:

Don't get it if you play with inverted y-axis. The stupid fuckers forgot to include it as an option.

Why on God's green earth would any developer in this day and age forget to loving include things like this? It's as bad as not including subtitles. (Looking at you, Wolverine.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Could be worse. Could be like Beyond Good & Evil. You can invert the Y-axis, sure - but it also inverts the X-axis. There is nothing you can do to stop this. Either everything is inverted or nothing is. Somehow, that just feels more annoying to me.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Policenaut posted:

PlayStation Move: I hope you like HD Wii ports.
God if only. All I want to play is Muramasa!

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Question Mark Mound posted:

God if only. All I want to play is Muramasa!
Ports of motion control games, silly. Muramasa is old school and uses...buttons.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
I thought they were porting Muramasa.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

"Hey guys, so we made this thing. It's like a Wiimote but it's betterer because it's more accurate or something. Let's make cool new games!"

*ports no more heroes and house of the dead: overkill*

Yodzilla posted:

I thought they were porting Muramasa.

That was a rumor that came out at Tokyo Game Show last year, someone actually asked Vanillaware earlier this month about it and they went "uhhhh no?"

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Speaking of HD ports, I beat God of War: Chains of Olympus and it was good, but really there are things that were forgivable on the PSP that are less so in a PS3 game. Really, is makes you appreciate just how well the original games were made. One thing that happens alot is you'll be put in arenas where the enemies can either walk in front of or out of site of the camera (hell, even the boss of the game does this). this is something that never happened in the original games. The camera was pretty much always placed so you could see where the enemies were at all time (which is no easy feet in a game with no camera controls). There's also a bunch of small flaws. The game constantly put checkpoints before unskippable cut scenes, so if the battle it tough, you will have to watch it again and again. Once again, this is present at the boss of the game, and there's even a trophy for watching said cut scene three times, so at that point it feels like they're rubbing your face in it.

It still is a solid, fun God of War game that frankly has a more interesting plot than it's console brethren but it was kind of better of on a portable where most of it's flaws would be overshadowed by the fact that they somehow fit a God of War game on a portable.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I've been avoiding the Deus Ex thread for obvious reasons, but I did have a question. I asked Yodzilla earlier and he gave me a solid answer but he himself sounded uncertain about its accuracy.

I'm at the (only read if you've beaten the game because then you're definitely farther than me!) Part where I went to Singapore in a pod and disabled the G-P-L Scrambler. I'm hunting 3 signals of the kidnapped scientists.

How much further do I have of straight up campaign? I'm trying to wrap this poo poo up before Thursday on limited game time.

Thanks!

belt
May 12, 2001

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mug posted:

My copy of Ico and Shadow of the Colossus just shipped. gently caress yes gently caress yes

I preordered this in February and forgot about it until now, just got my shipping notification and did a little happy dance, it's like Christmas!

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Feenix posted:

I've been avoiding the Deus Ex thread for obvious reasons, but I did have a question. I asked Yodzilla earlier and he gave me a solid answer but he himself sounded uncertain about its accuracy.

I'm at the (only read if you've beaten the game because then you're definitely farther than me!) Part where I went to Singapore in a pod and disabled the G-P-L Scrambler. I'm hunting 3 signals of the kidnapped scientists.

How much further do I have of straight up campaign? I'm trying to wrap this poo poo up before Thursday on limited game time.

Thanks!

You're very close to the end of the game. After you finish up with that, you head off to the final area of the game

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Policenaut posted:

That was a rumor that came out at Tokyo Game Show last year, someone actually asked Vanillaware earlier this month about it and they went "uhhhh no?"

That's a shame. Muramasa was one of the few Wii games I really enjoyed and spent time with.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Policenaut posted:

You're very close to the end of the game. After you finish up with that, you head off to the final area of the game

Nice.
Yodzilla said 5/8ths done. Let's all laugh at Yodzilla for trying to help me!

HAH HAH!

(jk, thanks for the info to both Policenaut and Yodzilla)

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Why does Amazon always take so long to tell me my stuff has shipped. I trust the Ico collection will get here tomorrow but it's 4:30 and my order still says "shipping soon". Get it together Amazon :argh:

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

axleblaze posted:

Why does Amazon always take so long to tell me my stuff has shipped. I trust the Ico collection will get here tomorrow but it's 4:30 and my order still says "shipping soon". Get it together Amazon :argh:

As someone who gets a little on edge about that too, let me console you by saying:

Why does it loving matter, you sperg?

It'll be there tomorrow and you know it.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68ykFNpcjkQ
New Uncharted 3 gameplay. The graphics and the music are just mindblowing.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Feenix posted:

As someone who gets a little on edge about that too, let me console you by saying:

Why does it loving matter, you sperg?

It'll be there tomorrow and you know it.

Because sometimes they actually don't ship it and it gets here late :( It doesn't happen often but it has happened. I know in the logical part of my brain that even if it doesn't arrive tomorrow, I have a bunch of other games to play, in this case it's a game I've already played and in the long run I won't even remember if it arrived on time once I actually get it but there's this much louder part of my brain that wants it nooooowwwwwww :qq:

This will be even worse with Arkham City and Saint's Row 3, which I got for $45 off of New Egg but had to get standard shipping.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Yodzilla posted:

That's a shame. Muramasa was one of the few Wii games I really enjoyed and spent time with.

It really does deserve an HD port considering how awesome it looks. The Wii's SD resolution doesn't do it justice.

yellowcar fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Sep 26, 2011

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Spermando posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68ykFNpcjkQ
New Uncharted 3 gameplay. The graphics and the music are just mindblowing.

Video removed already?

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Policenaut posted:

You're also about to hit the third and most frustrating of the boss battles, depending on a choice you made, oh, about 3 hours ago.

If you made the choice the frustrating way - suggestion for that boss fight (mostly spoiler-free, but still spoilered just in case): the boss stays in the center, mostly, and there are only two paths through the center. Run around the periphery, and use audio queues to determine which of the two paths he's on, and huck a grenade dead-center into that path. Odds are good you'll hit, he'll be visible and stunned, and then you can lay into him with rockets, the laser rifle, etc. Or if you're using rockets period, you can skip the grenade, but the laser rifle won't stun him the same way.

EM grenades seemed to do nothing at all, but it was hard to tell. The little boxes you run by are usable (easy to miss, again, depending on the earlier choice you made), and one contains a laser rifle, if you have no heavy-hitting weapons to use once the dude is stunned.

He throws grenades and shoots a very heavy-hitting gun, and the grenade toss has a distinct sound - which you can easily hear even if you made the frustrating choice. So stun him, take a few pot shots, then get moving again the second you hear the grenades, or see him aiming his gun / not being stunned.

EDIT: VV Yes. You'll know the second the boss fight hits, there is no reason to spoil it.

EDIT2: and I have no grenade launcher, and I am past that boss fight :(

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Sep 26, 2011

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Shalinor posted:

You're also about to hit the third and most frustrating of the boss battles, depending on a choice you made, oh, about 3 hours ago.

If you made the choice the frustrating way - suggestion for that boss fight (mostly spoiler-free, but still spoilered just in case): the boss stays in the center, mostly, and there are only two paths through the center. Run around the periphery, and use audio queues to determine which of the two paths he's on, and huck a grenade dead-center into that path. Odds are good you'll hit, he'll be visible and stunned, and then you can lay into him with rockets, the laser rifle, etc. Or if you're using rockets period, you can skip the grenade, but the laser rifle won't stun him the same way.

EM grenades seemed to do nothing at all, but it was hard to tell. The little boxes you run by are usable (easy to miss, again, depending on the earlier choice you made), and one contains a laser rifle, if you have no heavy-hitting weapons to use once the dude is stunned.

He throws grenades and shoots a very heavy-hitting gun, and the grenade toss has a distinct sound - which you can easily hear even if you made the frustrating choice. So stun him, take a few pot shots, then get moving again the second you hear the grenades, or see him aiming his gun / not being stunned.

Dang, what was the choice? Or is knowing the choice I made affects something later a spoiler of sorts in itself that I should want to avoid?

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3
Don't you get the grenade launcher shortly before that boss? That'd make the fight last about four seconds.

Phenwah
Feb 3, 2003

Pipski posted:

Don't get it if you play with inverted y-axis. The stupid fuckers forgot to include it as an option.

Wow. Between that and the rumblings of "no multiplayer," it sounds like I have a preorder to cancel.

Alabama Blacksnake
Aug 9, 2005

But it ain't too goddamned beaucoup.

axleblaze posted:

One thing that happens alot is you'll be put in arenas where the enemies can either walk in front of or out of site of the camera (hell, even the boss of the game does this). this is something that never happened in the original games. The camera was pretty much always placed so you could see where the enemies were at all time (which is no easy feet in a game with no camera controls).

I don't remember the first two well enough but this definitely happened to me with a few fights in the third one, sirens and wraiths in particular were annoying when they strolled out of view.

axleblaze posted:

There's also a bunch of small flaws. The game constantly put checkpoints before unskippable cut scenes, so if the battle it tough, you will have to watch it again and again. Once again, this is present at the boss of the game, and there's even a trophy for watching said cut scene three times, so at that point it feels like they're rubbing your face in it.

This poo poo is straight up unforgivable at this point.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
Why on earth are there ever unskippable cutscenes, who thought this was a good design choice

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Code Jockey posted:

Why on earth are there ever unskippable cutscenes, who thought this was a good design choice
Well, sometimes they are to disguise load times, but I didn't think that was the case there.

Actually a better question is why a game like God of War has out of engine cutscenes at all, its engine is clearly capable of making scenes like that look just as good, if not better.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

DOUBLE CLICK HERE posted:

Don't you get the grenade launcher shortly before that boss? That'd make the fight last about four seconds.

The Girlboss fight was interesting. I was having trouble with her until I figured out (ie: remembered) that I had the Typhoon system installed. The trick is, timing it right. 3 hits of that when she's rushing will kill her, BUT if she gets too far into her splosion routine, you can "reproducably" hard lock your PS3. (I did it like 3 times in a row, lol.)

While I'm here, let me ask. I have that 2-person melee takedown upgrade. But I've never used it. How do you use it? Just do a takedown on a guy, when another guy is NEAR the guy you are taking down? Whats the general range?

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3

Feenix posted:

The Girlboss fight was interesting. I was having trouble with her until I figured out (ie: remembered) that I had the Typhoon system installed. The trick is, timing it right. 3 hits of that when she's rushing will kill her, BUT if she gets too far into her splosion routine, you can "reproducably" hard lock your PS3. (I did it like 3 times in a row, lol.)

While I'm here, let me ask. I have that 2-person melee takedown upgrade. But I've never used it. How do you use it? Just do a takedown on a guy, when another guy is NEAR the guy you are taking down? Whats the general range?

Just the same as the normal one; if you're near two bad guys it'll show an icon showing you'll do a double kill/takedown.

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

I've got a hot deal on a bridge to the Pegasus Galaxy!
Grimey Drawer

Feenix posted:

Yeah, if there's another guy reasonably close, take one guy down and he'll go after both in the "cutscene". Not sure what the range is but I've activated it with the other guy a few steps away at least.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line

Siliconera posted:

Electronic Arts is developing a new Dead Space game. No surprise there, but it doesn’t take place on a spaceship. Dead Space 3 is set on Tau Volantis, an icy planet where Isaac Clarke has to wade through white-out blizzard conditions.

Early in Dead Space 3, Isaac crash lands on the planet. He believes he may be the only survivor and makes his way to an abandoned waystation, which he uses for shelter from the snowstorm. There he finds a survivor who is severely injured. Isaac speaks to the near dead comrade who reveals there are other survivors that trekked off to another facility. One of them is Ellie, a key character from the original Dead Space game. Isaac grabs a snowsuit and heads into the blizzard.

Later in the game, Isaac reunites with Ellie and a new character named Jennifer. The trio scale a mountain, but Jennifer is reluctant to do so. She’s a tech type excited over finding a codex and plans to reverse engineer research by a group called Rosetta to gain access to it. As they climb up the mountain, they hear a howl from below, but cannot spot what kind of creature made the sound.

The enemies in Dead Space 3 are being referred to as "the hive mind."

This news comes from our mole that sent us details about Electronic Arts​’ Syndicate reboot a few months early (stories: here and here). Pictures are from previous Dead Space games.
http://www.siliconera.com/2011/09/26/dead-space-3-takes-place-on-a-frozen-planet-first-details-inside/

Gonna own

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Palleon posted:

Yeah, if there's another guy reasonably close, take one guy down and he'll go after both in the "cutscene". Not sure what the range is but I've activated it with the other guy a few steps away at least.
It would be really bad if you blew the range and only took down one of them right? Since eiher one or two takedowns both consume one battery, right?

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Samurai Sanders posted:

It would be really bad if you blew the range and only took down one of them right? Since eiher one or two takedowns both consume one battery, right?

Considering you can freeze time to gobble a candy bar, this wouldn't be the end of the world, you'd just waste a battery.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dead Space 3: Lost Planet.

(I'm honestly glad they're changing the environments up.)

Mustach
Mar 2, 2003

In this long line, there's been some real strange genes. You've got 'em all, with some extras thrown in.

Code Jockey posted:

Oh, this reminds me. You know what I've wanted for a while? An option that simply auto-skips every cinematic in the game. And I mean really skips — no loading the assets at all. I hate having to mash on buttons to skip them when I'm trying to go through a game and get a good time or whatever, and it's just frustrating to go through twice the loading screens. LOADING… mash buttons to skip LOADING…

Taratang
Sep 4, 2002

Grand Master
Awesome, I hope this one has a hardcore mode more brutal than Dead Space 2 just so I get to laugh at even more people whining about it.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Hell yes can't wait for this.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Mustach posted:

Oh, this reminds me. You know what I've wanted for a while? An option that simply auto-skips every cinematic in the game. And I mean really skips — no loading the assets at all. I hate having to mash on buttons to skip them when I'm trying to go through a game and get a good time or whatever, and it's just frustrating to go through twice the loading screens. LOADING… mash buttons to skip LOADING…
I guess we've talked about this in this thread before, but an ideal situation is when the game delivers you story stuff while you are playing. I hope for a future where games never have a period of time where you just set your controller down and watch. Japanese games have the furthest to go in this regard but a lot of Western games are guilty too.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Ellie isn't from the original Dead Space, she's from Dead Space 2.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

I guess we've talked about this in this thread before, but an ideal situation is when the game delivers you story stuff while you are playing. I hope for a future where games never have a period of time where you just set your controller down and watch. Japanese games have the furthest to go in this regard but a lot of Western games are guilty too.

The problem there is that while it's a nice idea in theory, delivering story stuff while playing tends to be troublesome. If it's important stuff, you don't want it getting lost amongst the action of the game or else you'll have people who missed something important because it was revealed while they were fighting a thousand Swarmtroopers.

And the alternate choice, slow down the action while important things are happening, is dumb. It's exactly what gives us "Issac Clarke stands quietly while the guy behind the invincible glass rants at him" syndrome.

Cutscenes, when used well, provide a convenient break the action while also being something that can be skipped on future replays or by those who don't care about the plot. The problem is when they're unskippable, too lengthy or too frequent.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Oh, I think that slowing down the game from time to time is fine, and it should coincide with story delivery. Games like Uncharted did it the best I think, where the talky parts were while you were climbing or something that didn't require your full concentration. I definitely prefer that to just putting the controller down.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Sep 26, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Yodzilla posted:

That's the only Wii game I liked. I wonder if it's playable on that Dolphin emulator, since I don't have my Wii anymore, but held onto my copy of Muramasa for some reason.

• Locked thread