Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

Wandering Knitter posted:

I was half tempted to buy it myself (when they had some in stock) but I've been burned so many times on "It can be used to make scarves AND NOTHING ELSE" yarn. See the yarn swap thread in SA-Mart for more details. :smithicide:

Which seems to be going nowhere. But I still want your yarn. I don't have anything terribly interesting to offer, but I can pay you for shipping. Either IM me or send a convo on Etsy if you want to work something out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Mizufusion posted:

Which seems to be going nowhere. But I still want your yarn. I don't have anything terribly interesting to offer, but I can pay you for shipping. Either IM me or send a convo on Etsy if you want to work something out.

Okay, I'm the one with the knitting related AIM name. Can't miss me.

marchantia
Nov 5, 2009

WHAT IS THIS

Unoriginal posted:

Yeah, I've considered using it for doll hair before, but haven't yet. I don't really have any need for other wearable stuff besides socks. I live in TX so it's usually not that cold, but my feet are always freezing. It's mostly that I really do want more socks and there are a million cute sock yarns.

I think I'll give it a try, though. Looking at that tutorial, it doesn't seem that hard. Thanks for the encouragement, guys.

I used that link to make my first socks. I used magic loop instead of two circs, but it's really the same concept. Good luck! Handknit socks are the best. :3:

HeatherChandler
Jun 21, 2007

Is this turnout weak or what? I had at least 70 more people at my funeral.
Durr, stupid question. I'm knitting a toy for a friend's baby and haven't even been thinking about the fact that I have a terrible cold. I'm blowing my nose in between rows and I feel like my snot is colonizing on it. It's a caterpillar so I've been stuffing as I go, can you throw a toy in the wash once it's filled with polyfill? Should I put it in the dryer? The yarn is just Simply Soft so I know that's safe.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
Sure, but some of the stuffing might shift and settle. It's usually better to surface wash stuffed toys, or if you can, wash it before stuffing it.

And now I'm all excited to get Wandering Knitter's yarn and a wizard statue! :woop:

CureMinorWounds
Apr 29, 2007
Faster Casting Time!
I'm working on a sock from that tutorial earlier, is it feasible to make the cuff a little tighter to work on a size smaller needle, then switch to the larger size when the cuff is finished? Or would that gently caress something up that I can't think of right now?

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005
Most sweater patterns have you use a smaller needle for the ribbing. I've never seen it in a sock pattern - maybe because they already generally use such small needles? As long as you're sure the cuff will fit over your heel I can't see a problem with it.

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

That nice entrelac sweater on Knitty reminded me of something I saw when I was younger:

Ugh. Unflattering and makes her look like a huge cushion.

Bonus:

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

CureMinorWounds posted:

I'm working on a sock from that tutorial earlier, is it feasible to make the cuff a little tighter to work on a size smaller needle, then switch to the larger size when the cuff is finished? Or would that gently caress something up that I can't think of right now?

I do this for my ribbing and also for my heel flaps because of my issues with tension with ribbing and flat knitting vs circular. It totally works, it won't gently caress up something (unless you go down three or more sizes or something ridiculous), and it's probably going to make a little better fit for you too.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Sodium Chloride posted:

That nice entrelac sweater on Knitty reminded me of something I saw when I was younger:

You know, I kinda like the look of the sleeves. I bet I'd look nicer while pared with a far more sane chest piece.

Jollity Farm
Apr 23, 2010

I've seen a sock pattern with (I think) 3mm for the ribbing and 3.25mm for the rest of the sock, so it's not unheard of.

LizzieBorden
Dec 6, 2009

She's hackin' and wackin' and smackin'
She just hacks, wacks, chopping that meat

CureMinorWounds posted:

I can't see why not, or you could do twisted ribbing, [p1 ktbl], that makes it tighter, but not too much.

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

Sodium Chloride posted:

Aww, she looks so cuddly :3:

I sort of collect old hideous knitting patterns.

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

madlilnerd posted:

Aww, she looks so cuddly :3:

I sort of collect old hideous knitting patterns.

I found a used book of knitting patterns with huge intarsia panels of famous artworks for $4 and I've been killing myself for not buying it ever since.

To be fair, I have a million goddamn books and no business even walking into a used bookstore, but drat. They were SO UGLY.

It's called "Knitting Masterpieces" and there are a few projects from it on Ravelry, amazingly.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Yes. You should have gotten that book. Shame on you.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

ahahaha oh my god I've never seen the Mona Lisa look so totally pissed off.

LizzieBorden
Dec 6, 2009

She just hacks, wacks, chopping that meat

The lovechild of the Mona Lisa and Viggo the Carpathian.

Dead Cow
Nov 4, 2009

Passion makes the world go round.
Love just makes it a safer place.
There's a yarn store in Bellflower, CA, where it's run by a very nice lady and her mom. There are probably over 500 magazines, pamplets, and patterns ranging from 1950s to today. For like a quarter to a buck a piece.

Any of you who collect hideous, or old, or hideous old patterns would roll around in these.

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

I know. I'm the worst!

On the other hand, I'm going back to that place fairly soon possibly, what are the odds that someone else bought it in the meantime?

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
Mmmm, all signed up for a thrummed mittens class at my LYS, and got a skein of some navy blue royal alpaca. Gonna line them with that golden alpaca roving I ordered a while back... mmmm so cozy, my hands will be all toasty warm all winter.

neongrey fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Sep 30, 2011

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

you can't take the sky from me
I get so excited for mitten season. Too bad my dpns are at my mom's house along with like 3/4ths of my yarn.

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

Any of these would get you so much cred at my art school, provided you weren't ugly (or were only manufactured hipster ugly).

I'll have to dig out some more of my own uggo collection, but I'm not sure where they are right now. The plan was to do a whole range of "retro craft" posts on my blog but I did one and kind of gave up.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
Also I am totally going to run I-cord between the mittens because I am literally twelve and constantly lose gloves and mittens. I have about seven different articles of clothing I have purchased solely to keep my hands from freezing to death and none of them match because I've lost their mates.

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005
Nothing hurts more than spending weeks knitting a frigging traditional Estonian stranded mitten pattern and then losing one of them.

And I know exactly where I lost it too, and you think someone would pick it up and turn it into the lost and found? No, of course it got found by someone with one arm and no moral compass.

The Young Marge
Jul 19, 2006

but no one can talk to a horse, of course.
Hi, I made some wool diaper covers for going over cotton cloth diapers:

From this pattern. #1 looks weird in the pic, but the proportions in real life are fine. I might still add leg cuffs to #2; the diapers may poke through otherwise. I love making these things; they're so fun and go really quickly. I hope waterproofing them with lanolin works, and that they fit! I'll probably do a blue one with skulls next.

Funny how I haven't knit anything in over a year, but suddenly now that I'm 4 weeks away from having a baby, I'm a knitting fool. I'm working on one of these blankets, too (in dark blue-green with thin light grey stripes). Turns out baby projects are awesome for stash-busting. :)

edit: the colors of the diaper covers are darker and much less garish in person - camera flash was on.

The Young Marge fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Sep 30, 2011

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
This has been a great week for knitting supplies. Today I got a big box of fuzzy yarn from Wandering Knitter, and yesterday I got a bunch of knitting needles from a Listia auction! I seem to have a million size 3 needles now, though. I already had 3 pairs and dpns, now I have 2.5 more pairs and some mismatched dpns. If anyone needs US3 needles, I have them. You can have some too, for the cost of shipping! I also have many other (mostly single) needles that I don't need.

Now, if only I could stop knitting these damned Jayne Cobb hats for the internet and work on something I actually want to..

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
Glad to hear that the yarn made it safe and sound! :dance:

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage
Well, all the knitting on my blanket is done, it's just a case of sewing in the ends now.

Can you block 100% acrylic? I don't generally bother with blocking, but it would really benefit the edges on this.

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005
You can't really block it. You can "kill" acrylic but that might make it drapier than you want. Maybe sew something on the edges to neaten them up? Or, if it's curling you could back it with something.

It's gorgeous by the way!

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

Yeah, killing acrylic basically is steaming it so that it melts into a new shape.

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

FelicityGS posted:

Yeah, killing acrylic basically is steaming it so that it melts into a new shape.

:stare:

Yeah, I don't think I'll be doing that.

And I'm reluctant to sew anything onto the back because the back looks pretty trippy, it's all swirled and weird but neat enough to get away with being left that way.

I am so loving addicted to rainbows, when I'm an old lady I'm going to live off skittles and just sit around knitting stuff like this all day.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
It doesn't actually melt the yarn. I did it once to a hat by accident. What it does its that it causes it to become very soft and super-floppy.

Good for blankets, bad for hats. :smith:

Wandering Knitter fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Oct 5, 2011

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Hey, ladies of knitting, if I'm knitting a hat like this

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/turn-a-square

for a girl, should I make it taller/longer or whatever to accommodate hair length?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
No, guys' heads are generally bigger than girls' so it should more than balance out, and hats are usually pretty stretchy anyway. If you did, you'd want to make it fatter, not taller.

Just be aware it's going to fit like a beanie, like it shows you, and not like a slouchy tam.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
I think I am coming to terms with the pile of pompom yarn I acquired. It's still obnoxious because you have to carefully knit between each pom, and it's physically impossible to bind off loosely, but I can work with it. Except that it looks awful in garter stitch, is nigh impossible to purl because the stitches jump off the needles, and the backside of a stockinette look absolutely awful. I'm now looking for things to do with it that can be knit in the round. So far I've made a pillow case that is simultaneously comfortable and discomforting.. :smith:

(Frog shown to display the appropriate emotional response one has to this pillow.)

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Mizufusion posted:

I think I am coming to terms with the pile of pompom yarn I acquired. It's still obnoxious because you have to carefully knit between each pom, and it's physically impossible to bind off loosely, but I can work with it. Except that it looks awful in garter stitch, is nigh impossible to purl because the stitches jump off the needles, and the backside of a stockinette look absolutely awful. I'm now looking for things to do with it that can be knit in the round. So far I've made a pillow case that is simultaneously comfortable and discomforting.. :smith:

(Frog shown to display the appropriate emotional response one has to this pillow.)

Hey man, that pompom pillow looks way better than my drat christmas scarf. I got halfway through it before I realized I was completely knitting it wrong. Now it sits there on my to-sell pile, mocking me. :argh:

CureMinorWounds
Apr 29, 2007
Faster Casting Time!
I really want to knit these mitts, but I can't figure out how to read the damned chart for the life of me, would it be an ok idea to just write it all out?

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/trenza-mitts

Help me stop being stupid goons!

Edit: Starting to understand after staring for a while, but I noticed on the stitch key for the chart, the first cable says to sl 3 sts, then to k2, p1 and k2 from cable needle. Wouldn't that leave one stitch on the cable needle? What am I missing.

CureMinorWounds fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Oct 5, 2011

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

CureMinorWounds posted:

Edit: Starting to understand after staring for a while, but I noticed on the stitch key for the chart, the first cable says to sl 3 sts, then to k2, p1 and k2 from cable needle. Wouldn't that leave one stitch on the cable needle? What am I missing.

Nah, this one makes sense after working on this DNA scarf for a bit (that one has a lot of weird asymmetrical cable stitches). You're just working with an odd number of stitches here. Three of them are held on the cable needle, the next two are knitted. Then the stitches on the cable needle are worked--the first one purled, the second two knit. Picture it like two cables, each two stitches wide, with a purl in the middle. :3:

You can try translating the chart, but it might not make it any easier. A friend of mine has terrible difficulty working with charts, so she translated one for a lace pattern. She had to frog her project and edit the chart several times due to typos and whatnot. :ohdear:

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Basic Beater posted:

Hey, ladies of knitting, if I'm knitting a hat like this

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/turn-a-square

for a girl, should I make it taller/longer or whatever to accommodate hair length?

Keep it the way it is. I made that exact same hat for my brother for Christmas last year using my own head as a guide (we're both 6'1" guys) and his wife (5'1" girl) wears it all the time and it looks fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unoriginal
May 12, 2001
I'm about to order some needles to make myself some socks and I was wondering if anyone had any advice. Which method is easier - one circular needle or two? I'm going to follow one of the tutorials that you guys directed me to last time, but I can't decide which one looks less complicated or if it's entirely personal preference. I definitely have to make them two at a time, even if it's a little more complicated, or I'll probably never knit the second one.