Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TalonDemonKing
May 4, 2011

Iacen posted:

I'd appreciate a combination of potions and proper abilities. Isn't that what the XP bar would lead to, some passive or active abilities for the player character?

My hope? Abilities you can purchase with XP gained. Like bonus damage on attacks after sprinting, or moving at full speed with a bow charged. Or you regenerate HP all the time (Just faster with more food).

More than just number changes, y'know? (This is a lie, I would love to have diamond-armor skin)

That being said, I really want shields and more weapons for the adventure updates. Like Sidegrades to the sword, a spear could do more damage than a sword after sprinting, but less normally. Maybe you could chuck it, too.

Extended 2x2 mod did shields wonderfully. Too bad the rest of the mod was annoying.

TalonDemonKing fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Sep 27, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Bacons posted:

Curious and would like to check it out myself, care to give the seed?

It should be 1525855357 if I used the tool right.

Here's a view of it. The red circle is spawn. Hopefully all the caverns form the same way, since you'll find a small but decent one on the surface, and a very well hidden one sort-of close by.

I'm pretty happy with my little farming island as it is. I've got a few more structures to build and the lighthouse needs to be finished, but it's coming along nicely.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Fuego Fish posted:

Bottles! :swoon:

What's the icon for speed supposed to be, though?

Balon posted:

Gust of wind!

It looks more like wings on heels to me, as in Mercury. (Actually it looks more like some albino eagle's claw, but that's probably because Jeb drew it himself.)

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

Vib Rib posted:

I want to point out that the stats all have a colon in them, not a decimal point.
They aren't listed values. They're times. What does it mean?

They could be ratios! :eng101:

FidgetyRat
Feb 1, 2005

Contemplating the suckiness of people since 1982

chippy posted:

They could be ratios! :eng101:

I figured it was the current level such as you are level 2 in running of possible 45, so 2:45

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
I'm thinking not as some of them have a roman numeral after the category (like Speed II) so I'm thinking that's the level, as Speed II then has 1:34 under it.

I don't really think they're ratios though.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
I'd guess the times are cooldowns, but a 6-and-a-half minute cooldown for a jumping spell is pretty crazy. Then again, this is Minecraft, the magical game where real-life time speeds up ("I've been playing for four hours?!").

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
Time makes sense for speed and holding your breath, but jumping and strength less so. That is, unless it denotes a cooldown, or possibly a maximum limit. You can only jump once every 6.34 seconds, perhaps.

Although that still doesn't make much sense :(

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

QUACKING PERMABANNED! READ HERE

~SMcD
Maybe that's how much time you have to spend jumping before it levels up again?

Fuego Fish posted:

Time makes sense for speed and holding your breath, but jumping and strength less so. That is, unless it denotes a cooldown, or possibly a maximum limit. You can only jump once every 6.34 seconds, perhaps.

I doubt it, because that would be loving terrible.

beef express
Sep 7, 2005

The highest technique is to have no technique.
Does anyone know of any mapping software that lets you put landmark notes in? I'm trying to map out my SP world with points of interest but once the mapsize gets large it gets kinda cumbersome to put them in manually.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Macaluso posted:

Another call out by Notch! Simon and Lewis!

mrwuss posted:

He's a bit behind in the times!

I just found the yogscast for myself a few days ago. It was my first time seeing Minecraft in action, aside from screenshots and some very short videos.
Now I've given Notch my money and am playing as Vinceborg from Barkley: Shut Up and Jam Gaiden.

It all happened so fast.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Vatek posted:

I doubt it, because that would be loving terrible.

I think I'm going to go with "placeholder numbers that mean nothing" for the time being, because frankly without any further information it's just random stabs in the dark.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

Schwarzwald posted:

I just found the yogscast for myself a few days ago. It was my first time seeing Minecraft in action, aside from screenshots and some very short videos.
Now I've given Notch my money and am playing as Vinceborg from Barkley: Shut Up and Jam Gaiden.

It all happened so fast.

Yogscast got me in to Minecraft too. A friend showed me Stranded (or whatever it was called where the two of them are left to survive on a small island) and I was hooked.

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

Schwarzwald posted:

It all happened so fast.

If you think the base game is awesome, just wait until you start modding it. We even have a thread for it:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3430195

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Guys I think those numbers are potions you can craft. So for example he can craft a Speed II potion that lasts 1:34 seconds.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
New 1.9 prerelease coming this week!

quote:

The plan now is to do another pre release of 1.9 this week. Yeah, it's a beta of a beta. :D It will have item reparing!

Now our items will never break again. :allears:

HitmanAndQuitIt
Sep 13, 2002

dont take extercy
I just presumed it was time left on the buff? I don't get why this is so hard to understand.

Sneaksie Taffer
Sep 21, 2009

Seriously, why is everyone assuming the potions don't work like every other potion in every other game? It gives you a buff for a certain amount of time, that screen is showing how much time is left on each one.

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

~SMcD
Why are we assuming that those are timers for potions and not some part of the exp/levelling system? Speculation itt.

A Lamer
Jul 2, 2006

Vatek posted:

Why are we assuming that those are timers for potions and not some part of the exp/levelling system? Speculation itt.

Because that would be an obtuse and retarded (Beyond typical notch levels) method of displaying it, there's already code for potions in the game, and jeb has glass potion bottles in his inventory.

moondust
Feb 3, 2011

Mo' Problems
Just found this on my 1.8 Creative server, on the lockdown with a whitelist and e'rything.

I.. did lightning do this? There's a fireplace made with netherrack, but if there had been any spread it would have been across the wood floor in front of it - which is intact.

Could it be that lightning struck and then the rain stopped.. so it couldn't extinguish the fire?

Edit: Fuckin' lol nevermind, the duder who built the house tried to convert it from a gold-block fireplace to a proper fire fireplace and things got whacky. I don't think the chances of the server already having lightning strike directly before a storm ends are very good considering its not active 24/7 and it's only been running since 1.8 came out.

moondust fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Sep 27, 2011

HitmanAndQuitIt
Sep 13, 2002

dont take extercy

Vatek posted:

Because Jeb conveniently put a bottle in the screen shot.

I would hope the exp/levelling system offers something more permanent. Notch said that when you die, you lose xp, causing more reason to want to stay alive. And if all it gives you is timed bonuses, what's the point of that?

Sneaksie Taffer
Sep 21, 2009

It just seems like an awfully weird way to format it if it were an exp indicator, especially since we already have exp bar. Why not stick with bars for indicators rather than use colons to seperate two unmarked numbers, which is easily confused for timestamps?

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Vatek posted:

Because that doesn't make sense.

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

~SMcD

A Sassy Dog posted:

Just found this on my 1.8 Creative server, on the lockdown with a whitelist and e'rything.

I.. did lightning do this? There's a fireplace made with netherrack, but if there had been any spread it would have been across the wood floor in front of it - which is intact.

Could it be that lightning struck and then the rain stopped.. so it couldn't extinguish the fire?

Lightning can do that, yeah.

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

wyoming posted:

New 1.9 prerelease coming this week!

Now our items will never break again. :allears:

Would be nice if this was one of the uses for XP. Spend XP to repair items.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Lazy Bastard posted:

How do you guys play minecraft? I see some people building houses while others range far and wide all over their map. For the people that build houses, how do you manage the time and distance that you can explore when you are tied down to one home location? For the nomads, do you still have a home base or do you just wander around until you find something good?

On my private server, we connect our locations through Nether portals.

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

HEY RADICAL LARRY HOW ABOUT A HAIRCUT

****MIC TO THE WILLY***

Toady posted:

On my private server, we connect our locations through Nether portals.

I've only just made my first ever portal on my server. But how do you determine how multiple portals work. Would you build a portal at settlement #2. Enter the nether...and try and locate the portal from settlement #1?

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Oh hell, item repair is coming?
Between that and defensive ability remaining the same regardless of durability, armor is not only useful, it's practical!

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
http://mojang.com/2011/09/27/minecon-speakers-the-yogscast/

This is probably one of the reasons he has a crush on the Yogscast, they're going to be at Minecon.

Jervas Dudley
Feb 18, 2007

Bro and Maplehoof: Go beyond the impossible!
:kamina:
I'm very happy they're adding some kind of water breathing. I'm sick of drowning to get clay.

Has anyone done that survey graph for the new terrain generation? I'm almost ready to give up and start strip mining for diamond. I've found 2 in caves.

blackflare
Dec 6, 2004

I am a Purrrfect Princess

Im ridiculously excited about item repair, most anticipated feature for me :3:

FidgetyRat
Feb 1, 2005

Contemplating the suckiness of people since 1982

blackflare posted:

Im ridiculously excited about item repair, most anticipated feature for me :3:

They mentioned item repair? Would be awesome if so.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Vatek posted:

Lightning can do that, yeah.

That's it. That's the one item Minecraft needs to complete itself:
Lightning rods.

Joda
Apr 24, 2010

When I'm off, I just like to really let go and have fun, y'know?

Fun Shoe

Schwarzwald posted:

Lightning rods.

This shouldn't be too hard. Just have the game check every time there's a lightning strike where the highest point within, say, a 20 block radius is and have it strike there. At least that's prob how I'd prefer to have it done.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Joda posted:

This shouldn't be too hard. Just have the game check every time there's a lightning strike where the highest point within, say, a 20 block radius is and have it strike there. At least that's prob how I'd prefer to have it done.

Yeah, but we need some kind of lightning rod we can place, like say on top of the town hall, otherwise how are we going to get the 1.21 gigawatts we need to activate the time circuit?

Hexadecimal Gnome
Apr 20, 2008

~a crackerjack typist~

Macaluso posted:

Another call out by Notch! Simon and Lewis!

I think it might have been to do with this (hells yeah): http://mojang.com/2011/09/27/minecon-speakers-the-yogscast/

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Schwarzwald posted:

Lightning rods.

I don't want to be forced to put uglyass lighting rods all over the place though. having a hundred open flames light your house is impractical enough.

ENJOY THE MEATHOSE
Jun 7, 2007

Yeah I'm pretty sure those numbers next to the potion effects are times.

Also, so me and my server buddies are starting a new map, and we're looking for a good seed. Ideally we want a small-medium sized starting island, that's a short trip away from a larger mainland. I've looked through the whole thread, but most of the seeds I'm finding are either a ton of tiny islands, or super huge continents.

P.S. Rivers would be cool too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galactic
Mar 25, 2009

Planetary

A Sassy Dog posted:

I suggest not making fireplaces with netherrack right now, there seems to be a bug that anything flammable above it (even when seperated by a non flammable block) will get set ablaze.