Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Berk Berkly
Apr 9, 2009

by zen death robot

AlmightyBob posted:

You take a sip from your trusty Vault 13 canteen.

I just pretend it is filled with whatever super-booze I have on me. It makes it more amusing then when that happens in cutscenes.

"We need you to bomb these irradiated vaultanium Deathjaws."
[ Barter 25: I'm going to need some real jink for this poo poo. ]
[ Intelligence 7: Your loving kidding me right? ]
[ gently caress it. Just tell me where to go. ]
You take a sip from your trusty Vault 13 canteen.

Berk Berkly fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Sep 27, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lets Fuck Bro
Apr 14, 2009
Nothing to do with New Vegas but I saw this on Rock Paper Shotgun and had to share it. Not only does Interplay apparently still exist, but they just won the rights from Bethesda to create a Fallout MMO: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/09/26/bethesda-barred-from-barring-fallout-mmo/

Interplay? MMO? What??

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Lets gently caress Bro posted:

Nothing to do with New Vegas but I saw this on Rock Paper Shotgun and had to share it. Not only does Interplay apparently still exist, but they just won the rights from Bethesda to create a Fallout MMO: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/09/26/bethesda-barred-from-barring-fallout-mmo/

Interplay? MMO? What??

There has been a Fallout MMO in the works for at least over a year now.

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

SeanBeansShako posted:

There has been a Fallout MMO in the works for at least over a year now.

Longer then that, I think. I believe rumors about it started around the release of Fallout 3.

edit: vvv ahahah, that sounds about right.

Deep Thoreau fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Sep 27, 2011

Lets Fuck Bro
Apr 14, 2009
According to a link in the article its been underway since 2006.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Lets gently caress Bro posted:

According to a link in the article its been underway since 2006.

Really? I'm glad Interplay won the rights really, after Fallout New Vegas Fallout 3 and its DLC really do look inferior to the whole series in quite a few respects now.

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

SeanBeansShako posted:

Really? I'm glad Interplay won the rights really, after Fallout New Vegas Fallout 3 and its DLC really do look inferior to the whole series in quite a few respects now.

Agreed. The Fallout 3 DLC seems pretty shallow now in comparison to NV and it's DLC. Even Gun Runners’ Arsenal, which are just weapons, seems really well done. I'd play the poo poo out of the new weapons. All of them.

edit: vvv I think they have a dude who signs for packages and mail, now.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Does Interplay even employ anybody besides lawyers these days? I was under the impression they've only existed to fight over rights for the past few years.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.
IIRC when Interplay went under they sold the Fallout game rights to Bethesda but kept the MMO rights for it. In order to keep those rights they have to look like they're doing something with the license, so they keep pretending to make that MMO or something.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Well, with the Vault 13 canteen and katana plus all the other Gun Runners weapons coming out today, I guess it's time to make my third character and do a Hardcore Run. As a poster above me pointed out, the katana means this is going to be a Hardcore "Buddy" Run. I might also be needing a certain someone's guitar.

Akalies
May 31, 2000

Mozi posted:

Does Interplay even employ anybody besides lawyers these days? I was under the impression they've only existed to fight over rights for the past few years.

Chris Taylor (Fallout 1 Lead Designer), and Mark O'Green (Fallout 1/2 writer) are both working on the project. I wish them luck, but I really have my doubts about interplay producing anything of quality. I'm actually worried it'll end up weakening the brand again, leading us back to the lovely pre-FO3 days of crappy spinoffs (BOS) and underfunded games (FOT).

Best case scenario (if the mmo actually ends up going ahead) is Bethesda accepts it's being made, and helps fund/guide it.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Man some of the gun runner quest names little meme-y but what you actually have to do for most of them are great.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

The Oath Breaker's about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!

Tewratomeh posted:

Well, with the Vault 13 canteen and katana plus all the other Gun Runners weapons coming out today, I guess it's time to make my third character and do a Hardcore Run.

I'm getting the same feeling. A Hardcore run with Wild Wasteland should be fun.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Even if it's Fallout it's still going to be an MMO, and unless it does some revolutionary stuff instead of just being WoW/EQ with a Fallout coat of paint on it, I won't be interested. Co-op Fallout would kick rear end, but not if it's the typical whack-a-mole MMO gameplay I don't care for.

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Rope kid (or anyone): Do you have any information reguarding the Steam Cloud service and FNV? I was really excited to see that it would back up my saved games when it first came out. Then it ruined the game for everyone by overwriting new saves with older, backed up ones, so they disabled Steam Cloud. Has this been fixed or does it still just back up only .ini settings?

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Yeah, from what I hear the earlier Fallout games were turn-based and not as action-y as the modern ones, but I'm used to the more beat-em-up/shoot-em-up feel of the new games. I probably couldn't go back and try the old ones, nor could I probably stomach a "sit-and-watch-your-character-and-click-on-icons" MMO game either.

Berk Berkly
Apr 9, 2009

by zen death robot

Tewratomeh posted:

Yeah, from what I hear the earlier Fallout games were turn-based and not as action-y as the modern ones, but I'm used to the more beat-em-up/shoot-em-up feel of the new games. I probably couldn't go back and try the old ones, nor could I probably stomach a "sit-and-watch-your-character-and-click-on-icons" MMO game either.

It was kind of like the X-COM games. More tactical turn/resource based.

It isn't like we didn't have fast pace action games back then though. There was Warcraft/Starcraft, Doom/Quakes n' clones, Diablo and so on.

The trend of "Lets turn everything into an FPS(with some RPG elements for extra Skinner-Boxyness)!" has really rubbed off, hasn't it?

Akalies
May 31, 2000

Tewratomeh posted:

Yeah, from what I hear the earlier Fallout games were turn-based and not as action-y as the modern ones,

The first two were definitely slow as far as combat was concerned. Especially early on, where you'd be plinking away at a guy with a pipe rifle hoping to have enough AP to reach cover after critically missing every shot. Then his ten homeboys would take their turn. Then all the junkies would, one at a time, slowly shuffle away from the fight.

Now I feel the need to replay those.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Berk Berkly posted:

The trend of "Lets turn everything into an FPS(with some RPG elements for extra Skinner-Boxyness)!" has really rubbed off, hasn't it?
Well, if Bethesda's F3 had just been iso/turn-based like the originals I probably wouldn't have got into it as much as I did. It's just more immersive to put you down on the ground and see through a character's eyes.

People like to poo poo on F3 and its faults now, but to ignore that it still laid one hell of a foundation for New Vegas and any future Fallout games is kinda ignorant IMO.

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Cowcaster posted:

Man some of the gun runner quest names little meme-y but what you actually have to do for most of them are great.

meme-y in what way? What kind of quests are there? I must know :allears:

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Bash Ironfist posted:

meme-y in what way? What kind of quests are there? I must know :allears:

I'm just going off what I see here: http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Gun_Runners%27_Arsenal#Challenges

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
"The Same Could Be Said of All Religious Weapons" :allears:

CommanderCoffee
Feb 27, 2011

Ladies.
Well, after a discussion with a friend last night, I'm making a screenshot semi-Let's Play on Facebook through New Vegas as Ronald Reagan. Not for any reason other than it'll probably end hilariously.

Edit: My favorite GRA Challenge has to be "A Slave Obeys". Because, you gotta plan way ahead of time for it.

CommanderCoffee fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Sep 27, 2011

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Cowcaster posted:

I'm just going off what I see here: http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Gun_Runners%27_Arsenal#Challenges

Well Sic Semper Tyranis is not the two-star challenge I'll be going for in my NCR run :stare:

A Slave Obeys and Even a God-King can Bleed are also loving awesome.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
I'd probably say New Vegas is my favourite Fallout game, simply because of the level of immersion. In the iso fallouts, it was bad when you run across some deathclaws. Now when you're exploring and you see a pack of something running towards you then when you look with your binoculars it's some deathclaws there's a definite "Holy gently caress!" moment. Especially when they pounce on your companions, rip them to shreds and you have to try to book it out of there because your weapon's hosed up and you've got no explosives.

And it wouldn't have been possible without FO3, so it has that going for it. Plus all things considered Fallout 3 was actually a pretty decent game.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Berk Berkly posted:

Well it works for me because I find those games to be fun. But that's my personal opinion, I know a lot of people like tactical and/or turn-based games. I think they're boring and I'm bad at them, so I'm glad we have games like the new Fallouts, Vampire: Bloodlines, Deus Ex, etc. I don't mind RPG's with deep storylines and robust character creation/stat-building, but I don't want to have to read a 100 page manual before I even start a game.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing
"If they're a benefit, it's not my problem."

Catsworth
Sep 30, 2009

Who doesn't wanna be Johnny Cat?

So I found a new mod which I think is really cool and I wanted to share my new character with you guys. I apologize if this falls into the more "Fanfic" category, but... I think you guys might appreciate it at least a little bit.

My body sat upright on the mattress feeling hard and cold but otherwise no serious repercussions from the incident. It was like a switch had been flipped back on.

The male human doctor commented on how odd I seemed but I offered him the rebuttal that I was the normal one. In fact, I was exactly alike all of my friends. Some would even say, born from the same mold. They would not be incorrect.

I reiterated to the man that the male human thug who attacked me severely underestimated my capabilities. You could almost say I was designed to take bullets to the head with the utmost efficiency. That would be mostly correct.

This man. This doctor man. Many questions were asked. It seemed an eternity had surpassed us as I processed his tests. His diagnostics. It was for my benefit he assured me.

Before I could depart to my destination to exact my revenge on the male human thug I had to run my global positioning system. It pin-pointed my exact location as well as the best route to my destination. It would not be long now.

C0URIER_6 Online and Fully Functional. Exacting JusticeProtocol.Exe.

Catsworth fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Sep 27, 2011

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Catsworth posted:

So I found a new mod which I think is really cool and I wanted to share my new character with you guys. I apologize if this falls into the more "Fanfic" category, but... I think you guys might appreciate it at least a little bit.

My body sat upright on the mattress feeling hard and cold but otherwise no serious repercussions from the incident. It was like a switch had been flipped back on.

The male human doctor commented on how odd I seemed but I offered him the rebuttal that I was the normal one. In fact, I was exactly alike all of my friends. Some would even say, born from the same mold. They would not be incorrect.

I reiterated to the man that the male human thug who attacked me severely underestimated my capabilities. You could almost say I was designed to take bullets to the head with the utmost efficiency. That would be mostly correct.

This man. This doctor man. Many questions were asked. It seemed an eternity had surpassed us as I processed his tests. His diagnostics. It was for my benefit he assured me.

Before I could depart to my destination to exact my revenge on the male human thug I had to run my global positioning system. It pin-pointed my exact location as well as the best route to my destination. It would not be long now.

C0URIER_6 Online and Fully Functional. Exacting JusticeProtocol.Exe.

Yeah, the robot race is pretty awesome. I tried using it, but the hands were pink :(

Robot+that exploding fist weapon would be an amazing combination. :allears:

edit: vvv hmm, I might have to give it another try then. I'm debating if I should play more. I really want to try out the new DLC weapons, but I can't afford the DLC for a while. Might just mess around long enough to get a suit for the robot that doesn't have pink hands.

Deep Thoreau fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Sep 27, 2011

Catsworth
Sep 30, 2009

Who doesn't wanna be Johnny Cat?

Bash Ironfist posted:

Yeah, the robot race is pretty awesome. I tried using it, but the hands were pink :(

Robot+that exploding fist weapon would be an amazing combination. :allears:

I think it has to do with certain outfits. The starting vault suit you're given did that to me too, but I also downloaded the Tailor Maid one I think it's called that added a bunch of outfits and the Contract Killer suit looks really good on the murder bot. :c00lbert:

Amoxicilina
Oct 21, 2008

Cowcaster posted:

'Kill Benny with his own gun, Maria.'

How the hell is this even possible? I assume unique weapons cannot be pickpocketed. I've tried to pickpocket the mysterious magnum from the lonesome drifter and all he carries is .44 ammo. But if you even get near benny in the tops he'll auto talk to you as well. Does he still carry it if he escapes to the legion fort and gets captured?

also

'Kill Mojave Wasteland Mr. Gutsys and Sentry Bots with Brass Knuckles, Spiked Knuckles, Tire Irons, and Lead Pipes.'

this is NOT a 3 star challenge

THIS is a goddamn 10 star challange

'Kill Mojave Wasteland Cazadores with Tin Grenades, Long Fuse Dynamite, and Time Bombs. '

Good god and no thanks.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Berk Berkly posted:

In Bethesda's defense, they've pretty much always made first-person RPGs.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

So I'm planning a quick power-start:
- INT/LCK at 9, Skilled + Good Natured for Traits, Tag Lockpick/???/??? (leaning towards Barter & Guns)
- Cemetary snowglobe + stealth boy from school
- Sneak past deathclaw highway to McCarran
- Buy NCR clothes, get This Machine (Hack Contreras PC & turn him in) + La Longue Carabine (Kill Corporal Sterling), take tram to Vegas.
- Get 4000 for 2 snowglobes
- Get INT implant
- Go to the Divide, grab Riot Gear and ED-E (can you even take him back with you to Mojave?)
* Gamble some money to repair your riot gear or somehow figure out how to get 100 lockpick at this ridiculously low level?
- Begin OWB at level 1-2 and get The Sink all pimped out (or just do the main quest, go back to mojave to begin the game and pimp out the Sink later?)

I'll also be using Project Nevada to make the following tweaks to the game damage/combat formulas:
code:
Difficulty - Hard, Hardcore Off
Weapon Damage Skill Influence - 50%
Ammo Rarity - 10%
Leveling Rate - 75% 
Minimum Damage (DT Bleedthrough) - 15%
This should put a little more focus into weapon skills for actually being able to be good with them while also making ammo a bit more scarce and slowing my leveling even more but not too much.

Amoxicilina posted:

'Kill Mojave Wasteland Cazadores with Tin Grenades, Long Fuse Dynamite, and Time Bombs. '

Good god and no thanks.

This should be easy if you can sneak up on the fuckers. I know there's a nice cluster of them near the underwater bomber in a dock/warehouse I can always come up from the water and bomb the gently caress out of. Even easier if you do OWB's first.

EDIT: Lockpick to 100 early on thanks to MK

Mikael Kreoss posted:

Someone from the last thread wanted me to explain how to land the riot gear/shotgun/red glare at level 4.

Well, basically you take skilled twice, using the rebuild character DM perk glitch, have 9 int and 5 per (like most of my builds since I am an unimaginative gently caress.) tag Lockpick and pick up the locksmith's reader from Goodsprings. you'll have base 16 plus ten for skilleds, plus fifteen for the tag. Add in a total of 44 skillpoints to hit 85. "But even with the plus ten for the Reader, that's not enough!!!" you say. Well guess what, you get +2 points per PER, so get yourself a loving cowboy hat and`some Mentats to land a cool 91 base +10 for the Magazine.

But the fun part is getting there. That's where you seperate the men from the men-children with too much time on their hands :c00l::respek::spergin:

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Sep 30, 2011

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Amoxicilina posted:

'Kill Benny with his own gun, Maria.'

How the hell is this even possible? I assume unique weapons cannot be pickpocketed. I've tried to pickpocket the mysterious magnum from the lonesome drifter and all he carries is .44 ammo. But if you even get near benny in the tops he'll auto talk to you as well. Does he still carry it if he escapes to the legion fort and gets captured?

i think it's possible to shoot weapons out of peoples hands in VATS. Never use VATS, so not 100% certain.

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

- INT/LCK at 9, Skilled + Good Natured for Traits, Tag Lockpick/???/??? (leaning towards Barter & Guns)
- Buy NCR clothes, get This Machine, take tram to Vegas.
- Get INT implant
- Go to the Divide, grab Riot Gear and ED-E (can you even take him back with you to Mojave?)
* Gamble some money to repair your riot gear or somehow figure out how to get 100 lockpick at this ridiculously low level?
- Begin OWB at level 1-2 and get The Sink all pimped out (or just do the main quest, go back to mojave to begin the game and pimp out the Sink later?)

haha, I like this. You might want to tag speech. It can help with dialogue options. Other then that, let us know how it works out!

Fag Boy Jim posted:

i think it's possible to shoot weapons out of peoples hands in VATS. Never use VATS, so not 100% certain.

I'm pretty sure you can. I believe I shot dynamite out of the hands of powder gangers.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
you should be able to get four snowglobes near the start; Goodsprings, the Mormon Fort, Vault 21, and the Lucky 38. The only one that requires any skill is Vault 21, which requires either lockpicking, or sneak (to pick the front desk attendant's pocket)

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Or the poster with the Clint Eastwood looking character who actually posts about the poo poo he does, those are p fun.

Mighty kind of you to say so :clint:

Assuming you're talking about my guy :shobon:

I really should pack a revolver on my next run, complete the look. But I just love my ridiculous 1911. Extended and hardened slide, compensator, extended mag, fiber optic sights, etc.

Ridiculous :haw:

At least I've got a lever action to balance things out:

A lever action 12 gauge, that is :clint:

Amoxicilina
Oct 21, 2008

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Not exactly, but yes kinda. All of the upgrades you find for the lonesome road ed-e will automatically get applied to the 'real' ed-e after you finish.

edit: I THINK that may only apply if you do not sacrifice him to stop the launch, though I cannot be sure. I just nuked the ncr and legion.

Amoxicilina fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Sep 27, 2011

Mikael Kreoss
Feb 13, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

- Buy NCR clothes, get This Machine, take tram to Vegas.
- Get INT implant

This should be easy if you can sneak up on the fuckers. I know there's a nice cluster of them near the underwater bomber in a dock/warehouse I can always come up from the water and bomb the gently caress out of. Even easier if you do OWB's first.
I posted a guide to level 4 100 lockpick on, like, the first page. I'd link it but the SA droid app is truly Awful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Is that poncho a mod? Want that poncho. And those glasses. And the hat.

and gun runners but gently caress my empty bank account :mad:

I will settle for information on how to get that sweet outfit.