Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

I checked both Macintosh HD/Library/Preferences and User/Library/Preferences. I'm clear.

Out of curiosity which does the tilde refer to?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

edit: ^^^ ~ is a wildcard that means your home directory, e.g. /Users/yourname/

Abel Wingnut posted:

Yesterday I installed a Flash update. Now I learn there's malware spreading around under the guise of a Flash update. How can I tell if my Flash update was legitimate?

It seems like a legitimate copy. I didn't click any buttons; the update just appeared like other Flash updates have. I just want to ensure my system is still safe and sound.

Do you remember what the installer looked like? This article has screenshots and descriptions of both.

carry on then fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Sep 27, 2011

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

Looked like the latter screenshot. Should be good to go.

Thanks, guys.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

The joke is that Adobe would never willingly use the standard installer :v:

angrytech
Jun 26, 2009

carry on then posted:

The joke is Adobe:v:

I am so thankful that IOS doesn't support flash. I don't care how :spergin: it makes me, I will be forever greatful to Jobs for making that call.

Jiro Kage
Aug 6, 2003

PICKLE SURPRISE!
Would someone please recommend a good image viewer? I'd like one that can display animated gifs, along with large amounts of images. Irfanview was perfect but they have no mac version.

false image
Nov 24, 2004

filthy Americans... praise Allah

Jiro Kage posted:

Would someone please recommend a good image viewer? I'd like one that can display animated gifs, along with large amounts of images. Irfanview was perfect but they have no mac version.

I generally use Preview, but a good alternative is Xee

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

angrytech posted:

I am so thankful that IOS doesn't support flash. I don't care how :spergin: it makes me, I will be forever greatful to Jobs for making that call.

Absolutely. I cannot believe how bad flash is on YouTube for example. On a freshly installed machine, running Chrome, viewing a video using flash on a website built by the same god drat company as the browser and yet it still somehow does not work.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Decline posted:

I recently purchased a new iMac and Thunderbolt Display for work. The display came early - is there a way to use this with my mid-2009 Macbook Pro? If I can't, it's not a big deal. My new iMac will be here at the end of the week,
Nope, at least until someone comes out with a (probably expensive) adapter. I remember some company/companies saying they were working on it but I don't think anything has come out yet. And this is more of a hardware topic.

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

It's a good thing Apple prevents you from viewing your Library by default in Lion. :suicide:
Well at least they added the semi recent PDF trojan to their malware thing v:shobon:v. Wonder how long it'll take them to get this Flash one.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Granite Octopus posted:

Absolutely. I cannot believe how bad flash is on YouTube for example. On a freshly installed machine, running Chrome, viewing a video using flash on a website built by the same god drat company as the browser and yet it still somehow does not work.

Wouldn't this be the fault of Chrome? Never had a problem with Flash using Firefox. Even using Safari without any ad block extension Youtube works fine.

Harry Totterbottom
Dec 19, 2008

Granite Octopus posted:

If it completely fails to load then it could be plugins causing the issue.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Co-worker has this weird issue with Lion and Safari.

When you click on a file to download it, the file usually jumps off the page and goes to the download button in the toolbar. Well the downloads go to that button, but then the button disappears immediately after the file is done downloading. Manually adding the button back to the toolbar keeps the button from going away, but you can't click on the button after the file is downloaded to easily go to it and really defeats the purpose of it.

Any ideas?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Astro7x posted:

Co-worker has this weird issue with Lion and Safari.

When you click on a file to download it, the file usually jumps off the page and goes to the download button in the toolbar. Well the downloads go to that button, but then the button disappears immediately after the file is done downloading. Manually adding the button back to the toolbar keeps the button from going away, but you can't click on the button after the file is downloaded to easily go to it and really defeats the purpose of it.

Any ideas?
Change this.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Wow I'd like to be as smart as a computer
Hey there I think maybe some of you can help me, I just received a PowerMac Performa 6400/180 from 1996, the thing is working wonderfully hardware-wise, HOWEVER (there's always one) it's running a broken install of Mac OS 8.5.1 (boot but it's missing a lot of system files, it seems I can't read HFS+ formatted CDs burned from my Macbook running Lion). I would love to downgrade to 7.6.1, however I can't really transfer files to it as Apple dropped support for HFS Standard in OS X for a few versions... Assuming I have the required files for installation of 7.6, how can I transfer files to the Performa 6400?

I tried booting of a Network Access 7.5 Floppy, but the Performa 6400 can't boot from it. It also seems I can't transfer any files by CD using ISO 9660, as every files comes off corrupted (error type -39)

I have access to:

MacBook Pro running Lion
PC with Windows 7 64bit
PC with Windows 98SE
PC with MS-DOS 6.22

Note that I have a USB floppy drive.

Thanks to people who can help me with my antiquated question.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Does anyone know if there's a way to increase the scroll speed of Safari/Chrome if you're using your keyboard to scroll through a webpage? For example, if I hold down the space bar it forwards the page by X number of lines, but the animation to scroll those X lines is pretty slow in contrast to what I'd like. Same for shift-space to scroll backwards, etc.

It's a good thing Apple prevents you from viewing your Library by default in Lion. :suicide:

Agreed that this is a terrible decision, but in case anyone didn't already see this tip:

if you want to see your Library you can either go through the steps to manually unhide it, OR you can hold down the Opt key while clicking on "Go" in Finder's menubar and that'll show Library in the dropdown.

Such a pain in the rear end though.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Change this.

Strange, that was set to manual and it is still doing it. Oh well, I am going to assume her kids did something to her computer, thanks for the help though.

x-virge
May 25, 2003

Martytoof posted:

Does anyone know if there's a way to increase the scroll speed of Safari/Chrome if you're using your keyboard to scroll through a webpage? For example, if I hold down the space bar it forwards the page by X number of lines, but the animation to scroll those X lines is pretty slow in contrast to what I'd like. Same for shift-space to scroll backwards, etc.

If I understand what you're asking, I think this speed is dependent on the Key Repeat rate you have set in Keyboard preferences.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

Olivil posted:

Hey there I think maybe some of you can help me, I just received a PowerMac Performa 6400/180 from 1996, the thing is working wonderfully hardware-wise, HOWEVER (there's always one) it's running a broken install of Mac OS 8.5.1 (boot but it's missing a lot of system files, it seems I can't read HFS+ formatted CDs burned from my Macbook running Lion). I would love to downgrade to 7.6.1, however I can't really transfer files to it as Apple dropped support for HFS Standard in OS X for a few versions... Assuming I have the required files for installation of 7.6, how can I transfer files to the Performa 6400?

I tried booting of a Network Access 7.5 Floppy, but the Performa 6400 can't boot from it. It also seems I can't transfer any files by CD using ISO 9660, as every files comes off corrupted (error type -39)

I have access to:

MacBook Pro running Lion
PC with Windows 7 64bit
PC with Windows 98SE
PC with MS-DOS 6.22

Here is something to get you started in the right direction. The software is not free, but it may help guide you to somewhere better.

http://www.macdisk.com/hybbooten.php

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

Martytoof posted:

Agreed that this is a terrible decision, but in case anyone didn't already see this tip:

if you want to see your Library you can either go through the steps to manually unhide it, OR you can hold down the Opt key while clicking on "Go" in Finder's menubar and that'll show Library in the dropdown.

Such a pain in the rear end though.

Or you can use cmd-shift-G and type in ~/Library if you're a ~*keyboard speed junkie*~ like me.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

wafflesnsegways posted:

Why sparrow? Since I'm on gmail, I feel like I already have two good options already, the gmail website and mail.app. What about sparrow makes you recommend it?

Mails turned into bit of a wreck in lion if you ask me. The three column mode is more or less unuseable. Its just not a good idea.

And the "classic" mode seems to have some bug on my machine where sometime is sort of bleeds into the reading pane when scrolling.

Sparrow is a delight, by contrast, and it manages to actually feel more like it belongs in lion than lion's default mail itself.

e: That said one of my mail accounts is still on the original lion mail app. Does anybody know how to turn off message threading in lion mail?

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Wow I'd like to be as smart as a computer

Olivil posted:

I have access to:

MacBook Pro running Lion
PC with Windows 7 64bit
PC with Windows 98SE
PC with MS-DOS 6.22

Managed to add HFS support to Lion using MacFuse and fusehfs, transferred the 19 7.5.3 system files to the Performa, made a disktool2 bootable floppy, tried to install 7.5.3, says the installer is not compatible. I know I need the System Enabler 410 v1.1 (which I have, and I transferred it to the Performa) however does any one know if it's possible to ''add'' a system enabler to the installer or force the installation, I'll add the system enabler to the system folder through the boot floppy?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

x-virge posted:

If I understand what you're asking, I think this speed is dependent on the Key Repeat rate you have set in Keyboard preferences.

Will try to increase this, thanks!

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I've been clinging to Thoth as my newsreader because the Newswatcher style is the only kind I really like. Is there anything like this that will run under Lion?

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.
I need a calendar program (cloud hosted is fine) where I can print a month calendar view that prints with all my calendar's notes. The programs I've tried will print a month just fine, but they don't include each event's notes.

Any suggestions?

rsjr
Nov 2, 2002

yay for protoss being so simple that retards can win with it
Trying to log into my server via SSH with Terminal and a private key. I generated the key pair with Puttygen in Windows a long time ago, but I've exported the private key in openssh format. It's in id_rsa in ~/.ssh, but for some reason it keeps getting rejected. It's permissions are set correctly and everything.

Is there anything else I needed to do that I'm missing?

EDIT: Whoops, I'm an idiot and used an old private key fffggjj

rsjr fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Sep 28, 2011

foodfight
Feb 10, 2009
Not sure if this is the best place to ask this, but I'm wanting to know the best method to go about doing a clean install of my OS on my Macbook. I've got OS X Lion with time machine backups. Should I create an install dvd/usb, do a fresh install deleting everything and then restore from Time Machine? Seems like there are 3-4 ways of doing this.

Jolan
Feb 5, 2007
I do not want Text Editor to re-open unsaved documents I had open when I quit the application. In SL, I would just hit cmd-Q and discard changes, so that next time I opened the app, I got a blank slate. In Lion, I only have the option of not saving previously saved documents, so all unsaved documents that I had open will have to be manually closed one by one to prevent them from returning upon opening the app again. And this sucks immensely. How can I fix this?

My PIN is 4826
Aug 30, 2003

foodfight posted:

Not sure if this is the best place to ask this, but I'm wanting to know the best method to go about doing a clean install of my OS on my Macbook. I've got OS X Lion with time machine backups. Should I create an install dvd/usb, do a fresh install deleting everything and then restore from Time Machine? Seems like there are 3-4 ways of doing this.

Definitely USB stick if Lion lets you do one (not adopted yet so I don't know)

I prefer making a time machine backup but not using the built in restore function, so I just go into the folder structure and get the files I want when I need them. I feel it's a good way to keep clutter down and having the set of apps/settings/documents you really need grow back onto your computer in a natural way.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

duck monster posted:

Mails turned into bit of a wreck in lion if you ask me. The three column mode is more or less unuseable. Its just not a good idea.
Personally I would love it and use it all the time if this option wasn't literally useless. It does nothing in three-column mode and I don't know why it's even still enabled.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
I just recently upgraded to OSX Lion and they took away a feature that I used... How can I enable three finger up/down top/bottom of page in Firefox?

Shin-chan
Aug 1, 2008

To be a man you must have honor...
...honor and a penis!

Jolan posted:

I do not want Text Editor to re-open unsaved documents I had open when I quit the application. In SL, I would just hit cmd-Q and discard changes, so that next time I opened the app, I got a blank slate. In Lion, I only have the option of not saving previously saved documents, so all unsaved documents that I had open will have to be manually closed one by one to prevent them from returning upon opening the app again. And this sucks immensely. How can I fix this?

Hold down Option when quitting to select "Quit and Discard Windows".

Use the Keyboard Shortcuts feature in the Keyboard preference pane to permanently make Command-Q "Quit and Discard Windows" for either text edit or all apps that support it.

Modern Pragmatist
Aug 20, 2008
Since upgrading to Lion, my version of Matlab vomits out the following every few seconds
pre:
2011-09-28 16:19:11.532 MATLAB_maci64[99494:8d03] This process is attempting to exclude an item from Time Machine by path without administrator privileges. This is not supported.
Since I'm running the application from the command line, it gets pretty annoying since I'm trying to look at the real output from the program not these warnings.

I tried redirecting stderr when starting the program but that causes all of the errors from the program itself to also be redirected. Is there any way that I can silence this thing?

Jolan
Feb 5, 2007

Shin-chan posted:

Hold down Option when quitting to select "Quit and Discard Windows".

Use the Keyboard Shortcuts feature in the Keyboard preference pane to permanently make Command-Q "Quit and Discard Windows" for either text edit or all apps that support it.

No; that option discards changes in saved documents, not in unsaved ones. So if I had an old .rtf file open and I fiddled with it, cmd-option-Q would close it without saving and not open it again on my next use of Text Editor, but if I opened a new blank file and pasted a bunch of text in it and then hit cmd-option-Q, it would still re-open on next Text Editor launch. And that's what I'm trying to disable.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Is there any reason that downloading an app from the app store would get stuck on "Waiting...", even after signing out/singing back in or rebooting? This is on 10.6.8, clean install/update (and from someone who's new to mac). Rebooting a 2nd time seems to have fixed it :iiam: Still doing it on the rest of the apps I was going to download. Weird.

And while I'm already asking, is there any way to hit a key and start typing to bring up programs to launch, like you can with win7/Fedora 15? I know I can probably install something like launchy, but it wouldn't shock me if it's built in and I just need to know the key combo.

Dr. Despair fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Sep 28, 2011

vkeios
May 7, 2007

Mr. Despair posted:

And while I'm already asking, is there any way to hit a key and start typing to bring up programs to launch,
Use Spotlight, I think by default its cmd+space. Otherwise use a 3rd party app like Quicksilver, Quick Search Box, or Alfred.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

x-virge posted:

Actually that was part of it, but what I really wanted to do was to go to System Prefs -> General and disable "Use Smooth Scrolling". That disabled the animation between scrolling and now I can get where I want to be much faster. Thanks :)

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

vkeios posted:

Use Spotlight, I think by default its cmd+space. Otherwise use a 3rd party app like Quicksilver, Quick Search Box, or Alfred.

Awesome, that's exactly what I was looking for!

vtlock
Feb 7, 2003

duck monster posted:

Why use three columns? Two columns + the favorites bar is excellent.

Jeratain
Apr 5, 2004

I have no socially redeeming value.
This is a really basic question, but here it goes.

1. I cannot play XVID AVI files within Quicktime and would prefer to do so without using third party software.
a) I've tried installing Perian, but it doesn't seem to work.
b) I've installed VLC to hold me over, but would prefer to have everything work in QuickTime. Any ideas why Perian doesn't do the trick?

2. What's the best method of streaming an AVI file to a current generation Apple TV? Should I convert it on the fly or are there methods of doing so natively?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

For some reason I had to install Quicktime 7 to play some videos, even AFTER I installer Perian. QuickTime X just would fail to load them for one reason or another.

Lion compatible: http://support.apple.com/kb/dl923

Really, I just set QuickTime 7 to be my default media player. I prefer it to QuickTime X anyway. It'll be sad when they finally discontinue support.