Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lets Fuck Bro
Apr 14, 2009
I thought Dead Money was just fantastic. I haven't played the other DLCs yet but its been the best part of New Vegas for me so far. I really enjoyed the oppressive environment and all the little things you had to watch out for like traps and radios, it created a really consistently tense atmosphere when you know you need to hurry because your health is dropping but need to scrounge around for resources and take time doing it since death is around every corner. I dunno if I'd play a whole game like that but the few hours in the Villa were a great change of pace.

The characters were also fantastic and very well written. Communicating with Christine was really innovative and well done, like nothing I'd ever seen in a video game. I think they missed an opportunity though, it would have been cooler if you had to actually think a bit and figure out what she was trying to say the whole time instead of popping some mentats beforehand and choosing the win button. I don't really get how she got her voice back though. I also loved God, his intro was such a great WTF moment and his character was really very chilling. Another video game first in that I don't think I've ever seen multiple personality disorder not played for laughs but treated as both pathetic and deadly serious. Domino was quite good on his own but not as impressive as the originality of Christine and Dog.

All in all I really liked it, everything about it, I even thought the moral running throughout was well done. The writing was really just characteristically Avellone great. I can't wait to play the other DLCs which are supposedly even better.

Lets Fuck Bro fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Sep 28, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Astroturf Man posted:

Doesn't seem that good compared with the Mantis King/Fist of Rawr. The criticals are lousy and the post-death explosion is fun but seems to do more damage to me than any enemies around.
Two-Step Goodbye on a high Crit Rate build combined with the Implant GRX is like playing pinball with exploding corpses.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Dead Money made me paranoid as gently caress, which was a real problem when you've got hordes of near invincible ghost people coming after you and oh god my gun's out of ammo and Dog is nowhere around.

Getting to and from the belltower was one of the scariest, intense scenes in all of Fallout for me.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Ddraig posted:

Getting to and from the belltower was one of the scariest, intense scenes in all of Fallout for me.

"Well I'm sure he's just exaggerating to put me on ed-

:stare:"

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Yeah I just picked up Jury Rigging for the first time and it completely owns. I'll have to be careful about accidentally recycling a good weapon for some other piece of poo poo though.

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.

Ddraig posted:

Dead Money made me paranoid as gently caress, which was a real problem when you've got hordes of near invincible ghost people coming after you and oh god my gun's out of ammo and Dog is nowhere around.

Three stealthboys.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Wait why was that scary? I had mountains of revolver ammo and I was just dumping on those ghosts. Hell, I didn't even use the hologram gun until the end of the town after I remember I had it.

e: maybe having Bloody Mess made it easier since it always blew off their head and they just died? i didn't summon dog once

Astroturf Man
Nov 2, 2006
Falsifying grassroots support since 2006!

Cicadalek posted:

:words:

Agree on most of the useless perks, but Rad Child is awesome. Sticking at Minor Radiation Poisoning lets you regenerate 2 HP a second (making Dead Money really easy and making stimpacks nearly irrelevant) and only subtracts one point of endurance. I'd seriously rank it as probably the second best perk in the game.

Other useless perks:

Hunter: Nothing this applies against is a challenge.

Cannibal: Only really good for roleplay.

Fortune finder: You'll be swimming in caps regardless.

Lead belly/Irradiated Beauty: Radiation is basically irrelevant.

Ghastly Scavenger: Irrelevant if you have rad child.

Adamantium Skeleton: Doctor's bags are cheap

Tag: You should be swimming in skill points by L30/L50.

Solar Powered: Regeneration rate is one twentieth half (edit: thanks Rope Kid) of the lowest rad poisoning level of Rad Child and only when you're outdoors during the day.

Fight the power: Legion/Brotherhood/NCR aren't the toughest enemies you'll face.

Sneering imperialist: Tribals, etc. aren't very tough to begin with. Cool speech option though.

Alertness: Nobody cares about perception.

Certified Tech: Don't need the components, critical chance bonus against bots apparently bugged.

Roughin it': Well rested bonus just gives you extra XP. You'll already have all the XP you could ever need.

Walker instinct: Better to just take intensive training and get +1 AGL all the time.

Also on other stuff, Ninja is bugged so it only multiplies your existing crit chance by 1.15, it doesn't add 15%. So even if you've got a massive critical chance (like 28% - 10LK + Finesse + Ulysses Duster + First Recon Beret + Built to Destroy), it only adds 4.2% extra.

Astroturf Man fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Sep 28, 2011

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Solar Powered heals 1 hp/sec. as of the last or second-to-last patch.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Ddraig posted:

Dead Money made me paranoid as gently caress
Yeah, Dead Money'll do that. Even after finishing the expansion, I'd still jump a little every time I saw a radio in the game.

Irish Taxi Driver posted:

Three stealthboys.
How the hell did you get three Stealth Boys in Dead Money?

Astroturf Man
Nov 2, 2006
Falsifying grassroots support since 2006!

rope kid posted:

Cheers. That seems more balanced although still rather inferior to rad child.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

You also get +2 to ST, and don't need to be irradiated.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

poptart_fairy posted:

"Well I'm sure he's just exaggerating to put me on ed-

:stare:"

This is why now Dog is always the last to get in place for the gala, as he has to pave my way to the belltower first. Most of it isn't that bad, but that bit underneath the morgue with like four ghost people in the basement fucks me every time.

Assumethisisreal
May 21, 2007

Astroturf Man posted:

Agree on most of the useless perks, but Rad Child is awesome. Sticking at Minor Radiation Poisoning lets you regenerate 2 HP a second (making Dead Money really easy and making stimpacks nearly irrelevant) and only subtracts one point of endurance. I'd seriously rank it as probably the second best perk in the game.
:words:

I'm enjoying this perk discussion. I never knew how awesome Rad Child was! Do any other smart folk have anything to add that us dummies should know?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Assumethisisreal posted:

I'm enjoying this perk discussion. I never knew how awesome Rad Child was! Do any other smart folk have anything to add that us dummies should know?

"Confirmed Bachelor" is a euphemism for being gay.

Assumethisisreal
May 21, 2007

Cowcaster posted:

ARE YOU SERIOUS
:aaaaa:

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
I'm saddened that there's no Nuclear Anomaly perk in New Vegas. I used to love running around as the Hulk. Nerd rage, highly irradiated (with that perk that lets you grow limbs back) and nuclear anomaly. Whenever I got below a certain health level, I would explode and take everyone else out with me then beat them to death with my nerd rage fists.

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.

DaveWoo posted:

I found them. :confused:

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Cowcaster posted:

So from this can we just go ahead and assume Lady Killer makes you a lesbian too?

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Not if you're a dude :quagmire:

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Omnicarus posted:

So from this can we just go ahead and assume Lady Killer makes you a lesbian too?

No, that's Cherchez La Femme.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I have a question regarding Old War Blues. Is there a place where I could see a list of some secret places and stashes in the main open world map - Big MT ? I know I can look through specific locations in the Vault but there is no section for the main big map and I remember there were some nice stashes and places just lying in the open in New Vegas with no map markers and I'm curious about such places in OWB.

Assumethisisreal
May 21, 2007

Cowcaster posted:

I think he was joking :ssh:

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another

Astroturf Man posted:

Other useless perks:

I can't stand having reduced SPECIAL stats but I guess if you don't mind it rad child is alright. The rest of the perks you mentioned I didn't mention because they can be useful in certain circumstances. With 25 perk picks you can afford to have poo poo in there that isn't cutting edge efficiency, and new players are mainly gonna take what sounds cool anyway. I was just trying to warn them away from the ones that have pretty much no use whatsoever, however good they might sound.

Hunter applies to Yao Guai, which might be reason enough for some people. The anti-robot perks might be handy for people sick of OWB scorpions, and Adamantium Skeleton is kind of handy to offset Small Frame if you picked it (though I'm usually only crippled by landmines, so maybe Light Step would be better). The rest of the stuff I would probably not pick except for roleplay either.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

DaveWoo posted:

They're hard to come by but they're there. One really obvious one is in that hallway right outside the kitchen in a conspicuous duffel bag. I'm convinced that was put there specifically to deal with Dog/God. It makes that whole kitchen sequence a lot more tolerable.

edit: Unless it's randomly generated, which it might be :doh:

King Vidiot fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Sep 28, 2011

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Assumethisisreal posted:

I think he was joking :ssh:

I'm not so sure.

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer
DM ghost people were a joke on my unarmed character with that bear trap fist. Basically 1 hit and they go flying. It was those drat radios.

Assumethisisreal
May 21, 2007

Cowcaster posted:

I'm not so sure.

Oh. Yeah, you might be on to something.

Berk Berkly
Apr 9, 2009

by zen death robot
If you are going to do Old World Blues and you are looking for a good perk, definitely pick up Robotics Expert.

It is really worthwhile no matter if you like to blow poo poo up or sneak up and take them down with finesse.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Cowcaster posted:

Oh cool. I didn't know that female characters got different perks from male characters.

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Cicadalek posted:

The skills I can see no reason to take ever are:

Friend of the Night: It's never really too dark to see anywhere, outdoors you can wait til daytime and indoors there will usually be lights on. Also you have a light (hold tab)

Retention: Whenever you read a magazine it's usually to pass a specific skill check, and they last more than long enough for one. Magazines are pretty plentiful, too.

Rad Child: The negatives of radiation sickness outweigh the healing this will give you.

Rad Resistance: Rad-away and Rad-X are so plentiful that radiation is never really a problem the few times you're forced to go near it. Plus radiation suits exist.

Computer Whiz/ Infiltrator: Even if quickload didn't make this redundant, you can just quit out of the computer when you have 1 attempt left and reset the puzzle. Locks only break if you try to use the force option, which you should never ever do unless its a 100% chance or you don't care whats behind the lock.

Rad Absoption: See Rad resistance

Eye for Eye: You can heal crippled limbs instantly with stimpacks in normal mode, and you never want to be crippled. 50% extra damage doesn't mean much if you can't hit anything because of two broken arms and a concussion. In hardcore limbs are harder to heal, but why not just get adamantium skeleton instead?

Mile In Their Shoes: This makes Nightstalker Squeezin's give +1 PER, +5 Poison Resistance, and +5 Stealth. Given that (A)Perception is both very easy to boost (wear a hat) and not a very useful stat outside of unlocking perks,(B)Poison Resistance is made obsolete by doing OWB, which you need to even choose this perk, and (C) OWB also gives you a stealth suit, this is really hard to justify. Also stealth boys and La Fantoma exist. Also nightstalkers are pretty rare outside of Big MT. AUGH THIS PERK SUCKS

Alertness: Entirely obsoleted by ED-E

Entomologist: The only worrisome bugs are Cazadores, but if you have OWB you get a lot of perks that make them easier. If you don't have OWB and Cazadores are a pain then maybe get this.

Perks that boost your XP gain (and Here and Now) aren't really necessary if you're doing sidequests because quests shower you in XP. Maybe if you're doing a speedrun.

Every other perk has the potential to be useful, though obviously some are more useful than others depending on how you play, if you're using hardcore, etc. Now if you want the perks that are generally considered Really Good:

Comprehension: More skill points is always good, and the magazine bonus gives you a lot more options for spending points (for example, you can keep lockpicking at 80, and as long as you keep skill magazines you'll be able to open Very Hard locks after using them)

Educated: More skill points!

Shotgun Surgeon: Amazing if you intend on using shotguns at all

Hand Loader: makes ammo management a lot easier since you can just turn everything into JHP rather than choosing between AP and HP.

Piercing Strike: simply amazing for Unarmed characters.

Sniper: You'll generally be aiming for the head in most cases, since it does more damage. Easier headshots are even better.

Silent Running: A must for Sneaky Dudes

Jury Rigging: Probably the best perk in the game. Not only does it make it possible to repair your sweet armour and weapons without paying fucktons of caps to merchants, it can actually make you a lot of money with weapon repair kits. Pick up a lovely broken minigun, use a couple of repairkits (worth maybe 50 caps apiece) and suddenly you have a full health minigun which is worth hundreds of caps.

Paralyzing Palm: Do you know how easy it is to beat the poo poo out of an enemy when your attacks can turn them into a defenseless heap? Pretty easy actually!

Ninja: Extra crit and crit damage for melee attacks Yes Please

Laser Commander: Kind of like Ninja for laser weapons. Keep in mind this affects Elijah's Advanced LAER, probably making it the most powerful weapon not in the Gun Runner's pack.

Them's Good Eatin: Makes Hardcore a complete breeze. 50% to find decent food and healing items on any living enemy you kill is insane. They can be upgraded to better versions, too. Outside of hardcore the healing isn't too useful but the items still have a very good sell value.

Jesus I typed a lot of lovely words. Maybe just put a link to this in the main post instead of ruining your nice format.

Will do. Let's also make a "What are the most common things Goons didn't know about" list as well.

Leinadi
Sep 14, 2009
Question for rope kid, was there a particular "world/level designer" attached to all the NV DLCs? Because I gotta say that both Honest Hearts and Lonesome Road feature some pretty amazing visuals, especially considering the aging engine. You should definitely pass on some praise to the guys who designed that stuff.

Lonesome Road is noteworthy in the sense that I think it dives into the whole "atomic bomb nightmare" scenario more than ever before in the franchise. Well, The Glow also managed to evoke that kind post-apoc feel of melancholy but that was still different. Lonesome Road really feels "hellish" in a beautiful way.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Leinadi posted:

Question for rope kid, was there a particular "world/level designer" attached to all the NV DLCs? Because I gotta say that both Honest Hearts and Lonesome Road feature some pretty amazing visuals, especially considering the aging engine. You should definitely pass on some praise to the guys who designed that stuff.

Lonesome Road is noteworthy in the sense that I think it dives into the whole "atomic bomb nightmare" scenario more than ever before in the franchise. Well, The Glow also managed to evoke that kind post-apoc feel of melancholy but that was still different. Lonesome Road really feels "hellish" in a beautiful way.

Yeah I loved the tilted buildings and walking between them on knocked over towers. Much cooler than DC/Mojave buildings which are pretty much always still standing (albeit with holes in the walls). And the (High Road) deathclaw that jumps down on the trailer thing made me jump.

The ghosts were annoying but not dangerous at all, I guess I was too high powered (I forgot how high, level 15-20 ish) when I went into Dead Money. Didn't need the companions at all except to set up the gala.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Finally decided on my 'true' character.

4 She's more a cardio gal you know?
6 Perhaps her eyesight makes up for it?
4 Even though she's a bit frail and
3 Can't really muster up a huge amount of charisma...
6 Isn't she pretty smart?
9 And Jesus, look at the reflexes on her.
8 Lady Luck's not overlooked Jane either.

:shepface:

Sneaky, Guns, and stealing all your stuff. Not a monster - no point trying to plunder and nick from a wasteland devoid of life - she will still murder you in your sleep if the need arises. Going to avoid Speech and Barter this time around because A.) I'm RPfagging it and she has the social skills of a kitten, and B.) I've exhausted all the diplomatic options on my House run. Hopefully haven't gimped her too badly. :ohdear:

poptart_fairy fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Sep 28, 2011

Thrillhou
Dec 28, 2006
Is anyone going to do a big old post mortem or 'wrap up analysis' post like we saw in the last thread for the DLCs? There have definitely been some cool theories and ideas thrown around in these threads, and now that all the content is available, I think it would be cool to see a full playthrough analysis or something along those lines.

Also, the Courier's Stash is definitely cool, if a little bit unbalanced for the beginning of the game. It's made me really fall in love with poisons and throwing spears, which I never bothered with because the components are such a drag to get on the higher difficulties.

Berk Berkly
Apr 9, 2009

by zen death robot
Looks perfectly fine to me. Looks like a Sniper-sneakattack/crit based gun build.

Honestly, I had to force myself to use all the great drugs laying around. I was the guy would would have a homebase literally overflowing with mentats and high quality beer/food. I just couldn't part with it. I would be fighting deathclaws with shovels because I might need to save my 9mm ammo for something harder. Companions like Boone+ED-E would completely negate my need to fight at all.

Assumethisisreal
May 21, 2007

MauveTrousers posted:

Is anyone going to do a big old post mortem or 'wrap up analysis' post like we saw in the last thread for the DLCs? There have definitely been some cool theories and ideas thrown around in these threads, and now that all the content is available, I think it would be cool to see a full playthrough analysis or something along those lines.

Also, the Courier's Stash is definitely cool, if a little bit unbalanced for the beginning of the game. It's made me really fall in love with poisons and throwing spears, which I never bothered with because the components are such a drag to get on the higher difficulties.

Spears/throwing knives+poison let me get Raul as a companion at level 6. Just have enough stealth to get away with pricking the Super Mutants from the shadows, and run away if they do see you, and Bleak Poison just ruins their loving day. Bonus points if you use vats to throw your poisoned projectile into their legs so that they can't catch you anyway with their scary, scary bludgeons.

Note: You need a lot of loving poison to do this, so a high Survival skill and foraging for ingredients ahead of time is a must.

Edit: Also, it might just be me, but I think Centaurs are part bloodhound. They are much harder to sneak up on than Super Mutants.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Berk Berkly posted:

Looks perfectly fine to me. Looks like a Sniper-sneakattack/crit based gun build.

I can't stop using Guns. I want to make a melee or unarmed build at some point but they seem so clumsy and lack finesse. :qq:

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

rope kid posted:

Dang, you've got to put changes like this in big, bold letters somewhere. That changes it from 'laughably worthless' to 'actually pretty nice.'

poptart_fairy posted:

I can't stop using Guns. I want to make a melee or unarmed build at some point but they seem so clumsy and lack finesse. :qq:
I know what you mean. Popping heads just has a certain satisfaction. Plus, bullet-tracking VATS shots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

poptart_fairy posted:

Make a specific character for it. Do them up so a clumsy oaf's mannerisms look right on them, lots of weight shifting and body roll, all that. Example:

:black101: