Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

And keep in mind there are two Pentile layouts: RGBG and RGBW. The Pentile variants of AMOLED use RGBG; RGBW is an LCD technology. And it's the RGBW layout that people seem to find especially objectionable.

Also keep in mind that "Super AMOLED Plus" displays are not Pentile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Just some things insiders were hinting. I would still put AMOLED in rumor territory, but we do know the Atrix 2 does not have pentile as evidenced by these screenshots.

http://thisismynext.com/2011/09/22/motorola-edison-atrix-2-att-preview/

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

bull3964 posted:

a Kevlar body.

Say what?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

JayKay posted:

Say what?

Exactly what it sounds like. It is rumored to have a body shell composed at least partially of Kevlar. Who knows though. Some have said that moto is deliberately spreading false rumors about the device. One thing is certain though, people working with the device claim that there's nothing out there quite like it.

On the other subject of trying to calculate 'real' resolution of a pentile screen, it doesn't quite work out to be something you can precisely calculate due to the rendering methods and what you are actually displaying. The long and the short of it is, since the white subpixel is used to display higher intensity white light in the RGBW grouping, subpixel rendering may be less precise depending on what's displayed. You can get 1/3 less SUBpixel resolution because it uses two subpixels per pixel instead of 3 on an RGB stripe. On some content that matters, on some it doesn't so much.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Sep 28, 2011

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Also, it is really not true that the higher resolution doesn't provide you with any more usable space because you have to "zoom in."

I took a quick picture (poorly I might add with the focus) of my Bionic and my Droid displaying the same wikipedia article at the same zoom level (default).

You can see by the picture that there are a full 4 more lines on the bionic picture (the OG Droid ends with "reducing the number of blue subpixels") and they both offer the same readability in person.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Sep 28, 2011

kbar
Aug 9, 2002

e:nvm

E-Money
Nov 12, 2005

Got Out.

wandler20 posted:

I have a Bionic camera question. For those of you who have it doesn't it seem like it takes forever to focus and then take the picture? It's really annoying because I never seem to be able to get a decent picture because of this. Is there third party apps that use the camera and do it better?

I tried to take some pictures recently and had the same issue.

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.
Do any of you know whether I can keep my unlimited data if another member of my family plan gets a used smartphone (where they previously had no data plan)? If so, can I just swap out their phone on the website and agree to the new monthly charges?

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

vote_no posted:

Do any of you know whether I can keep my unlimited data if another member of my family plan gets a used smartphone (where they previously had no data plan)? If so, can I just swap out their phone on the website and agree to the new monthly charges?

If there was no data plan previously, any new data plans that get created will be under the tiered system. If your line has unlimited data, it will stay. The family member upgrading from a featurephone to a smartphone will not get unlimited data.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

E-Money posted:

I tried to take some pictures recently and had the same issue.

I tried a couple third party camera apps but no luck so far.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Thunderbolt 2.3.4 OTA is rolling out, and it has reportedly broken voicemail notifications. That is, it's not notifying you at all when a voicemail rolls in.

If you're one of the 3 people still trapped in the '90s and are using the dial-in voicemail service, caveat emptor.

paradigmm
May 28, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post
edit - figured it out

paradigmm fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Sep 28, 2011

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

kitten smoothie posted:

Thunderbolt 2.3.4 OTA is rolling out, and it has reportedly broken voicemail notifications. That is, it's not notifying you at all when a voicemail rolls in.

If you're one of the 3 people still trapped in the '90s and are using the dial-in voicemail service, caveat emptor.

Lol you think more people use visual voicemail than regular voicemail.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

kitten smoothie posted:

I'm staring at the update screen right now. I'm not sure I understand what you mean by voicemail notifications. Will this affect me if I switched over to using Google Voice for voicemails?

NewcastleBrown
Mar 15, 2004
The One and Only

kitten smoothie posted:

Short of setting up a Google voice number and telling everyone to change what phone number they reach me at or paying for a service, how exactly should I be checking my voice mail?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

NewcastleBrown posted:

Short of setting up a Google voice number and telling everyone to change what phone number they reach me at or paying for a service, how exactly should I be checking my voice mail?

You can use google voice for voicemail without changing your phone number.

Basically, you tell Verizon for forward voicemail to your google voice number. It's transparent to the person calling you.

http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/voice/thread?tid=00a93855af6943b4&hl=en

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

bull3964 posted:

Personally, as more time with the phone passes, the bar to get me to switch keeps getting raised.

720p screen just isn't enough right now. This phone has been such an excellent performer for me, not just in speed but in usability and stability, that I would have trouble swapping it for HTC or Samsung without a high degree of certainty that they can deliver the same experience.

I will certainly entertain the possibility of swapping, but it's going to have to be a mind blowing device.

All the extras I got from Costco with the phone isn't helping matters either. Hopefully said replacement phone would have a similar package of goodies or be cheaper, because it would be hard to give up all that swag.

I feel the same about mine. This is the best smartphone I've owned and that includes an iPhone 4. The screen doesn't bother me at all and the polish on the UI is making my boyfriend who is an unabashed HTC fanboy consider jumping ship from an EVO to a Motorola device. Might tell him to hold off for the rumored Razr because I know he'd cream himself over a Kevlar chassis. (Its so much fun dating someone who is as geeky as you are :allears:)

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

404notfound posted:

I'm staring at the update screen right now. I'm not sure I understand what you mean by voicemail notifications. Will this affect me if I switched over to using Google Voice for voicemails?

If you use Verizon's visual voicemail or are already set up to forward your voicemail to Google Voice, it won't matter to you.

If you use Verizon's dial-in voicemail feature by dialing *VM to listen to your messages, you will supposedly not get the indicator in your status bar telling you that you have a message waiting. I use Google Voice, but the people in the XDA forums are screaming up a storm about this.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
I know people use Google Voice numbers to get around texting plans, but what if you use your regular number as your GV number? Does it work the same way?

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Fhqwhgads posted:

I know people use Google Voice numbers to get around texting plans, but what if you use your regular number as your GV number? Does it work the same way?

Isn't Sprint the only carrier that allows this right now?

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

kitten smoothie posted:

VVM on Verizon costs $2/month (or is it $3?).

gently caress Verizon's VVM

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Gotta say I'm kinda disappointed with this update. Still on Sense 2, and pretty much no visible changes whatsoever. Mostly all I see is a few new preloaded items, and the market notification icons look kinda different. I had to double-check the "about" screen to make sure the update actually took.

Hopefully I'll see improved battery life or something.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Penguissimo posted:

Isn't Sprint the only carrier that allows this right now?

Sprint is the only carrier that allows you to use your sprint number as a full blown google voice number without porting to google voice.

You can, however, port your number to google voice, away from Verizon (or whoever). That would be the same effect as switching wireless carriers though so you would break contracts and such by doing it. You would also need a new number with verizon if you wanted to keep service.

AppleCobbler
Feb 8, 2003
remember that time I was just chilling out and definitely not having a massive meltdown? right guys? guys??? :laugh:
So, after the Gingerbread update for the Thunderbolt became official, I started getting data drops and have at the moment no data connectivity at all on my T-Bolt. To be clear, I'm rooted, have a leaked version of the official build and radios inside, but not the official OTA.

I called Verizon about it and got tossed around to 3 different people. They asked me what my build number was and all that stuff, and I verified it using the build numbers listed on phandroid as the official numbers. They said that people have been experiencing issues with the OTA update and they are writing a ticket about it and should get back to me within a day.

While I may be bullshitting on which version I'm running, the data drops are there and I'm on their official 605.3 radio so I'm not sure what the issue is. All I do know right now is if they don't have a legitimate answer/solution to this problem, I'm going to demand a Bionic.

NewcastleBrown
Mar 15, 2004
The One and Only

bull3964 posted:

You can use google voice for voicemail without changing your phone number.

Basically, you tell Verizon for forward voicemail to your google voice number. It's transparent to the person calling you.

http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/voice/thread?tid=00a93855af6943b4&hl=en

Sounds like time for me to get out of the 90's!

I just set up a google voice number. I have my phone verified and a voice-mail message set up, but every time I try and call my google voice number (from my cell, or from a land-line) I get an error "Unable to complete your call, please try again."

What am I missing?

EDIT:

Turns out the process hadn't completed. I had an "Upgrade" button that had me select a GV number. I was able to re-select the same number. Once I re-chose the number I got the full list of settings options (instead of just Account and Billing). Though, I still wasn't done. The number still hadn't been assigned to my account. In the Phones settings menu I was shown my Google Access Number or something, instead of my GV number, but next to the access number was a link that had me, yet again, re-select my GV number. Once I chose it for the third time the process completed.

I am now able to receive calls on Google Voice.

You'd think they'd make it a little more obvious when you didn't have a GV number associated with the account...

NewcastleBrown fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Sep 28, 2011

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

bull3964 posted:

Sprint is the only carrier that allows you to use your sprint number as a full blown google voice number without porting to google voice.

You can, however, port your number to google voice, away from Verizon (or whoever). That would be the same effect as switching wireless carriers though so you would break contracts and such by doing it. You would also need a new number with verizon if you wanted to keep service.

Yeah, which is why the question the other guy asked isn't even applicable to Verizon. There's no way to "use your regular number as your GV number", because they can only be the same on Sprint.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

NewcastleBrown posted:

What am I missing?

Under Settings -> Phones tab, you have it set to forward to your mobile number?

NewcastleBrown
Mar 15, 2004
The One and Only

bull3964 posted:

Under Settings -> Phones tab, you have it set to forward to your mobile number?

I figured it out. See my edit above, if you're curious.

Endor
Aug 15, 2001

404notfound posted:

Gotta say I'm kinda disappointed with this update. Still on Sense 2, and pretty much no visible changes whatsoever. Mostly all I see is a few new preloaded items, and the market notification icons look kinda different. I had to double-check the "about" screen to make sure the update actually took.

Hopefully I'll see improved battery life or something.

It's not earth-shattering, but I'm already appreciating a number of changes, such as:
Quick-settings pulldown menu
Improved responsiveness
That fancy battery meter utility
Direct link to the Downloads folder (i had 300mb worth of junk in there I didn't know about)
Search Button goes to Google Search and not HTC's slow app
HTC's Twitter widget is far more readable
Default browser actually does the double-tap zoom properly
Sorting options for Programs list
Some other bits & pieces.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Endor posted:

It's not earth-shattering, but I'm already appreciating a number of changes, such as:
Improved responsiveness
That fancy battery meter utility
Direct link to the Downloads folder (i had 300mb worth of junk in there I didn't know about)
Search Button goes to Google Search and not HTC's slow app
HTC's Twitter widget is far more readable
Default browser actually does the double-tap zoom properly
Sorting options for Programs list
Some other bits & pieces.

Oh drat, I didn't notice the quick settings thing. That one's actually useful; it doesn't have everything I want in it, but enough that I think I'll try going without SwitchPro for now. Most of the rest is kind of irrelevant for me, since I use LauncherPro's app drawer, Dolphin Browser HD instead of the default browser, and don't use Twitter (and HTC's widget doesn't work with LauncherPro anyway). I guess the battery meter thing is nice too.

Oh, and where is it looking for downloads, exactly? I have Dolphin set to use /mnt/sdcard/download, and I can see quite a few files in there with Total Commander, but the Download shortcut is completely empty.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

All right, so I think the Gingerbread update broke the ability for my phone to lock when I'm on a call and holding it up to my face. It just stays unlocked, so my cheek keeps mashing the mute and speaker buttons. Has anybody else experienced this?

Edit: So I downloaded Sensor Test on the market and checked the proximity sensor. The values read a constant 9, 0, and 0 and don't change when I put my hand right up against the screen. I assume this means Gingerbread broke the sensor?

404notfound fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Sep 29, 2011

Dr. Kayak Paddle
May 10, 2006

404notfound posted:

All right, so I think the Gingerbread update broke the ability for my phone to lock when I'm on a call and holding it up to my face. It just stays unlocked, so my cheek keeps mashing the mute and speaker buttons. Has anybody else experienced this?

Gingerbread update killed my nexus one. Would only boot to the bootloader and unable to fully navigate the menu. Next the battery wouldn't charge. Now the mini-SD card doesn't seem to even be readable on a PC.

Couldn't understand why Tmo is dragging its feet with the GSII so I switched to Verizon:/ Dig the Bionic so far.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Oneiric posted:

Couldn't understand why Tmo is dragging its feet with the GSII so I switched to Verizon:/ Dig the Bionic so far.

For what it's worth, I think the issue with the T-Mobile GSII is that the Exynos processor doesn't work with their 42mbps HSPA+ implementation, so they had to switch to a Snapdragon. I imagine that's introducing some delays. But the good news is that you're probably better off on Verizon anyway.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Endor posted:

Forgive my ignorance, but where can this be found? I flashed the rooted stock image to see what was in it, and I can't find this anywhere.

Penguissimo fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Sep 29, 2011

texaholic
Sep 16, 2007

Well it's floodin' down in Texas
All of the telephone lines are down

Penguissimo posted:

Forgive my ignorance, but where can this be found? I flashed the rooted stock image to see what was in it, and I can't find this anywhere.

The Notifications pull down has 2 tabs when pulled down, probably my favorite thing about gingerbread so far. I am using a HTC Thunderbolt this might not be a gingerbread thing but a new sense thing.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

texaholic posted:

The Notifications pull down has 2 tabs when pulled down, probably my favorite thing about gingerbread so far. I am using a HTC Thunderbolt this might not be a gingerbread thing but a new sense thing.

Yeah, I'm not seeing the tabs on my Inc :( Back to Cyanogenmod!

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Haha holy gently caress. I was kinda bothered by the fact that the proximity sensor seemed to stop working after I updated to Gingerbread, but after some googling I found some forum posts saying that the Thunderbolt's sensor has a tendency of getting jammed, and blowing some compressed air at the sensor would fix it.

I was highly doubtful of it, but I tried it when I got home and... it worked! Sensor Test shows the the "0" value switching between 0 and 9 when I cover it with my finger, and the screen lock on phone calls works properly again. What were the loving odds?

bulbous nub
Jul 29, 2007

It's ok; I'm taking it back.
Lipstick Apathy
I checked through the last few pages and didn't see anything, but my apologies if I missed it. Did anyone else get a random change in upgrade eligibility from Verizon? I renewed my contract in the middle of September last year and got a DX. I then moved to the iPhone 4 on release day in February when it came out. That shouldn't have put me up for an upgrade until around May of 2012, right? Is this just an error that's going to get removed or should I just say nothing about it and get myself the iPhone 4s or 5 or whatever when it's announced?

porno for the deaf
Oct 26, 2004

Get in there. Have some sex with her right now.

bulbous nub posted:

I checked through the last few pages and didn't see anything, but my apologies if I missed it. Did anyone else get a random change in upgrade eligibility from Verizon? I renewed my contract in the middle of September last year and got a DX. I then moved to the iPhone 4 on release day in February when it came out. That shouldn't have put me up for an upgrade until around May of 2012, right? Is this just an error that's going to get removed or should I just say nothing about it and get myself the iPhone 4s or 5 or whatever when it's announced?

Saw this a few weeks ago, which might have something to do with it:

http://www.gottabemobile.com/2011/09/02/verizon-may-offer-early-upgrades-for-droid-bionic-and-iphone-5-buyers/

I have a Droid 2 Global that I have had various issues with (I am on the fourth unit since I got the phone in December), and found out a few weeks ago that my upgrade date was moved up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

bulbous nub posted:

I got an early upgrade eligibility awhile ago. Bought the original Droid Incredible back in June 2010 I believe it was. Then a month or two after the Incredible 2 came out I got the email telling me I could upgrade early if I wanted. Surprised the poo poo out of me because I hadn't been a customer of Verizon's until I got the phone, I'd thought they only offered early upgrades to long term customers, but apparently it's not that uncommon when they release a new device as a successor to what you have. I wasn't due up for an upgrade until February or March 2012 I believe and I got the early offer just about a year into my contract.

• Locked thread