Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nadesico
Jun 15, 2001

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Kalix posted:

With so many of you with the new Macbook Airs, how many of you are using it as a primary machine?

I'm still saving for a nicer external display, but my 2010 has been still holding steady in that regard...no major processing happening though.

I've always been tempted by the iMac but I almost feel it would be redundant - they just look awesome :fap:

Only downside is I feel that Mission Control is slower than spaces and Expose ever was. Not sure if that's just me.

Hello two pages ago... Anyway, I was using an 11inch Air as my primary machine but I just replaced it with the 13inch Air and a 27in ACD. I've regulated games to my 360/PS3 and if I really want to play something on the Air that isn't native in some fashion to OSX, I'll throw it in a wrapper or VM. These games are usually not newer stuff. I use this thing everywhere from home to the office for network design, config, scripting, blah, blah. My greatest wish is that my Air had more RAM. I do have a new mini with the 6630 video card in it, but it has mostly been regulated to my iTunes media empire and some larger VMware load work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

mayodreams posted:

The mini comes with a 5400RPM drive that is going to really drag down performance in Garage band.

Eh, for what someone normally does in Garageband the 5400rpm drive will be fine.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

Eh, for what someone normally does in Garageband the 5400rpm drive will be fine.

Thanks for your brilliant insight. As TheJoker mentioned, his dad is heavily into pro audio, so I sincerely doubt he is a 'normal' user. Recording to the boot drive is never a good idea, let alone when it is a slow 5400 RPM laptop drive. Which is is why we are recommending the iMac with the larger, and faster desktop drives, and why I recommended a FW800 drive if he needed professional level software.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I noticed ram is crazy cheap on crucial right now so I was going to order 4 gigs of for my macbook (MacBook Pro 2.26GHz Intel Core 2 Duo (13-inch DDR3) MB990LL/A Mid-2009) I was under the impression that 4 gigs was the max for my computer but crucial's scanner is showing option for 8 gigs (2x4 gig sticks). Is this doable?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

NESguerilla posted:

I noticed ram is crazy cheap on crucial right now so I was going to order 4 gigs of for my macbook (MacBook Pro 2.26GHz Intel Core 2 Duo (13-inch DDR3) MB990LL/A Mid-2009) I was under the impression that 4 gigs was the max for my computer but crucial's scanner is showing option for 8 gigs (2x4 gig sticks). Is this doable?

Probably, but are you going to use 8GB? It's probably only a $5 difference and you can always take it out to sell to someone with an iMac when you get a new machine.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I don't know for sure if I need 8. It's a $25 difference. I mostly want to upgrade so CS4 will run better and so I can actually play games on it (specifically Starcraft 2 and Diablo 3). Is getting 8 gigs going to really help me out there or does it just make more sense to get 4? I am running 2gb right now and this thing is slow as gently caress.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

On my work machine, I don't need 8, but I do need about 5-1/2. Just get the 8 if you're not sure. If you're not doing VM's, Photoshop, etc, you are fine with 4.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Cool, Thanks for the heads up!

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

mayodreams posted:

Thanks for your brilliant insight. As TheJoker mentioned, his dad is heavily into pro audio, so I sincerely doubt he is a 'normal' user. Recording to the boot drive is never a good idea, let alone when it is a slow 5400 RPM laptop drive. Which is is why we are recommending the iMac with the larger, and faster desktop drives, and why I recommended a FW800 drive if he needed professional level software.

And thanks for yours. It really depends on how many tracks he's going to be working with. I have done plenty of field recording, overdub work, and small projects on 5400 RPM laptop drives without issue using Logic. He said he needs to do "audio recording," not run a studio.

So again, if he's just using Garageband to record a few tracks to demo the new amplifier or guitar he put together, a mini will be fine.

Xithyl
Jul 17, 2004

Watching You Pee
I'm thinking of getting the 13.3" MacBook Air (128GB) and then complementing it with a 1TB external drive for music and movies.

Probably gonna pull the trigger this weekend or next. I was worried about the size at first, but coming from 15.4" laptops for the last five years, it's really much less of a difference than I ever could've imagined.

Excited!

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender
Anybody here using the Acme Made case for the Macbook Air 11"? Picked one up after some research yesterday, and it's a distressingly tight fit.

Some of the handful of reviews I've found imply that it will stretch out as it gets broken in; curious if anybody here can anecdotally back that up.

The other cases I was considering, FWIW, were the Waterfield Suede Jacket and the Tom Bihn Cache (I own one of these for my work 15" MBP and while it's a bit thick/puffy, it's pretty easy to get the laptop into/out of it.)

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

Xithyl posted:

I'm thinking of getting the 13.3" MacBook Air (128GB) and then complementing it with a 1TB external drive for music and movies.

Probably gonna pull the trigger this weekend or next. I was worried about the size at first, but coming from 15.4" laptops for the last five years, it's really much less of a difference than I ever could've imagined.

Excited!

I've really debated getting one to replace the 15" MBP I use for work just because 5.6 pounds feels so heavy, and after having an 11" in the past it's a vast difference. For development that isn't 3D/graphics based (mostly iOS/OS X), is the processor/RAM pretty much fine by itself? My other option was to save up for a Mac Pro when the refresh happens, but I'm not so sure about that.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Does anyone know of any benchmarks comparing a MBA 13" i5 running Starcraft II on OS X vs. running it on WIndows 7?

I'm just curious if the increase in performance is significant enough.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Sep 28, 2011

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Corbet posted:

Does anyone know of any benchmarks comparing a MBA 15" i5 running Starcraft II on OS X vs. running it on WIndows 7?

I'm just curious if the increase in performance is significant enough.

Don't know of any off-hand, but I believe Windows performance would be better simply because the GPU drivers for Windows are better / more frequently updated. At least for nvidia/AMD...

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I wouldn't bother with Bootcamp on a Macbook Air, SSD space is tight enough as it is. If you play SC2 at 720p it will run fine on the Air.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Thanks for the advice guys. It's gonna be a couple months before they get this one, as I just ordered my moms new rig, and we're gonna put some time in between the purchases. When it comes time to do this though, I'll definitely recommend they spend the extra cash and take a look in the refurb store.

SmirkingJack
Nov 27, 2002

NESguerilla posted:

I don't know for sure if I need 8. It's a $25 difference. I mostly want to upgrade so CS4 will run better and so I can actually play games on it (specifically Starcraft 2 and Diablo 3). Is getting 8 gigs going to really help me out there or does it just make more sense to get 4? I am running 2gb right now and this thing is slow as gently caress.

8GB for less than $50? Do it. Skip the McDonald's for a week or two and max it out, you'll be glad you did.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

NESguerilla posted:

Before ordering from Crucial's site, check to see if places like Newegg or Amazon have it cheaper. I've regularly found the same set of memory that Crucial shows on their site cheaper by a few/several dollars+ on the others.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Sulk posted:

Who the gently caress would actually buy that.

Fast, portable disk to dump video to or use as an editing scratch disk ?

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
I'm trying to gauge what my late 2009 27" i5 Quad Core iMac is worth at this point and I'm having trouble coming up with a number, because there aren't all that many for sale in my part of Europe (on eBay and Craigslist). It's the basic model without any upgrades (I just refreshed its AppleCare though). The few auctions I did find seem to indicate a price between $800 and $1100. Does that sound about right?

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
There are some new 27in iMacs on the refurb store for ~1400, I'd try starting at 1200-1250ish and see if someone bites. The new 21in's have the i5 as well now and can be had for ~1100 so add in a bit of a premium for the screen upgrade and see what happens.

Mac resale prices are always pretty varied from what I've seen. Some people get lucky and sell their 5 year old macbook for almost original MSRP somehow and then there are people selling brand new pro's for half msrp. I'd suggest starting high and moving a bit on the price to get people to buy.

Then again maybe Europe is way different with sales and I'm way off base. I'm sure someone else will chime in soon.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

27" iMac should never fall too far below the 27" Cinema Display, since it can be put in Target Display Mode and basically be a Cinema Display with another machine in it.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

mllaneza posted:

Fast, portable disk to dump video to or use as an editing scratch disk ?
(assuming this is about the LaCie Thunderbolt drive)
It'd be more portable if it were bus powered...doesn't TB put out enough juice for that? Even the old FW version was bus powered!

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

edit: nvm, didn't see that the third post shows what kind of RAM to use

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Going back to power-chat from a page ago.

My 3rd Magsafe died a couple months ago, and I've been trundling along with my wife's laptop + iPad, but I'm starting to miss the ability to, you know, sync my anything against my actual computer. The amazon one is pretty cheap, but I'd like to ask about OWC's selection here. They're repaired, but OWC has a good reputation, right?

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

Boxman posted:

My 3rd Magsafe died a couple months ago, and I've been trundling along with my wife's laptop + iPad, but I'm starting to miss the ability to, you know, sync my anything against my actual computer. The amazon one is pretty cheap, but I'd like to ask about OWC's selection here. They're repaired, but OWC has a good reputation, right?

I tell people that want to buy 3rd party chargers and batteries this:

If you want your house/apt to catch fire, then by all means, by non OEM stuff.

Apple magsafe connectors have been known to melt and catch fire, and they have exclusive patents on the technology. So, any third party is either reverse engineering it, or repairing broken ones, with less knowledge of how it actually works than Apple. I am not willing to save whatever difference the other ones cost for the increased risk of damage to my expensive computer or to my home.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Boxman posted:

If I absolutely could not buy a real Apple charger, OWC would probably the only guys I trust to get an adapter from. That being said, repaired adapters can always be iffy.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

IMHO, I wouldn't trust anyone but Apple to sell refurbished parts. The fact that you pretty much never see adapters on the refurb pages should tell you something.

OWC is also the company that used to sell sawed-off nVidia GeForce 5200FX cards for use in AGP G4s that originally were pulls from PMG5s. (Yeah, they worked but it's probably one of the reasons Apple is so paranoid about keeping a short leash on service parts these days.)

They also used to sell a no-name Silicon Image based SATA card that seemed decent but never ever offered them again after the initial run; they have offered lots of other parts that they totally forget about (translation: drop support for)

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Sep 28, 2011

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009
I have three Apple adapters, two of the OWC refurb/repaired ones, and two of the TechRestore not-OEM-but-really-good models in the shop right now. The Apple ones work normally (obviously), the OWC adapters work basically like 60W models despite being 85W (they charge MBPros but won't power one on if it's totally dead or has no battery), and the TechRestore ones are literally indistinguishable from the Apple ones.

On a side note, I think the OWC adapters just have replacement MagSafe connectors on them. The cabling has the same soft-feel rubber on it that the Apple ones do, but the connector feels cheaper and the little LED on the end is larger. On the plus side, the strain-relief collar on it is longer than Apple's.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

loving FINALLY. Apple just silently put out a firmware update for the 24" ACD which fixes the flickering when connected to a Thunderbolt Mac (such as my i5 Mini!) FLICKER FREE

http://km.support.apple.com/library/APPLE/APPLECARE_ALLGEOS/TS4045/24-inchCinemaDisplayFirmwareUpdate.dmg

mattdev
Sep 30, 2004

Gentlemen of taste, refinement, luxury.

Women want us, men want to be us.
Hello, friends.

So I had an accident a few weeks back that led me to buy a new laptop. I was under the weather and working from my bed when I fell asleep while at my laptop. I'm a pretty rough sleeper and when I woke up, my laptop was on the floor. The main display is shot because it's just displaying these colorful vertical lines, but it does boot up fine and works when hooked up to an external display.

I'm wondering, how could I get the most money out of this? Should I pay to get it repaired and sell it on eBay? Should I just chalk it up as a loss and recycle it? Should I sell it as is?

It's a late 2008 Unibody Macbook Pro (2.53ghz core 2 duo) with an upgraded 500gb hard drive and 4gb of RAM. There is still 2 months of Applecare left on it but I doubt that matters much.

Anywho, no more falling asleep with my new MBA on the bed :E

crunk and white
Apr 21, 2008

by Ralp
you're under extended warranty? the actual glass isn't shattered? are you Dudley Do Right? Go to an Apple store. You woke up and it just wasn't working and no you don't have any idea what's wrong with it.

mattdev
Sep 30, 2004

Gentlemen of taste, refinement, luxury.

Women want us, men want to be us.

crunk and white posted:

you're under extended warranty? the actual glass isn't shattered? are you Dudley Do Right? Go to an Apple store. You woke up and it just wasn't working and no you don't have any idea what's wrong with it.

It's pretty obvious that it didn't just "happen". I forgot to mention that the laptop itself won't close all the way and there is a small (like 1cm small) crack in the bottom left corner of the screen.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Cross posting from the Monitor thread

I want to start using my Apple LED Cinema Display with my 2008 Mac Pro, the problem is that my Mac Pro doesn't have a mini display port. What are my options? I'm guessing I could either upgrade the graphics card, or get some sort of converter box that will allow it to connect. But I'm guessing I'd need a graphics card to use the built in camera, correct?

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
sell them both and get an imac.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Is your display the MDP one or the ThunderBolt one?

If the latter, then yeah you would need a video card with Thunderbolt of which 0 currently exist.
If the former, then there is a USB cable for the speakers/hub/camera. You would need an active MDP converter like the Kanex XD for the video. http://www.kanexlive.com/xd

edit: the Kanex XD only supports up to 1920x1200.
You want the http://www.kanexlive.com/c247dl

Obviously you have to weigh the potential usefulness of the adaptor versus the opportunity cost of just getting a new, better GPU with that $150.

~Coxy fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Sep 29, 2011

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

~Coxy posted:

Is your display the MDP one or the ThunderBolt one?

If the latter, then yeah you would need a video card with Thunderbolt of which 0 currently exist.
If the former, then there is a USB cable for the speakers/hub/camera. You would need an active MDP converter like the Kanex XD for the video. http://www.kanexlive.com/xd

edit: the Kanex XD only supports up to 1920x1200.
You want the http://www.kanexlive.com/c247dl

Obviously you have to weigh the potential usefulness of the adaptor versus the opportunity cost of just getting a new, better GPU with that $150.

It's a 27 Inch Cinema Display, not a Thunderbolt Display.

Yeah, looking like a converter might be the easiest way to do it. Though the one you linked to doesn't support the 27 Inch model. Some googling has led me to the AT-DP400 which looks like it will do it. Amazon reviews even mention that it works with the iSight camera too if the USB cord is plugged in.

Ideally I'd love to have an all in one solution so that I can use my PS3 on it as well.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Astro7x posted:

Yeah, looking like a converter might be the easiest way to do it. Though the one you linked to doesn't support the 27 Inch model. Some googling has led me to the AT-DP400 which looks like it will do it.

I have installed and bought several of these for clients who had an older DVI/VGA aluminum iMac to hook up to a Displayport display and it works smashingly. It is way better than the other units I've tried in that it gets its power from the USB port so there's no additional wall wart to worry about.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Binary Badger posted:

I have installed and bought several of these for clients who had an older DVI/VGA aluminum iMac to hook up to a Displayport display and it works smashingly. It is way better than the other units I've tried in that it gets its power from the USB port so there's no additional wall wart to worry about.

Thanks for the recommendation! I'm putting in the order for it now. I don't see any other alternatives out there... plus it looks like with an HDMI to DVI cable I can pretty much use my Cinema Display as a TV too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jolan
Feb 5, 2007
I'm still struggling with the glare issues on this new 27" iMac. I still have a few days to make a decision about returning it or not, and I'm looking into those Photodon glare reduction films. I've found a video review from back in 2009 where someone demonstrates the product, and it seemed that while the glare was reduced*, it made the screen significantly fuzzier. Photodon has, however, since then come out with thinner films, but I can't find reviews of those different types of film that include pictures of the effect. Does anyone know if such reviews exist?

* They 'tested' glare issues by pointing a light bulb directly at the screen, so the effect in a real-world environment is not entirely clear, but I'd infer from the test that it'd work.