Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Lazyfire posted:

I got a retracting piston door to work, the one where the piston being extended keeps the door closed, then when you hit the open button the pistons retract, and then sticky pistons grab them and pull them back out of the way. To get this to work I needed two 20x20 rooms (because I built in the air instead of on the ground). One housed the buttons and disguised the upstairs open and shut redstone lines. The other room housed all the redstone wiring, repeaters and torches needed to get this to all work right. A pain in the rear end for a single player world no one will ever see but me.

Yeah, I set up a 2x3 door that fits into a sheer face and is completely hidden, so that when it opens, 6 blocks pull back from the face and then get pulled toward each side making a nice big doorway.

The amount of space required for that is INSANE. Had to run redstone over the top, huge spans along each side with a multitude of repeaters, and multiple lines across the bottom. And I built that in a big natural cliff face, now imagine trying to squeeze it inside of a building. :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Can you guys post pictures/videos of how you did yours? I figured mine out from watching about half a dozen youtube videos and guessing on some parts. The end result looks nice enough, but I can't imagine having to do this for 6 blocks. 4 was far and away more than enough.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
Found kind of a neat seed. Yeah I know, wee mountains but stay with me.

You spawn in a swamp facing some fun spiky mountains:

Yes that is sheep trapped on the side of the mountain:

Then, just a little ways past those mountains is a neat box canyon/pirate cove:

Cove/canyon from above and to the left:

The seed: The Best World

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
One of the hurdles with redstone wiring is that the wires don't automatically snap to machines, they must be connected to them with a direct piece. This makes it even harder to make them space-efficient. And sometimes I just don't know wtf I'm doing wrong when things don't connect right. There's a simple logic behind it, though, and once you figure it out you feel like you just did something useful with the two hours you spent on it. :downs:

Minecart tracks are a little bit similar in the way they cause insanity.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

neogeo0823 posted:

Can you guys post pictures/videos of how you did yours? I figured mine out from watching about half a dozen youtube videos and guessing on some parts. The end result looks nice enough, but I can't imagine having to do this for 6 blocks. 4 was far and away more than enough.

I would love some screenshots or schematics as well.

moondust
Feb 3, 2011

Mo' Problems
I'd love to keep a creeper penned up safely on my creative server. I know that spawners are fully functional and that you can leave spawn-monsters enabled and both will function on creative, but the prior will require me to cage off a fairly large area and the latter would be chaos.

So, I guess what I'm asking is.. did anyone ever figure out if monsters are persistent, or if they despawn in the new patches?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

A Sassy Dog posted:

So, I guess what I'm asking is.. did anyone ever figure out if monsters are persistent, or if they despawn in the new patches?

Why, you'd only have to play a couple of minutes to notice that only peaceful mobs are persistent.

FIRE CURES BIGOTS
Aug 26, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post

mrpwase posted:

I was led to understand that if Bethesda don't instruct their legal team to sue, if another games company actually does infringe the trademark (as opposed to trivially, as Mojang have done), Bethesda's case would be damaged because they would have been shown to not have defended their trademark previously. I highly doubt that Bethesda, with a decent reputation for not being EA, would launch something like this or handle it in the way they have done out of spite.

e;f,b

I'm more mad at the laws and the lawyers. Trademark law, like Patent law is a broken system and pretty much just a way for lawyers to make money.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

DalaranJ posted:

Exactly. It's not that complicated, guys.
Oh, wait, I'll need to put a via right here.

gently caress me. :argh:
More than "every dust/torch takes up a full block" I think the problem highlighted here is the stupid placement rules. After all, we can't just have vertical redstone dust/torches/wiring, we have to zig-zag over placed blocks, alternating.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Nenonen posted:

One of the hurdles with redstone wiring is that the wires don't automatically snap to machines, they must be connected to them with a direct piece.

I'd probably be okay with the current implementation of redstone if they changed this one thing. Vertical transmission is bad enough without horizontal transmission taking up three times as much space as it should.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

I noticed that when you put pistons facing down you can lay redstone right next to it and it'll work, they don't even have to face directly to it.

I wish redstone always worked this way.

arhra
Jun 27, 2006
Well, this sounds interesting:

@notch posted:

Yeeesss!! Arbitrary NBT Data per Item Instance is done! Works in both single player and multi player. :D :D

@notch posted:

What it means? It means we can do item enchantments, item naming, more than "just" 65k possible maps per level, and all sorts of nonsense.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Great, I have been waiting to be able to craft my 65,001st map.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Could do things like special weapons/tools that look the same (maybe an effect overlay on top of them?) but have different properties. That's a pretty big deal since we're no longer bound by that silly sprite sheet for a maximum number of items, just the maximum number of "base" items.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

neogeo0823 posted:

I don't know if you really want to see mine, I did it the dumbest way possible. I have this issue with redstone devices that I keep making buildings completly devoid of them, and then decide what I need is a rail system with a button that lets me call the minecart from either end of the track. Cue me making redstone stairs from top to bottom along the side of a building so large the second floor is a forest area complete with a river. It uglied up the building pretty good, but it was faster to call the cart and ride it down than it was to walk through the thing.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Locks/switches with unique keys would be one thing, especially for quest maps. I wonder if that's going to be possible. I think they'd have to be nameable when you craft them, too, otherwise it might be a little annoying going through keys #1 to #n when trying to unlock a specific door.

Also I hope we get to write into books. Maybe you could also copy a book you have crafted and then when you update the text, the copies will magically update too. It would make it easier to manage various things on multiplayer.

The AngryScientist
Jan 1, 2011

WHO THE HELL DO YOU THINK I AM, HUH?!
1.9 prerelease 2 is out!
From here: http://twitter.com/!/jeb_/status/119395358135693312
Direct: http://assets.minecraft.net/1_9-pre2/minecraft.jar
Golden Apples glow now! And there are more music disks (11 is creepy as hell).
Sugar Cane is the wrong item in creative mode.(Sugar cane as opposed to Sugar Cane)

The AngryScientist fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Sep 29, 2011

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Villagers aren't Testificate anymore...

And lots of new records to play!

A couple new crafting items too it seems. Spider eye/Fermented spider eye... Magma Cream?

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Notch posted:

Yeeesss!! Arbitrary NBT Data per Item Instance is done! Works in both single player and multi player.
What it means? It means we can do item enchantments, item naming, more than "just" 65k possible maps per level, and all sorts of nonsense.
All jokes about 65,001 maps aside, this is groundbreaking.

It means not all items need to follow their "template". You can have two iron swords with different stats. You can have two potions that heal for slightly different amounts without needing to manually write them in as two separate items. You can have loot tables and get Wearying Armor of the Bear or Flaming Sword of Spite or what have you.
This could open up so many doors I can't even wrap my head around the possibilities yet.

Eiba posted:

I have waited for this day! :dance:

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

The AngryScientist posted:

1.9 prerelease 2 is out!

Holy crap, I can alt tab out of the game and it doesn't drag my computer to a halt! Not even at the title screen!

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
I found a venice :3:

Does it seem to anyone else that villages are more common in 1.9 pre 2, and that giant mountain ranges much less common?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

The AngryScientist posted:

1.9 prerelease 2 is out!

server file

edit: I go to the Start new game screen, and now when I click on More World Options, it always says 'World is deleted upon death' even though I don't have Hardcore selected in the first screen. It lies, though.

edit2: WOLVES! :3:

edit3: auto-jump works again

Nenonen fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Sep 29, 2011

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

^^^
What about wolves? Have they changed? More common? Saw them before, but usually only directly at spawn, and unless I trapped one in a pit or something, I couldn't find any afterwards.

I can once again play in a forest with my view distance on high without crippling lag. If the 1.9 pre-release 2 adds nothing else, I would still be happy. :)

glitchwraith fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Sep 29, 2011

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
World generation hasn't changed from what I can tell.
Auto-jump's back in.
Item tooltips look fancier.
New records.
Some new items that may or may not be useless placeholders.
I guess we'll see what else people discover.

Performance is still pretty bad for me, so I guess I'll have to hold out for Optifine or at least another threaded lag fix.

E: Animal breeding is in!
Make a bucket out of glass instead of ingots and you'll create a bottle.
Gold apples have a sparkling animation.
Gold nuggets are labeled as such in their tooltip.

Vib Rib fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Sep 29, 2011

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

Haven't seen a single enderman. I want to know if they have their own sounds yet!

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

HYMEN.SYS posted:

Haven't seen a single enderman. I want to know if they have their own sounds yet!
They don't. They won't until we get an official release, since the sounds aren't stored in the .jar file, and 1.9 pre2 is just a jar, no other included resource files.

Animals breed if you use wheat, but they don't seem to be following me which will make setting up a farm that much harder.
Hardcore mode is in, health looks different in it.
Also you can grind up blaze rods by crafting them alone, and ender pearls now have a use: they can teleport you at the cost of health.

Worth noting also that you should not attempt to breed snow golems, I guess.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Why, what happens?

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...

Vib Rib posted:

They don't. They won't until we get an official release, since the sounds aren't stored in the .jar file, and 1.9 pre2 is just a jar, no other included resource files.

Animals breed if you use wheat, but they don't seem to be following me which will make setting up a farm that much harder.
Hardcore mode is in, health looks different in it.
Also you can grind up blaze rods by crafting them alone, and ender pearls now have a use: they can teleport you at the cost of health.

Worth noting also that you should not attempt to breed snow golems, I guess.

How do you use ender pearls? I tried right-clicking and nothing happens.

Also, fences now attach to walls and have a smaller hitbox, like glass panes

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

glitchwraith posted:

^^^
What about wolves? Have they changed? More common? Saw them before, but usually only directly at spawn, and unless I trapped one in a pit or something, I couldn't find any afterwards.

They weren't present in 1.8 and I didn't get a chance to see them in 1.9 PR1.

Gorfob
Feb 10, 2007

Eiba posted:

Villagers aren't Testificate anymore...

A couple new crafting items too it seems. Spider eye/Fermented spider eye... Magma Cream?

Sounds like potions!

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

Nenonen posted:

They weren't present in 1.8

Actually wolves are present in 1.8, they're just way more rare than they should be. I think I found one, and that was while filling out a map.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Angry Diplomat posted:

Why, what happens?
They attack each other.

Further:
F5 works differently: You can hit it once to get the normal third-person, then again to toggle to a front-view, which we haven't had in a while.
Zombies a little tougher.
Endermen way tougher.
Fire doesn't burn as long.
Poison has a visual counter.

Repair tables haven't made it in, but there is a texture/slot present for them. I hope they went a different direction than Notch's tweet about "combine two damaged items to get one item that's slightly less damaged".

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Oh lord, record "11" ... :ohdear:

Also, why have my snow golems turned against me? I created you!

... And that's not how you breed either! You're doing it wrong!

And I swear there were only two chickens in this villager's yard a second ago. Now there's three.

I think... I think the villagers are raising chickens!

Looks like it's poaching time.

Edit: And animals totally do follow you. Just hold the wheat in front of their faces and they're hooked. I think that's the issue with Snow Golems too. "Follow" to their dumb AI is "throw snowball." That's probably why they throw snowballs at their amorous interests...

Poor Snow Golems... they just don't know how to express themselves in any way other than throwing snowballs.

Gorfob posted:

Sounds like potions!
Well, potion components at least. Don't think the materials do anything yet.

Eiba fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Sep 29, 2011

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Forget what I said: Repairing isn't in. But what Notch was talking about is a slipshod intermediary process, combining two damaged items of the same type to create one with less damage. It gets a slight bonus to durability, too.
And that is in, even though actual legitimate repairing doesn't seem to be.

YHWH
May 17, 2011
:gb2gbs:

ASK ME ABOUT BUYING A PEANUTS AVATAR IN AN ATTEMPT TO PRETEND TO BE AN FYAD

Fences can now attach to objects. Finally!

Eiba posted:

Oh lord, record "11" ... :ohdear:
Hey, now you have a motive to kill things.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

I haven't been able to play the last prerelease and it looks like this is no diffrent :( Here is the crash report I get when I try to play a world. Once it gets to creating world it just simply crashes and leaves behind a little notepad file. Anyone know whats up, if it's Minecraft or if my Java is being poo poo?

DaftPVF
Aug 14, 2011
Breeding is very balanced and nice, I love it!

You use wheat on animals and they get in "love mode", then they bump each other and produce a third adult animal. That is different for chickens: using a wheat on them doesn't remove the wheat (thus making infinite uses possible), but on the other hand they don't bump each other, they lay an egg instead.

Edit: it does consume the item, I was just having a duplication bug.

DaftPVF fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Sep 29, 2011

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Dr. VooDoo posted:

I haven't been able to play the last prerelease and it looks like this is no diffrent :( Here is the crash report I get when I try to play a world. Once it gets to creating world it just simply crashes and leaves behind a little notepad file. Anyone know whats up, if it's Minecraft or if my Java is being poo poo?

That dump looks terrible.

Update java (https://www.java.com). Your JVM is a few updates behind.
Before running minecraft, open your Task Manager and look for java.exe. If it exists, kill it then run minecraft.

If none of that helps, do you have minimum 512MB and maximum 1GB ram available? That's what your JVM is allocating to running. Have you had any issue before playing minecraft?

Pigmassacre
Nov 23, 2010

GARBAGE DAY

I don't know if this is new or not, but your hand (or anything you hold) now has a slight "delay" when you're turning around. Like view bobbing, but with your arms. Try it out.
Subtle effect, but it looks pretty sweet. Wish I could record a video, but eh.

Ok, seems like it's been in since 1.8. My bad!

Pigmassacre fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Sep 29, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

neogeo0823 posted:

I tried making a schematic of mine but it broke every time.