Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Read
Dec 21, 2010

Leyburn posted:

Farming Cloudstone Chunks on a NG+ is loving torture. I might try this duping thing.

Update... Hahaha what the gently caress. It turned my three chunks into 1023. Guess that should be enough.

It overflows the value for the item, which bumps it up to (2^10)-1. That's where the 1023 came from.

Also 2 shotting the dragon with Firestorm is the best way. Though smacking him with the DBS / Meat Cleaver is pretty fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Superschaf
May 20, 2010

Playing through the game again from the beginning is so great. Going to town with bosses on the first playthrough and a meat cleaver+curse weapon is just insane fun. They die so fast you don't believe you ever died to them. :fuckoff:

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic
I think I'm going to start up a daggers only run.

I've always used straight swords or great swords; curved kinda bore me for some reason, I just dunno what I wanna do.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001

Read posted:

It overflows the value for the item, which bumps it up to (2^10)-1. That's where the 1023 came from.

Haha, no I recognised the number and what had happened instantly. I was just expecting it to double my amount instead of dropping more than I could ever need into my stockpile, the name duping put me off.

Cheating my way to all these trophies feels wrong, but it's better than the alternative.

Leyburn fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Sep 28, 2011

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

I just got back into human form for the first time in a really long while. I'd forgotten how loud my steps are. It's intensely loud.

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT
I really wish I'd known about the Thomas duping trick back when I still had my Pure Bladestone :smith:

dudeman
Jun 1, 2007

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Pity bump to see if anyone around level 260ish has a +5 sharp weapon I can hold for a few seconds to unlock this last trophy I need. The pure bladestone farm is slowly sapping my will to live...

:smithicide:

Satanos
Feb 5, 2010

How do we know you won't pull a Satsuki?

Toiwat
Sep 6, 2011

Satanos posted:

How do we know you won't pull a Satsuki?

"The +5 Sharp Weapon chooses it's owner".

On the same note, anyone in the EU area around sl 150 willing to lose to the old monk? I'be been trying for a few days now, but the only times I got summoned it was for some naked jerk with tower shield and scraping spear and someone that kept pulling the plug mid battle.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
I may as well throw my hat in. If anyone can spare a pure bladestone for a SL120 in EU then I'd be grateful.

ZombieApostate
Mar 13, 2011
Sorry, I didn't read your post.

I'm too busy replying to what I wish you said

:allears:
I've foolishly decided to join you guys in the platinum quest. What is wrong with me?

At least it gives me a chance to actually try to fight the bosses I cheesed my way through every other time. I'm not so scared of dying and losing my souls now (since I'm a dirty cheating item duper). For instance, I've never beaten Flamelurker one on one in melee before, which I just finished doing. Took me a number of tries before I gave up temporarily, got a few more soul levels, upgraded the purple flame shield some and upgraded a weapon more suitable to fighting him, but now I just beat him on the first try. Spears really don't seem to hit him very consistently and the halberd was too slow to hit him before he would jump back. I probably should have bought a longsword from the dregling merchant before I cleared 1-2, but the bastard sword seemed to work fine. One bonus from using the bastard sword seemed to be that after he hit my shield with a one handed flame burst, I could get a hit in which would put me low enough to duck under his first claw swipe that he tends to follow up with.

I wonder how tough Penetrator and Allant are going to be. I think those were the only other two that I either called blue phantoms or cheesed on. I guess I should actually make sure Biorr survives the dragon this time.

Edit: totally forgot Maneater, who I have to fight next :cry:

ZombieApostate fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Sep 29, 2011

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
Biorr makes the Penetrator fight totally trivial, since the boss seems to prioritise attacking him over the player.

Duping has made getting the upgrade trophies a peice of cake, I'm limiting myself to doing it for the trophies though. I've not been duping colourless souls, or legendery heros souls or anything. And all the weapons and shields that I actually use I have upgraded fairly. So it's not cheating, honest!

ZombieApostate
Mar 13, 2011

Heh, I'm not being that strict... I'm just not bloating my soul level and weapons to the point that the game is a cakewalk. I could spend half an hour grinding 4-1 for souls every once in a while, or I could eat a few boss souls and save myself the trouble. And gently caress grinding ore, I tried that once and wanted to kill myself.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

Leyburn posted:

Biorr makes the Penetrator fight totally trivial, since the boss seems to prioritise attacking him over the player.

Duping has made getting the upgrade trophies a peice of cake, I'm limiting myself to doing it for the trophies though. I've not been duping colourless souls, or legendery heros souls or anything. And all the weapons and shields that I actually use I have upgraded fairly. So it's not cheating, honest!

This is what I did, just duped the stones because I seriously hate grinding.

ZombieApostate
Mar 13, 2011

Well Maneater was easier than I was anticipating. Won that fight on the first try. Apparently it's true that understanding how to (and not being scared of) upgrading items really makes the game easier.

MMania
May 7, 2008
Trip report: beat world 4 last night no magic/miracles/bows/shields. Glad I remembered where the great club in Stonefang was, the only way to get past the rolling skeletons was to R2 as they came in to smack dem bitches down (thanks to whoever suggested that in the thread). Thought I had Flamelurker down, but he is a totally different fight without my trusty Purple Flame Shield. Looking forward to stomping through the rest of the game with my shiny new Meatcleaver!

I guess Dark Souls still won't be out by the time I finish so next stop is NG+ with the same limitations.

Superschaf
May 20, 2010

ZombieApostate posted:

Well Maneater was easier than I was anticipating. Won that fight on the first try. Apparently it's true that understanding how to (and not being scared of) upgrading items really makes the game easier.

Just fought them again, each one died in three hits. :fap:

Sumadartson
Nov 24, 2006

MMania posted:

Trip report: beat world 4 last night no magic/miracles/bows/shields. Glad I remembered where the great club in Stonefang was, the only way to get past the rolling skeletons was to R2 as they came in to smack dem bitches down (thanks to whoever suggested that in the thread). Thought I had Flamelurker down, but he is a totally different fight without my trusty Purple Flame Shield. Looking forward to stomping through the rest of the game with my shiny new Meatcleaver!

I guess Dark Souls still won't be out by the time I finish so next stop is NG+ with the same limitations.

Hey there no magic/miracles/bows/shields buddy! I had a relatively easy time with flamelurker using a 2h claymore like sword that does significant magic damage. Either NR or Blessed/Moon Claymore. The advantage is that you really don't have to lock on to hit him as those babies have a wiiiiide swing. Also, roll like a motherfucker.

ZombieApostate
Mar 13, 2011

Superschaf posted:

Just fought them again, each one died in three hits. :fap:

Boo, I did it with a +6 Bastard Sword. It took way more than three hits :unsmigghh:

dudeman
Jun 1, 2007

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Holy crap HUGE shout-out to GANDHITRON for literally saving my mother loving SOUL and lending me his +5 sharp, moon, and crescent weapons! You are a god damned SAINT. In fact, not only was he generous enough to allow my cold, callous hands to touch these blessed weapons long enough to hear the heavenly chime of those trophies unlocking, but he even helped me hand the False King his bloody arse in record time.

Too bad he got two level drains off on both of us. :smith:

I have a few last things to finish up in what should be my FINAL NG run, and then it's platinum baby. My first platinum, EVER. YES.

YESSS.

YESSSSSSS I FINALLY BEAT THE poo poo OUT OF THIS MOTHER loving GAME (granted, with copious amounts of help from anonymous blue souls)!!!!!!!

Just in time for Dark Souls...

:negative:

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry
Enjoy the trophies, dude. Maybe you can help me get platinum in Dark Souls sometime down the road!

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

dudeman posted:

Too bad he got two level drains off on both of us. :smith:

Haha you spazz.

I still haven't killed the False King with my level one guy :sigh:

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

I'm discovering that Demons' Souls PvP is one of the worst multiplayer experiences I've ever had, speaking as someone playing this game for the first time.

Typical PvP experience goes something like this:

Black Phantom Invades!

I turn around and look, find the phantom. We dodge around eachother for a few seconds, I take some swings, then get one-shot killed by whatever crazy-rear end weapon the other guy's got.

I can see it being fun if you've sort of grown up with the player base, but the skill-level matching is a serious failure in terms of providing a fun multiplayer experience.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

a foolish pianist posted:

I'm discovering that Demons' Souls PvP is one of the worst multiplayer experiences I've ever had, speaking as someone playing this game for the first time.

Black Phantom Invades!

I turn around and look, find the phantom. We dodge around eachother for a few seconds, I take some swings, then get one-shot killed by whatever crazy-rear end weapon the other guy's got.

I can see it being fun if you've sort of grown up with the player base, but the skill-level matching is a serious failure in terms of providing a fun multiplayer experience.

Yeah, it's pretty unforgiving especially if you get caught in one of the PvP hotspot level ranges. Like you said, it's amazing if you grew up with the player base and so you're not just horribly outmatched, but otherwise I can see it just feeling unfair and frusterating.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Black Phantom Invades!

I kinda like to invade with my low level guy to poison and plague and bleed my opponent then slowly him death with some weapon I don't have the stats for.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Black Phantom Invades!

Yeah, there's a lot of people that just like to troll- getting crazy equipment at a low level, just trying to destroy your equipment, etc. I haven't done much PvP, but one of the only black phantoms to invade did nothing but run and hide and heal so I had to waste time hunting him down.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Black Phantom Invades!

I will give you that, getting invaded kind of sucks, getting invaded at SL 20 by a guy who has a +5 Large sword of Moonlight or Meat Cleaver or any one of those other crazy weapons isn't fun, but I've never needed to completely sign off PSN in order to play. A few things to note if you're getting invaded a lot by people who kick your rear end:

-Stay in soul form. In soul form you can't be invaded on, so you are in effect safe. If you don't want to tank world tendancies by dying in body form in one of the worlds, you can throw yourself off the terraces in the nexus to get back in soul form without throwing off your world tendancies, easy to recover your bloodstain to boot.

-Roll with homies. If you're in human form and you see a blue sign, summon that dude into your game. There really is no penalty to not have any blue phantom you find in your game, they can only loot items that you personally drop on the ground, and I believe everyone gets full soul value for things that get killed, it's not split. More warm cold bodies around when the black phantom invades makes his job that much harder when he's trying to kill you and avoid getting backstabbed by that dude with the blueblood sword.

-Be a cheesy poo poo. If I get caught by a black phantom and really don't feel like loving with him, I just reload/restart my game, you'll just load up where you were before sans black phantom invading you. Hell, don't be afraid to load up poo poo designed to gently caress over enemy phantoms. The first character I beat the game with was a jack of all trades sort of character that used the Blueblood sword and had like 3 spell slots and 2 miracle slots. I always had a scraping spear in my inventory and acid cloud in 2 of my spell slots simply because once a black phantom invaded and you pulled those out, most of the time he would run away and commit suicide/white eye stone somewhere where I couldn't rape his gear.

In other news I will say though that being a dick as old monk is still hilarious even after all this time. I was playing today and dropped a blue sign in 3-2 that summoned me into old monk on my faith character. She has a +3 Large sword of moonlight and like a +2 or +3 adjudicator shield and regeneration ring on. Dude walks in with full brushwood armor and a meat cleaver. Que me not giving one single gently caress about his shield and wailing on him anyway. He got like 3 good hits off with the cleaver that I regened inside of about 15-20 seconds of us sparring.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

I'm level 222 and I guess I'm going for Platinum too. All I'm missing is the Foe's Ring I think.

Can anybody let me hold it? I have pure bladestone if anybody around that level range wants it.

WarpedLichen fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Sep 30, 2011

BlindNinja
Sep 2, 2004

lurking in the shadows
Can you permanently lose anything besides souls by being killed by a black phantom?

Satanos
Feb 5, 2010

DeathSandwich posted:

-Roll with homies. If you're in human form and you see a blue sign, summon that dude into your game. There really is no penalty to not have any blue phantom you find in your game, they can only loot items that you personally drop on the ground, and I believe everyone gets full soul value for things that get killed, it's not split. More warm cold bodies around when the black phantom invades makes his job that much harder when he's trying to kill you and avoid getting backstabbed by that dude with the blueblood sword.

How does this one specifically work? Because I was rolling as a blue phantom in somebody's 1-4 and killed one of the crystal geckos. It let me pick up the gems afterward which, while awesome, was unexpected.

Roguelike
Jul 29, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Satanos posted:

How does this one specifically work? Because I was rolling as a blue phantom in somebody's 1-4 and killed one of the crystal geckos. It let me pick up the gems afterward which, while awesome, was unexpected.

The host probably tried to pick it up, but didn't have enough room in their inventory, causing them to drop the stuff right away and letting you pick it up.

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

Happy Happy Breakdance Challenge 4

BlindNinja posted:

Can you permanently lose anything besides souls by being killed by a black phantom?

Pride.

I think the invader drops a soul level if he is killed.

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.

Gazmachine posted:

I think the invader drops a soul level if he is killed.

Only if they are killed by the environment.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...

BlindNinja posted:

Time.

Stop loving running away, you invaded ME, rear end in a top hat. Just give up, you have .001% health lef- oh nevermind, you had a whole other stack of full heal grasses :sigh:

Satanos
Feb 5, 2010

Roguelike posted:

The host probably tried to pick it up, but didn't have enough room in their inventory, causing them to drop the stuff right away and letting you pick it up.

Oh... whoops.

Ah well, I guess I'm the blackest of blue phantoms.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Note that if you're a blue phantom and get killed by an invader you do lose a soul level. Invaders only lose a level if they get killed by the environment (or somehow get soul sucked).

When I'm trolling with my low level guy i'll often let them run off while poisoned / plagued to eat up all their grass (grass only works at 50% effectiveness if poisoned / plagued or 25% if both) and summon blues that I dispatch with my moon falchion before I resume punching or clawing my victim.

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry

WarpedLichen posted:

I'm level 222 and I guess I'm going for Platinum too. All I'm missing is the Foe's Ring I think.

Can anybody let me hold it? I have pure bladestone if anybody around that level range wants it.

I should be able to be summoned into your game. I might be on later today, so just email me your PSN and/or Steam screen names at GANDHITRON88 at yahoo.com and I'll message you if I get to play tonight.

PerOlus
Jan 26, 2003

We'r even, seņor!
Blue phantoms that gets killed by invaders lose a level.

YorexTheMad
Apr 16, 2007
OBAMA IS A FALSE MESSIAH

ABANDON ALL HOPE
I started playing again to kill time before Dark Souls, and I was surprised by the number of people still playing. White phantoms and bloodstains everywhere, and while I never got invaded myself, it's probably because I spent most of my body time in Valley of Defilement. Joining other games as either a Blue or Black phantom was quick, and I even got to do the special World 3 event a couple times.

Lost 20k souls thanks to the Giant Depraved in the Valley of Defilement. Game still owns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic
Does anyone else have an issue with all the bloodstains and messages disappearing without being kicked offline? Seems like everyother time I'm playing, I'll start off with bloodstains and messages everywhere; after about an hour they'll disappear.

• Locked thread