Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Whoops! Mispost!

Edit: To reiterate, The King rules and is just a genuinely nice guy. It's kind of pathetic, but I love the young dude he sends running around after you to give you gifts of ridiculous little trinkets or a few bottlecaps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Jerusalem posted:

The King is pure in motivation, one of the only people in Mojave who is. He found a building dedicated to an incredibly cool man who people worshiped, and he decided he wanted to emulate that great man and pass on his message of having a good time, singing, dancing and making out with pretty girls.

The only thing really "bad" about the King is that his gang is just that, a gang. They still do gangster poo poo like shaking people down for money and controlling the only water tap in Freeside. I guess it just depends on how high your tolerance is for low-level hoodlum-ism, and whether or not you like Elvis.

I like the Kings enough that I can't even bring myself to kill and eat the King to get that Meat of Champions perk. It's worthless, but I'm a completionist.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
The King and his entire gang existing in the far-off alternate America post-apocalyptic future is just further proof in the theory of Elvislution.

Assumethisisreal
May 21, 2007

Syrant posted:

I was going to paraphrase it but this is much better.

You know, just because the engine works in a strange way doesn't make the explanation any more satisfying. It's still an annoying limitation.

Assumethisisreal fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Oct 1, 2011

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
I started up another game, and I'm at hated with NCR, but I can still go into NCR territory and nobody will shoot at me. What gives? Will they only attack at Vilified? I seem to recall other guys shooting at me at Hated.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Jerusalem posted:

Edit: To reiterate, The King rules and is just a genuinely nice guy. It's kind of pathetic, but I love the young dude he sends running around after you to give you gifts of ridiculous little trinkets or a few bottlecaps.

"Hey, if you see that Courier around, tell her to keep up the good work and give her this can of Pork 'n' Beans... from the King. :smug:"

That lackey always jumps in on my fights with Freeside thugs :unsmith: He just wants to help.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

TastyLemonDrops posted:

I started up another game, and I'm at hated with NCR, but I can still go into NCR territory and nobody will shoot at me. What gives? Will they only attack at Vilified? I seem to recall other guys shooting at me at Hated.

NCR are funny like that. They don't tend to attack you on sight when you're hated or vilified like the other factions. At worst they'll send out a group of Rangers who'll give you a three-day ultimatum to reduce your infamy or they'll kill get killed by you.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Can we pretend that Mothership Zeta isn't canon at least? such a dumb DLC.

Also, I am bros with The King. I just wish FOOK worked on some more Elvis themed clothes and weaponry dammit.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Mercury Crusader posted:

The King and his entire gang existing in the far-off alternate America post-apocalyptic future is just further proof in the theory of Elvislution.

Though they remember not his name, his legacy they will carry for years to come. Godspeed you black-haired emperors. :patriot:

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

SeanBeansShako posted:

Can we pretend that Mothership Zeta isn't canon at least? such a dumb DLC.

Dumb is an understatement. That DLC jumped the shark as soon as they started blaming the nuclear war on Alien Mind Control, which was about 4 minutes into the DLC. It actually got worse both as a game and a plot from there.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Omnicarus posted:

Dumb is an understatement. That DLC jumped the shark as soon as they started blaming the nuclear war on Alien Mind Control, which was about 4 minutes into the DLC. It actually got worse both as a game and a plot from there.

A lovely plot fits Zeta's lovely gameplay very well.

Assumethisisreal
May 21, 2007

closeted republican posted:

A lovely plot fits Zeta's lovely gameplay very well.

I think Bethesda's attempt to bring back the rail shooter genre was commendable, personally.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
I had more fun with Zeta than I did Point Lookout.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

NCR are a bunch of dicks. I was trying to boost my rep with them by doing the quest where you recover the war widows dead husbands body. Just as I finish dragging the body back and getting told how awesome and nice I am a ranger hit squad shows up and everyone starts firing at me.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Oh come on, who doesnt love inbred yokels that're stronger than a dozen supermutants?

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

SynthOrange posted:

Oh come on, who doesnt love inbred yokels that're stronger than a dozen supermutants?

The part where it took all of my ammo to drop one of those fuckers and they could kill me in three shots even though I'd already mopped the floor with everything in the Wasteland. Ugh, the setting was neat but the combat in that DLC was awful.

The best part of Point Lookout was easily tripping balls in the swamp and just a new location overall. The rest was meh.

e: and I think The Pitt could have been interesting if there was more to it. The visuals were certainly cool as gently caress but it felt so limited. Can someone explain why there was that huge section where the leader lived and all of those named characters but nothing to do with them? There weren't any quests or reason to talk to them or explore or anything.

vv also the fatter his wife is. i have family to support this

Yodzilla fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Oct 1, 2011

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

^^^running around in a sewer naked and out of my mind on Psycho with no weapon but a chainsaw was super fun and desperate, but yeah it was mostly pretty lackluster

SynthOrange posted:

the skinnier a hillbilly is, the tougher he is. this is a real-life rule

Pharmaskittle fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Oct 1, 2011

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Omnicarus posted:

Haha, goddamn.

Truth
Feb 24, 2005
I can't believe people actually liked Dead Money. Fallout doesn't do survival horror well, Dead Money was the most tedious thing I've ever experienced.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

It's only canon if you took Wild Wasteland.

^^^^
As a survival horror game, the shine wears off after one playthrough. The characterization in DM is spectacular though.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Assumethisisreal posted:

You know, just because the engine works in a strange way doesn't make the explanation any more satisfying. It's still an annoying limitation.

Eh, any moddable weapon you'd have to rebuy upon getting GRA is pretty much chump change anyway. The only expensive stuff is the unique weapons and some of the mods themselves.

Yodzilla posted:

I had more fun with Zeta than I did Point Lookout.

How does it feel to be wrong about everything, forever?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Say what you will about the rest of Zeta, but those aliens died and died well.

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?

Truth posted:

I can't believe people actually liked Dead Money. Fallout doesn't do survival horror well, Dead Money was the most tedious thing I've ever experienced.

I really enjoyed it for the change of pace. Although some speaker segments were iffy, or navigating the villa and getting lost all round when half the things look the same at times. But what really made Dead Money most enjoyable were the characters and how you're pretty much in touch with'em for the majority of the dlc. It was nice having these interesting chracters and finding out why they ended up there.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Truth posted:

As I've said before, Dead Money is actually far, far better on your second run through it in my opinion. You have a feel for the area, the survival horror element is kind of removed or at least muted, and you can really enjoy the characters and backstory of the Sierra Madre.

ClearAirTurbulence
Apr 20, 2010
The earth has music for those who listen.

Drakes posted:

I really enjoyed it for the change of pace. Although some speaker segments were iffy, or navigating the villa and getting lost all round when half the things look the same at times. But what really made Dead Money most enjoyable were the characters and how you're pretty much in touch with'em for the majority of the dlc. It was nice having these interesting chracters and finding out why they ended up there.

Though at first it annoyed me, I came to appreciate the maze-like navigation of the Villa. The backstory, design, and clever hidden paths were a lot of fun to me after the extremely simple navigation you get used to in the Mojave with your fast travel, reliable maps, and useful quest markers. The combat was satisfyingly challenging and different with a low level Unarmed Legion character and a mid-low level Energy House Agent. My high level NCR Guns guy was frustrated by ghost people and lack of ammo until the difficulty was accidentally turned down.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

SynthOrange posted:

Say what you will about the rest of Zeta, but those aliens died and died well.

That's what I'm saying. The weapons were fun as gently caress and come on, the Fallout story is already completely out there and dumb as hell but that's why I like it. The fact that aliens exist doesn't really take anything away from the world and fits in well with the goofy old sci-fi feel that a lot of the games have.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Yodzilla posted:

That's what I'm saying. The weapons were fun as gently caress and come on, the Fallout story is already completely out there and dumb as hell but that's why I like it. The fact that aliens exist doesn't really take anything away from the world and fits in well with the goofy old sci-fi feel that a lot of the games have.

Or you can take it the way I interpreted it: You passed out because the spaceship crash site was just too much for you to handle, and all the poo poo that happens in Zeta was actually a really long-winded dream/hallucination. Keeping the stuff you get during the DLC is just the +1 IMG (imagination) perk you get from the dream when it's over!

Somewhere deep down I wish that was the actual canon explanation for Zeta. :unsmith:

Assumethisisreal
May 21, 2007

Wolfsheim posted:

Eh, any moddable weapon you'd have to rebuy upon getting GRA is pretty much chump change anyway. The only expensive stuff is the unique weapons and some of the mods themselves.

Just because a high level character that you had when GRA came out already has the money to afford everything does not mean it is less stupid. And I'm not even saying that I'm mad at Obsidian for having to do it this way because of .esm or whatever nonsense you posted. I'm just saying that from a gameplay perspective, no matter how you look at it, it is stupid to have a baseball bat and a baseball bat (GRA).

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
You're stupid.

For content and hopefully to avoid being probated, I'm just a bit into OWB and am really enjoying it. I was wondering though, if you're wearing those +2 int glasses and level up do you get bonus skill points, or is that calculated by your base int?

boneration
Jan 9, 2005

now that's performance
I am stupid and don't understand the faction/fame bullshit system. I was all idolized or whatever by the NCR and then I accidentally shot Keller in the face a few times and boom! Sudddenly I am at "mixed" standing and Contreras is giving me lip about how he won't gimme no discount on account of I am an rear end in a top hat. I have since then done a ton of NCR poo poo and gained fame for those nancy assholes but it stays at Mixed. Is it just that I gotta do a lotta poo poo or is it that once I am at some lower level I am hosed forevermore?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
From rope kid's formspring response, I don't understand why they simply couldn't have adjusted the DLC accordingly to each platform's load ordering (i.e., have a version for each platform). But, either way, there's got to eventually be a mod that replaces vanilla weapons into their GRA equivalents.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

CJacobs posted:

Or you can take it the way I interpreted it: You passed out because the spaceship crash site was just too much for you to handle, and all the poo poo that happens in Zeta was actually a really long-winded dream/hallucination. Keeping the stuff you get during the DLC is just the +1 IMG (imagination) perk you get from the dream when it's over!

Somewhere deep down I wish that was the actual canon explanation for Zeta. :unsmith:

I thought the alienspeak sounded vaguely Chinese, so I pretend that the aliens are just a whacked out Chinese genetic engineering experiment (and, uh, flying saucer experiment) gone horribly wrong.

And at least Zeta had sweet energy weapons and some cool set pieces. Point Lookout was absurd bullet sponges and swamp that left me with absolutely nothing worthwhile at the end of it.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

The worst part about The Pitt is I can't bring myself to NOT choose the slaver. Seriously, I understand slavery is bad but you're out of your loving mind if you think I'll kidnap a child, kill his parents and take him to a make shift lab in a loving infested steel yard.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Zeta had bullet sponges too, though? Like, endless corridors full of them that had to be paralyze-palmed and then slowly whittled away at over and over. Point Lookout had bullet sponges, but that was the only bad thing about it. Everything else (main quest, sidequests, setting, characters) were great.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

boneration posted:

I am stupid and don't understand the faction/fame bullshit system. I was all idolized or whatever by the NCR and then I accidentally shot Keller in the face a few times and boom! Sudddenly I am at "mixed" standing and Contreras is giving me lip about how he won't gimme no discount on account of I am an rear end in a top hat. I have since then done a ton of NCR poo poo and gained fame for those nancy assholes but it stays at Mixed. Is it just that I gotta do a lotta poo poo or is it that once I am at some lower level I am hosed forevermore?

Is Keller that guy at Miguel's Pawn Shop? If so he is actually an undercover NCR agent trying to bust Contreras. I think what you need to do is if you have an earlier save before you killed Keller, load that talk to Keller, then talk to Contreras and then stealth kill Keller or have him shoot first, so you don't lose NCR rep.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Wolfsheim posted:

Zeta had bullet sponges too, though? Like, endless corridors full of them that had to be paralyze-palmed and then slowly whittled away at over and over. Point Lookout had bullet sponges, but that was the only bad thing about it. Everything else (main quest, sidequests, setting, characters) were great.

I think Lookout's main problem was the scaling. The later you did it the harder it was because everythign became a sponge. I recall doing it earlier (after Anchorage) and had no problem with the Stealth suit and Railgun :c00l:

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
"Hey Steve, this Fallout thing has a decades worth a back story!"
"Great, we can use it as toilet paper!"
"Now we can develop some DLC for more coke money!"

And thats how Mothership Zeta was born.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

The worst part about The Pitt is I can't bring myself to NOT choose the slaver. Seriously, I understand slavery is bad but you're out of your loving mind if you think I'll kidnap a child, kill his parents and take him to a make shift lab in a loving infested steel yard.

But inbred Snake Pliskin wants to know how babby is made!

boneration
Jan 9, 2005

now that's performance

Electric Phantasm posted:

Is Keller that guy at Miguel's Pawn Shop? If so he is actually an undercover NCR agent trying to bust Contreras. I think what you need to do is if you have an earlier save before you killed Keller, load that talk to Keller, then talk to Contreras and then stealth kill Keller or have him shoot first, so you don't lose NCR rep.

Yeah I was unclear; when I said accidentally I meant straight up on purpose. I am not worried about how I handled the quest, I just wanna know if my rep will ever rise above Mixed if I keep doing NCR work or if it gets locked at a certain level if you are too much of a dickhead.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

boneration posted:

Yeah I was unclear; when I said accidentally I meant straight up on purpose. I am not worried about how I handled the quest, I just wanna know if my rep will ever rise above Mixed if I keep doing NCR work or if it gets locked at a certain level if you are too much of a dickhead.

I don't know, have you been asked to go see Ambassador Crocker yet? Doing that should reset your rep and if you continue along the NCR questline you should be back to a positive rep by the end of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star Guarded
Feb 10, 2008

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Yeah, The Pitt had absolutely one of the most contrived, hamhanded moral choices ever in a videogame. There's the obviously evil choice, and then the good choice ... except to do the good choice, you have to kidnap and experiment on a baby!

It's the cheapest poo poo ever. The DLC was advertised as being "morally grey" ... there's nothing morally grey about it except they made you arbitrarily have to kidnap a baby to do the good choice. A lot of the writing in FO3 is just offensively bad.

I like that the Legion in NV is just obviously evil. It would have been so stupid if they'd tried to portray slavers in a "morally grey" light. Yeah, they're more efficient than the NCR due to their brutality, but they don't try to pretend they're not evil.