Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

Leadership is essential, but with no men to lead, even the mightiest general will be cut down. Fortifications and siegecraft are essential, but with no men to man the barricades and sap the enemy defenses, they are useless.

A is our best choice in the short term.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hafl
Mar 17, 2009

Why yes, I am a crazy cat lady.

A for Grand Army.

theblastizard
Nov 5, 2009

Necroskowitz posted:

Further, do you know if it would be possible to change the name of Astrakhan (back?) to Khazaria? The Mongols have been defeated and scattered, why should we keep their names?

Yes, you can. You can rename any province by clicking on the name on the province menu, and the same with the city name.

There is also Colony Name Change Mod which does that to the new world.

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

B. Why aren't you voting B.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

A Grand army will give us the men and the weapons for victory versus Armenia. In the last war Armenia was able to beat us with their stronger armour. We have opened up trade with the finest artisians in the east, let us further support our smiths as they gird our troops for their glorious march for victory. Siege strength matters for naught when there is no force that can stop your troops.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

C is for "Crushing Armenian scum"!

Pacho
Jun 9, 2010
We can't expect to beat the Armenians in their own manpower game.

http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2009/05/11/090511fa_fact_gladwell

C is the best option

Contingency Plan
Nov 23, 2007

I'm voting A. I don't want Wiz to have it too easy and it's the least useful idea--having lots of manpower is nice but that are lots of more important things when it comes to winning wars.

I wish there were non-war ideas we could vote for. I think Armenia is a paper tiger and not nearly as strong as they look.

The 47 Reagans
Mar 14, 2010

B

Vander
Aug 16, 2004

I am my own hero.

B because we could use better leadership, shock, and the tech bonus!

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Vander posted:

B because we could use better leadership, shock, and the tech bonus!
There's no tech bonus with B, I think.

Bellwether
Nov 4, 2009

Imperfection is beautiful!

These are all really good choices, honestly. Let's sit down and crunch them all out. Bear in mind that I am not that good at this game and so I may have completely misunderstood what some things do.

First: all three offer the same reduction in War Exhaustion. We get it regardless of what we pick, so we can ignore that.

Grand Army gives us higher manpower and higher force limits. We've already run out of manpower at least once already, so this is clearly an issue for us. In addition, high force limits will save us on upkeep costs, though Wiz says we're not in any really financial trouble at the moment. The big thing in favor of Grand Army, IMHO, is the Land Tech cost reduction. That is nice, especially seeing as we're still in a slower tech group (though with the Advisers from the West, we're countering that exactly, if I remember the numbers correctly). In any case, a permanent reduction in Land research costs will help us keep up with, and maybe even outpace, our neighbors.

Battlefield Commissions gives us yearly war tradition; this is good because as I understand it you lose that slowly anyway if you aren't constantly fighting. It also gives us a bonus to Shock for our generals, and this will be really nice until we start seeing gunpowder weapons.

Engineer Corps gives us cheaper buildings (meaning more forts, assuming we can keep the flow of magistrates up), a bonus to generals for sieges, and a bonus to our forts that will help them last longer. This is a pretty defensive option. It'll help us keep what we have. The general/siege thing, well... I'm probably doing it wrong, but I tend to just detach sieges as I go, meaning the general stays with the army that's going around beating up the other guys, not staying behind concentrating on the sieges. This is also fairly early in the game, so Fort Levels (which is what, I'm pretty sure, general Siege counteracts) is pretty low anyway.

A and C are probably the best choices for right now, unless we want to take advantage of Shock while it's still important and then potentially change out Battlefield Commissions later. In my mind it's a choice between offensive and defensive, though Grand Army's additions would also help in a defensive conflict: cheaper Land research means better forts faster, and more men to fight off invaders.

All that as an extremely elaborate preamble to my vote for A. We can (and should) pick up Engineer Corps at a later date.

Dux Supremus
Feb 2, 2009

Voting A, Grand Army.

linall
Feb 1, 2007
I am a unique snowflake and so I will be voting for the second one.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Sniper, you somehow have me down as voting A without an icon. That is impossible since I haven't posted since the 30th, before this latest batch of updates.

It seems likely that you actually put my name in place of some other voter's. Your punishment then will be that you get to try and figure out who you were counting!

Also I vote C. With the true soul of a Civic, how could I do anything else?

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

Grand Army seems both pragmatic, as well as fitting for a Regency Council. Stuck with a country that you aren't quite sure how to run? Make a bunch of dudes! Battlefield Commissions is a close second. Creating an Engingeering Corps just doesn't seem in character for a bunch of temporary rulers.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

I am voting B sans commentary.

ManifunkDestiny
Aug 2, 2005
THE ONLY THING BETTER THAN THE SEAHAWKS IS RUSSELL WILSON'S TAINT SWEAT

Seahawks #1 fan since 2014.

Gotta go with the sappers C

logger
Jun 28, 2008

...and in what manner the Ancyent Marinere came back to his own Country.
Soiled Meat

I vote for A.

All the benefits of the other two choices are useless if we don't have any men to send to the battlefield, and getting a leg up on land research will help us against our western rivals.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Do you people really view Azeri life so cheaply that you'd make it our specialty to round up even more of our youth and send them into the desperate meat grinder of war?

Manpower does not come from nowhere. It's not an increase in our population. It's merely an increase in the proportion of young men we can pluck from civilian life to serve in our armies.

A vote for "A" is a vote for killing more Azeri youth.

Are you people really so blind to Azerbaijan's role in the world? To her strengths and weaknesses? Azerbaijan is not a Mongol horde. We do not ride forth and conquer foreign lands. We do pragmatically expand, but our neighbors are, and always will be, far stronger than ourselves.

We will never win a major war without relying on our allies, so why specialize in attack? Let us concentrate on preparing for the times we must fight on our own. At those times we will be fighting on our own soil, and what we'll need above all else is time. Time for another power to take advantage of our preoccupied attackers, or time for the attackers to simply grow weary of trying to subjugate Azerbaijan.

We are not a great power. It is not brave or visionary to make decisions as if we were. It is stupid.

Our strength in the long run will not lie with our force of arms. It will lie with our progressive society, free from the shackles of arbitrary tradition, to pursue what will truly make us most strong. And what is most vital to make us stronger is trade infrastructure. It is our industry and our economy that will give us a future, not our arms. Let us keep in mind, even in our military affairs, the importance of a robust infrastructure.

With our people, our past, and our future in mind, I can only chose C, and encourage all idealistic Azeri to do the same.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
It's nice to see myself on the same side of an issue as my old comrade Eiba. Your eloquence is sorely missed.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Azerbaijan is not a heavily populated region. If we are going to survive, we need to have the enemy kill as much of themselves as possible. So why not throw them against our fortifications? Once they are weak, then we strike with a counter-offensive, from a position of strength!

C is the vote for strength!

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

A I intend to see our manpower shortage tolerated out of existence.

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

C is for citadels, C is for construction, C is for counterattacks.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

C

rakovsky maybe
Nov 4, 2008
B is better but it has no chance and C is a terrible choice.

Therefore:

A it is!

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010

A.

C is something we should pick up eventually, but Armenia will probably keep attacking us and we're behind in tech and keep running out of men. It's the most practical option defensively and offensively.

insider
Feb 22, 2007

A secret room... always my favourite room in a house.

A

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
I wonder what would happen if everyone who voted for B voted for it. I wanted to but then some wonderful debate started so I went with my Heart.

C

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

Putting in a futile vote for B because +1 leader shock is, like, really good at this point in the game.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Wiz said that he made seiging more difficult, didn't he? Maybe engineers would be the most useful.

LordBaxter
Sep 7, 2009

I finally managed to make everybody like me, if only for one day

300 Years ago Azerbaijan was the giant of the holy lands. Now we are a backwater, struggling to even survive against upstart nations that once were so small they were not worthy of being crushed under our heel. Azerbaijan must rediscover it's conquering spirit! We must rebuild, we must take back the lands we once held, and rightfully so as the defender of all faiths! The only answer to our current ill fortunes is the formation of A grand army. We will triumph against such bastard nations as Armenia and Syria, we shall return to our lands in egypt and return them to our demesne! We will conquer all the land of the middle east, and bring glory in gods name! Allahu Akbar!

dereku
Oct 23, 2010

Open up your senses

I say we vote C

Batsy Runtime
Feb 20, 2011

did you know that even with seat belts people die all the time in car crashes? i thought that was interesting

C. Why waste Azeri lives fighting in Amerenian territory when the Armenians can do a good enough job killing themselves on our awesome citadel walls?

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

B final answer.

Zero grinder
Sep 25, 2010
Fun Shoe

A

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

SlothfulCobra posted:

Wiz said that he made seiging more difficult, didn't he? Maybe engineers would be the most useful.

You can't assault, making seiging less useful in general. Everyone voting for C should switch their vote to B.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
On the contrary, seiging is the only way to militarily take provinces, and C speeds that up.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

rudatron posted:

On the contrary, seiging is the only way to militarily take provinces, and C speeds that up.

You can't take provinces if you don't defeat the armies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Grand Army, if it was good enough for the Soviets, it's good enough for us.

• Locked thread