Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tainted Ham
Apr 19, 2009

Jetpack Postman posted:

No, but daggers and rapiers make backstabs and ripostes hit quite a bit harder....

Balls, although the extra damage sounds good. I'm guessing there are other benefits to using light weapons/having high dex though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jetpack Postman
Jun 30, 2011

Zebrasectomy posted:

Balls, although the extra damage sounds good. I'm guessing there are other benefits to using light weapons/having high dex though?

High dexterity supposedly increases your ability to dodge in heavier armor. There are also a number of weapons that have good parameters for Dex.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Oh my god. If anyone has ever wanted to know what it would be like to play the later stages of Shinobi but in complete darkness this is the game for you.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Lenaway posted:

Reposting my code too: http://goo.gl/7Lt5E

I'm really jealous that some people are getting to play. If only I could black out till tuesday.
Two or three fifths of whiskey ought to do it.

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.
Getting on these codes

http://goo.gl/5QUCM

im a girl btw
Jan 15, 2004

Am I interpreting the OP right? There's no item burden = you can carry infinite stuff? That's strange that they'd make something a little easier on you.

I'm not complaining but I liked in Demon's Souls how I sometimes had to go into an area, die, think about what weapons I should take next time and then re-enter. I guess with no Nexus in Dark Souls it would make sense.

Can't wait until Thursday! I wish I'd looked around for shops breaking the release date instead of preordering, but at least I have a few days to beat Deus Ex now.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

im a girl btw posted:

Am I interpreting the OP right? There's no item burden = you can carry infinite stuff? That's strange that they'd make something a little easier on you.

I'm not complaining but I liked in Demon's Souls how I sometimes had to go into an area, die, think about what weapons I should take next time and then re-enter. I guess with no Nexus in Dark Souls it would make sense.

Can't wait until Thursday! I wish I'd looked around for shops breaking the release date instead of preordering, but at least I have a few days to beat Deus Ex now.

Yeah I think that because it's now open world and there's not really anywhere to store your stuff, they figure you'll probably need to switch up equipment more often to suit the situation/enemy you're facing, so having access to all your equipment available makes sense.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

im a girl btw posted:

No inventory weight, that's correct, only encumbrance from what you're wearing.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Dan Didio posted:

No inventory weight, that's correct, only encumbrance from what you're wearing.
Enemy equipment drops are much more frequent, and you don't gain the ability to store stuff until a bit later into the game, so that's the way it is.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
What is the deal with people posting these codes? You get souls for having people watch the trailer or something?

Jetpack Postman
Jun 30, 2011

Captain Beans posted:

What is the deal with people posting these codes? You get souls for having people watch the trailer or something?

It's some weird thing that the official site is doing. You're supposed to post a referral link, get some referrals and then solve some unintuitive puzzle for a shot at winning a statue, a beerstein or whatever. It's all contest voodoo to me at this point and way over my head.

Reive
May 21, 2009

Captain Beans posted:

If you're signed in with FB you get a soul meter on the site, a ranking, and some tokens for completing stupid things like a mindless glyph puzzle and liking the FB page, each time someone clicks the referral link your personal soul gauge fills up, supposedly, mine doesn't appear to be increasing but my rank bumped up by 300 or so since I posted mine.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
As soon as you guys enter the game, most of you are all going to lose all those souls instantly. Seriously. There's no surer way to lose your souls then to think "drat I've got a lot of souls, better get to a bonfire and level up"

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Oct 2, 2011

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
When/How do you leave messages? I just started, granted, but it kinda pisses me off that I am unable to leave messages yet.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Unlucky7 posted:

When/How do you leave messages? I just started, granted, but it kinda pisses me off that I am unable to leave messages yet.
You need this orange...stone thing, I dunno what it's called in English. In Japanese it's 橙の助言ろう石, which my brain keeps reading as a Chen stone...stupid Touhou on the brain. Anyway, a vendor early on sells it.

edit: almost all of the system things in the game are items this time.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Oct 2, 2011

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy

Jetpack Postman posted:

No, but daggers and rapiers make backstabs and ripostes hit quite a bit harder.

Apparently GameStop will carry the guide. Even if you don't plan on using it, I'd get it anyway. It's the closest thing to awesome Dark Souls merch that you'll be able to buy.

At the moment http://www.bookdepository.com/Dark-Souls-Official-Guide-Future-Press/9783869930480 seems to be the cheapest option. Of course, you'd probably have to wait for shipping, and amazon might discount it eventually, but at the moment this is the cheapest option.

flashdim
Oct 19, 2005

Still losing criticals

Reive posted:

If you're signed in with FB you get a soul meter on the site, a ranking, and some tokens for completing stupid things like a mindless glyph puzzle and liking the FB page, each time someone clicks the referral link your personal soul gauge fills up, supposedly, mine doesn't appear to be increasing but my rank bumped up by 300 or so since I posted mine.

Yeah, I'm somehow in the top 20. Thanks goons?

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

flashdim posted:

Yeah, I'm somehow in the top 20. Thanks goons?

I was like 140 today, but I clicked on one of those fight or flight things and now I'm like 800 or 600 or something like that. Fuuuuck.

http://goo.gl/Ud8h2

Also my soul gauge hasn't budged a bit. Hit me!

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

Adding mine to the dogpile:

http://goo.gl/Llfwf

Cube2000
May 27, 2010
I got Demon's Souls back in June and loved it. Cranked in many hours fighting demons, dieing to demons, helping others defeat demons, and invading others for souls. I already preordered the CE edition of Dark Souls on Amazon (I have Amazon Prime, so hopefully it arrives on release date). As long as Dark Souls holds true to being a tough, but fair and rewarding game like Demon's Souls, then I will be happy.

Since everyone else posted their referral links, here's mine: http://goo.gl/FI0mt

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem
This game looks awesome. I can't wait to rock out as an axe wielding pryo.

Here is my mystery link: http://goo.gl/0TQRB

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
I bought a PS3 specifically for Demon's Souls back when you still had to import it from Japan and to this day have never regretted it for a second. I still consider that game one of the best games I've ever played. It is a masterpiece.

That said, will Dark Souls have any crazy meta systems going on like character or world tendencies? I actually didn't mind the fact that Demon's Souls had them, just that they were so hard to manipulate and that you could easily screw yourself into a tendency you didn't want but couldn't get out of.

Zero000
Mar 8, 2008

Woof.
Misusing a Fighting Game stream for DARK SOULS

http://www.twitch.tv/xanadugames

agh, installing psn updates

Zero000 fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Oct 2, 2011

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

GreatGreen posted:

That said, will Dark Souls have any crazy meta systems going on like character or world tendencies? I actually didn't mind the fact that Demon's Souls had them, just that they were so hard to manipulate and that you could easily screw yourself into a tendency you didn't want but couldn't get out of.

The metagame has been heavily refined and de-obfuscated. No more character or world tendency. Covenants provide a similar function through a much more apparent mechanism. Different NPCs will allow you to join their factions (if you have a certain item or do a task for them, generally) which involve stuff like "kill other people" or "help other people" or "kill people who break their covenants" or "be a gravelord spawning jerk" etc. Some of the covenants are hilariously easy to break, some of them are mainly interesting when they are broken, some grant special items or equipment to their members, etc. It's not nearly as binary as Demon's Souls so it's harder to pin down in table form or whatever, but it is richer and more intuitive and when you can get those two things at once I say you're making a good design decision overall.

Specto
Jun 28, 2010
It turns out that you can shoot off the wyvern's tail in the Undead Berg (the castle area near the start) for a pretty decent sword. There's a youtube video of it already. Guy is a bit annoying, but it is a decent find regardless. The sword itself is pretty neat - 200 phys attack and a long range "wave" attack 2-handed

edit: spoliered at request

Specto fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Oct 2, 2011

Jetpack Postman
Jun 30, 2011

Specto posted:

It turns out that you can shoot off the wyvern's tail in the Undead Berg (the castle area near the start) for a pretty decent sword. There's a youtube video of it already. Guy is a bit annoying, but it is a decent find regardless. The sword itself is pretty neat - 200 phys attack and a long range "wave" attack 2-handed

I hate being that guy, but I believe this qualifies as a spoiler dude. Please tag it.

Other than that, nice find!

InnercityGriot
Dec 31, 2008
Bonesnap and pvax, I sent the store's address for you guys.

In other news, gently caress the Caspa demon fight in the rear end. I can't get any freedom of movement 'cause the dude is right on top of you immediately, and the stupid dogs pen you into a trap. I can't wait to upgrade my lovely scimitar to something a bit more threatening. What's a good weapon for a heavy Dex build?

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Jetpack Postman posted:

I hate being that guy, but I believe this qualifies as a spoiler dude. Please tag it.

Other than that, nice find!

I scanned the Japanese Livedoor wiki and that item isn't the only one of its kind that you get that way.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Zero000 posted:

Misusing a Fighting Game stream for DARK SOULS

http://www.twitch.tv/xanadugames

agh, installing psn updates

All I see is DMX vacuuming an office floor and some asian guy twiddling away on... it's a fighting stick! YOU LIED!!!

Specto
Jun 28, 2010

Sheep-Goats posted:

I scanned the Japanese Livedoor wiki and that item isn't the only one of its kind that you get that way.

If you are talking about weapons got by (spoilered just in case)hitting certain parts of boss's bodies, then yes there are several. The ones from the top of my head are an axe from the gargolyes on the bell tower by hitting their tails, another axe from the Gaping Dragon (the one with lots of teeth),again the tail and from Seath, the Sword of Moonlight, attacking the big tail directly behind him

There might be more weapons like that, but those are the ones I know.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

enojy posted:

All I see is DMX vacuuming an office floor and some asian guy twiddling away on... it's a fighting stick! YOU LIED!!!
They had to stop playing a bit ago since the person who had a proper PS3 controller left.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

enojy posted:

Playing Dark Souls with an arcade stick... Truly the ultimate challenge.

hyn
Mar 27, 2010
Finally finished this game at seventy hours, exploring all areas. Game became stupid easy with coop summons, I felt like I cheated my way through the last few bosses, shame on me. :blush: There should be an extra reward for solo play.

I felt like I missed half the fun by going pure strength/heavy armor warrior, so I definitely want to start a hybrid type character next. I played warrior mostly because I wanted to try out all the equipment. I found that most weapons end up being useful if you upgrade them enough times. You can safely choose to upgrade the longsword you get minutes into the game. There is no better or worse. They all have situational use, for different environments or opponents.

I had the impression that the latter part of the game was rushed-- or just not as well designed as the early castle levels which I loved. Level design was uninspired to say the least. Mostly hollow caverns with giant enemy demons inside.

Wang
Apr 10, 2003

dance dance ferret revolution

Sputnik posted:

Updated goon master list for pages 12-23.

Mine didn't make the list

http://goo.gl/7Oc0H

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

Wang posted:

Mine didn't make the list

http://goo.gl/7Oc0H
Same.

http://goo.gl/aIxsR

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I feel ashamed. Im a knight and I keep getting my poo poo kicked in by the packs of 2 skeletons in the graveyard before the catacombs.

I can kill them but it takes too much work and too many potions.

What is the easy way to kill them?

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
use upgraded blunt weapons

way to ignore conventional fantasy rules FROM :negative:

ThePhenomenalBaby fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Oct 2, 2011

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

use upgraded blunt weapons
Actually this time it seems blunt weapons don't do extra damage to skeletons.

Victorian Gentleman
Nov 24, 2007
You sir clearly have no etiquette

Samurai Sanders posted:

That really blows, I hated the skeletons in Demon's Souls, especially those with the hard to avoid rolling attacks and relied on blunt weapons to get through them.

I cant wait until Tuesday, for what it's worth here's mine: http://goo.gl/sdwxp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jetpack Postman
Jun 30, 2011

Samurai Sanders posted:

Is there still the blunt/slashing/piercing trinity in Dark Souls? Now that I think about it, I don't think I've seen little symbols on weapons to determine what's what and the Dark Souls Wiki (which has gotten SIGNIFICANTLY more fleshed out for items) says that maces, axes and swords do "normal" damage.

• Locked thread