Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

MachinTrucChose posted:

It looks like WHS + Drive Extender is still the only worthwhile simple storage solution short of relying on proprietary hardware like Drobo and ReadyNAS, even today.
In my opinion, WHS 2011 and DrivePool works better than WHS v1 did for me. The performance isn't great, but I would much rather it be like this then WHS v1 where the pooling service ran every night at midnight and slowed the server to a crawl sometimes.

I took the plunge and am using DrivePool on my real server, it's not perfect but the developer is really nice and responds to my issues within 24 hours every time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
I am planning to build a WHS in the near future. What type of hard drives should I use? I am planning to transfer two of my WD Black 1TB's, and was also thinking about picking up two WD Green 2TB's. Should I pick up a smaller HD to install the windows on? Or just partition one of the Blacks. (I will have 6 SATA ports).

modeski
Apr 21, 2005

Deceive, inveigle, obfuscate.
I used WD Green 2TBs as my storage drives, and just an old 250Gb drive for the system drive. I'd recommend having a separate system drive that only has the OS on it.

indulgenthipster
Mar 16, 2004
Make that a pour over
edit: That was a stupid question.

New question: I'm looking at either using this or FreeNAS. The biggest thing I need is FTP user accounts, which both supports. While the primary purpose of the machine is to backup files, I also want clients to have read access to certain folders. Does WHS handle that pretty well?

indulgenthipster fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Sep 6, 2011

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

Thom P. Tiers posted:

I am planning to build a WHS in the near future. What type of hard drives should I use? I am planning to transfer two of my WD Black 1TB's, and was also thinking about picking up two WD Green 2TB's. Should I pick up a smaller HD to install the windows on? Or just partition one of the Blacks. (I will have 6 SATA ports).

For what it's worth, I didn't have good luck with WD Green drives in my WHS install. Trying to stream HD content never worked all that well and my problems went away after moving to Samsung F4s.

VerySolidSnake posted:

edit: That was a stupid question.

New question: I'm looking at either using this or FreeNAS. The biggest thing I need is FTP user accounts, which both supports. While the primary purpose of the machine is to backup files, I also want clients to have read access to certain folders. Does WHS handle that pretty well?

Yes, WHS handles that quite well and makes it pretty easy. Will you be using 2011?

qutius fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Sep 6, 2011

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

qutius posted:

For what it's worth, I didn't have good luck with WD Green drives in my WHS install. Trying to stream HD content never worked all that well and my problems went away after moving to Samsung F4s.

This is pretty much what I will be doing. Playing back HD content onto my TV. You would recommend the F4's then?

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

Thom P. Tiers posted:

This is pretty much what I will be doing. Playing back HD content onto my TV. You would recommend the F4's then?

Yeah they're pretty solid drives and I've had good luck with the four I purchased so far.

I can hear the drives which was annoying at first when I had my NAS located in the living room, but it's tucked away in a closet now.

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug
Just to give another opinion I have 4 WD Green drives in my Acer WHS box and never had an issue streaming 1080p content over ethernet.

indulgenthipster
Mar 16, 2004
Make that a pour over

qutius posted:

Yes, WHS handles that quite well and makes it pretty easy. Will you be using 2011?

Whichever is the best. I have a 16TB (expandable to 24TB) machine ready to order with 2gb of ram. It's a backup of a backup so I just need as much space as possible without any mirroring on the server. WHS really seems to be the best, and now FreeNAS is out of the question since it requires 1gb of ram for every 1TB of space.

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

VerySolidSnake posted:

Whichever is the best. I have a 16TB (expandable to 24TB) machine ready to order with 2gb of ram. It's a backup of a backup so I just need as much space as possible without any mirroring on the server. WHS really seems to be the best, and now FreeNAS is out of the question since it requires 1gb of ram for every 1TB of space.

Isn't that only if you turn dedup on? I'm sure if you could dedup with WHS it would eat up ram too.

modeski
Apr 21, 2005

Deceive, inveigle, obfuscate.

gariig posted:

Just to give another opinion I have 4 WD Green drives in my Acer WHS box and never had an issue streaming 1080p content over ethernet.

I have 4 WD Green drives too and never had issues with streaming 1080p.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

modeski posted:

Good to hear another opinion. Especially since the Green WD drives will be at my door when I get home. Thanks!

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
Any way to get an mkv extension to play though WHS? I have a DLNA ready TV which supports the extension, just wondering how to get it to show up since WHS seems to not like mkv. I googles a little bit and its telling me that a registry edit may possibly help. Thanks for any help.

Marinmo
Jan 23, 2005

Prisoner #95H522 Augustus Hill

modeski posted:

Yeah, the issue with WD Green and what-have-you is not really the bandwidth (it's the same as other 5400 RPM discs), it's rather that when the hard drives are unused for a shorter amount of time, they spin down which means that the next time you try to access it, there will be a not-so-slight delay while the platters spin up again (aprox 1 second I reckon). I had to buy one of them too, not for raid though. It's dreadful.

Waffle Conspiracy
May 21, 2002

Jane Goodall watches me pee!

I believe you can run a program via bootable media and disable the timer / spindown.

edit:
it's WDIDLE3 and can be found here http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?groupid=609&sid=113

Waffle Conspiracy fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Sep 12, 2011

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I'm pretty sure the problems with the WD green power drives have been resolved as of recent. The last couple 1.5TB's I used seemed to work pretty well with no spin downs and good transfer rates.

Marinmo
Jan 23, 2005

Prisoner #95H522 Augustus Hill

redeyes posted:

I'm pretty sure the problems with the WD green power drives have been resolved as of recent. The last couple 1.5TB's I used seemed to work pretty well with no spin downs and good transfer rates.
Sorry, picked up a brand new one (2TB) the other day and it persists. Highly annoying. Thanks for the link though Waffle!

TouchyMcFeely
Aug 21, 2006

High five! Hell yeah!

Maybe folks here can help me out a bit.

I went to expand the capacity of the pool on a WHS V1 box and mistakenly bought an advanced format drive. Went ahead and upgraded to WHS 2011 and installed StableBit Drive Pool. After the upgrade I can no longer stream Blurays due to excessive stuttering.

The WHS box has a Zotac NM10-B-E w/ Atom D510 processor and 2GB ram.

I'm trying to figure out if I should try upgrading the ram to 4GB or if I should try a dedicated Intel NIC or if I've completely boned myself because the requirements for Vail are higher than the hardware I have.

Another option I'm pondering is dumping WHS 2011 completely and switching over to Win7 running Crash Plan and Drive Bender.

Thoughts, ideas or opinions?

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

TouchyMcFeely posted:

Maybe folks here can help me out a bit.

I went to expand the capacity of the pool on a WHS V1 box and mistakenly bought an advanced format drive. Went ahead and upgraded to WHS 2011 and installed StableBit Drive Pool. After the upgrade I can no longer stream Blurays due to excessive stuttering.

The WHS box has a Zotac NM10-B-E w/ Atom D510 processor and 2GB ram.

I'm trying to figure out if I should try upgrading the ram to 4GB or if I should try a dedicated Intel NIC or if I've completely boned myself because the requirements for Vail are higher than the hardware I have.

Another option I'm pondering is dumping WHS 2011 completely and switching over to Win7 running Crash Plan and Drive Bender.

Thoughts, ideas or opinions?

Did you try just streaming from a share and not the drive pool?

TouchyMcFeely
Aug 21, 2006

High five! Hell yeah!

kri kri posted:

Did you try just streaming from a share and not the drive pool?

That is an excellent idea and no I haven't. I'll have to give that a try.

Thanks for the thought.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Big news: drive pooling is returning to Windows Server 8.

http://www.mediasmartserver.net/2011/09/14/disk-pooling-announced-for-windows-server-8/

Also does anyone really want to make a new thread? I am thinking of re-doing this one but if someone else wants to take a stab go ahead. I have PMs if you want to talk about it.

SwiftStrikerInc
Feb 5, 2002
[img]platypus[/img] The platypus stands as a testament to my own stupidity

kri kri posted:

http://www.mediasmartserver.net/2011/09/14/disk-pooling-announced-for-windows-server-8/

Also does anyone really want to make a new thread? I am thinking of re-doing this one but if someone else wants to take a stab go ahead. I have PMs if you want to talk about it.

Now of course I have to wait for the obligatory "Windows Home Server 2012 will have X new features as well Drive pooling, screw your 2011 purchasers!"

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Makes me glad I'm hanging on to my aging WHSv1 box now. I was kinda/halfway/sorta planning on rebuilding the server next year, so I'll definitely wait and see what this turns out as.

PUBLIC TOILET
Jun 13, 2009

kri kri posted:

I'll probably end up installing WHS 2011 regardless. I won't hold my breath on this, especially when it will probably take a while for the next version of WHS to actually arrive. That doesn't even include how well the Storage Spaces feature would work upon launch and how many hot fixes/updates will come out after its release.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

kri kri posted:

OMFG Waiting..

Jeratain
Apr 5, 2004

I have no socially redeeming value.
I have an HP LX195 sitting at home with an expired evaluation copy of WHS 2011 on it. What should I do with it?
1. Downgrade back to WHSv1
2. Install WHSv2 retail (requires me to purchase a license; it runs rather slow on this box)
3. Install an open source NAS solution
4. Other

I have a mix of Windows 7, XBOX360, OSX Lion, and OSX Snow Leopard at home that would like to talk to this box.

One Arm Manny
May 17, 2008

kri kri posted:

This is good to see. Hopefully they don't limit it to SAS controllers and drives as the PC World quote in that article seems to hint at. Otherwise it would be kind of useless for the average home user. It sounds like they might have been talking about full Server 8, but hopefully they include some form of pooling in the home version.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Anybody who has been considering other platforms should give a Linux box with Greyhole a try. In its default configuration it acts just like Windows Home Server v1's DE (and you can even use your DE drives with it untouched, though slowly through NTFS-3G) but the configuration options are immense.

It works through Samba, so just like WHS DE you have to mount the SMB share even to use it locally, but unlike WHS you can still use the disks for non-pool data and you can add data to the pool drives directly when migrating in to it (just fsck the pool after the files are copied).

I sat back and watched this project for quite some time and I'm glad I finally went for it.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
What kinda hardware are you running it on?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Just a former desktop turned HTPC/server. Athlon X2 3800+, A8N-SLI Deluxe, GeForce GT220, and a bunch of hard drives. It serves files, plays 1080p content, and hosts a few private game servers (mostly Minecraft these days).

Insidious
Dec 17, 2004

GODDAMNIT APHEX WHY DO YOU SUCK AT EVERYTHING YOU DO
I'm putting together a server made from my previous q6600 build and adding 5x 3TB drives. If I want at least double redundancy (server can survive two drives dying before losing data), which version of WHS should I go for? From reading this thread it seems 2011 is the newest but has had its RAID-like functionality functionality removed?

One Arm Manny
May 17, 2008

Insidious posted:

I'm putting together a server made from my previous q6600 build and adding 5x 3TB drives. If I want at least double redundancy (server can survive two drives dying before losing data), which version of WHS should I go for? From reading this thread it seems 2011 is the newest but has had its RAID-like functionality functionality removed?

2011 has software RAID but is lacking the drive pooling feature of V1 without add-ins. WHS V1 doesn't support 3Tb drives so you would pretty much have to use 2011 unless you have some sort of hardware RAID controller and skipped the pooling feature altogether. Even then I'm not sure if V1 could use all that space as a single volume. I could be wrong there.

If you want enough redundancy that you could loose 2 drives I think you are going to need RAID 6. I don't know that 2011 supports that with software, so you will probably need a RAID controller that could do it for you. That will probably be fairly expensive. You might also want to look at one of the drive pooling solutions for 2011 and duplicate all your data with that.

Insidious
Dec 17, 2004

I'd like to avoid hardware RAID if possible, because of the mentioned expense. So is 2011 the way to go? What does "software RAID but no drive pooling" mean? Those terms are a bit muddled for me.

Mthrboard
Aug 24, 2002
Grimey Drawer

One Arm Manny posted:

2011 has software RAID but is lacking the drive pooling feature of V1 without add-ins. WHS V1 doesn't support 3Tb drives so you would pretty much have to use 2011 unless you have some sort of hardware RAID controller and skipped the pooling feature altogether. Even then I'm not sure if V1 could use all that space as a single volume. I could be wrong there.

If you want enough redundancy that you could loose 2 drives I think you are going to need RAID 6. I don't know that 2011 supports that with software, so you will probably need a RAID controller that could do it for you. That will probably be fairly expensive. You might also want to look at one of the drive pooling solutions for 2011 and duplicate all your data with that.

This isn't entirely true, there is a hack to make WHS v1 support 3TB drives. It's a bit of a process, detailed here but once done, you can use 3TB drives with no problems. I just added a pair of 3TB drives to my server to replace 4 aging 500GB drives and the process went very smoothly.

One Arm Manny
May 17, 2008

Insidious posted:

...What does "software RAID but no drive pooling" mean? Those terms are a bit muddled for me.

Software RAID acts like hardware RAID. For example in a 3 drive RAID 5 it will split data up amongst 2 of the drives and write parity (recovery) data on the third. The drive that gets the parity data changes with each write, so when a drive fails you can recover the content from the parity data on the other 2.

Drive pooling can take several drives of different sizes and make them appear as one drive. There is no parity data, but file duplication can be turned on to ensure important data is written to multiple physical discs.

Mthrboard posted:

...there is a hack to make WHS v1 support 3TB drives...

Interesting. I have a couple of friends who are sticking with V1 that may want to try this.

Insidious
Dec 17, 2004

Thanks for explaining, that makes sense now. Part of what attracted me to building a Windows Home Server is that I can use this file level duplication technology and not RAID, with the advantage of being able to take out a drive and read it on another machine if i have issues.

So, seeing as I'm building a 5x 3TB server, what version of WHS should i go with that has this drive pooling?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

wolrah posted:

Anybody who has been considering other platforms should give a Linux box with Greyhole a try. In its default configuration it acts just like Windows Home Server v1's DE (and you can even use your DE drives with it untouched, though slowly through NTFS-3G) but the configuration options are immense.

It works through Samba, so just like WHS DE you have to mount the SMB share even to use it locally, but unlike WHS you can still use the disks for non-pool data and you can add data to the pool drives directly when migrating in to it (just fsck the pool after the files are copied).

I sat back and watched this project for quite some time and I'm glad I finally went for it.

On this note, is anyone using Amahi? I looked into it a while ago but never seriously. I notice they use Greyhole for their pooling technology.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Insidious posted:

Thanks for explaining, that makes sense now. Part of what attracted me to building a Windows Home Server is that I can use this file level duplication technology and not RAID, with the advantage of being able to take out a drive and read it on another machine if i have issues.

So, seeing as I'm building a 5x 3TB server, what version of WHS should i go with that has this drive pooling?

If you can deal with add-on pooling technology both Drivepool and Drive bender provide this. I use drivepool and it works fine. I have 12tb or so I forget.

Insidious
Dec 17, 2004

kri kri posted:

If you can deal with add-on pooling technology both Drivepool and Drive bender provide this. I use drivepool and it works fine. I have 12tb or so I forget.

After doing some more reading I think this might just be what I go for - WHS 2011 with DrivePool. Have you had any problems with it? Have you ever lost any data? Have you had to add or remove drives yet and how well did it deal with those scenarios?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Insidious posted:

After doing some more reading I think this might just be what I go for - WHS 2011 with DrivePool. Have you had any problems with it? Have you ever lost any data? Have you had to add or remove drives yet and how well did it deal with those scenarios?

No information loss. I have not removed any drives but added one, it was seamless. I would say its ready for use, the performance isn't fantastic but it works just fine for me. I use sabnzb/mumble/sickbeard and I have 2 boxee boxes that I use with no issues at all.

• Locked thread