Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Professor Latency
Mar 30, 2011

Jetpack Postman posted:

Is there still the blunt/slashing/piercing trinity in Dark Souls? Now that I think about it, I don't think I've seen little symbols on weapons to determine what's what and the Dark Souls Wiki (which has gotten SIGNIFICANTLY more fleshed out for items) says that maces, axes and swords do "normal" damage.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's "normal" as opposed to "magic" or "fire" damage. I think the different types of physical damage has been taken out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
I wonder what the chances are of Gamestop actually getting copies of the guide in on Monday. It looks really nicely packaged.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Damage types for physical are: regular/thurst/slash/strike

Did a quick test on the skeletons and my longsword+6 does as much damage as my mace+2, so it seems blunt is a bit more effective. One major difference is that the hard attack with the mace shatters their bones completely so they have to pick themselves up from the ground, while the soft attack only smashes their upper body. With the sword you can't seem to get them to the ground at all, the hard attack does the same thing as the soft attack for the mace.

GhostDog fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Oct 2, 2011

Vulcan
Mar 24, 2005
Motobike
http://goo.gl/uWQk3

I promise to let you invade me if you click my link. Oh what the hell, you're going to do it anyway.

CardTech
Nov 11, 2009

Baseball bro'ing at a super-high level
http://goo.gl/ykCki

Guess I'll throw mine up. Went through and clicked on all the ones I came across.

I'm looking forward to going into this completely blind and getting my rear end handed to me.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

GhostDog posted:

Did a quick test on the skeletons and my longsword+6 does as much damage as my mace+2, so it seems blunt is a bit more effective. One major difference is that the hard attack with the mace shatters their bones completely so they have to pick themselves up from the ground, while the soft attack only smashes their upper body. With the sword you can't seem to get them to the ground at all, the hard attack does the same thing as the soft attack for the mace.
My halberd +6 can knock them on the ground even with light attacks.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.
So did anyone pick up a copy at midnight? Mine's gonna be delivered next weekend!

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
went and clicked all links, looks like mine is not on the 'click these links' page:
http://goo.gl/kgN6Y

And AM LOOKING FORWARD TO THIS SO MUCH god drat :allears:

adj
Oct 31, 2007
Man it's going to be a bitch having to legitimately gain souls in Dark Souls. I've spent the last year in DS abusing the Stockpile Thomas glitch and duping whatever the hell I wanted. I just realized I'm going to have to actually farm and grind again now :(

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

adj posted:

Man it's going to be a bitch having to legitimately gain souls in Dark Souls. I've spent the last year in DS abusing the Stockpile Thomas glitch and duping whatever the hell I wanted. I just realized I'm going to have to actually farm and grind again now :(
Well, given that this time you can convert equipment into souls, if someone does find an item dupe glitch than that means instant unlimited souls.

edit: well, you don't get very much, 1000 is the largest number of souls I have seen possible to exchange an item for, and that's for precious one of a kind items.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
gently caress it might as well join in http://goo.gl/qscDC

OCDelicious
Jul 7, 2008
So I'm thinking of playing a sorcerer - for the people who already have the game, does one of the stats determine how much "stock" of each spell you'll be able to take with you from bonfire to bonfire? Does attunement do that, or does it only govern how many spell slots you have? Also, do certain character classes get an initial stat penalty from the start of the game? When I look at the character classes on the wiki, the total stat points don't seem to correspond to the initial levels of the classes like they did in Demon's Souls. Pyromancers start at level 1 and have 84 points, while Sorcerers start at level 3 and have 82 points. Kinda weird.

OCDelicious fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Oct 2, 2011

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

Samurai Sanders posted:

My halberd +6 can knock them on the ground even with light attacks.

Hmm, what damage type is it? Mace is "strike".

Edit: I need to diversify my arsenal, I always end up playing longsword in pretty much any game, even isometric RPGs.

GhostDog fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Oct 2, 2011

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Oh my god, just glanced at a stream and Dark Gwyn? I think, the one with the giant flaming sword is terrifying.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Or not! Here you go, bonus content from the LE of the game:

http://ce.preparetodie.com/index.php?redeem=7ba5299bd35e1145e0b03ad3bd15a47e

VanillaGorilla fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Oct 2, 2011

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Dan Didio posted:

Oh my god, just glanced at a stream and Dark Gwyn? I think, the one with the giant flaming sword is terrifying.

http://www.twitch.tv/thebrett currently getting owned by this boss. Dude is running Zweihander only, no projectiles.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Nechronic posted:

http://www.twitch.tv/thebrett currently getting owned by this boss. Dude is running Zweihander only, no projectiles.

Exactly the stream I was talking about.

Earlier I peeked at Slayer's stream on twitch.tv a couple of times, he's playing Uncharted 3 now, but earlier he was farming skeleton children while blaring the Ghostbusters theme and dodging the giant skeletons that crawl at you on all fours.

He also beat Dark Gwyn, Seath the Scaleless and Nito by ganging up on them with as many summons as he could.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Something Awful's 1-sentence review of Dark Souls is up, here it is for your perusal.

quote:

A brilliant fillow-up to one of the most unique and satisfying gameplay experiences of this generation, marred only by the fact that there are so many poorly explained systems which present less genuine challenge than confusing bullshit which detracts from the game's actual appeal. 9/10

http://www.somethingawful.com/d/video-game-article/orcs-must-die.php

The Moon Monster fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Oct 2, 2011

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
The mace is REALLY good in this one, it does decent damage even to armor unlike in Demon's Soul, I might even roll with it as my main weapon as its forward+R2 jumping attack is like, it's like a Virtua Fighter game where it looks like a pre-choreographed thing I can ALWAYS catch someone in the middle of their attack with it. Also it's riposte animation owns, you hit them in their side so hard they spin around in a daze and then you bloodily bring it down on their face as they come to face you again. :)

And I do indeed love owning skeletons with blunt weapons in this. I love the enraged wave shield above head animation they have when they get back up.

OBLIGATORY KING'S FIELD TALK:
When the first King's Field (KFII in Japan) came out in the US it was a pretty big deal. Very high but fair challenge, a huge, sprawling seamless world, fantastic graphics for one of the first fully 3D first person games etc. They made improvements (and some slight missteps) with KF3, Ancient City, Shadow Tower and Shadow Tower Abyss, but with each installment people cared less and less.

"What a shame." Now, thanks to Demon's Souls' success, I'm so happy that with Dark Souls From was basically able to make a game exactly like KF2/3/4 and have it be a huge deal again. I really hope we get more stuff like Arx Fatalis and other games that where the action is intense but the "gameplay" is more about exploring and learning about the world. I hope KF1/2/3 show up on the PSN so people can play those two. The graphics are extremely dated now but KF2 in particular holds up REALLY well even today with its gigantic world and soundtrack that sometimes resembles Super Metroid more than Elder Scrolls.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Oct 2, 2011

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

GhostDog posted:

Blunt obviously hurts skeletons more than a slashing weapon. It was the same thing in Demon Souls I believe.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Blunt obviously hurts skeletons more than a slashing weapon. It was the same thing in Demon Souls I believe.

It was much more extreme in Demon's Souls though, even with an early character the mace could one-shot skeletons but would do almost no damage to heavily armored living stuff.

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

What happens in 3rd Street stays in 3rd Street.

Neo Rasa posted:

It was much more extreme in Demon's Souls though, even with an early character the mace could one-shot skeletons but would do almost no damage to heavily armored living stuff.

Anyone not using their fists on skeletons was doing it wrong.

Eddain
May 6, 2007
I just checked out the mini-guide from the link posted earlier. It's basically a small collection of pages out of the strategy guide by Future Press. And judging from the tiny glimpse at the secret poo poo in Dark Souls, this game will definitely require heavy wiki/guide use to 100%.

Sputnik
Jul 21, 2003

I felt like a ninja, and my kung-fu was strong.

Updated Goon Master Referral ClickList for pages 12-26. Remember, if you want on the list, let's all take the effort to click everyone else's link!

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Neo Rasa posted:

OBLIGATORY KING'S FIELD TALK:
When the first King's Field (KFII in Japan) came out in the US it was a pretty big deal. Very high but fair challenge, a huge, sprawling seamless world, fantastic graphics for one of the first fully 3D first person games etc. They made improvements (and some slight missteps) with KF3, Ancient City, Shadow Tower and Shadow Tower Abyss, but with each installment people cared less and less.

That reminds me - an english version of Shadow Tower Abyss exists. Agetec fully translated it, and had it ready to release. Sony America said 'King's Field? From Software? Not on OUR console'.

The same Sony of America that decided to not listen to Sony of Japan and refused to touch Demon's Souls.

Those guys are actively terrible.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic
Huh, I was skimming the miniguide that was posted, and apparently you can hold 1984 items.

So there IS a limit, even a ridiculously high one.

flashdim
Oct 19, 2005

Still losing criticals

Sputnik posted:

Updated Goon Master Referral ClickList for pages 12-26. Remember, if you want on the list, let's all take the effort to click everyone else's link!

Thanks for doing this. It prevents more reposting, I think.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
Bloody hell, Blighttown is huge. When will it end?!

SoggyGravy
Jul 14, 2008

MAXIMUM
OVERGOON
For those looking, NYC 33rd street herald square gamestop said they have dark souls for ps3....Wether or not this was someone who did not look at the street date or not I don't know but there you have it.

SoggyGravy fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Oct 2, 2011

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I was looking at the wiki and it looks like for weapons there's both a long spear called a pike and a mirdan hammer renamed "lucerne." Next to the hammer the wiki people wrote "You didn't think there'd be a mirdan hammer?"

Also, on the subject of wands some of them now do significant damage and have very high minimum requirements like 30+ magic to use.

raton fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Oct 2, 2011

Toph
Oct 25, 2004
Don't Panic!
^^^^^ My god, tell me if there's somewhere in New York that's breaking the street date!

Here's mine. http://goo.gl/p3gXg

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
Some Blighttown and Firelink related help needed:

I killed the Gaping Dragon and went into Blighttown in search of the second bell. I made my way right to the bottom, finding a poison lake, and them made my way back up the other end, finally coming out at the Valley of The Drakes, and opening a shortcut to New Londo.

Have I missed a boss or something? Does Blighttown not have a boss? I take it the bell is somewhere in the poison lake I was avoiding? So I'll have to head back down I suppose...

Also when I made my way back up to the Firelink to level up and such, the bonfire doesn't work because apparently the Firekeeper is dead. Some new loot also appeared including an Orb whose description says I can invade the world of the person who killed the Firekeeper, and of course it doesn't let me use it. Any idea what the hell is going on?

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Yeah you keep telling yourself that until you make it to this guy. Third boss "Danklord"

smokes blunt weapons for breakfast.

LameDevil
Mar 12, 2011

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

SoggyGravy posted:

For those looking, NYC 33rd street herald square gamestop said they have dark souls for ps3....Wether or not this was someone who did not look at the street date or not I don't know but there you have it.

I called them and they said it comes out in two days. Although selling before street date is probably not a thing one can call to find out.

I'm really interested in the whole invasion thing. What are some good classes to invade others with?

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.

Leyburn posted:

Also when I made my way back up to the Firelink to level up and such, the bonfire doesn't work because apparently the Firekeeper is dead. Some new loot also appeared including an Orb whose description says I can invade the world of the person who killed the Firekeeper, and of course it doesn't let me use it. Any idea what the hell is going on?

You can only do this in a certain area. Also, the rewards are worth it though so don't feel like you should have prevented this.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!

LameDevil posted:

I called them and they said it comes out in two days. Although selling before street date is probably not a thing one can call to find out.

I'm really interested in the whole invasion thing. What are some good classes to invade others with?

The most important things about invasion are not actually class, but having either:
1) A whole lot of frontloaded weapon damage, to where you can burst through your opponent's HP very quickly,
or
2) A way to reliably mitigate your opponent's ability to flee or heal.

You'll want good reflexes to put shame to their counter-offense, naturally, but class is basically irrelevant.

literallyincredible
Oct 23, 2008

quote:

The most important things about invasion are not actually class, but having either:
1) A whole lot of frontloaded weapon damage, to where you can burst through your opponent's HP very quickly,
or
2) A way to reliably mitigate your opponent's ability to flee or heal.

You'll want good reflexes to put shame to their counter-offense, naturally, but class is basically irrelevant.

Demon's Souls had a bunch of gear (and a few spells) that were either *only* for PvP, or primarily for PvP. The Scraping Spear and Acid Cloud are one obvious, super-irritating example, but there was also stuff like the Sword of Moonlight which outside of the occasional knight (like the Valley of Defilement boss), was primarily just used for one-shotting other players when they tried to block, Firestorm was better than Fireball for PvE but impossible to get off in PvP if your opponent was any good, etc. etc.

Does Dark Souls have much stuff like that? I know there's that camo-in-the-forest ring which seems tailored for PvP, but is there anything else? I ask because I'm not a huge fan of PvP and PvE builds diverging sharply in the late game--I mean, I loved Demon's Souls so its by no means a dealbreaker or anything, but it would be cool if most of the stuff in the game had utility for both PvE and PvP.

Danthrax
Jul 11, 2006

Someone please tell me the Large Sword of Moonlight makes a return. It was probably my favorite sword in Demon's Souls, despite not being the best stats-wise.

Jammer Jones
Jul 11, 2002

Member of the Yomiko Readman Fanboy Army!
Jumping in , here is my code:

http://goo.gl/qlJX2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Danthrax posted:

Someone please tell me the Large Sword of Moonlight makes a return. It was probably my favorite sword in Demon's Souls, despite not being the best stats-wise.

Yes, it returns, and it can shoot shockwaves or beams or something like it always used to be able to do in the King's Field games

A few posts above someone said that you get it by beating it out of one of Seath's tails.

• Locked thread