Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Eiba posted:

A vote for "A" is a vote for killing more Azeri youth.

A vote against "A" is a vote to kill non-Azeris. That's not very tolerant at all.

We'll send wave after wave of our own people at the Armenians until the sight of our many dead fills their heart with such sorrow they have no choice but to meet us in brotherhood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manic Mole
Aug 21, 2007

last in line when they were handing out the gravitas

C

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
I thought we were supposed to be doing a non-standard LP here, anyway? Grand Army is bog-loving standard.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Darth Windu posted:

I thought we were supposed to be doing a non-standard LP here, anyway? Grand Army is bog-loving standard.

All we have available right now are military ideas. Besides, ideals need to take a backseat to practicality once in a while.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

Kavak posted:

All we have available right now are military ideas. Besides, ideals need to take a backseat to practicality once in a while.

Battlefield Commissions (B) is still a military choice, and is extremely practical, but is more interesting by far than Grand Army. It improves our generals' Shock value, which is very powerful. If B and C combine on B, we can beat that boring-rear end A vote. Which has been chosen in undoubtedly every Paradox LP since the beginning of time.

LordBaxter
Sep 7, 2009

I finally managed to make everybody like me, if only for one day
It's probably been chosen in every LP because the idea of having a grand army is rad as hell.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

LordBaxter posted:

It's probably been chosen in every LP because the idea of having a grand army is rad as hell.

It is much radder to have badass generals with awesome lightning powers. This is indisputable.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Darth Windu posted:

Battlefield Commissions (B) is still a military choice, and is extremely practical, but is more interesting by far than Grand Army. It improves our generals' Shock value, which is very powerful. If B and C combine on B, we can beat that boring-rear end A vote. Which has been chosen in undoubtedly every Paradox LP since the beginning of time.

It probably hasn't since vanilla battlefield commissions Grand Army is pretty useless. So far it looks like Wiz has done a great job shoring up the weaker ideas and nerfing some of the 'must have' ones.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

uPen posted:

It probably hasn't since vanilla battlefield commissions is pretty useless. So far it looks like Wiz has done a great job shoring up the weaker ideas and nerfing some of the 'must have' ones.

That's what I said? It's a very powerful idea now.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Darth Windu posted:

That's what I said? It's a very powerful idea now.

Yeah I meant grand army, which is 100% useless in vanilla and is now very awesome.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Darth Windu posted:

Changing vote.

B

Viscardus
Jun 1, 2011

Thus equipped by fortune, physique, and character, he was naturally indomitable, and subordinate to no one in the world.

Darth Windu posted:

You're really making me wish I'd voted for B. You know, so that I could switch my vote to A and listen to you complain about it more. :allears:

I want Azerbaijan to be progressive and tolerant, but I also want it to actually matter on the world stage. Our millet system is already based on the real-life Ottomans, who were not, as I recall, military pushovers (for most of their existence, at least). I personally feel like Grand Army is a much more flavourful idea than the other two and fits the country and the time period better. Battlefield commissions seem unlikely at this point in time and have basically nothing to do with our leaders or anything we've done so far. Engineers are kind of boring and don't say much about Azeri society as whole. The idea of a grand army recruiting from all throughout Azeri society seems much more in keeping with what we've done so far, both in CK with military escapades and in EU3 with tolerance and unity within society.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Normally, Grand Army isn't a particularly good idea, but Wiz's modding and our unique situation has made it, from what we've seen, the most important land idea. +10% land tech is a huge boon to us, as we'll probably be spending most of the game fighting against countries in better tech groups than us. We need this badly just to keep up with them. Manpower, a stat you normally don't have to pay much attention to playing as a major European power, will mean the difference between victory and defeat, as lack of it has screwed us over in the past, and since we've shrunk during Aram's reign, we've only lost manpower since then, while our enemies' armies have been getting bigger and bigger.

As I said in my post earlier, Siege Engineers is a great idea, but it's not what we need right now. Consider how most of our wars against Armenia have gone. We've wagered our wars on single, decisive campaigns with the intent to eliminate the enemy army, and we've lost nearly every time because Armenia can field bigger armies than us. Being able to besiege our enemies' forts faster won't matter if we can't even get our armies to those forts. Because of the nature of siege warfare, it's most efficient to spread our armies out, sending small groups to besiege several of the enemies' forts at once. None of these small forces will receive any benefit from Siege Engineers unless we spend lots of money on commissioning new generals every war, money that could be better spent on mercenaries to bolster our armies. And as for the extra fort defensiveness siege engineers give us, a fat lot of good that'll do when we're cowering in our capital with an understrength army, manpower sitting at 0, and Armenians marching across two-thirds of the country unopposed.

Pakled fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Oct 2, 2011

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Darth Windu posted:

I too care deeply about a game on the internet. I must make sure everyone knows. But how...?

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

Pakled posted:

10% Land Tech isn't that great, since we already get 25% land tech from western arms trade and another 25% to ALL tech cost from that other modifier. We have decent manpower and army size. Army leadership will prove the bottleneck, when our huge armies have no decent generals we WILL lose wars. +1 Shock to every general is a massive bonus, one that doesn't require any upkeep, and good military tradition means we'll also get great military advisers.

Rarity posted:

I too care deeply about a game on the internet. I must make sure everyone knows. But how...?

Make a huge post like the guy above you? I dunno man, I don't really understand that mindset.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Darth Windu posted:

Make a huge post like the guy above you? I dunno man, I don't really understand that mindset.

Nah, I think I'm gonna settle for whining like a manbaby when things don't go my way.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

Rarity posted:

Nah, I think I'm gonna settle for whining like a manbaby when things don't go my way.

Knock yourself out bro-ny

Kuntz
Feb 17, 2011

Edit: Actually yeah, changing my vote to C to more effectively bleed out the Armenians on our fields, take their castles and later build poo poo there cheaper.

Oh and, what are the effects of owning a non-core CoT like Astrakhan in your mod, Wiz?

Kuntz fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Oct 2, 2011

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

You people should be paying more attention:

Wiz posted:

Do you see that? Do you see where we are on offensive? We're at 2 steps towards it, that's where we are. We are moving there. And our forts suffer for it.

But we can still make up for it. We can still protect our homeland, we can still make the Armenian agressors get bogged down, the the hell bogged down out of them on our furthest provinces. Perhaps scorching land isn't all that effective. But given a larger window of time, even so it can do wonders. And when the Armenians hunger, when their soldiers are mere husks out of men due to famine, we can push them out. Then, before they can be given a chance to retreat, our new siege doctrines will make sure the sun's morning light gently strokes Azeri-controlled lands.

Gentlemen, look at Armenia's gains! Now look at us! What help do you think a so-called "Grand Army" will mean? A thousand, two thousand extra soldiers for our side? But won't Armenia's gains mean they'll come at us with gains many times more than ours? What do you think is better: Sending another two thousand Azeris to die, or thousands upon thousands of Armenians turned into corpses in our moats and their camps?

Voting for this "Grand Army" is not an act to save Azerbaijan. It is an act of murder. So please, fellow members of the Shura! Listen to my plea! Don't turn yourselves into murderers!

Vote for C!

YF-23 fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Oct 2, 2011

AgentF
May 11, 2009

B

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe
Why would we need to defend our homeland? Our mighty god-king comes of age in but 8 years, and then we can free the oppressed jews, christians and muslims of the world under our tolerant gaze.

Snipee
Mar 27, 2010

A

Honestly, I think B is more in line with our narrative, but C is just awful.

LordBaxter
Sep 7, 2009

I finally managed to make everybody like me, if only for one day
speaking of sliders:

What kind of leader is it going to take to get our sliders moving towards plutocracy/centralization/free subjects/free trade wiz?

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

LordBaxter posted:

speaking of sliders:

What kind of leader is it going to take to get our sliders moving towards plutocracy/centralization/free subjects/free trade wiz?

We're already moving towards Centralization.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

B

The Catalans are doing well for themselves in this timeline. Unifying Spain, ruling Britain, I'd imagine Catalan would become the diplomatic language of western Europe for the next few centuries.

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

A thousand forts will not retake our lost land! The Armenians have stolen our land from us, and you would merely conserve what we have?

Is this how we took Jerusalem? Is this how we built Egypt from it's ruins?

No. We took our men, filled with bravery in their hands, and charged. We of the Shura have a holy duty to retake our dignity and our lands. A thousands forts will not match the march of brave Azeris, only conserve what we have like some form of beaten beggar. Brave generals are noble indeed, but it is the soldier that marches below him that truly makes the war.

And if you will not do it for the dignity of our land, then I beseech you to think of the cartographers. Oh, how they dreamed of the borders... only to have it crushed by the Armenian devils.

I hear them weeping at night :ohdear:

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Darth Windu posted:

10% Land Tech isn't that great, since we already get 25% land tech from western arms trade and another 25% to ALL tech cost from that other modifier. We have decent manpower and army size. Army leadership will prove the bottleneck, when our huge armies have no decent generals we WILL lose wars. +1 Shock to every general is a massive bonus, one that doesn't require any upkeep, and good military tradition means we'll also get great military advisers.

The other modifier is 25% gov tech, not all tech.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Kuntz posted:

Edit: Actually yeah, changing my vote to C to more effectively bleed out the Armenians on our fields, take their castles and later build poo poo there cheaper.

Oh and, what are the effects of owning a non-core CoT like Astrakhan in your mod, Wiz?

+0.25 badboy/year.

break-up breakdown
Mar 6, 2010

I really hope these vote things are kept to a minimum, but B is definitely the best choice here.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

sick trigger posted:

I really hope these vote things are kept to a minimum

Sorry, we've got at least 7 more before this LP is over (Presuming we reach that level of technology).

rizzen
Apr 25, 2011

B.

Robert Deadford
Mar 1, 2008
Ultra Carp

Option A. We shall crush our enemies in the field, drown their mewling soldiers under a glorious sea of Azeri manpower! Their Princes will watch on from their cities and bleat for peace!

Plus they might think twice before invading.

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

C Through knowledge, victory.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

sick trigger posted:

I really hope these vote things are kept to a minimum, but B is definitely the best choice here.

Every NI is going to be voted on. You can always sit them out if you don't like them.

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER
All the choices are really good and people have provided very compelling arguements for each of them. I genuinely don't know which is the best in this situation. So I'm going to vote C to keep it a tight vote.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Option C will save us thousands of azerbaijani dollars! 10% building discount!

HUGE!

Vote C! Or miss the opportunity of a lifetime!

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

sick trigger posted:

It looks like the votes are being used for every National Idea, which, given the extent of voting in... certain other LPs, is fairly restrained.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Let's get A Grand Army going.

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.

I would prefer B, but voting for that seems like a waste now. While A and C are both useful, the -10% land tech cost sounds more useful than -10% of buildings. So i vote A

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

All makt åt Tengil, vår befriare.

A. I don't care how good you think +1 leader shock is when we're in a position where we lose defensive battles in mountains and run out of manpower in every tough war.
We cannot let the Armenians out-tolerate us with their heathen territories, they must be put under our control. We will do this with a bigger and more advanced military. We'll grind the Armenians beneath our heels and after we've humiliated them sufficiently we can show them how benevolent we are.

• Locked thread