Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PeppermintEgo
Feb 22, 2011

M1TCH3LL posted:

Oh I do. I don't listen to Flashy at all any more, because I didn't rate it at the time and I certainly don't rate it now. The worst album they put out, as far as I'm concerned.

Two good songs, an album doesn't make (Formula 409 and Dirty Ball).

You've got to be kidding me. Gay Bar Part 2 is my favorite song by Electric Six, right next to Vengeance & Fashion. I actually consider Watching Evil Empires Fall Apart to be Electric Six's most "beautiful" song. Not that is has much competition there...

Interesting that you think that I Shall Exterminate... is their best album. It's a great album but I consider it the least creative. It sounds more like radio-played alt rock than any other album they put out.

Random note- Whoever created this thread needs to change the title (if you can do that). Zodiac isn't new anymore! :wooper:

PeppermintEgo fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Oct 2, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

techno allah
Sep 29, 2005

I really thought E6 had turned the corner back into the rockin' sound with Zodiac, but this new album doesn't do it for me. I still think Fire a masterpiece, the only song i skip is "I invented the night", with Senor Smoke a close second (The future is in the future has such an amazing groove).

That being said i'll still go see them live as they put on a great show. Since they never come anywhere near Buffalo looks like i'll be driving to.....Toledo, Ohio!

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

If anyone doesn't think KILL is their worst album they're doing it wrong.
Zodiac was a masterpiece compared to that.

PeppermintEgo
Feb 22, 2011

Kaboobi posted:

If anyone doesn't think KILL is their worst album they're doing it wrong.
Zodiac was a masterpiece compared to that.

My friend that has pretty awesome taste in music (and actually introduced me to Electric Six) thinks KILL is their best album. :stare:

Smoky Bandana
Oct 1, 2009

You can trip on my synthesizer.
I'd put KILL in second place after Zodiac with Switzerland bringing up the rear, I'd also say White Eyes is one of the greatest songs ever penned by man and Sexy Trash might well be one of the worst.
Haven't had the chance to hear H&B yet, unfortunately.

BobbyHeenanTinyHat
Apr 1, 2005

Calling all girls of the opposite sex

PeppermintEgo posted:

Random note- Whoever created this thread needs to change the title (if you can do that). Zodiac isn't new anymore! :wooper:

I've tried, but I don't think I can (if I can, I haven't worked out how).

Flashy, for me, gets the bottom spot because there's not a single song I'd even consider top 10 in the history of the band. Even KILL had Escape From Ohio which is in my top 5. I just couldn't really get into any song on that album, bar the two aformentioned in a previous post (Dirty Ball is maybe a contender for 10th, maybe...). I really want to like Graphic Designer, but something just puts me off and I'm not sure what it is. Maybe by the time I got to it, I was so put off by the album that it just didn't have the same effect. Who knows.

I Shall Exterminate... (ignore I Shall Destroy..., I had the word Destroy in my head for some reason) isn't musically as creative, but there's a ton of great songs on there: Down at McDonnelzzz, Dance Pattern, Riding On The White Train, I Don't Like You, Lenny Kravitz, etc. Lyrically, Dick was spot on at this point. That's also probably why I'm not hot on Flashy, coming from one of my favourite albums from any band of all time to Flashy is a pretty hard comedown.

Having said all that, it's Switzerland that conflicts me more than the others, because there are also many great songs on there, and the general sound is still riding on the good times of Fire and SS. It should be so much better than it is, but it just lays smack bang in the middle of my list. I rarely listen to it, or feel like listening to it, yet always enjoy it throughly when I do. It's just one of those albums.

PeppermintEgo
Feb 22, 2011

Smoky Bandana posted:

I'd put KILL in second place after Zodiac with Switzerland bringing up the rear, I'd also say White Eyes is one of the greatest songs ever penned by man and Sexy Trash might well be one of the worst.
Haven't had the chance to hear H&B yet, unfortunately.

I'M AN AMERICAN MAN AND I KNOW WHERE I STAND. I STAND WITH YOU...AND YOUR SEXY TRASH.

(Yes, I actually like this song a lot for it to get so much criticism from every E6 fan)

PeppermintEgo
Feb 22, 2011

M1TCH3LL posted:

I Shall Exterminate... (ignore I Shall Destroy..., I had the word Destroy in my head for some reason) isn't musically as creative, but there's a ton of great songs on there: Down at McDonnelzzz, Dance Pattern, Riding On The White Train, I Don't Like You, Lenny Kravitz, etc. Lyrically, Dick was spot on at this point. That's also probably why I'm not hot on Flashy, coming from one of my favourite albums from any band of all time to Flashy is a pretty hard comedown.

I think Flashy is their best album lyrically, easily. Speaking of lesbian witches, a flight that has gone down to a man who has just recently fallen in love with a woman that was on it in such a short period of time, and Watching Evil Empires fall Apart...don't even get me started. As I have stated in this thread before, I think that is easily their most beautiful song lyrically and uh...instrumentally.
I also love the lyrics to Heavy Woman. "Yeah, she was once a little girl but someone downed her and she fell into a heavy world" gets me every time where I have to sing it aloud.
Also, I can't remember where I found this online but on Transatlantic Flight, they speak of an airplane going "JFK to Hethrow in the middle of the night". There is actually a plane that crashed around midnight going that route the same time they made this album. I often wonder if they're referring to that incident.
I love how Formula 409 is as sexist at it is. It's wonderful and hilarious.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Flashy is definitely a better album than Kill. :colbert:

Ribbin' Me The Wrong Way , Waste of Time and Money, I Belong in a Factory?
Edit: Lynch me but I liked those songs.

Jack Trades fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Oct 2, 2011

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

PeppermintEgo posted:

My friend that has pretty awesome taste in music (and actually introduced me to Electric Six) thinks KILL is their best album. :stare:

I'm this guy and Kill and Flashy are two of my favorites by them :shobon:

Though to be fair all it really comes down to is me liking those two just a little bit more (and Switzerland just a little bit less) than the rest of their albums.

Harry Privates
Oct 10, 2007
Well I love some songs on Flashy but I'm going to switch it up and list my favorite song from each album.

Fire - Improper Dancing
Senor Smoke - Jimmy Carter or if you count 2 songs Pleasing Interlude 1 into Dance Epidemic is pretty incredible.
Switzerland - I Buy The Drugs (My least favorite album)
Exterminate - Dance Pattern
Flashy - We Were Witchy Witchy White Women (Maybe my favorite E6 song)
Kill - Escape from Ohio
Zodiac - After Hours

Haven't given the new one a full listen yet.

techno allah
Sep 29, 2005

Well if that isn't proof that music tastes are subjective i dont know what is. I dislike pretty much all those except Dance Epidemic.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

That's the thing about E6, they really appeal to a group of very different people. I mean my favourite songs are Kukuxumushu, Dirty Ball and Face Cuts. And after that probably about half of Zodiac and I totally hate everything about KILL.

BobbyHeenanTinyHat
Apr 1, 2005

Harry Privates posted:

Fire - Improper Dancing
Senor Smoke - Jimmy Carter or if you count 2 songs Pleasing Interlude 1 into Dance Epidemic is pretty incredible.
Exterminate - Dance Pattern
Kill - Escape from Ohio
Zodiac - After Hours

I'd go with this, except maybe I'm The Bomb or Danger! High Voltage instead of Improper Dancing (although that's certainly a favourite). And then I'd outright say that Dirty Ball is my favourite on Flashy, and Night Vision for Switzerland.

PeppermintEgo
Feb 22, 2011

Here are my favorite songs from each album~
Fire- Vengeance & Fashion
Flashy- Gar Bar Part 2
HB & BW- Gridlock!
I Shall Exterminate...-Riding On The White Train
KILL- White Eyes(though none of them stick out)
Senior Smoke- Be My Dark Angel (can I put all of them here?)
Switzerland- Slices Of You
Zodiac- After Hours

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
You're making us pick favorites now? Time for some tough decision-making...

Fire - Gay Bar
Senor Smoke - Jimmy Carter
Switzerland - Pink Flamingos
I Shall Exterminate... - Tie between Kukuxumushu, Down At Mcdonnelzzz, and Rip It!.
Flashy - We Were Witchy Witchy White Women
KILL - Escape from Ohio
Zodiac - Clusterfuck!
Heartbeats & Brainwaves - Hello! I See You!

...I seem to have a thing for songs with exclaimation points in their title.

Smoky Bandana
Oct 1, 2009

All right, let's give this a go. (Albums listed from favourite to least-best, because I don't really dislike any they've put out.)

Zodiac - Jam It In The Hole
KILL - White Eyes
Fire - Synthesizer
Seņor Smoke - Hard choice, either Rock and Roll Evacuation or Dance Epidemic
Flashy - We Were Witchy Witchy White Women
...Exterminate... - When I Get To The Green Building
Switzerland - Night Vision

Heartbeats & Brainwaves - Psychic Visions (Don't know where to put this album yet since I've only heard it once when I was with a friend so I couldn't really focus on it.)

Quick Edit: Everything between Fire and Exterminate on the list is pretty much equally well regarded, was really, really hard to place them in a list.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Oh, this is tough. I'll just pick several songs that I love.

Fire - Getting Into the Jam, Naked Pictures, She's White
Senor Smoke - Future is in the Future, Vibrator, Rock and Roll Evacuation
Switzerland - Pulling the Plug, The Band in Hell (as an afterthought, that wasn't a great album)
I Shall Exterminate... - White Train, Lenny Cravitz
Flashy - Formula 409, Graphic Designer, Watching Empires Fall Apart
KILL - Escape from Ohio, Rubbin' Me the Wrong Way, I Belong in a Factory
Zodiac - Jam it in the Hole, It Ain't Punk Rock, After Hours, American Cheese.
Heartbeats & Brainwaves - Bleed for the Artist, Free Samples, French Bacon and almost everything else in the album really.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
I'm not going to rank their albums, because they're all awesome. :colbert:
But favourite songs from each album I can do.

Fire - I'm the Bomb
Switzerland - Infected Girls
Senor Smoke - Boy or Girl
I Shall Exterminate... - Dance Pattern
Flashy - Watching Evil Empires Fall Apart
KILL - I Belong in a Factory
Zodiac - Doom and Gloom and Doom and Gloom

wyoming fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Oct 3, 2011

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
French Bacon is incredible.

BobbyHeenanTinyHat
Apr 1, 2005

Having listened to Heartbeats and Brainwaves a few times now, I'm going to put it above Flashy, Kill AND Zodiac. It's certainly different in spots, but my initial feeling is that I really like the album for the most part. Gridlock!, Hello I See You and Bleed For The Artist are fantastic (the former two may be my favourite since Escape From Ohio), and there's enough good songs to keep the album listenable. A few duds here and there - Eye Contact does nothing for me - but the hit rate is pretty strong, and that's more than Flashy and Kill. Zodiac was similarly consistent, but Gridlock! is a stand-out that Zodiac didn't have for me, so that pushes it up.

So now, my updated order would be

I Shall Exterminate...
Senor Smoke
Fire
Switzerland
Heartbeats
Zodiac
KILL
Flashy

Which means that, if the pattern continues, we should be due an album on par with Switzerland next.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Heartbeats And Brainwaves is really good so far, no terrible songs which is pretty much a first. Personal stand out for me is It Gets Hot, it feels like a sequel to Jam it in the Hole which was my favourite of the previous album.

techno allah
Sep 29, 2005

Jack Trades knows good music. Here we go:

Fire - Getting into the jam
Senor Smoke -Devil Nights
Switzerland - Pulling the plug on the party
I Shall Destroy - Down at Mcdonnelzzz
Flashy - Dirty Ball
KILL - Newark Airport Boogie
Zodiac - Clusterfuck

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

Oh god don't make me do this I guess I can do top 2

Fire - Gay Bar, Synthesizer
Senor Smoke - Dance Epidemic, Jimmy Carter
Switzerland - I Buy the Drugs, Night Vision
I Shall Destroy - Dance Pattern, Down at Mcdonnelzzz
Flashy - We Were Witchy Witchy White Women, Gay Bar Part Two
KILL - Escape from Ohio, Newark Airport Boogie
Zodiac - Clusterfuck!, American Cheese

I'd probably be able to name other 2 off of each one I love, but hey.

Excavation
May 18, 2004

FEED ME CRAYONS
I'm not going to order anything, it all really depends on my mood, but I'll agree that Flashy was underrated. Dirty Ball is my favourite track off the album and if I were a Republican it may just be my favourite song of all time. The call-and-response in the refrain between inversed homogender roles of top and bottom is quite possibly the finest part of that part of the song. It's my favourite song off the album anyway. I'm of the belief though that there is no such thing as a bad album, just not being on the right wavelength to appreciate the content within. I suppose that makes the worst album depend on how you feel at the time, so all of you are right! Give yourselves a pat on the back because it could no longer be more awkward even if people saw you patting yourself on the back like a cripple.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

Death Bot posted:

I'm this guy and Kill and Flashy are two of my favorites by them :shobon:

Though to be fair all it really comes down to is me liking those two just a little bit more (and Switzerland just a little bit less) than the rest of their albums.

I listened to Switzerland yesterday and realized I knew most of the songs and really liked it :shobon:

jfjnpxmy
Feb 23, 2011

by Lowtax
Switzerland is a solid album. There's no massively infectious standout like every other album has at least one of, but there's also no tragic experimental misfire like every other album has at least one of.

ANYWAY HERE IS A TRUE STORY: I used to work as a pizza delivery fella, and on one occasion managed to damage my throat so much singing along to Senor Smoke that I actually coughed blood onto a customer. She didn't notice, fortunately.

Prog Rug
Feb 23, 2011

I guess I should rank my favourite albums + songs that came from them. I have favourites from every album but I am afraid I won't have any for Heartbeats and Brainwaves. I was never really into that electronic stuff but anyways...

1stZodiac - After Hours is my favourite track but the other top tier e6 songs are Clusterfuck!, Jam it in the Hole, American Cheese and Table and Chairs.

also 1st Switzerland - Mr. Woman (I seem to like this song a lot more than other people, it's the lyrics that really get to me,) I Buy the Drugs, Pink Flamingos, and Germans in Mexico

also 1st I can't choose okay? I shall Exterminate - It's Showtime, Down at Mcdonelzzz, Dance Pattern, Riding on a White Train, Randy's Hot Tonight, and I Don't Like You

4th/2nd whatever Senior Smoke, which would actually be a number one placement if it weren't for Boy or Girl which so far is the only Electric Six song I actively dislike - Rock and Roll Evacuation, Bite Me, Jimmy Carter, Future Boys, Dance-a-thon 2005

5th Fire - Dance Commander, Danger! High Voltage, I'm the bomb (everybody seems to forget this track but it's easily the best song on fire,) Improper Dancing, Vengeance and Fashion, Synthesizer.

6th Flashy, there are a lot of songs that I just skip but I still consider a few of the songs to be great such as - Gay Bar part 2, Formula 409 (the best on this album,) We Were Witchy Witchy White Women, Making Progress

7th Kill, this album contains the most songs that I usually skip if they come up but it still has some songs I think are really good - Escape From Ohio, My Idea of Fun, The Newark Airport Boogie, and You're Bored

I still like every album :)

PeppermintEgo
Feb 22, 2011

To me, both KILL and Heartbeats & Brainwaves has a lot of filler. All of the other albums, I listen all the way through.

Smoky Bandana
Oct 1, 2009

I think I've come to like H&B quite a bit despite the heavy electro influences. Very consistent for the first half but yeah, it does feel a bit fillerish after Hello! I See You.
Interchangeable Knife's probably my favourite track at the moment. I love the guest vocals, I just wish it were a minute or so longer, could really do with another verse.

BobbyHeenanTinyHat
Apr 1, 2005

PeppermintEgo posted:

Got the thread title changed AND added a new OP with general E6 information. If anything needs adding, let me know.

Smoky Bandana
Oct 1, 2009

Nice job on that there OP, M1TCH3LL.

vv I was pretty annoyed that one didn't get onto Sexy Trash, those lyrics are transcendent. vv

Smoky Bandana fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Oct 6, 2011

Prog Rug
Feb 23, 2011

I hate to be that guy but they used to be called The Wildbunch not The Wildhearts. Doesn't really matter though since they are now Electric Six. This was always my favourite Wildbunch song http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2nIF19Wy74

BobbyHeenanTinyHat
Apr 1, 2005

Ugh, really not good with names in this thread. I am an Electric Six fan, I swear.

Fixed it now.

Prog Rug
Feb 23, 2011

Don't worry, I never listened to a Evil Cowards song until you said to get it in you OP. Now I can't stop listening to Sex Wars.

Gaspar Lewis
Nov 30, 2007

by Lowtax
Add something about White Gold to the OP maybe while we're on the subject?

Also, at current tally I see zero proclamations of the glory of "Food Dog". You heathens.

Tangents
Aug 23, 2008

Because it's by far the worst of the album. :colbert:
A lot of Heartbeats is growing on me, but that's just a dud.

PeppermintEgo
Feb 22, 2011

Gaspar Lewis posted:

Add something about White Gold to the OP maybe while we're on the subject?

Also, at current tally I see zero proclamations of the glory of "Food Dog". You heathens.

Food Dog is about a morbidly obese woman, right? This is their third song about this subject? Along with Heavy Woman (obviously) and Talking Turkey.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Someone has a fetish maybe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

I love 'It Gets Hot' it really hits the spot.

• Locked thread