Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sperg Victorious
Mar 25, 2011
The new Kindle looks like something I could fit into my pocket now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Yea, with it's size and $79 price I couldn't say no anymore and just ordered one. I'll give a small review here if that's ok with everyone.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

Decius posted:

No "big" Kindle with buttons. I'm not sure how I feel about this - depends how well their "one-hand-use"-system works and if the touchscreen influences the screen quality.

The IYG e-reader thread said something about the old Kindle 3 now being the Kindle Keyboard?

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Kemmler posted:

Looking nice and well within my budget.. too bad I live in europe :sigh:

Me too :smith::hf::sigh:
But the new 79$ Kindle is available for 99€ /89GBP now, no news about everything else.

DrKrankenwagen
Mar 21, 2005

Would Amazon let me exchange or return my Kindle for no other reason than to pre-order one of the new ones? I just ordered it last week.

DrKrankenwagen fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Sep 28, 2011

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

LamoTheKid posted:

The touch interface works just like the app. Touch center for menu, left side to go left right side to go right.

I might sell my 3G and get the 3G Touch.

I just worry that it won't work right when I have mine in a ziploc bag for summer poolside/beachside reading.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist
Now just to make sure I understand-- because now I might be getting this one for my brother-- the new $79 Kindle doesn't have a keyboard, but it does have actual buttons for going forward/back and menu and whatnot, right?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
It's got a five "key" pad. four buttons and some sort of trackpad thing.

E: also next page and previous page buttons on both the left and right side, according to the quick start guide.

If you go to kindle.com and scroll down, there's a table of all the models and their specs/features.

WithoutTheFezOn fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Sep 28, 2011

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

Bernie Sanders is a friend to my planet (pictured)

click the shit outta^
Welp just ordered my first Kindle. The $79 one because I'm not really a touch screen person anyway. Hope this thing rules.

Sperg Victorious
Mar 25, 2011

Fire In The Disco posted:

Now just to make sure I understand-- because now I might be getting this one for my brother-- the new $79 Kindle doesn't have a keyboard, but it does have actual buttons for going forward/back and menu and whatnot, right?

Yeah, it has the typical side buttons for page turning.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

I quite like the K3 keyboard if only for the extra space at the bottom. Given how I hold my kindle, my fingers would cover quite a bit of the new one's screen if I held it the same way. I know it's lighter, but does anyone hold it like that model is doing at the top of this page?

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
Oh boy I might just have to get that Kindle fire...

.... Just clicked to pre-order it.

Looks like it'll still be good to have the 3g kindle because the battery life on the fire doesn't look so great.

Jigsaw
Aug 14, 2008

infraboy posted:

Oh boy I might just have to get that Kindle fire...

.... Just clicked to pre-order it.

Looks like it'll still be good to have the 3g kindle because the battery life on the fire doesn't look so great.
Well, I for one love my Kindle 3/Keyboard enough that I don't feel the need to spend all my money on Amazon. :colbert:

(or I'm just don't have any money right now, and this is how I justify it to myself)

Optimist with doubt
May 16, 2010

Scoop Lover

:vince:

he knows...
Well I'm not upgrading to the new model, but that tablet is pretty attractive right now.

syphon
Jan 1, 2001
Kinda interesting how you can buy a Kindle Touch with free 3g, but the Kindle Fire doesn't come with it. I guess they assume that a user with a full tablet will be using a LOT more out of their internet connection, so they don't want to provide it with the Fire!

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

syphon posted:

Kinda interesting how you can buy a Kindle Touch with free 3g, but the Kindle Fire doesn't come with it. I guess they assume that a user with a full tablet will be using a LOT more out of their internet connection, so they don't want to provide it with the Fire!

Yeah, Amazon has the free data on eink Kindles because you really can't do a lot of traffic over it even if you try. They'd have to be real stupid or for someone reason in need of spending a lot of money pointlessly to bring it to a full tablet.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
The only way I could see Amazon doing free 3G data on the Fire is if it was heavily restricted (only works for Amazon services like appstore, Amazon media stuff, etc.).

Sir Prancelot
Mar 7, 2008

:h:Knight of the
Rainbow Table.:h:
Now to wait until next year when there will be a surplus of impulse-bought Fires for reduced prices that I can actually afford. :unsmith: Couldn't do that with an iPad.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

if you start with drums, you have to end with dynamite.
Here's a question: I know they're a direct competitor, but will Amazon allow a Netflix app on the Fire?

Sir Prancelot
Mar 7, 2008

:h:Knight of the
Rainbow Table.:h:

maxnmona posted:

Here's a question: I know they're a direct competitor, but will Amazon allow a Netflix app on the Fire?
They do indeed.

Sperg Victorious
Mar 25, 2011
I was surprised that they had a netflix app for Fire, but I guess a lot of people use netflix that also have prime.

modig
Aug 20, 2002

Decius posted:

No "big" Kindle with buttons. I'm not sure how I feel about this - depends how well their "one-hand-use"-system works and if the touchscreen influences the screen quality.

They are using a touch screen based on IR lasers (maybe just LEDs) that run parallel to the screen. All the hardware is in the bezel, so there should be no difference due to the touch screen. I guess the actual touching could cause problems.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Cicero posted:

The only way I could see Amazon doing free 3G data on the Fire is if it was heavily restricted (only works for Amazon services like appstore, Amazon media stuff, etc.).

Most smartphones can generate a wifi hotspot these days anyway so it is not really that big a crimp.

I'm still super happy with my Kindle 2 so I won't be upgrading that, but a cheap tablet to read the New Yorker and the Economist? sign me up.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Sir Prancelot posted:

They do indeed.
Really? I looked at Amazon's appstore and didn't see netflix.

edit: apparently it was in the announcement. I tried googling for it and just got articles about Amazon's competition with Netflix.

Social Dissonance
Nov 25, 2002

hey guys lets ride

maxnmona posted:

Seeing as it's android based, there shouldn't be anything preventing you from Netflix providing a program even outside of what Amazon offered on their store.

The real shocker is how strikingly similar the two services online offerings are. Outside of Starz content and some other random exclusives, Netflix and Prime both offer the same deluge of TV and straight-to-dvd crap. Amazon is actually working to consistently bring over better content on prime as well: They just signed a big deal with Fox and will have The Wonder Years as an exclusive. With any luck we can get some of the stuff that's Hulu only now as well!

Edit: Amazon Prime actually seems to have a higher good-to-bad crap movie ration as well. I'm sure Netflix is just as good, but it's tough to browse their content. They should really have a "sort by IMDB" option!

Social Dissonance fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Sep 29, 2011

SlightButSteady
Sep 13, 2007

Soiled Meat
The great thing about living in Australia is that there is no amazon.au, so unlike .uk or whatever we can buy directly from the US market without tax and occasionally save dollars.

Unfortunately a LOT of the cloud services are not available, so that makes the Fire a colour e-reader. Aussies take note!

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo
I sat on my kindle yesterday. :(

I think I've had it around a year or more. Do you think if I talk to amazon they will replace it like all these other success stories in here?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

My Kindle 3 is probably like a month out of warranty now, but the cracks at the bottom of the screen have become really concerningly large recently. Is it even worth my time trying to contact amazon about it? I'm pretty sure it's out or the 1 year warranty is the problem, but I know amazon has a good record of customer support.

Sperg Victorious
Mar 25, 2011
Only takes a minute or two, and the worst thing they'll do is say no.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Fire In The Disco posted:

Here's Tested.com showing off how the new Kindle looks and works. Interesting to note that the screen seems to have a faster refresh.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

SlightButSteady posted:

The great thing about living in Australia is that there is no amazon.au, so unlike .uk or whatever we can buy directly from the US market without tax and occasionally save dollars.

Unfortunately a LOT of the cloud services are not available, so that makes the Fire a colour e-reader. Aussies take note!

I've never had a problem ordering books, CDs and movies to Canada (housewares, electronics and all that other stuff is a different matter) from the US store, and on several occasions I've ordered from the UK store too. Having an in-country store just allows you to save shipping time and cost, even if you lose a dollar or two from Canadian tax and price premium.

aliasedman
Aug 14, 2011

muscles like this? posted:

Here's Tested.com showing off how the new Kindle looks and works. Interesting to note that the screen seems to have a faster refresh.
Tested owns.

Just wanted to share this 17 minute hands on/review video which goes fairly in depth with the new $79 Kindle. It answered pretty much all of my questions about the device before I ordered it.

Sharks Below
May 23, 2011

ty hc <3

IRQ posted:

My Kindle 3 is probably like a month out of warranty now, but the cracks at the bottom of the screen have become really concerningly large recently. Is it even worth my time trying to contact amazon about it? I'm pretty sure it's out or the 1 year warranty is the problem, but I know amazon has a good record of customer support.

I got mine about this time last year, screen got cracked, I contacted Amazon and they just replaced it. I guess it's probable that they checked my account to see when I bought it, and it's still in warranty? They didn't ask me though, just replaced it for free. If the cracks have been there for awhile, tell them that. Honestly what've you got to lose? Just ask them.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist
I bought my Kindle DX in the summer of 2009. Last year at some point, I called about a crack in the case. They told me that it was out of warranty, so they couldn't replace it for free, but they offered me a discount on replacing it (I didn't end up taking it, as the crack in the case doesn't stop it from working fine). So, if nothing else, you'll probably get offered that.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I want to get my wife a Kindle for xmas but I'm on the fence as to which one. She does sometimes take notes while reading so I'm leaning toward the keyboard version although she has read several books on the Kindle app on her phone so maybe it doesn't matter. Also I feel kinda cheap buying the ad supported version, the reviewers don't seem to think the ads are very intrusive though. If it were me, I'd want the touch version with no ads. Recommendations?

Diseased Dick Guy
May 14, 2011

The pit is open.

wormil posted:

I want to get my wife a Kindle for xmas but I'm on the fence as to which one. She does sometimes take notes while reading so I'm leaning toward the keyboard version although she has read several books on the Kindle app on her phone so maybe it doesn't matter. Also I feel kinda cheap buying the ad supported version, the reviewers don't seem to think the ads are very intrusive though. If it were me, I'd want the touch version with no ads. Recommendations?

As someone who likes to take notes, I would definitely suggest the keyboard if that's what she likes to do. It's not very intrusive and it's really easy to navigate around (easy enough to not feel like I'm missing out with a touchscreen.) I can live without the touch, but I really can't imagine not having the physical keys. Another thing I love about the keyboard is being able to search the book and dictionary really fast, which was a real selling point for me personally.

The ad-supported one isn't annoying at all from what I've heard. I don't have one but I hear they only appear on the home screen and as the screensavers. I hear the ads have some pretty good deals too, like discounted Amazon cards...but I could be wrong. So I guess it depends on whether or not she really really wants to see Jane Austen and Jules Verne every time she shuts off her reader ;).

Quad
Dec 31, 2007

I've seen pogs you people wouldn't believe
So I JUST learned that libraries have been lending out e-books for a while now, and decided to try it out for grins.
What weird-rear end licensing deal do libraries have, where they can only let like 4 people download the book within a 2 week period? These are not physical books, why is there a limit on how many people can read them within a certain timeframe?
I don't want to be the rear end in a top hat that goes "Man, unavailability increases piracy!"... but... well? Who's going to stay on the online "waiting list" for 6 weeks just to be able to download a copy of the new J.D. Robb or whatever, when their 11 year old son can just get it for them with no hassle, instantly?

Sperg Victorious
Mar 25, 2011
Its worse than that. HapperCollins only allows 26 times before the license expires and the library has to get a new one. Some publishers even get pissy about libraries giving out library cards too easily.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
I just preordered a Kindle Touch! I always wanted a Kindle for reading at work, and $99 is just way too good to pass up. So excited!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??

Quad posted:

So I JUST learned that libraries have been lending out e-books for a while now, and decided to try it out for grins.
What weird-rear end licensing deal do libraries have, where they can only let like 4 people download the book within a 2 week period? These are not physical books, why is there a limit on how many people can read them within a certain timeframe?
I don't want to be the rear end in a top hat that goes "Man, unavailability increases piracy!"... but... well? Who's going to stay on the online "waiting list" for 6 weeks just to be able to download a copy of the new J.D. Robb or whatever, when their 11 year old son can just get it for them with no hassle, instantly?
Much like the music industry, the publishing industry is too concerned about money and too dumb to develop better business models in the face of changing technology.

• Locked thread