Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
acksplode
May 17, 2004

Pomale posted:

Also, since I have the game early, is it safe to go on Xbox Live or will that put me at risk for getting my account banned or something. I obtained the copy legitimately, but obviously I'm not supposed to have it till Tuesday.

You're fine. You're not circumventing any security and Microsoft isn't in the business of enforcing street dates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.
So can the Pendant be obtained in the game or not? I still haven't decided between the Master Key or the Pendant yet for a starting gift. I'll go with the pendant if it can't be obtained elsewhere though.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

Pomale posted:

To be more specific for those who also already have their hands on the game: I started as a Bandit with the Master Key, and after leaving the Asylum I explored around a bit and talked to the few NPCs in the area. I went through the Undead Burg and defeated the Taurus Demon, however now my path is blocked by a dragon who kills me instantly and a door that my Master Key won't open, so I can't go any further there. So I went to the graveyard near the Firelink Shrine and can handle the skeleton's reasonably well with the Zweihander I picked up, but they're still a bit much. The Catacombs appear short and end with a dead end--it doesn't help that the skeletons just come back to life after you've killed them, so that path appears to be out. So I went and tried the New Londo(sp?) Ruins, but the ghosts there are too strong for me and I only have one Transient Curse left, so I can't go there either without just blitzing past all the enemies. The Valley of Drakes is also far too difficult (though I snagged a few good items by running past enemies), as is the Basin at the bottom of the Undead Burg (you need the Master Key). So I'm at sort of a loss. I'm at level 17 with a pretty formidable arsenal of equipment--I even went and killed that Dark Knight in the Undead Burg without too much trouble.

Went ahead and read this (even though I don't own the game yet, so take what I say with a grain of salt), and assuming the place where the dragon insta-kills you is the spot it sounds like to me, you can see how to progress by watching the GiantBomb quick look. Here's a quick hint, if you don't feel like doing that: get naked and run across the bridge as fast as you can, about halfway or a bit less across, there's a stairwell down to a lower floor which will lead to a shortcut to the bonfire and back, and a below-the-bridge area which you can use to sneak under the dragon and into the building he's guarding.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

evilalien posted:

So can the Pendant be obtained in the game or not? I still haven't decided between the Master Key or the Pendant yet for a starting gift. I'll go with the pendant if it can't be obtained elsewhere though.

The Master Key is the only gift that can't be obtained in the game world. It's the recommended starting gift according to the Japanese wiki.

I'm just going to double up as a Thief and pick the Pendant.

more like FAILdows get it
Nov 19, 2007

punch a friend in the butt

Leyburn posted:

Yeah you can, half way across the bridge with the dragon you can go under it and progress to the next part

Funkmaster General posted:

Went ahead and read this (even though I don't own the game yet, so take what I say with a grain of salt), and assuming the place where the dragon insta-kills you is the spot it sounds like to me, you can see how to progress by watching the GiantBomb quick look. Here's a quick hint, if you don't feel like doing that: get naked and run across the bridge as fast as you can, about halfway or a bit less across, there's a stairwell down to a lower floor which will lead to a shortcut to the bonfire and back, and a below-the-bridge area which you can use to sneak under the dragon and into the building he's guarding.

acksplode posted:

You're fine. You're not circumventing any security and Microsoft isn't in the business of enforcing street dates.

Wow, that was fast. Thanks, you guys are my heroes :allears:

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
How can i tell what stats I need to effectively use a weapon? I have a zweihander and spear that i would like to use

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Hi! I saw the Giant Bomb quicklook for this game and now I'm interested. I've played a lot of Ninja Gaiden 1 & 2, so which class should I pick? I understand that the fighting is much slower than in NG games, but I want to play a character that relies a lot on dodging and quick melee attacks. I don't really like shields or bows. Would the Wanderer be good?

Edit: Oh, the game isn't even out yet. Welp

Minorkos fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Oct 2, 2011

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

Minorkos posted:

Hi! I saw the Giant Bomb quicklook for this game and now I'm interested. I've played a lot of Ninja Gaiden 1 & 2, so which class should I pick? I understand that the fighting is much slower than in NG games, but I want to play a character that relies a lot on dodging and quick melee attacks. I don't really like shields or bows. Would the Wanderer be good?

Wanderer sounds like the best option for a dodgy melee-focused character. A thief might work, too.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Class doesn't matter outside of starting gear and starting stats. You can spec in any direction as you level up and equip anything as long as you meet the stat requirements.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Minorkos posted:

Edit: Oh, the game isn't even out yet. Welp

Just fyi the combat is nothing at all like Ninja Gaiden. That said, you can play any character who has light/no armor (or in the lategame heavy armor and high endurance) as quick character who dodges as their main form of avoidance.

Metrohunter
Sep 30, 2009

Ain't no thing like me, 'cept me.
Having a shield is just plain common sense, regardless of your spec.
e: Good rule of thumb that has yet to let me down in Demons: The more awesome you're trying to look, the lower your chance of survival will be.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Fauxtool posted:

How can i tell what stats I need to effectively use a weapon? I have a zweihander and spear that i would like to use

If you go to the weapon in your menu screen one of the boxes should have minimum stat requirements.

It's the arm, hand, candle, and star icons which represent Strength, Dex, Intelligence, and Faith respectively.

qbert fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Oct 2, 2011

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
Yeah, going without a shield sounds like madness to me.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

Leyburn posted:

Yeah, going without a shield sounds like madness to me.

It'll be harder, but it's not impossible. My last playthrough on Demon's was a two handed claymore run.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011

Zero000 posted:

If anybody cares, I'm streaming! http://www.twitch.tv/zero000

help im bad

hahahaha zero you just got tricked into killing the wrong dude. never listen to stream monsters

and that ring is something you can get elsewhere if you know what to do :negative:

ThePhenomenalBaby fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Oct 2, 2011

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Can you switch between 1-handed and 2-handed as quickly as in Demon's Souls? When I played 2 handers in Demon's I would always carry a shield for advancing on archers and the like, and then just tap triangle to switch to 2-hand wielding my weapon when it was time to attack.

Bitch Twinkles
Nov 5, 2007

HAVE COURAGE PLAY ST MODE

The Moon Monster posted:

Can you switch between 1-handed and 2-handed as quickly as in Demon's Souls? When I played 2 handers in Demon's I would always carry a shield for advancing on archers and the like, and then just tap triangle to switch to 2-hand wielding my weapon when it was time to attack.

yeah, same way too

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata
edit: I know the OP says they're the same, but I've been hearing some people say the PS3 version has some bad framerate issues. How do the two console versions compare?

Amazon hasn't shipped my order yet (that release date delivery better be quick) so I probably still have time to change if it's vastly better on the Xbox. And if I don't have to have a Gold account to play online.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Bitch Twinkles posted:

yeah, same way too

I really liked how Demon's Souls handled weapons and shield this way. I don't think I've ever encountered it in any other video game. You never had to make a forced choice between speccing/carrying 1-H, 2H weapons, or shields.

It was definitely fun boosting your strength high enough to 1-hand, previously 2-hander swords.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
The game chugs along quite badly during some sections. In one area in particular it was slowing to a ~5fps crawl. This is on PS3.

Metrohunter
Sep 30, 2009

Ain't no thing like me, 'cept me.

Bummey posted:

edit: I know the OP says they're the same, but I've been hearing some people say the PS3 version has some bad framerate issues. How do the two console versions compare?

Amazon hasn't shipped my order yet (that release date delivery better be quick) so I probably still have time to change if it's vastly better on the Xbox. And if I don't have to have a Gold account to play online.

The 360 version is reportedly less stable than the PS3 version. And from what I read in this thread the slowdown is really only an issue in one or two areas.

Bitch Twinkles
Nov 5, 2007

HAVE COURAGE PLAY ST MODE
I know during the Belfry fight, I had the game lock up for about 5 seconds while the boss was mid swing, the music kept playing, but everything else was frozen. Then it just kept going normally. This was on the 360 version, 250 gig slim, installed.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Bummey posted:

From what I've read the framerate issues are area-specific, as in they happen on both consoles due to what the game is trying to display at the moment. Both versions should play pretty much the same. PS3 was lead console during development, and IGN did their 24-hour stream on the 360 with no noticeable hiccups.

Leos Klein
Mar 11, 2011

ALL HAIL CARDIEL

Past the 3rd boss spoilers. I ran through the catacombs because the skeletons weren't giving me any souls! Killed Pinwheel on my first try, but I died when one of his copies shot me in the back while he was dying. Now I'm stuck in the Tomb of the Giants. Is it possible to run through that place too?

empathe
Nov 9, 2003

>:|
Made a quick video of the spot I'm grinding fairly early in the game. Light spoilers (no bosses defeated, but you may see something you don't want ruined)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKbjTaRJ3pk

Ralconn
Aug 2, 2006

I kind of regret pre-ordring this at Amazon rather than Gamestop because now I can't get it at midnight. :(

Agnostic watermelon
Jul 1, 2009

I'm a lil' Brony!

Ralconn posted:

I kind of regret pre-ordring this at Amazon rather than Gamestop because now I can't get it at midnight. :(

Me too :(.

[e] Plus I have to wait till the end of the day on Tuesday beacuse UPS always comes after 7

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

empathe posted:

Made a quick video of the spot I'm grinding fairly early in the game. Light spoilers (no bosses defeated, but you may see something you don't want ruined)

Thanks. You don't make too many souls but I can see the repeatable nature allows you to do some light leveling and item grinding. Something I'll take advantage of.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

Ralconn posted:

I'm actually glad I work weekdays simply for the fact that I have to work until 4PM Tuesday. Though the wait probably won't be any better.

Currently so close, and yet so far.

empathe
Nov 9, 2003

>:|

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Thanks. You don't make too many souls but I can see the repeatable nature allows you to do some light leveling and item grinding. Something I'll take advantage of.

Yeah, it's not a ton of souls, but it's really easy. The only risk is the two spear skeletons if you get lazy.

A Nice Boy
Feb 13, 2007

First in, last out.

empathe posted:

Saw this vid on reddit already and it's good stuff, man. Please make more. Also, if there's a way to make your voice slightly louder over the ingame sounds, that'd be dope. Anyway, I like your narration style, so if you want to make more vids I'll watch 'em. :D

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhDsSxLU0I8

Wow. I'm watching Zero's stream with this playing. It fits. I might just have to play Dark Souls with this in the background. Or maybe http://batpound.ytmnd.com/

Tough choice!

Jetpack Postman
Jun 30, 2011
For you guys who've pre-ordered from Amazon and took Release Day Delivery: Did any of you get a delivery notification yet? The last time I did release day delivery from Amazon was for Bayonetta, and while it arrived on time I can't remember when I got the notification for it. I'm just hoping one full delivery day will be enough to get it to me on time.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

It's always been on the day before for me, but I live pretty close to a distribution center so...

The only release-date delivery that's ever been late for me was Catherine.

Agnostic watermelon
Jul 1, 2009

I'm a lil' Brony!
Yeah, mine always comes between 11pm-3am the day before.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Jetpack Postman posted:

For you guys who've pre-ordered from Amazon and took Release Day Delivery: Did any of you get a delivery notification yet? The last time I did release day delivery from Amazon was for Bayonetta, and while it arrived on time I can't remember when I got the notification for it. I'm just hoping one full delivery day will be enough to get it to me on time.

I haven't received shipping notification. I don't know where the nearest distribution center is but if I had to guess I'd say 2 hours away in Spokane.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
You get the shipping e-mail when it gets shipped. Release day is (somehow cheaper) one-day shipping.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

gibbed posted:

It's always been on the day before for me, but I live pretty close to a distribution center so...

The only release-date delivery that's ever been late for me was Catherine.

I live 45 minutes from one of the Distribution Centers, but even before I moved here I've never had a game be late from Amazon.

I always preorder from them.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

The last release date shipment I got from Amazon (Team Ico Collection) shipped on the 26th and got here on the 27th. It went from Pennsylvania to Georgia in the span of around six hours. I'd imagine it'll ship on the third and be at your door by the middle of the day on the fourth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

Sadly the hardcover guide doesn't have release date shipping.

• Locked thread