Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

RBA Starblade posted:

Fallout: Detroit. The twist is it has become a Utopia.

I'm actually imagining the Detroit of the Fallout universe to have been a booming city even pre-war. It'd be like if the automobile/arms industry there never crashed and instead Detroit remained at the top of the car and military technology trade. I'm pretty sure that a big factor in the fall of Detroit was the rise of the import automobile, and I'm picturing the fiercely nationalistic world of pre-war Fallout America to be against foreign trade to that degree.

So that would, of course, mean that Detroit after the war of 2077 is just like the modern Detroit we have now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abilifier
Apr 8, 2008

Mercury Crusader posted:

Well, now I know where I want the next Fallout game to take place. Possibly make it take place in the Appalachians. Get involved with all the feudin' between different families, have an abundance of moonshine, maybe meet some hillbilly squids what talk like they is Unknown Hinson. Throw some references to "The Hills Have Eyes" (preferably the 1977 version) and some jokey Petticoat Junction stuff and we're golden.

They already kind of did that with Point Lookout.

Assumethisisreal
May 21, 2007

Dead Man Posting posted:

Yeah, I actually kinda want this.

I've asked myself why motorcycles/mutated horses weren't available for use in FO3 and FNV. I hope they add something like this in there.

Not unless they FINALLY add some goddamned mounted combat. I don't want to have to park and get off my motorcycle to shoot at a cazador.

BigRoman
Jun 19, 2005
If anyone has finished the Lonesome Road I have a question:

How do you get the lonesome road perk? Do you have to leave ED-E in the repair/stasis chamber? Or can you get it by having him disarm the nukes?

Dush
Jan 23, 2011

Mo' Money

BigRoman posted:

If anyone has finished the Lonesome Road I have a question:

How do you get the lonesome road perk? Do you have to leave ED-E in the repair/stasis chamber? Or can you get it by having him disarm the nukes?

You have to leave him.

DieLaughing
Jun 27, 2005

We're in a shooting war. We need something to shoot with.

Wolfsheim posted:

All the official announcements show up on Bethesda's blog, but its all just kinda generic marketing talk.

Semi-related, but one of the questions asked when Skyrim was announced was if it had a branching main plot like New Vegas, and the official response was something like "we just want to focus on telling a specific story really well, since that's what we're good at." So in case you were hoping Obsidian might've actually taught them a thing or two about game development, the answer looks to be not really.

I would expect Fallout 4 to follow more closely to the 'choices' present in Fallout 3 than anything meaningful, unless they hand it off to Obsidian, which they won't. But hey, I understand New Vegas made them quite a bit of cash, maybe they'll ask Obsidian for another offshoot in six years.

Well maybe they'll at least keep the ammo reloading bench. :ohdear:

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Huh, guess I was wrong.

Mulva fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Oct 2, 2011

Mr Fahrenheit
Dec 10, 2010

Travelin' at the speed of light.

Assumethisisreal posted:

Not unless they FINALLY add some goddamned mounted combat. I don't want to have to park and get off my motorcycle to shoot at a cazador.

If this is a sequel and we don't have the Heartless perk, I wouldn't even try. I'd just keep rolling and hope to Christ I have enough gas to get to the nearest BoS compound.

BigRoman
Jun 19, 2005
nevermind ignore me.

Lets Fuck Bro
Apr 14, 2009

Democrazy posted:

Hey guys, I played Fallout New Vegas and pretty much loved the game. Would getting Fallout/Fallout 2 be a good decision, or are they too dated to really be enjoyed these days? In other words, have they aged well for someone who is playing them +10 years later?
YES! I just recently played Fallout 2 for the first time in preparation for playing New Vegas (which I'm still working on). It was a loving blast! It was easy enough to adjust to the clunky interface (which is mostly quite serviceable, just with a few rather questionable design decisions). I was riveted to that game until I beat it, which is rare for me - I almost never finish games nowadays.

Fallout 1 is a different story - I have tried to get into that game at least 3 times and I always get super bored in the starting town.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
I *thought* I got it when I disarmed, but deleted my saves when I started over and for the life of me can't find another source saying you can. I may have been whacked out on goofballs and no sleep.

Bobfly
Apr 22, 2007
EGADS!
So... I just got this game, and now I'm in the process of dreaming up a character concept. I really like the concept of the cowboy perk, but I was also thinking about a NINJER! build of mostly stealth, melee weapons and light armour. How idiotic is this on a scale from 1 to 10?

J Bjelke-Postersen
Sep 16, 2007

I have a 6 point plan to stop the boats.....or turn them around or something....No wait what were those points again....Are there really 6?

Bobfly posted:

So... I just got this game, and now I'm in the process of dreaming up a character concept. I really like the concept of the cowboy perk, but I was also thinking about a NINJER! build of mostly stealth, melee weapons and light armour. How idiotic is this on a scale from 1 to 10?

You can definitely do this, light armour like Sierra Madre Security and Josh Graham's give you high DT on light armour. You'll want to hook up guns or energy weapons for killing stuff like Deathclaws though. Maybe incorporate guns and be a sniper ninja?

Bobfly
Apr 22, 2007
EGADS!
I could be a cowboy ninja! It's like being 10 again!

Thanks. I was mostly wondering if you needed massive armour to stand a chance at succeeding in close combat. Incidentally, is there a cheesy stealth armour equivalent in this game? Or if not, how realistic is sneak attacking dudes from melee?

Bobfly fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Oct 3, 2011

CommanderCoffee
Feb 27, 2011

Ladies.

Bobfly posted:

Combine them. Make a Ninja Cowboy. It's not really idiotic, the game is meant to be winnable by any build (Unlike Fallout 3, where the only real way to play was to have 2 of your 3 tag skills be repair and small guns).

J Bjelke-Postersen
Sep 16, 2007

I have a 6 point plan to stop the boats.....or turn them around or something....No wait what were those points again....Are there really 6?
Jury rigging, hand loader and .45's forever.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
If you absolutely love a certain idea, but are stuck against the fact that certain weapons become unworkable later on, you can always get the Signature Weapons mod. It's unbalanced as poo poo if used on a powerful weapon, but if you use it on a straight razor you can legitimately have a dude that kills Deathclaws with one.

J Bjelke-Postersen
Sep 16, 2007

Boogaleeboo posted:

If you absolutely love a certain idea, but are stuck against the fact that certain weapons become unworkable later on, you can always get the Signature Weapons mod. It's unbalanced as poo poo if used on a powerful weapon, but if you use it on a straight razor you can legitimately have a dude that kills Deathclaws with one.

I've done this for my shovel run. One man, one shovel.

Brace
May 29, 2010

by Ozmaugh
We're not gonna go quietly, our big irons jingle jangle so much we hope for a nuclear winter.

CommanderCoffee
Feb 27, 2011

Ladies.

Brace posted:

We're not gonna go quietly, our big irons jingle jangle so much we hope for a nuclear winter.

Where the Legion and The Kings reference? :colbert:

Brace
May 29, 2010

by Ozmaugh

CommanderCoffee posted:

... the legion can count on that.

Meowjesty
Oct 23, 2009

Friends depend on each other.

CommanderCoffee posted:

The line's delivered by a Legionaire who hunts you down to give you seven bullets, courtesy of the King. :colbert:

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

J Bjelke-Postersen posted:

You can definitely do this, light armour like Sierra Madre Security and Josh Graham's give you high DT on light armour. You'll want to hook up guns or energy weapons for killing stuff like Deathclaws though. Maybe incorporate guns and be a sniper ninja?

My usual strategy for unarmed/melee characters is to pump up explosives as my secondary weapon skill. Most enemies can be bludgeoned or stabbed to death, and the tougher or more dangerous ones can be showered in carefully hoarded high explosives. And it just feels thematically appropriate for a big, thick punchy type to also like things that go boom.

Sniper ninja is cool too, though. The stealth system is kind of poo poo for close-in work, but it's very effective for sneaking up on the edge of a camp and sniping it clean with sneak crits.

J Bjelke-Postersen
Sep 16, 2007

Wingnut Ninja posted:

My usual strategy for unarmed/melee characters is to pump up explosives as my secondary weapon skill. Most enemies can be bludgeoned or stabbed to death, and the tougher or more dangerous ones can be showered in carefully hoarded high explosives. And it just feels thematically appropriate for a big, thick punchy type to also like things that go boom.

I never take explosives so I made my melee guy explosives as a secondary skill. However with the DLC I know have melee, unarmed, guns and explosives to choose from with energy climbing up. My only other skills are repair and science. Feels good to pick up any weapon in the game and kill things, but I've got a hundred missiles currently, I figure those will last me a good while. Explosives is really fun and I'm sad I never took it before for fear of running out of ammo and hauling heavy guns around.

Sneak crit missile against whole camps of dudes is awesome. Also against those gross Centaurs at the north east of the map in a big pit, that was a Memorable Missile.

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Brace posted:

True to Caesar, we're not gonna go quietly. Our big irons jingle jangle so much we hope for a nuclear winter, baby.

Fixed for Legion and King references.

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

If you're not willing to lick the boot, then really why are you in politics lol? Everything is a cycle of just getting stomped on so why do you want to lose to it over and over, just submit like me, I'm very intelligent.

Goofballs posted:

Those are still good games but going back can be kind of rough. The combat is in comparison brutally slow. It improves as your guns get better and you can kill people faster but at the start you are more or less hitting one to two shots a turn probably without even killing the other guy and then the other enemies take their turns which with ten or more enemeis is painful to wait through. It isn't even that tactical when compared to other turn based games like jagged alliance. Its just dull. When you have good guns its much more bearable so if you do go back be prepared for a few bad hours.

Well the slow turn-based style of combat is kinda a let-down (it's part of the reason why I never got into the Final Fantasy series), but I suppose I'll be able to deal with it if it has as good a story as people say. One of the things I liked about New Vegas was all the story options it had using the karma and reputation systems. Does Fallout 2 get in-depth with that? I heard it was a lot more like New Vegas than Fallout 3 in that respect.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Bobfly posted:

I could be a cowboy ninja! It's like being 10 again!

Thanks. I was mostly wondering if you needed massive armour to stand a chance at succeeding in close combat. Incidentally, is there a cheesy stealth armour equivalent in this game? Or if not, how realistic is sneak attacking dudes from melee?

Here is a mod I think you will like. If you can, try and fiddle with the GECK so you can wear the mask and a cowboy hat at the same time.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

SeanBeansShako posted:

Here is a mod I think you will like. If you can, try and fiddle with the GECK so you can wear the mask and a cowboy hat at the same time.

I like how the mod gives you a spiny ridge :3: Rarrr! I'm a ninja dino.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

boo_radley posted:

I like how the mod gives you a spiny ridge :3: Rarrr! I'm a ninja dino.

Apparently, despite the awesome throwing stars those Ninjas are allergic to Plasma death.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
Is there a way not to start with the preorder pack items? Even when I uncheck the .esms for the packs, I still start the game with the items.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

TastyLemonDrops posted:

Is there a way not to start with the preorder pack items? Even when I uncheck the .esms for the packs, I still start the game with the items.

http://www.newvegasnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=39776

This allows you to either integrate the DLC into the game better so you don't start off with everything or to disable the preorder DLC altogether.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Yeah the .NAM files will make the DLC's files load whether you want them to or not, and if you delete the .NAM files Steam will just redownload them. The mod in the post above is your best bet.

ClearAirTurbulence
Apr 20, 2010
The earth has music for those who listen.

Democrazy posted:

Well the slow turn-based style of combat is kinda a let-down (it's part of the reason why I never got into the Final Fantasy series), but I suppose I'll be able to deal with it if it has as good a story as people say. One of the things I liked about New Vegas was all the story options it had using the karma and reputation systems. Does Fallout 2 get in-depth with that? I heard it was a lot more like New Vegas than Fallout 3 in that respect.

The karma and reputation systems are actually a bit more complicated in Fallout 2 than in Fallout: NV. Karma is more important, though it still takes second place to reputation. Certain activities like grave robbing and killing children can permanently effect the way some people think of you. Different towns each have their own separate reputation value for you, so slaughtering everybody in one town won't immediately make everybody hate you in the next, but word of your actions spreads - if you are hated in one town and the next one over still likes you, after a few days your reputation will start going down in the next town as people hear about your exploits. You can find yourself in the fun situation of having to outrun your reputation (and that gets a lot easier when you get a car).

Drugs are still powerful, but a lot more dangerous due to the lack of Fixer - I'm not sure if there's even a way to remove addictions, but if there is, it's not as easy. I had a mentat-addict who would start talking like a caveman if he didn't get his fix, first thing to do when I rolled into a new town was try and buy some mentats before people found out about how evil I was.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I'm pretty sure that grave robbing has no effect other than making "Grave Digger" appear in your karma section.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

ClearAirTurbulence posted:

Drugs are still powerful, but a lot more dangerous due to the lack of Fixer - I'm not sure if there's even a way to remove addictions, but if there is, it's not as easy. I had a mentat-addict who would start talking like a caveman if he didn't get his fix, first thing to do when I rolled into a new town was try and buy some mentats before people found out about how evil I was.

You can go cold turkey for a week to fix all addictions except Jet. And you can find a Jet Antidote in some places.

J Bjelke-Postersen
Sep 16, 2007

Buffout is the best addiction. Even at strength 10 I need to get that pump on.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
Psycho and Jet abuse with a high AGL character is the best. Eat two Vindicator bursts in one rounds bitches! :black101:

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

closeted republican posted:

Psycho and Jet abuse with a high AGL character is the best. Eat two Vindicator bursts in one rounds bitches! :black101:
Pff. The only use I have for jet is to make Turbo. Can't beat turbo. Turbo turboturboturboturbo.

Also, med-x and slasher together when you want to go toe-to-toe with deathclaws.

Sam.
Jan 1, 2009

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:

Democrazy posted:

FO1 has much better story and atmosphere then FO2, but FO2 is bigger. FO1 is to FO2 as NV is to FO3, to some extent. Which isn't to say FO2 is a bad game. Get both, play the first then the second.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Allahu Snackbar
Apr 16, 2003

I came all the way from Taipei today, now Bangkok's pissin' rain and I'm goin' blind again.
I'm surprised to hear folks say there's a qualitative dip between Fallout 1 and Fallout 2. If anything, I found Fallout 2 to take everything that is great in Fallout 1 and improve upon it. It's a vastly larger game, full of more things to do, and you can do it without a ticking clock plot effect.

You should definitely get both and play them, especially for the price. They're too good to ignore.