Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Speedball posted:

So, does Dark Souls still have the same "souls are money AND experience points" thing going for it? That was always a tricky balancing act, for me.

Yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Speedball posted:

So, does Dark Souls still have the same "souls are money AND experience points" thing going for it? That was always a tricky balancing act, for me.
Yep, that's it exactly.

You can kinda sorta think of soul ITEMS as money, that's what I do. I pretty much only use them at shops, while I use souls I gather the normal way to level up.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
Anyone have any idea which upgrade path is the equivalent of Crushing (gives your weapon a strength modifier) from Demon's Souls? I got the chance to upgrade my starting axe to Raw, but it seemed to lower the strength modifier, so I've just been taking it along the standard upgrade line instead.

Unknown_PC
Oct 9, 2002

What do you mean it's not done!?
Sen's Castle: The Real Dark Souls Starts Here :negative:

I must have died 30 times here looking for the shortcut and bonfire. Who would have thought you have to jump over the edge to reach the bonfire (Nico video). The bomb-tossing giant up top really caught me off guard the first time.

Leyburn posted:

Anyone have any idea which upgrade path is the equivalent of Crushing (gives your weapon a strength modifier) from Demon's Souls? I got the chance to upgrade my starting axe to Raw, but it seemed to lower the strength modifier, so I've just been taking it along the standard upgrade line instead.

Doesn't look like there is crushing-equivalent according to the JP wiki page.

Mug
Apr 26, 2005
Does Dark Souls still involve powering off your console as you plummet off a cliff to avoid the punishment of death like Demon's Souls did? Because I did that a lot.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
I switched my console off in a rage when I got cursed, and when I loaded it back up it had saved at the moment of death and gave me the prompt telling me I was cursed, but had somehow forgot to apply the actual curse. Bwahahaha.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
I'm not sure how Amazon expects to get this to me tomorrow when it still hasn't shipped yet.

Yeehaw McKickass
Dec 15, 2004

Megasabin posted:

I'm not sure how Amazon expects to get this to me tomorrow when it still hasn't shipped yet.

Next day air won't ship until this afternoon or evening.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Megasabin posted:

You'd be surprised. Once they get it out of the depot, they can get it practically anywhere in the country in no time.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

So the release date for the guide is listed as today on Gamestop - I wonder if my local store will have a copy at lunch today.

Because I can totally see myself feverishly reading the guide tonight in anticipation of tomorrow.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Amazon Canada doesn't even have release day shipping, there is priority but that makes it $79 CDN. Lucky Americans. :3: I could just cancel and get it in a store but it'll be here by Friday probably, gives me most of the weekend to enter hell.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

VanillaGorilla posted:

So the release date for the guide is listed as today on Gamestop - I wonder if my local store will have a copy at lunch today.

Because I can totally see myself feverishly reading the guide tonight in anticipation of tomorrow.

Don't do it, that's like eating dessert before dinner, you won't have an appetite. :(

All jokes aside. Guys, tomorrow is the big day for all of us who don't have dirty little street date breaking stores around us. :neckbeard:

I've decided I'm rolling deprived, I think it'll be fun having to rely on finding some armor right out of the gate.

Talran
Sep 11, 2005

Be gone with you! You'll spoil my focus.
So ah, I'm stuck at the two knights(as in I ground 5 humanity into them with two partners each and died every time). I forget their names, but bloody hell, if you kill the big (easy to lightning to death) one the smaller one om nom noms on his corpse and becomes some sort of Zeus golem, trying the other way is like asking big guy to stop fighting who he is and sit on me and my other partner.
Real Dark Souls starts here.

Smelly posted:

Don't do it, that's like eating dessert before dinner, you won't have an appetite. :(

All jokes aside. Guys, tomorrow is the big day for all of us who don't have dirty little street date breaking stores around us. :neckbeard:

I've decided I'm rolling deprived, I think it'll be fun having to rely on finding some armor right out of the gate.

I rolled Deprived, and after you get set up it's just like every other character, but it's nice working up from the bottom. :3

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Hmm, Amazon estimates it'll be here on the 7th. Which is nice because its the beginning of the weekend, but terrible because I want to play it now.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

Talran posted:

I rolled Deprived, and after you get set up it's just like every other character, but it's nice working up from the bottom. :3

I think the main reason I'm doing it is just so I have even stats, it's as close to all 1's I can get.

Actually it'd be really neat if we could start a character at 1 with all 1 stats. The real Dark Souls starts here. :v:

Edit: I've got my next playthrough decided playing as a Belmont

I wonder how long it'll take before we start seeing no level, no repair runs and stuff.

Talran
Sep 11, 2005

Smelly posted:

I think the main reason I'm doing it is just so I have even stats, it's as close to all 1's I can get.

Actually it'd be really neat if we could start a character at 1 with all 1 stats. The real Dark Souls starts here. :v:

Edit: I've got my next playthrough decided playing as a Belmont

I wonder how long it'll take before we start seeing no level, no repair runs and stuff.

I forget what is the closest to a clean slate for stats, but it's nice being within arms reach of any build starting with all 11's. And oh god, I can see no repair runs, perhaps no upgrade runs, but no level runs? I'm level 50 and I'm nothing to those two knights, even in my kick arse heavy armor, and there's one small one who won let me run around enough in light armor. Though I'm sure in the end it's possible, it's funny how un-possible it seems now :3

Also! Since people are getting into this soon. If you see Talran/tipo that's me.

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.

Talran posted:

I forget what is the closest to a clean slate for stats, but it's nice being within arms reach of any build starting with all 11's.

It depends entirely on what build you are going for, but Wanderer and Pyro will be the closest to a clean slate for most people since they have the most starting stats after adjusting for SL, and they start at a fairly low SL (3 for Wanderer, 1 for Pyro).

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Smelly posted:

I think I'd be most impressed by a sword hilt only playthrough.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic
^^^ This would be the longest game in history..^^^

Talran posted:

I forget what is the closest to a clean slate for stats, but it's nice being within arms reach of any build starting with all 11's. And oh god, I can see no repair runs, perhaps no upgrade runs, but no level runs?

Yeah, that's part of why I decided on Deprived, I plan on going fatrollin' heavy armored dude, but I might decide differently after playing a bit.

I also didn't think SL 1 runs were possible in Demon's Souls, but people showed me wrong. I've even got a guy that needs to do 1-3,1-4, and I think all of world 5 still at level 1.

Double Monocle
Sep 4, 2008

Smug as fuck.

Smelly posted:

^^^ This would be the longest game in history..^^^

Yeah, that's part of why I decided on Deprived, I plan on going fatrollin' heavy armored dude, but I might decide differently after playing a bit.

I also didn't think SL 1 runs were possible in Demon's Souls, but people showed me wrong. I've even got a guy that needs to do 1-3,1-4, and I think all of world 5 still at level 1.

If it makes you feel better, 90% of the soul level 1 is just spamming soul arrow or whatever the royal starting spell is at EVERYTHING. They get all the +% magic damage items and abuse "hyper mode" (clever rats ring / morion blade for about 60% more damage)

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Double Monocle posted:

If it makes you feel better, 90% of the soul level 1 is just spamming soul arrow or whatever the royal starting spell is at EVERYTHING. They get all the +% magic damage items and abuse "hyper mode" (clever rats ring / morion blade for about 60% more damage)

Hyper mode is actually 140% more damage. It goes ((1 * 1.5) * 1.6) = 2.4

I think a ring of magical sharpness on top of that would bring it to 188% extra damage.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Yeah, SL 1 runs wouldn't be nearly as doable as they are without the use of spells. Thankfully, Soul Ray is a 1-slot spell. The +magic damage equipment also makes a big difference.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Volitaire posted:

Uh huh glad we could reach a consensus.

Just so we are clear, the difference between a flick and a press is that when flicking, the stick has to be quickly returned to the default position correct? And what you're saying Neo is that, unlike in DeS, that actually matters?

This is exactly correct.

This game keeps getting better and better. Their site failed to load up my CE downloads and now won't let me use that code again. So far faster to just download the stuff from somewhere else than to continue the customer service call and do it legitimately. :smith: I usually don't follow a lot of the Facebook tie-in promotional site stuff but is it all usually as, uh, vague and not working as preparetodie.com?

I know it has some minor flaws but this is absolutely my GOTY, the only game I bought for full price ASAP.

Also if anyone is still having trouble with backstabbing I found the sweet spot. Instead of just to the left of the enemy's back it's to the right of the character's back now. Smart choice since enemies are right handed and are better at matching your strafing now (just like King's Field 3). You can beat this though by strafing counter-clockwise for a short bit, then quickly going clockwise to get to their back/right and as an added bonus because they started following your counter-clockwise strafe first, most attacks will completely miss you as you go for the backstab (just like King's Field 3).

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Oct 3, 2011

Jetpack Postman
Jun 30, 2011
I've got a busy day today and not a lot of time, so I'll leave this Eurogamer review here and let it speak for itself. Compare to Demon's Souls' review, which also got 9/10. Reviews don't matter much, but it's nice to see this game getting a good reception.

Fizzil
Aug 24, 2005

There are five fucks at the edge of a cliff...

oh god goons help me out:

the boss in the undercity is extreme bullshit, the capra demon not only is in a very tight space, the dogs with him are very good at blocking your rolls making your space even tighter and they are very hard to kill with that demon shaving 90% of my HP even when i block with a shield

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

Fizzil posted:

the boss in the undercity is extreme bullshit, the capra demon not only is in a very tight space, the dogs with him are very good at blocking your rolls making your space even tighter and they are very hard to kill with that demon shaving 90% of my HP even when i block with a shield

I don't have it, but this is one that I saw the IGN guys fight.

What they did is run straight up the stairs to the left at the start and take out the dogs there since they'll get to you before the Demon, they then jumped onto that ledge to the left of the stairs and jumped ontop of the Demon. The way I see it, it seems to be a lot easier if you manage to off the dogs first.

Not much, but hopefully it helps you a bit.

Edit: And here I told myself I wouldn't spoil myself. Curiosity got the better of me. :(

Talran
Sep 11, 2005

Fizzil posted:

You should....Take out the dogs and hit the demon with a horizontal slashing weapon. Or upgrade a spear far enough. Then the demon is a simple matter of ledge jump attacking, or sniping with a bow, perhaps pull in a blue?

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
Boss related spoilers: The demon himself is fairly simple to handle once he is on his own. Try to dispatch the dogs first. The easiest way of doing this is to use the stairs to lure them up, they'll get there a lot quicker than the demon.

Requesting some advice about an area near the start: Has anyone bothered going down the skeleton filled path at the start? My character is about level 40 just now and I had been working my way through Sen's Fortress and getting the hang of it. Was thinking of switching things up and going to explore the skeleton area. Is it worth doing? I thought that would be the path to the second bell, but I found that via a completely different path.

Also looking for some forest area advice: There is also the gate in the forest that I can buy a crest to gain entry to, for a rather pricey 20000 souls. So far I've had no indication that I need to go there, but I'd be tempted to lay down the souls for the crest after I've got another few levels under my belt.

Thanks folks.

Leyburn fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Oct 3, 2011

Wizard Whateley
Apr 12, 2002

I am a bootlicking scab who loves seeing people be paid less than living wages. If the workers don't like it they should just kill themselves. Let me know who is organizing so I can report them to management. I pine for the days of the Pinkertons.
Anyone know anything about the status of the strategy guide? I'm curious if it'll be faster to ship from Future Press in the UK or from Amazon. I somehow don't think Amazon even have their copies yet and will be waiting to get theirs from overseas... The Bayonetta guide from Future Press (aka: the best strategy guide ever written) took more than a month to come out after the game was released, so I am pretty much in the dark as to what's going on with it despite Amazon stating the release is tomorrow. Like, maybe it theoretically means that it might "EXIST" tomorrow, but I can't see Amazon actually shipping it that early.

Sorry for the useless post, but I'll add that if the guide is anywhere near the quality of Future Press's other work, it'll be amazing and everyone should get it if they're serious about the game. I wouldn't have gotten anywhere on Demon's Souls without knowing stupid poo poo like the weapon I want can only be obtained if I beat the Dragon God on a certain world tendency and if I don't do these exact set of things at a certain time, I'm hosed if I ever want that weapon. Hence why I'm really wanting this guide in my hands around the same time the game releases.

Fizzil
Aug 24, 2005

There are five fucks at the edge of a cliff...

thanks for the advice but how do i upgrade my weapons? haven't found a blacksmith yet, i probably missed it, i'm probably getting destroyed because my weapons don't do much damage.

coRRale
Mar 22, 2005

Bloop
So when I preordered this game on amazon, I thought I paid it in full already, apparently that's not the case. Since I thought I already paid for it, I spent the rest of the money on a new computer. Now that I don't have any money I can't get this game anymore. Dark souls is kicking my rear end already.

Sumadartson
Nov 24, 2006

Jetpack Postman posted:

I've got a busy day today and not a lot of time, so I'll leave this Eurogamer review here and let it speak for itself. Compare to Demon's Souls' review, which also got 9/10. Reviews don't matter much, but it's nice to see this game getting a good reception.

That's actually quite a good review. Well written, clear arguments for positives and negatives. Fascinating.

Seymour Butts
Jun 26, 2003
I break girls in like baseball gloves
ugh, one more day!!!!!

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.
I hate all of you jerks who are playing the game already while I agonize like a preteen on Christmas eve.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001

Heavy neutrino posted:

I hate all of you jerks who are playing the game already while I agonize like a preteen on Christmas eve.

I'm loving the fact that I've flipped the script on all the Americans. Who's waiting now?! Hahahahaha... *sigh*

Fizzil posted:

thanks for the advice but how do i upgrade my weapons? haven't found a blacksmith yet, i probably missed it, i'm probably getting destroyed because my weapons don't do much damage.

There's a blacksmith outside the undead parish, out the side entrance and straight ahead.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Jetpack Postman posted:

Reviews don't matter much, but it's nice to see this game getting a good reception.

Reviews do matter, just not to your average gamer. Some publishers take poo poo like Metacritic seriously.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

Leyburn posted:

I'm loving the fact that I've flipped the script on all the Americans. Who's waiting now?! Hahahahaha... *sigh*

You'll rue the day Leyburn, RUE IT! :argh:

I only have to wait about 28 more hours, that's not that bad..

:smithicide:

Talran
Sep 11, 2005

Leyburn posted:

Boss related spoilers: The demon himself is fairly simple to handle once he is on his own. Try to dispatch the dogs first. The easiest way of doing this is to use the stairs to lure them up, they'll get there a lot quicker than the demon.

Requesting some advice about an area near the start: Has anyone bothered going down the skeleton filled path at the start? My character is about level 40 just now and I had been working my way through Sen's Fortress and getting the hang of it. Was thinking of switching things up and going to explore the skeleton area. Is it worth doing? I thought that would be the path to the second bell, but I found that via a completely different path.

Also looking for some forest area advice: There is also the gate in the forest that I can buy a crest to gain entry to, for a rather pricey 20000 souls. So far I've had no indication that I need to go there, but I'd be tempted to lay down the souls for the crest after I've got another few levels under my belt.

Thanks folks.

The Skeleton Area: Do eet! Grab a holy club and roll with it. Nothing too horribly amazing right now, but worth running through to the boss. Also, a smithy there(from my avatar actually)

Forest Area:Go for it, it opens up an area with a boss and the forest hunters. The hunters, if you aren't in a pact with them, are good soul farms. Boss note:It's like Repede from Tales of Vesperia, only giant, and silver.

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

Vintersorg posted:

Amazon Canada doesn't even have release day shipping, there is priority but that makes it $79 CDN. Lucky Americans. :3: I could just cancel and get it in a store but it'll be here by Friday probably, gives me most of the weekend to enter hell.

Well, you guys had a choice between healthcare for everyone or faster videogame shipping, and obviously you chose poorly.

Heavy neutrino posted:

I was having a "watching gamefly all morning as I waited and hoped that it would get shipped". Now that it has shipped, I will be cursing the postal service if I don't have my cheeto stained fingers on it before Thursday.

Underwhelmed fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Oct 3, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unknown_PC
Oct 9, 2002

What do you mean it's not done!?

Leyburn posted:

It opens up one of the best soul farming area in the game, it's well worth the cost.

There is also a hidden bonfire on the left side of the marked door if you attack the wall.

• Locked thread