Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

If you're not willing to lick the boot, then really why are you in politics lol? Everything is a cycle of just getting stomped on so why do you want to lose to it over and over, just submit like me, I'm very intelligent.

ClearAirTurbulence posted:

The karma and reputation systems are actually a bit more complicated in Fallout 2 than in Fallout: NV. Karma is more important, though it still takes second place to reputation. Certain activities like grave robbing and killing children can permanently effect the way some people think of you. Different towns each have their own separate reputation value for you, so slaughtering everybody in one town won't immediately make everybody hate you in the next, but word of your actions spreads - if you are hated in one town and the next one over still likes you, after a few days your reputation will start going down in the next town as people hear about your exploits. You can find yourself in the fun situation of having to outrun your reputation (and that gets a lot easier when you get a car).

Drugs are still powerful, but a lot more dangerous due to the lack of Fixer - I'm not sure if there's even a way to remove addictions, but if there is, it's not as easy. I had a mentat-addict who would start talking like a caveman if he didn't get his fix, first thing to do when I rolled into a new town was try and buy some mentats before people found out about how evil I was.

quote:

FO1 has much better story and atmosphere then FO2, but FO2 is bigger. FO1 is to FO2 as NV is to FO3, to some extent. Which isn't to say FO2 is a bad game. Get both, play the first then the second.

Well that makes me officially excited. I know where my next few months are going.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

FO2 was big and had tons to do, but you get really tired of the whole thing feeling like Wild Wasteland.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Does anyone have any idea why, when I am "Liked" by NCR, an NCR MP would suddenly go I SEE I FIND YOU ALONE OUTSIDE THE STRIP, YOULL PAY FOR DISRESPECTING THE NCR PREPARE TO DIE. No others attack me, it's just this one nut and I'm rather confused by it.

I mean yes I am planning on betraying the NCR but this has yet to happen!!

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

I think "Liked" is only one step above neutral, so there's that. Most likely explanation is "a bug" though.

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Cowcaster posted:

I think "Liked" is only one step above neutral, so there's that. Most likely explanation is "a bug" though.

It might be this. This happened to me with the powder gangers. But I used it as an opportunity to kill every last one in the prison. When life hands you lemons, use those lemons to murder people!

jvempire
May 10, 2009

Zorak posted:

Does anyone have any idea why, when I am "Liked" by NCR, an NCR MP would suddenly go I SEE I FIND YOU ALONE OUTSIDE THE STRIP, YOULL PAY FOR DISRESPECTING THE NCR PREPARE TO DIE. No others attack me, it's just this one nut and I'm rather confused by it.

I mean yes I am planning on betraying the NCR but this has yet to happen!!
Hahaha that happened to me when I was sleeping in the Embassy in the Strip. He wakes me up, says that line, and everyone opens fire on me. What I noticed was that I had the Kill Mr House for NCR quest on me, so I guessed that they really wanted me to do that quickly. Then, after the deed has been done the same guy from before (or well I had to load a save from before because I died from him), and he tells me "What are you looking at?" and walks away.

It has to be a glitch, because I'm going to assume the dudes only suppose to show up if NCR really hates you.

Grinning Goblin
Oct 11, 2004

Now he is reading that post and you are totally hosed.

Or it could just be a random bug if you had previously reloaded from a save where you did something to lose a significant amount NCR rep. Although I am pretty sure they fixed that bug a long time ago. If you have a previous save try restarting the game and going back to him. Another possibility is that he could be aligned with some other faction by accident and you will need to verify cache files via Steam to hopefully fix it. Also if you committed any crimes where someone saw you, anyone mind you, that could also be triggering him. Try to kill him with the console and resurrect him and see if that does anything.

J Bjelke-Postersen
Sep 16, 2007

I have a 6 point plan to stop the boats.....or turn them around or something....No wait what were those points again....Are there really 6?

Bash Ironfist posted:

It might be this. This happened to me with the powder gangers. But I used it as an opportunity to kill every last one in the prison. When life hands you lemons, use those lemons to murder people!

This is what happened to me with the Legion. I did a quest for House and it turned them angry without me noticing. I went to The Fort to collect ED-E and Cass (who I did not realise you could remotely send home) and the poo poo instantly hit the fan and I fought my way up to Caesar's tent while killing all comers, collecting my buddies (who were shooting dudes as I was coming up the hill, it was rad) then went inside and showered Caesar's house in grenades.

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax
I had the same thing happen to me with the NCR on the strip. It seems like some kind of glitch with the MPs near the Embassy.

Just finished that character yesterday and took the dam for NCR. Weeks ago I successfully did Arcade's quest and convinced the remnants to help the NCR, and I told Arcade to go help the Followers instead of coming to the battle. Imagine my surprise during the ending cinematic when it said:

quote:

Though Arcade's intentions were pure and his goals were noble, he ultimately succumbed to the harsh brutality of the Mojave like so many before him.

Apparently that is only supposed to play if Arcade was killed during the game, so I don't know what christ. Dumbass must have been killed on his way to the Mormon fort. I'll have to reload a save and see if I can find his corpse somewhere.

So, now I'm thinking of doing a Legion run-through. My NCR guy was a tank who used the Gobi rifle and the unique Marksman carbine, so I'd like to try something different this time. Walking around in pre-war clothes and melee sounds fun. I'll be just like Vulpes!

reagan fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Oct 3, 2011

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
Definitely a bug, definitely related to the embassy MPs. Happened to me multiple times.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

I just left the embassy and something exploded nearby and everybody there got real mad at me. Turns out I forgot I had put a pile of mines out in the road and just as I leave the door, this guy is walking straight towards them and steps on them after about 5-10 seconds. It took a couple tries, but I managed to jump out the door and shoot the mines before he steps on them. A random other guy died, but it seems they aren't as pissed at this outcome.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
The wiki page for the embassy says that the MP will act that way if you have Don't Tread on the Bear active, although in my case he was more interested in chasing me down and asking about Lily than threatening to kill me.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Yeah it was an Embassy MP. I was in a backroom when he rushed me, then Veronica punched his spleen out so it didn't really matter.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Carthag posted:

I just left the embassy and something exploded nearby and everybody there got real mad at me. Turns out I forgot I had put a pile of mines out in the road and just as I leave the door, this guy is walking straight towards them and steps on them after about 5-10 seconds. It took a couple tries, but I managed to jump out the door and shoot the mines before he steps on them. A random other guy died, but it seems they aren't as pissed at this outcome.

Why did you put a pile of mines in the road?

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Having just finished Honest Hearts, I've got to say that the Survivalist's subplot was easily the best part of that DLC.

Is there any reason that Three Mary's is full of trash? I'm wondering if I'm missing something subtle, or if it as simple as the White Legs like collecting junk.

Assumethisisreal
May 21, 2007

Node posted:

Having just finished Honest Hearts, I've got to say that the Survivalist's subplot was easily the best part of that DLC.

Is there any reason that Three Mary's is full of trash? I'm wondering if I'm missing something subtle, or if it as simple as the White Legs like collecting junk.

The explanation is something like this.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Gotta put 'em somewhere!

J Bjelke-Postersen
Sep 16, 2007

I have a 6 point plan to stop the boats.....or turn them around or something....No wait what were those points again....Are there really 6?

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Why wouldn't you put a pile of mines on the road?

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Just finished OWB. Pretty great all around. All your appliances cheering for you at the end was a nice touch :unsmith:

What level of survival is good for Honest Hearts?

CommanderCoffee
Feb 27, 2011

Ladies.

Mozi posted:

Just finished OWB. Pretty great all around. All your appliances cheering for you at the end was a nice touch :unsmith:

What level of survival is good for Honest Hearts?

At least 25 for the Datura Antivenom.

Lets Fuck Bro
Apr 14, 2009
How does Christine get her voice back in Dead Money?

CommanderCoffee
Feb 27, 2011

Ladies.

Lets gently caress Bro posted:

How does Christine get her voice back in Dead Money?

Basically, the Autodoc didn't remove her voice box. IT merely altered it until she had the 'same voice' as Vera, as per Elijah's plan. She was mute because she was recovering.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Boogaleeboo posted:

If you absolutely love a certain idea, but are stuck against the fact that certain weapons become unworkable later on, you can always get the Signature Weapons mod. It's unbalanced as poo poo if used on a powerful weapon, but if you use it on a straight razor you can legitimately have a dude that kills Deathclaws with one.

Does this mean I can do another Sledgehammer run like I did in Fallout 3? :razz:

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Node posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7OHG7tHrNM

The White Legs don't know how to make anything of their own, so they basically just scavenge and litter.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Business Gorillas posted:

Does this mean I can do another Sledgehammer run like I did in Fallout 3? :razz:

Oh yes. poo poo, I made a silenced .45 for my last character, and I have one-shotted Deathclaws charging at me.

Mikael Kreoss
Feb 13, 2011

by Fistgrrl
Bottomless, Lethal, Rapid, Big Boomer Red Glare.

With HE Ammo :911:

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Man, I can't wait to actually play through the DLC and finish the game. Work has been nuts... Will continue to be nuts, I'm sure. But I've managed to adjust my habits lately such that I've got some time cordoned off for just enjoying something for an hour or two a day. All I've really been able to do with New Vegas in particular since getting the new computer is load it up a few times and do a few things, mainly to :aaaaa: at how cool New Vegas on an SSD is. Transitions between cells are completely seamless, it now plays like you'd expect it to on modern hardware. Most games get some benefit loading from an SSD, but not much; still, I watch Newegg for deals on them and have found that direct comparisons show that games are I/O bound enough at loading, given modern hardware otherwise (Sandy Bridge is loving fast, basically), that they do enjoy if nothing else some benefits in loading time with an SSD.

Since I could never get large address aware stable on my installation, even though it's been fully migrated twice and still works fine without crashing otherwise, moving to the SSD turned it from being annoyingly noticeable when it was loading new stuff because of its pretty outdated engine to being super smooth at all times. I think HDD thrashing causes way more issues for this game than anything else at this point, if anyone has an SSD I can vouch that it'll migrate quite happily and the removal of noticeable I/O is a hell of an improvement.

My previous computer walked all over the recommended specifications, the new one is a hell of a lot faster than the old one, but definitely moving it to an SSD was the biggest improvement. Not necessary by any means, but a biiig jump in the seamlessness of everything compared to even a fast HDD. I think I'm about 65% through the main quest, I've got leveling slowed down substantially and I'm trying to see and do all that I can with a NCR run. Can't wait to dig into the DLC. Everything I've read about it seems to indicate this is really good usage of the idea of DLC. I am amazed my installation has remained stable through two migrations (one from the old to the new computer, then when I got a great deal on a second SSD, moving it all again to the SSD). Considering Gamebryo is not known for stability and Obsidian isn't either, I'm pleased by the fact that despite extraordinary circumstances I haven't had any crashing at all in many hours of gameplay. The many-saves mod feels more like convenience than necessity, which was not the case at all for Fallout 3. Cool.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I was encumbered and I didn't want to waste them. What was I supposed to do :confused:

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
Over 50 hours into this play-through and I only just figured out there is an option to change that drat "kill-cam" animation.

Commence public shaming.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Carthag posted:

I was encumbered and I didn't want to waste them. What was I supposed to do :confused:

Drop them without setting them?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Roobanguy posted:

Drop them without setting them?

But that's no fun. Next you'll be saying I shouldn't snipe people from my own faction. I mean, as long as nobody notices, it's all good in my opinion.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Latest thing to make me laugh out loud in this game (from a wiki comment about acquiring uniques) : when Little Buster is punching the target in the Camp McCarran yard, shoot the yellow truck.

Make sure you stand well back!

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
^^ haha yup

Cowcaster posted:

On my first playthrough of New Vegas I was as neutral as you can be throughout the entire game up until the very end. However for some reason all of the troops outside in the tents at Camp McCarran hated ED-E. They'd open fire on him on sight and he would fire back but wouldn't engage me or my other companion. Eventually just by way of stray shots and slowly being whittled down everyone in that camp was dead by the end of the game. Even Little Buster got blown to hell when the NCR accidentally blew up the truck he was standing next to.

v:v:v

J Bjelke-Postersen
Sep 16, 2007

I'm just putting C4 in people's homes and they're all "woah buddy I hope you're being careful there!"

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Yodzilla posted:

^^ haha yup

On my first playthrough of New Vegas I was as neutral as you can be throughout the entire game up until the very end. However for some reason all of the troops outside in the tents at Camp McCarran hated ED-E. They'd open fire on him on sight and he would fire back but wouldn't engage me or my other companion. Eventually just by way of stray shots and slowly being whittled down everyone in that camp was dead by the end of the game. Even Little Buster got blown to hell when the NCR accidentally blew up the truck he was standing next to.

v:v:v

I seem to recall that was due to a bug where if you had any food items stored in ED-E, the NPCs would see him as an animal and attempt to get at that delicious Robo-Meat.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Acebuckeye13 posted:

I seem to recall that was due to a bug where if you had any food items stored in ED-E, the NPCs would see him as an animal and attempt to get at that delicious Robo-Meat.

Those NCR farms must be loving terrible if they all scramble to attack a robot carrying some insta-mash.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Those NCR farms must be loving terrible if they all scramble to attack a robot carrying some insta-mash.

It is like some perverse reversal of the old SMASH advertisements from the seventies.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Acebuckeye13 posted:

This is the best thing.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Ripped my way through the Courier's Mile, wondering why the hell y'all were being such pussies. I was putting everything down with a few shots of my trusty point four-five gun.

:smug:

Then I rummaged through the options to increase the difficulty. It was on Very Easy.

:negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boneration
Jan 9, 2005

now that's performance

poptart_fairy posted:

Ripped my way through the Courier's Mile, wondering why the hell y'all were being such pussies. I was putting everything down with a few shots of my trusty point four-five gun.

:smug:

Then I rummaged through the options to increase the difficulty. It was on Very Easy.

:negative:

I am on Normal I think, and I got as far as the first nuke in the Courier's Mile. Then irradiated assholes killed the poo poo out of me. Can't get my rad res about 52% for some reason in there, everywhere else it's at 85% from suit and perks and Rad-X, so I don't last long sneaking either. What the hell am I doing wrong?