Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

I didn't know throwing eggs could make chickens spawn until about a week ago. I started a new world in 1.9 anticipation, herding animals into a pen near my house, and throwing any eggs I found in there. I took some screenshots of my little pen and was about to post a picture with the three pigs, single sheep and 30 chickens I had before this madness began.

Now I really, really want a harvest moon mod similar to the zelda adventure mod someone made. It would at least justify my insane animal hoarding actions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

I rolled a new hardcore map today in 1.92, for the first time. I died a few days in, and clicked the 'delete map' button (hardcore mode).

The map didn't delete, and I was able to resume playing. Is hardcore mode broken?

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
Sounds like it.

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

chippy posted:

Sounds like it.
Yeah? This happens to everyone?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

spaceship posted:

I rolled a new hardcore map today in 1.92, for the first time. I died a few days in, and clicked the 'delete map' button (hardcore mode).

The map didn't delete, and I was able to resume playing. Is hardcore mode broken?

It seems to work for me the correct way, I just tried it out. See in the options if the difficulty setting is locked to hardcore as it should be or if it's something else. Also, in HC mode the hearts have, uh, evil eyebrows on them??

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

spaceship posted:

Yeah? This happens to everyone?

I have no idea. I just mean that presuming you have a vanilla install of Minecraft and your account of what happened is correct, then there must be at the very least an intermittent bug with hardcore mode.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
So I'm watching the survival island playthrough Simon and Lewis did (I never watched it back when it came out).

Simon setting up the torches to spell "HELP" in LOWER CASE LETTERS was loving hilarious.

Zaekkor
May 12, 2010

Oh, let's break it down!

If I copy and save a region with worldedit on my smp 1.8.1 map, and then update my map to 1.9 then load the saved region..will that work?

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Just going to throw it out baselessly, but I hope enchantments are going to be like in Diablo (iron chestplate of the creeper, gold boots of the chicken, etc).

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Crosscontaminant posted:

This chicken stack stuff was just a lark to begin with, and I can't believe they're pigeon the idea of chicken wave-particle duality - it's an idea I just can't swallow.
Yeah, only a complete booby would go for that kind of thing.

Still, chicken :science: was pretty funny all the same.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Macaluso posted:

So I'm watching the survival island playthrough Simon and Lewis did (I never watched it back when it came out).

Simon setting up the torches to spell "HELP" in LOWER CASE LETTERS was loving hilarious.

I'm in the same boat as you. I only got into Minecraft a week or so ago, and I've started watching some of the huge backlog of youtube videos that have been created.
The only people I know who'd get the jokes have already seen these videos years ago. I'm worried I'll become that Grandma who forwards old jokes to everyone's email.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Mar 3, 2012

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

Obscurity posted:

If I copy and save a region with worldedit on my smp 1.8.1 map, and then update my map to 1.9 then load the saved region..will that work?

Fairly sure it will. Just make backups, I suppose.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

Obscurity posted:

Unless some block ids in your structure changed then you shouldn't have a problem.

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1

Schwarzwald posted:

I'm in the same boat as you. I only got into Minecraft a week or so ago, and I've started watching some of the huge backlog of youtube videos that have been created.
The only people I know who'd get the jokes have already scene these videos years ago. I'm worried I'll become that Grandma who forwards old jokes to everyone's email.

I still haven't gone through all the yog videos, there's just too much to do in minecraft :)

As a reminder tho, don't be grandma.
From the OP: Chances are if a video or picture isn't fresh off the presses, it has been linked here before. Don't link it!

Fazana
Mar 5, 2011

Dancing Elephant
Instructor

Crosscontaminant posted:

This chicken stack stuff was just a lark to begin with, and I can't believe they're pigeon the idea of chicken wave-particle duality - it's an idea I just can't swallow.

Some of their methods have the animal cruelty people spitting feathers as well.

Much more importantly, why haven't the Discovery Channel or SyFy offered these chaps a telly deal. I know I'd watch it. Have Beaker as a guest presenter/experimentee!

Fazana fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Oct 4, 2011

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

glug posted:

What the gently caress is wrong with all of you people. Do you even have a use for these chickenparts in vanilla, or is this just wholesale slaughter for the sake of building the biggest slaughterhouse?

You should all get your heads checked.

:colbert:

They're making viable scrap material for IndustrialCraft's matter maker, obviously. :colbert:

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Macaluso posted:

I went through all the Minecraft videos for a second time a couple of weeks ago and I'm still amused. What actually blew my mind a bit was Lewis saying something like "It starts of simple and then it becomes complicated" during one of the first videos. I don't know if the Israphel twist was planned at that stage, but that comment mirrored how the series progressed.

I know the humour is not in everyone's taste (God knows it has brought up enough derails in the past) but I still appreciate the technical side of the videos. The landscapes, buildings and locations are really well done and serve as a great scene of the two.

I'm sorry if this suddenly turned into gushing, but yeah v:shobon:v

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
I love me some Yogscast too but it's time to put the bullet in the SoI series and start a new series. It's getting a bit long winded.

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Homestuck is a true work of art surpassing all of Shakespeare's works.

Disappointing Pie posted:

I love me some Yogscast too but it's time to put the bullet in the SoI series and start a new series. It's getting a bit long winded.

You could just not watch it. It's not like that's the only thing they put out by a long shot.

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

aVo's videos are generally pretty funny, but Krysk has outdone himself for making new griefing tools this time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3IUONiBd5E

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Bellend Sebastian posted:

aVo's videos are generally pretty funny, but Krysk has outdone himself for making new griefing tools this time.

Once there were parking lots, now it's a peaceful oasis. :allears:

In other news, while devising a chicken torture chamber of my own, I accidentally discovered that blocks behave, well interestingly, inside of other blocks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWrnOi6T1rk

Chicken pieces (and other nonblocks) aren't nearly as fun, they just glitch into eachother and don't orbit.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

DoctorJones posted:

How does one make something like this? I really haven't messed with a chicken farm/factory before.
Getting started takes a bit of time, as you need a pretty large number of eggs to get things really going.

The design I posted is essentially a 1x2 pen with water in one block and a hole in the other. Chickens try to swim so while their eggs will be flushed out the hole, the chickens can't escape.

You want to make the pen out of a transparent material- fences or glass- so the chickens can breathe. Yeah. That's how Minecraft works.

I don't know exactly how tall the pen has to be, but it wouldn't hurt to make it pretty tall. You fill it simply by throwing eggs in the top.

If you're trying to do something silly and put the chickens in a tiny area like I did, you'll need another layer of glass (or fences) or the chickens will phase through the walls.

Less absurd farming methods are possible, including a simple fenced in area, but you need to make sure there are no exposed opaque block sides in the pen, or the chickens will very slowly take damage and die.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Eiba posted:

Getting started takes a bit of time, as you need a pretty large number of eggs to get things really going.

The design I posted is essentially a 1x2 pen with water in one block and a hole in the other. Chickens try to swim so while their eggs will be flushed out the hole, the chickens can't escape.

You want to make the pen out of a transparent material- fences or glass- so the chickens can breathe. Yeah. That's how Minecraft works.

I don't know exactly how tall the pen has to be, but it wouldn't hurt to make it pretty tall. You fill it simply by throwing eggs in the top.

If you're trying to do something silly and put the chickens in a tiny area like I did, you'll need another layer of glass (or fences) or the chickens will phase through the walls.

Less absurd farming methods are possible, including a simple fenced in area, but you need to make sure there are no exposed opaque block sides in the pen, or the chickens will very slowly take damage and die.

If you want to use a dispenser to fill your condensation chamber, it needs to shoot the egg two blocks or else the chicken gets stuck in the dispenser and quickly dies.

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician

Iacen posted:

I don't know if the Israphel twist was planned at that stage

I like to believe that they legit didn't know what was going on when the stuff like the Pyramid and that huge tree started coming up, and their friends didn't let the cat out of the bag until they got to Terrorvale. I know there's like a 99.99% chance that that's not the case, but it's a neat thought to entertain.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

They paved paradise and put up a nature reserve.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Okay not gonna lie, this is pretty funny. At first I thought it was dumb cause they were just destroying stuff, but when the trees came into play it became hilarious.

Disappointing Pie posted:

I disagree :mad:

In fact, I started with the series on the first Shadow of Israphel, and didn't watch the original videos + the survival island. Going back and watching the series start to form into what it is now was pretty great and made me want more SoI now.

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Oct 5, 2011

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Stupid question time: how long does it take trees to grow? I was under the impression that as long as it had sun, it'd grow on its own, but mine aren't doing anything.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Evil Mastermind posted:

Stupid question time: how long does it take trees to grow? I was under the impression that as long as it had sun, it'd grow on its own, but mine aren't doing anything.

It takes less than a second :haw:

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Evil Mastermind posted:

Bonemeal makes it instantaneous.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I'm on a limited-resources challenge/achievement map. I only have 3 bonemeal all told. :(

To be specific, it's this challenge map, which is awesome.

There's three sand blocks buried in there, plus a bedrock block to mark your spawn point.

You start with this:

It's really forcing me to learn Minecraft skills beyond "put block on top of other block". Right now my problem is getting more trees to grow on their own so I have enough wood to do stuff.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

That's god drat hilarious!

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

The highways and cars were sacrificed for agriculture. Thought that we'd start over, but I guess I was wrong!

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

I am so tired... I am so tired all the time...
Well, I tried to create a piggie-go-round powered by a quantum chicken oscillitron(read:fuckton of chickens in a 3x1 box with one pressure plate in the center). Sadly, it didn't work, because it lagged the server so much that minecarts stopped working.

Miijhal fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Oct 5, 2011

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

Awesome video, this is the correct way to do griefing.

I felt a little bad for the people who had their houses messed up at first but then once 'friend of the family friend of the family friend of the family lol heil hitler' started up I got over it real fast. :)

I'd love to see the aftermath and find out how much of it was repairable. Also, drat but I wish I could have a tree growing out of my couch.

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Well, I'm a ghost. I scare people. It's all very important, I assure you.

Eiba posted:

They're not jumping, they're being displaced by each other and phasing in and out of reality at various heights.

It's really a marvel to watch, as the chicken mass kind of pulses and dances. With a high enough chicken density they become a indistinguishable chaotic mass of chicken shaped static, with rapidly shifting beaks and eyes. It's mesmerizing, really.

Anyway, there's no drop in output at all. I've got way more eggs than I know what to do with, after filling one chest with feathers and another with cooked chicken meat. I've actually plugged up the output so the stack doesn't push out any more eggs that I don't need. The only other use I have for eggs is to increase the chicken mass level of the stack. Not to increase productivity, but just to see if I can.

512 chickens and counting. More or less. I can only measure their number by their egg output.

At this mass, however, I've found that the stack does leak low levels of chickens, so I think I've gone above the sustainable limit.

And I can't really convey in pictures what this really looks like, as none of the chickens exist in the same place for more than a single frame. Their location is utterly random and shifts every instant so the whole thing resembles TV static more than a collection of chickens.

Oh, and things like a watering hole and a tree? Those will kill your chickens. It won't be quick, but eventually they'll stick their head in the tree, or in the edge of your watering hole, and they'll suffocate just a bit... and eventually they'll die.

So really, encasing hundreds of chickens in a tiny space in a large glass cube is far more humane.

I stole this pretty much wholesale and you really do need to see it in motion to fully appreciate it, so:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_0FBjxQS6c

There's less than 150 chickens in there. I've since filled it with a ton more and it's starting to run too slowly to record.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Mr. Peepers posted:

I stole this pretty much wholesale and you really do need to see it in motion to fully appreciate it, so:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_0FBjxQS6c

There's less than 150 chickens in there. I've since filled it with a ton more and it's starting to run too slowly to record.
Oh wow, it actually looks quite different in multiplayer (I'm assuming you did that in single player), but that's utterly mesmerizing in its own way.

In multiplayer they tend to be displaced upward and so collectively shoot up in a kind of geyser... only without any sort of transitional frames so they just pop upward randomly all the time. Much more chaotic and less fluid than their behavior in that video.

I'd conduct more experiments myself on the different nature of the quantum chicken mass in single player and multi player... but the server I play on has been down for a while now... and I've got the sinking feeling that my chicken experiments may have taken their toll.

Xaiter
Dec 16, 2007

Everything is AWESOME!

Eiba posted:

Oh wow, it actually looks quite different in multiplayer (I'm assuming you did that in single player), but that's utterly mesmerizing in its own way.

In multiplayer they tend to be displaced upward and so collectively shoot up in a kind of geyser... only without any sort of transitional frames so they just pop upward randomly all the time. Much more chaotic and less fluid than their behavior in that video.

I'd conduct more experiments myself on the different nature of the quantum chicken mass in single player and multi player... but the server I play on has been down for a while now... and I've got the sinking feeling that my chicken experiments may have taken their toll.

We had the same issue on Hobo's once I exceeded 400 chickens in the tube. We needed to place a brick of TNT to kill them, but it took almost 15 minutes in the lag to do so. I got almost 6 stacks of raw chicken from that.

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Well, I'm a ghost. I scare people. It's all very important, I assure you.

Such cutting-edge science rarely comes cheap. :science:

And yeah, that was in SP.

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

Evil Mastermind posted:

I'm on a limited-resources challenge/achievement map. I only have 3 bonemeal all told. :(

To be specific, it's this challenge map, which is awesome.

There's three sand blocks buried in there, plus a bedrock block to mark your spawn point.

You start with this:

It's really forcing me to learn Minecraft skills beyond "put block on top of other block". Right now my problem is getting more trees to grow on their own so I have enough wood to do stuff.

poo poo yeah gonna do this poo poo now.Version 1.8, hardcore pro e1.1

Edit: mediafire is down, will do it later. LameNevermind

ThndrShk2k fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Oct 5, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician

Oh god some of the commentary in this one kills me. I usually mute it cause the griefing itself is what steals the show and the talking is almost painfully unfunny, but it's amazing in this one (mainly because half of it is them just cracking up :v:).

"How does he see it that fast?" "Because I've done it like 8 times!"