Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
I'm having the exact same problem. Talk about bullshit right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Patman
Oct 11, 2004

Amazon did me right and got my copy to me today. After work I had to drive my wife to the shoe store and now she's watching some Victorian show. It's almost over and then it will be time for monsters to kill me.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

I'm having the exact same problem. Talk about bullshit right?

Yeah, I don't even care about milking them for "we're sorry" credit or anything. I just literally want my $60 back in exchange for them keeping the game they were going to sell me, which isn't even in transit or anything. It hasn't shipped yet.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Zebrasectomy posted:

I'm wondering the same thing. The thief sounds cool but sounds kind of tough to play. Also, I really want to start with the pendant/key.
Warrior sounds like a good choice if you're undecided though. His shield supposedly is the best to start with and he's already pretty quick and could probably be groomed into anything later on short of magic users.

Honestly, just give it a shot, it shouldn't be too bad.

The tutorial is actually really easy (barring you don't try to square off with the boss the first time you see him). If you get through the tutorial level and still feel squishy, then when you first arrive in the main game area, hit that bonfire and level up your vitality and resilience. The first *main* area that you are going to get funneled to (up the ramp/cliffside behind where you start) will have enemies that drop some slightly more solid armor and a surprisingly good shield, and the vendor up there will sell chainmail that is squarely in the medium armor range to give you a spot more defense. If you don't care much for the dagger or whatever weapon thieves start with, you'll find some longswords/spears/maces/maybe a axe fairly early.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

HalfHazard posted:

Start running, and then tap the Circle Button (probably B button on the 360 controller). I haven't really found a use for it though aside from getting into the well in Firelink Shrine.
You need to jump from a rooftop to get into a hidden area with the light crossbow at the very beginning of the game too.

der juicen
Aug 11, 2005

Fuck haters
Well... I got one hit on the big boss demon you meet first at the undead town... :( I didn't think he could jump on the tower.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!
Oh my God gold pine resin I love you.

Is it cheating if I just hang out in the burgs and level up a bit? Every time I get to a certain point I always have enough souls that I go back to the bonfire, level again, rinse and repeat. I'm level 10 now and I am guessing I could get to 16 this way pretty easily.

If I go any further I get one shotted by two particular monsters that rape my soul.

Colonel Pancreas
Jun 17, 2004

Oh man, I'm finishing dinner and really excited. I never had a PS3, so that precluded me from enjoying Demon's Soul, but my disc in my system and my heart is ready.

Thinking Pyromancer and Master Key, and going to try and not stress over stat allocation. Does the starting gift really matter? In terms of equipment, am I better off focusing on STR or DEX individually, or going for both? I'm starting Pyromancer because fire is loving awesome, but I'm planning on going melee-heavy as a long-term goal.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Ugh, all my demons souls experience is out the window. I rolled a deprived and the club is tough as poo poo to use, so slow. Got a axe and than a sword too, but enemies are loving tough. I love it though and I am slowly getting my bearings back. I encountered the first fully armored enemy in the city and... promptly got my rear end handed me.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011

qbert posted:

Yeah, I don't even care about milking them for "we're sorry" credit or anything. I just literally want my $60 back in exchange for them keeping the game they were going to sell me, which isn't even in transit or anything. It hasn't shipped yet.

If I didn't get the game at a discount I would be pretty pissed right now, but whatever. As long as I get it by the time Europe does I'll be cool.

vvvvv Some guy on a stream was trying to get them to crash into walls behind him.

ThePhenomenalBaby fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Oct 5, 2011

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Anyone have any good ideas for fighting skeleton wheels in close quarters? I'm suddenly needing to do a lot of that and they are just murdering me.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy
UPS Truck has been driving around with my copy for the last 8 hours. I bet the UPS truck driver just went home and is playing my copy of Dark Souls right now. :(

Also the achievement for solving the glyphs on the website disappeared

fake edit: super sonic hearing and novice premonition skills revealed the UPS guy was trying to get to my doorstep as I was typing this post! THE REAL DARK SOULS BEGINS HERE

Dr.Cthulhu
Jan 19, 2005

Earache! Earache!
Cthulhu Fatigue!
I was a pro at Demon Souls but this game is kicking my rear end. AND I LOVE IT

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Utnayan posted:

Oh my God gold pine resin I love you.

Is it cheating if I just hang out in the burgs and level up a bit? Every time I get to a certain point I always have enough souls that I go back to the bonfire, level again, rinse and repeat. I'm level 10 now and I am guessing I could get to 16 this way pretty easily.

If I go any further I get one shotted by two particular monsters that rape my soul.

This is exactly what I plan on doing for a while. We are babies.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Hey, I'm sure this has been asked at some point in this 55-page long thread but I looked through the first few pages (where I thought someone else would've asked) and didn't see it answered: what do you get with the code the PREPARE TO DIE glyph website sent you?

Also, this caught me completely by surprise - I thought it was coming out closer to Halloween for some reason. Damnit, I can't make it to a game store until the weekend (although I can't make it to my PS3 until the weekend either, so it's probably a mixed blessing there).

J
Jun 10, 2001

Any bell gargoyle advice? I've been banging my head against these fuckers for a long time now - I just don't see how to get any more hits in once the second one comes down - one of them always is spraying fire or otherwise covering the second one. I can't land a hit without getting hit in return which usually leads to being killed even if I'm full health. I don't know what else to do at this point. I can survive just fine I just see no openings at all to get any damage in.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

Revitalized posted:

Also the achievement for solving the glyphs on the website disappeared
Not only that, the site's been updated a bit.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
The cape guys in Undead Parish are kicking my rear end... the spot where you're in a narrow hallway that opens on to a corridor, with a spear soldier on the right and a cape guy on the left is driving me nuts. I pull and kill the spear guy first, but then when I engage the cape guy a second one will show up out of nowhere and I get gang raped. Any tips for this?

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
I unlocked the forest section by buying the crest off of the blacksmith, and it's full of hostile NPCs that I can't target? What the gently caress is this bullshit. I can barely even get a chance to kill the little pussy caster at the entry because his ghostly buddy won't gently caress off.
Hmmm

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Man, nothin' like a really hard game to make you feel like a complete dipshit.

How the hell do I get to the Undead Church? :sigh: The only hint the guy near the campfire is giving me is 'up,' whereas the other route goes down, down, down. I know from Giant Bomb's Quick Look that 'down' is apparently 'death' here. But there's no god drat way 'up!'

There's a way that leads a ways up near the fat guy who eventually teaches you... something or another. There's the watery area near where your giant Lord of the Rings bird is chilling out. There are no doors! I found the treasure chests, but the only way out looked like it dropped into the graveyard, so I used one of the bones I found to warp back to the fire.

I'm sure the answer's obvious and I'm just not seeing it. Little help? :(

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

J posted:

Any bell gargoyle advice? I've been banging my head against these fuckers for a long time now - I just don't see how to get any more hits in once the second one comes down - one of them always is spraying fire or otherwise covering the second one. I can't land a hit without getting hit in return which usually leads to being killed even if I'm full health. I don't know what else to do at this point. I can survive just fine I just see no openings at all to get any damage in.

The second one seems a lot easier to kill if you can manage to get behind him and keep some distance from the first. As soon as he shows up I switch to him and take him out as fast as possible.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

If anyone is still having problems with horrible parasitic brain larvae, I looted an item off of one of the two-headed tree lizards in the forest area, that looks like a fuzzy acorn and says that it "removes a parasite from the body." I don't know if this is the solution to the problem or not since I haven't been afflicted with eggheaditis yet, but it's specific enough that it might be worth a shot.
Sorry if it's been brought up already, but the thread's exploded since I last read it and I haven't had time to check it all.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001

Cicadas! posted:

If anyone is still having problems with horrible parasitic brain larvae, I looted an item off of one of the two-headed tree lizards in the forest area, that looks like a fuzzy acorn and says that it "removes a parasite from the body." I don't know if this is the solution to the problem or not since I haven't been afflicted with eggheaditis yet, but it's specific enough that it might be worth a shot.
Sorry if it's been brought up already, but the thread's exploded since I last read it and I haven't had time to check it all.

That's great, since I just unlocked that area and would quite like to get that poo poo removed.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
So, now that I've got a few hours under my belt, I can tell you the exact moment I that knew I will spend 100+ hours on this game. My character is a bandit, Right after hitting the fireside shrine I go the wrong way and walk into the skeleton graveyard and I start picking fights with the locals. My bandit battle axe at this point stuns the everloving poo poo out of them even though I'm not doing much damage, when all at once one of them riposted me, counter attacked and killed me instantly. Really love that these enemies don't gently caress around like some of the demons souls enemies did.

ireladd
Apr 17, 2007

ChibiSoma posted:

Man, nothin' like a really hard game to make you feel like a complete dipshit.

How the hell do I get to the Undead Church? :sigh: The only hint the guy near the campfire is giving me is 'up,' whereas the other route goes down, down, down. I know from Giant Bomb's Quick Look that 'down' is apparently 'death' here. But there's no god drat way 'up!'

There's a way that leads a ways up near the fat guy who eventually teaches you... something or another. There's the watery area near where your giant Lord of the Rings bird is chilling out. There are no doors! I found the treasure chests, but the only way out looked like it dropped into the graveyard, so I used one of the bones I found to warp back to the fire.

I'm sure the answer's obvious and I'm just not seeing it. Little help? :(

From the Firelink head rightish and you should see a stairwell that goes up along the side of the cliff.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011

ChibiSoma posted:

this game is gonna murder you
There is a stone staircase that goes up the cliff face in Firelink Shrine...go for that.

InnercityGriot
Dec 31, 2008
Blightown AKA Fuckthisareaville question: Where the hell am I supposed to go once I get to the swamp at the bottom? I rang the bell at the top of the church, now I'm going south and it feels like I'm missing a bonfire in between the swamp area at the bottom with the flies and poo poo, and the bridged areas above with the enemies that try to bite you and the fat guys.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Oh son of a bitch, how did I not see that?

Actually been having a blast so far, for all the good that means this early. Combat's fun (playing Warrior, seemed the way to go despite the slow rolling) and I'm digging the world. Just... really bad at seeing the blatantly obvious path ahead. :blush:

Aloofa
Apr 24, 2010

Daveski posted:

The cape guys in Undead Parish are kicking my rear end... the spot where you're in a narrow hallway that opens on to a corridor, with a spear soldier on the right and a cape guy on the left is driving me nuts. I pull and kill the spear guy first, but then when I engage the cape guy a second one will show up out of nowhere and I get gang raped. Any tips for this?

That dragons tail sword one shots them. Also you could buy a spear from that vendor.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
So have any of you newbie people hit any vagrants yet? I know I've been dropping items that I have more than 2 of. :buddy:

Unfortunately, nobody has done the same for me :smith:

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!

Kilometers Davis posted:

This is exactly what I plan on doing for a while. We are babies.

Haha good I'm not the only one.

Professor Latency
Mar 30, 2011

I'm pretty much done with the Burg/Parish right now and started as a Hunter because why the hell not. Well now I'm sort of playing pretty much like a knight would, are there any sets of armor laying around here? This leather armor has got to go.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

DeathSandwich posted:

So have any of you newbie people hit any vagrants yet? I know I've been dropping items that I have more than 2 of. :buddy:

Unfortunately, nobody has done the same for me :smith:

High five, item-dropping buddy.
None yet, but I wouldn't even know what to look for. Do we even know what they look like yet?

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

I killed the merchant in the undead burg.

Is there any way to get more arrows now without ringing the first bell?

bobby2times
Jan 9, 2010
I'm confused on hoe to kick/jump attack. Do I click left stick and rb/rt at the same time?

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

bobby2times posted:

I'm confused on hoe to kick/jump attack. Do I click left stick and rb/rt at the same time?

Move forward on the stick and the trigger/bumper. I constantly accidentally do a kick when trying to attack out of a block.

Agnostic watermelon
Jul 1, 2009

I'm a lil' Brony!
I tried chatting about my order on amazon but the guy just gave me a copy-paste about release date delivery and told me he doesn't know if my order shipped or not :smith:

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

bobby2times posted:

Hit the combo at the same time to do the move.

So WTF, I put in my CE code to download the digital extras and they downloaded corrupted. I got back to the site to re-download them, and it says I've already downloaded them. :argh:

Chaos341
Aug 13, 2010
I killed the armored boar but I didn't get its head for a helmet. Do you have to kill it a certain way to get it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Oh god I miss the nexus so much, gently caress this retarded bonfire poo poo. :negative:

Also is there a stockpile thomas equivalent somewhere?

• Locked thread