Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

the history of all dead generations,
Phew, I just beat the Bell Gargoyles at the top of the Undead Church and rangthe bell, it only took an hour and a half! I even managed to cut off the gargoyles tail and get the special weapon, which is also far worse than the +4 Battle Axe I used to kill the gargoyles so welp.

Also to note if anyone stuck at the church boss hears the bell ring that means someone else just beat the boss and rang the bell, during the entire time I was stuck in that area I only heard the bell ring twice.

Also don't consume the Firekeeper's Soul it apparently doesn't actually do what it says unless you give it to some NPC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

Oh god, what gift do I take? So many decisions.

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.

Krinkle posted:

the guy shooting at me made me miss the ups and downs in that side, thank you.

Side note: why can't I double up on heal since I have attunement slots? do I have to buy a second heal?

Yeah, you need as many copies of the spell as you want to equip.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Ratios and Tendency posted:

The posts from people loving up their game because they couldn't help but murder their traders and helpful npcs are hilarious, keep them coming.

Aww is this true? The very first user message I got after the tutorial was "be wary attacking this guy" so of course I've been murdering every NPC I come across since. On a scale of screwed to screwed^10 how screwed am I?

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

How do I leave messages?

Also, how does the game filter what messages I see? Can messages just not be placed close to each other? I assume I'm not seeing every message left since areas would be completely covered in them

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

kater posted:

Aww is this true? The very first user message I got after the tutorial was "be wary attacking this guy" so of course I've been murdering every NPC I come across since. On a scale of screwed to screwed^10 how screwed am I?
Well, they don't respawn so if you want to actually talk to any of those guys again then yeah, you're pretty screwed.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!
This is the first time in a long time that when I beat a boss or make it to another bonfire, I am elated. Aside from a few frame rate hitches, fantastic game. Too bad I have to go to bed. With that said, I suck. I am about four hours played and entering undead parish

I have died roughly 56 times easy.

StringOfLetters
Apr 2, 2007
What?

kater posted:

About a 3. Most of those assholes, you can easily do without. Just don't kill the blacksmith (very obviously hammering a thing on an anvil) or you'll be screwed a lot further.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Is there any way to not get stun locked by enemies with big gently caress-off axes other than heavy armor? Does being more than 25% encumbered, and therefore having the lovely roll, have anything to do with it?

That's like 90% of my deaths...one guy whacks me, I'm stun-locked, other guy whacks me, repeat ad naseum.

DrBouvenstein fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Oct 5, 2011

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Comrade Flynn posted:

Gift choices:

Master key: Mild sequence breaking, it's reuseable, you can eventually find keys that open all of its doors
Pendant: A little more plot
Black firebombs: If you want to kill the tutorial boss to get his hammer
Nothing: :black101:

All of the other gifts are either consumables or found in the regular course of the game. If you want you can pick a Thief and choose Pendant and then you get the Mastery Key and the Pendant.

DrBouvenstein posted:

Is there any way to not get stun lucked by enemies with big gently caress-off axes other than heavy armor? Does being more than 25% encumbered, and therefore having the lovely roll, have anything to do with it?

That's like 90% of my deaths...one guy whacks me, I'm stun-locked, other guy whacks me, repeat ad naseum.

Try not getting hit by the first guy?

Dark Souls already offered you heavy armor as a solution to that. Don't want heavy armor? I don't think Dark Souls is going to bend over backward to accommodate you for some reason.

raton fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Oct 5, 2011

invalid
Aug 1, 2005

by I Ozma Myself

Comrade Flynn posted:

What if you took nothing like I did?

I DON'T NEED YOUR HANDOUT!

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
Christ, I'm barely able to make any headway into the Undead Burg. I really want to enjoy this, but it's difficult in ways that don't make sense to me—I don't understand the whole rhythm to battle, and my attempts to play defensively are getting me killed more than haphazard flailing. And now I'm out of arrows so my next attempt is only going to be harder.

But Not Tonight
May 22, 2006

I could show you around the sights.

So I finally figured out where I'm going, sort of, but I don't know what's going on with my Estus flask. When I was resting and reviving at the Firelink shrine, it'd give me 10 charges, but as soon as I got to the Undead Burg it dropped be down to 5. What gives?

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

But Not Tonight posted:

So I finally figured out where I'm going, sort of, but I don't know what's going on with my Estus flask. When I was resting and reviving at the Firelink shrine, it'd give me 10 charges, but as soon as I got to the Undead Burg it dropped be down to 5. What gives?

You can use humanity to kindle a bonfire so it always gives you 10 flasks. The one in Firelink starts off kindled.

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

I accidentally attacked a friendly NPC! Is there anyway I can get him to calm down and stop attacking me?

Professor Latency
Mar 30, 2011

I really hope you get jack poo poo for choosing nothing. It'd just be perfect. "Hey rear end in a top hat you're the one who didn't pick a gift. What, do you expect some sort of reward for how :black101: you are?"

Systems_Id
Feb 16, 2005

LEFT CHEEK! LEFT CHEEK! LEFT CHEEK!
The Asylum Demon totally didn't wreck my face the first time I saw him.

Dumbed down game confirmed.:colbert:

But Not Tonight
May 22, 2006

I could show you around the sights.

Phoix posted:

You can use humanity to kindle a bonfire so it always gives you 10 flasks. The one in Firelink starts off kindled.

Oh, gotcha. It takes two humanity to kindle a fire, one to reverse hollowing and one to kindle, correct? And they stay kindled indefinitely once started?

rizuhbull
Mar 30, 2011

Systems_Id posted:

Is dis guy serious? I think he's trollin'.

invalid
Aug 1, 2005

by I Ozma Myself

Professor Latency posted:

I really hope you get jack poo poo for choosing nothing. It'd just be perfect. "Hey rear end in a top hat you're the one who didn't pick a gift. What, do you expect some sort of reward for how :black101: you are?"

But I am an rear end in a top hat :(

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
So is there any purpose to (early/mid)Darkroot garden the first time through other than to get the key past Moonlight butterfly? All I got was the watchtower basement key that I already got and a divine ember. Hurray backtracking.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

But Not Tonight posted:

Oh, gotcha. It takes two humanity to kindle a fire, one to reverse hollowing and one to kindle, correct? And they stay kindled indefinitely once started?

They stay kindled indefinitely, yeah. I'm not sure if you have to reverse hollowing first because I've always happened to have already done it before trying to kindle.

Morbleu
Jun 13, 2006
Is it worth trying to kill havel in the Burg? I'm level 15 right now.

Unknown_PC
Oct 9, 2002

What do you mean it's not done!?

Partial Octopus posted:

I accidentally attacked a friendly NPC! Is there anyway I can get him to calm down and stop attacking me?

There is a NPC in the belltower after you ring the bell that can make you friendly with hostile NPCs.

Professor Latency
Mar 30, 2011

Phoix posted:

They stay kindled indefinitely, yeah. I'm not sure if you have to reverse hollowing first because I've always happened to have already done it before trying to kindle.

Yeah you do. It just says "You can't kindle while hallowed."

Systems_Id
Feb 16, 2005

LEFT CHEEK! LEFT CHEEK! LEFT CHEEK!

rizuhbull posted:

Is dis guy serious? I think he's trollin'.
No I'm not serious.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Has anyone tried to kill the dragon by shooting arrows at it's tail? Is this feasible/how many arrows would it take?

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Is this bug happening for anyone else? Switching between R1 and L1 in too quick of a fashion occasionally messes up the next application of L1. Meaning, I'll hold L1 intending to raise my shield, but instead it interprets this as R1 (light attack.) This often results in me dying/losing a LOT of health.

I just opened up and cleaned my controller a couple of weeks ago, so I'm not sure if it's a byproduct of me messing up my controller or not.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Has anyone tried to kill the dragon by shooting arrows at it's tail? Is this feasible/how many arrows would it take?
If Demon's Souls is something to go on you shouldn't be surprised if it's like 300+

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
So from what I've gathered so far I THINK you can't do anything on-line unless you have gold. In that case, how much will I miss playing off-line? I know the player messages are the main thing I'm looking forward to. Is off-line still worth playing? I imagine yes, but want to be sure before I buy.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Nigulus Rex posted:

Is it worth trying to kill havel in the Burg? I'm level 15 right now.

He drops a ring that increases your max equip burden. He took me a while to kill but it was pretty easy because he's so loving slow. Just strafe around with your shield up till he attacks then get behind and backstab him. Rinse and repeat until he's dead.

Red Mundus posted:

So from what I've gathered so far I THINK you can't do anything on-line unless you have gold. In that case, how much will I miss playing off-line? I know the player messages are the main thing I'm looking forward to. Is off-line still worth playing? I imagine yes, but want to be sure before I buy.

I'd say it's still worth playing, but you'll be missing out on some fun stuff. The messages and bloodstains are nice, but all the pvp stuff with covenants sounds awesome and it's always nice to have the option of summoning a friendly phantom if you need help for a boss.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Systems_Id posted:

I spent about ten minutes punching him in the rear end before I saw that open door and left. I'm thinking of trying to kill him that way tomorrow.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

You can't kill it that way, because eventually the tail will cut off, and to continue fighting the dragon you'll have to do it the manly way. On the plus side, you do get a badass sword when the tail comes off.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Not *that* many in the big scope of things, I think I used 75, just shoot one arrow, wait for him to settle down again, then fire another one. Took about 4-5 minutes.

*edit* The tail that is, not the dragon proper.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Funkmaster General posted:

You can't kill it that way, because eventually the tail will cut off, and to continue fighting the dragon you'll have to do it the manly way. On the plus side, you do get a badass sword when the tail comes off.

It is pretty much the best sword of its kind in the game that's been discovered so far, high stat requirements but its damage is absurd.

hamburgers in pockets
Jun 18, 2005

Yeah, that's blood. It'll get better before the show.
Okay, I've got an incredibly retarded question about the bridge right before Dead Parish.

How do you manually aim with a crossbow? I'm trying to attack the dragon's tail but there's nothing I can find anywhere that says how to just aim at something. :(

ButterChugger
Oct 12, 2007

hamburgers in pockets posted:

Okay, I've got an incredibly retarded question about the bridge right before Dead Parish.

How do you manually aim with a crossbow? I'm trying to attack the dragon's tail but there's nothing I can find anywhere that says how to just aim at something. :(

hold it with both hands and hit L1/left bumper

Zeratanis
Jun 16, 2009

That's kind of a weird thought isn't it?
So I beat the Gaping Dragon(holy crap that goop it spits!) and am level 30 now. I felt so stupid, realizing that I didn't NEED to go down the hallway with all the loving frogs...all that was there was a humanity and a ring...though the ring is quite nice I should say.

But being soul level 30 I gotta ask(spoilers for hidden area): Am I too low to take on the second-go Asylum? I found the boss on accident and he one shots me immediately after taking a lot of falling damage :gonk: I thought I was smart one time getting behind him but he blasted the room!

This game is too good. I haven't had this much fun in a video game in years! Even if its a bit frustrating at times.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

hamburgers in pockets posted:

Press L1 when your bow is drawn (holding R1).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"
So I played a straightforward knight / heavy armor / two-handed weapon brute in Demon Souls and I figured hey, I'll try the other side of the spectrum this time, and started with a thief. I am a terrible, terrible thief--I am just awful at rolling out of the way of attacks, getting back-stabs in, etc.; does anyone have some major advice for this play-style or am I better off just restarted knight-style and going with what I know--being a tanky dickhead brute-forcing past horrible monsters?

• Locked thread