Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Darth Windu posted:

I don't think bonfires stay kindled forever, or rather it doesn't affect other people's games forever. I got some free kindles on some of my bonfires, and they faded soon after.
The extra flask is a one time thing, when someone kindles the last bonfire you camped at.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Nigulus Rex posted:

Would you guys recommend strength or dex for a melee character? I'm not wearing heavy armor (though I'm sure I will eventually when I buy it). But I'm at the point where I'm comfortable with my other stats and would like to focus on dex or str, but I'm not really sure what gear requirements there will be later.

Do you want to use fast weapons or big weapons?

There you go.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

Rollersnake posted:

Is killing the first merchant easy to do accidentally? If I accidentally kill the first merchant, will I even know that I've done it? :psyduck:

I mean, I don't think I've even reached that point, but I need all the help I can get, and I've already restarted once, so I really don't want to screw this up.

I did it on purpose (and am restarting over it 6 hours later), but I don't think you could accidentally kill him. You can accidentally attack him if you are not paying any attention whatsoever, but he puts up a fair fight. Of course, if you do attack him and don't kill him it'll cost an insane amount of souls to get him to sell to you again anyway.

He's easy to pass up, but once you find him I don't think you'll likely miss him. Just note that there's nothing in the barrels around him, and don't try to smash those, and you won't attack him.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

I'm spoiling the game for myself and looking at all of the bosses and..holy loving poo poo. :stare:

Demon Souls bosses were pieces of poo poo compared to these. Some of the late bosses are outright loving terrifying.

Gary Dupre
Aug 11, 2008

75PUP/37DNK

Agnostic watermelon posted:

Reading the 360 board on gamefaqs is great

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/608635-dark-souls/60532038?page=1

The OP got mad at the game beacuse he killed a merchant.

[e]

:words:

It's Demons Souls all over again :allears:

Did these people ever play anything before Playstation games? :stare:

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
First time playing any of the Souls games and I'm getting ruined. Hint to newbies. Don't start as a thief.

Gonna try as a knight maybe and come back to the thief when I know what I'm doing.

der juicen
Aug 11, 2005

Fuck haters
i might have more luck two handing with armor :downs:

Chaos341
Aug 13, 2010
I am now consistantly getting my rear end kicked by the Gaping Dragon is there a bonfire I am missing in the sewers?

Professor Latency
Mar 30, 2011

Rough Lobster posted:

First time playing any of the Souls games and I'm getting ruined. Hint to newbies. Don't start as a thief.

Gonna try as a knight maybe and come back to the thief when I know what I'm doing.

Knight is an excellent choice to get accustomed to the combat. And plus once you understand what's going on then you can start over and go through the beginning segments much faster and easier.

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

I know people said it's cheap, but holy poo poo dive bombing the Taurus Demon with a battle axe is perhaps the most satisfying moment ever. I wish I could use the same technique on the Tower Knight or Adjudicator in Demon's Souls now...:allears:

Dr.Cthulhu
Jan 19, 2005

Earache! Earache!
Cthulhu Fatigue!

Crowbear posted:

Yeah pretty much. I think it started out at 650-ish souls for my first level, and it's up to about 2000 now a few hours later.

Nigulus Rex posted:

This took me a while to sink into my brain, but each stat point you increase "is" a level up. Let's say you're level 10. It takes x souls to increase your strength from 10-11. So you purchase it. You're now level 11. I hope that makes sense.

Thanks dudes, this should go in to OP aswell.

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

Systems_Id posted:

*Enters fog and sees the Asylum Demon staring down below*

Me: "Oh hey look, it's you! Can't get me from up here can you?!"

*Asylum Demon proceeds to leap up and shatter the tiny platform I was standing on thus killing me*

Me: :stare:

Just saw this happen on Victrix's stream, I saw it coming, but it was great to watch and his reaction was great.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

if I crack open a humanity will anyone come help me with bell tower? I've been sitting outside the fog with my sign up for half an hour and no takers!

Gary Dupre
Aug 11, 2008

75PUP/37DNK

Krinkle posted:

if I crack open a humanity will anyone come help me with bell tower? I've been sitting outside the fog with my sign up for half an hour and no takers!

If you're on 360, you may see my white sign outside the bell tower, tag is Scorpius if you see it. Been sitting here hoping someone might summon me.

Edit: Random question, if you place a summon sign, does it use your gamertag or character name? If it goes by character, I'll come up as Cebaron then.

Reive
May 21, 2009

So I just rang the first bell and Met a guy who was selling items that apparently counter attack invaders?! It says if you're invaded and killed you can indict them and they'll face the Swords of the Darkmoon any idea what that actually means will happen?

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

I started as a Pyromancer and magic is...not at all as easy as it was in Demon's Souls. Christ. Any starter hints?

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...

Rough Lobster posted:

Yeah, that might not be a bad idea. I'm playing as thief in my run now, but you definitely need to rely on dodge rolls and running around people to do lots of damage. Armor might be more forgiving in the beginning.

The only thing that really sucks about the thief is your dagger is piss poor against any monster with lots of HP :ohdear:

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

Gary Dupre posted:

If you're on 360, you may see my white sign outside the bell tower, tag is Scorpius if you see it. Been sitting here hoping someone might summon me.

nope, sorry. Good luck getting picked though. I summoned the NPC but nobody else was around when I was in human form either

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!

Hatter106 posted:

Where's the first bonfire in the Undead Parish? Is it past the caped, rapier-wielding knight?

The Undead Parish bonfire is past several of those Knights, as well as their longsword wielding cousins. If you're talking about the FIRST rapier wielding caped hollow knight, what's behind him is a mediocre shield and a dead end. There is a closed hallway that leads to a balcony-style path that puts you in a pincer with a spearman and a longsword caped knight. If you just poke your nose out and head back in, you can lure the spearman in alone, kill him, then go engage the knight solo.

After you kill the knight, just run STRAIGHT past him, across the rickety bridge to four more Hollow soldiers. Kill them, take the path that runs through the trees and follow the sounds of hammering; you'll come across the Bonfire and your first smithy.

EDIT:

Goddamn this game is awesome, but brutal. I started off as a Knight and took the Pendant. I'm not terribly far in, but so far I've killed the Taurus demon, claimed his axe, made my way through to the Bonfire by the blacksmith and poked some knight wielding a six foot mace to death. Then I set myself down to get summoned and a lag storm got me killed by those naked dudes with the broken swords. The ones by the priest lookin' guy.

I'm slowly getting the hang of it; Parry/riposting is getting easier and dudes that were beating me senseless are going down like chumps. I also ran into my first black phantom!

Turns out I suck at PvP.

i am tim! fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Oct 5, 2011

empathe
Nov 9, 2003

>:|
Ok - where do I go now?

I'm in the Undead Burg and I've cleared out the bottom floor of the church, but heading upstairs results in death. I've rested at the bonfire in the three level tower with the blacksmith that leads to the forest. Can't defeat that boss there but have run by him only to hit a door that I cannot open.

What should I be doing next? I'm SL17, longsword+2, decent shield, good mobility.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Reive posted:

So I just rang the first bell and Met a guy who was selling items that apparently counter attack invaders?! It says if you're invaded and killed you can indict them and they'll face the Swords of the Darkmoon any idea what that actually means will happen?

Sounds like it adds their name to the Book of the Guilty. The Darkmoon covenant sends its members to hunt down people whose names are in the book

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Reive posted:

Uh he explained the whole deal to you already. Someone invades you and pisses you off. You can then write his name in there and a group of players in the Darkmoon covenant will then start invading him willy-nilly, most of them won't do as well against them as this guy, though.

Professor Latency
Mar 30, 2011

empathe posted:

Ok - where do I go now?

I'm in the Undead Burg and I've cleared out the bottom floor of the church, but heading upstairs results in death. I've rested at the bonfire in the three level tower with the blacksmith that leads to the forest. Can't defeat that boss there but have run by him only to hit a door that I cannot open.

What should I be doing next? I'm SL17, longsword+2, decent shield, good mobility.

Go upstairs. And for Christ sake get the drake sword.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Reading the Destructoid review of this game is weird. He goes on for half the review mostly praising the game, but goes into a bunch of 'game breaking issues', which are either design choices or technical limitations for the most part (The attack lag, I actually experienced more than I would have liked). Then he gives it a 7 out of 10, but it is better than Demon's Souls.

It is like they wanted Jim Sterling to review it, any bury it for hits, but he couldn't be bothered, so they got another guy who is really trying to imitate him. That, or they are taking a page from the Game Informer review of Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door, and grading on appeal :psyduck:

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Oct 5, 2011

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

empathe posted:

Ok - where do I go now?

You need to clear the church. I assume the caster fellow and his zombie horde are killing you?

If so then press on, he's not that hard. He's pretty fragile, so I managed to just get up in his face and kill him fast, then dealt with his friends afterward.

empathe
Nov 9, 2003

Professor Latency posted:

Go upstairs. And for Christ sake get the drake sword.

Where do I get that?!

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

empathe posted:

Where do I get that?!

Get yourself a bow and a shitload of arrows (I'd recommend 100ish to be safe), then head under the bridge where the dragon is, and you can stand on the right side and snipe his tail till it falls off. That'll net you the sword.

empathe
Nov 9, 2003

Crowbear posted:

Get yourself a bow and a shitload of arrows (I'd recommend 100ish to be safe), then head under the bridge where the dragon is, and you can stand on the right side and snipe his tail till it falls off. That'll net you the sword.

Doin dis.

Do I have to move/hide after I hit it each time?

empathe fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Oct 5, 2011

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Who can upgrade Pyromancer catalysts? Barring that, where can I find one that isn't the starting "Pyromancy Flame"? Finding out that the starting catalyst doesn't scale damage with your intelligence stat was a bummer.

Reive
May 21, 2009

What is that little yellow light that appears behind my head now and then?
It reminded me of the message being upvoted thing from demon's souls but I checked my messages and they're still at 0. My humanity didn't go up, and I haven't been invaded so i don't have a clue what it is.
EDIT: Okay my Estus has gone up, but why?

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

if I sit here outside belltower, alive, waiting for someone to summon will any appaer? or do I need that assistance ritual?

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic
Just got done playing, and my god I love this game. I just beat the Gargoyles and decided to take on that Dark Knight in the little underpass in the burg. Got a badass sword from him and a ring that increases my defense when I'm close to death

I also got a Demon's hammer when I killed the Taurus Demon. Dunno how, I beat his rear end pure melee without jumping on him. This weapon is massive, yet weaker than the dark knight sword, which has damage of 205(?) I believe.

PirateNipple
Apr 5, 2004

Reive posted:

What is that little yellow light that appears behind my head now and then?
It reminded me of the message being upvoted thing from demon's souls but I checked my messages and they're still at 0. My humanity didn't go up, and I haven't been invaded so i don't have a clue what it is.
EDIT: Okay my Estus has gone up, but why?
Someone "nearby" kindled a bonfire, it hands out flasks to other people.

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.

Jimbot posted:

Who can upgrade Pyromancer catalysts? Barring that, where can I find one that isn't the starting "Pyromancy Flame"? Finding out that the starting catalyst doesn't scale damage with your intelligence stat was a bummer.

You need to find the Pyromancer NPC and he will upgrade your Pyromancy Flame. He is near the second butcher in the Depths area past the locked door that you need the key from the Capra Demon to open.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
I've been flipping through the strategy guide, and certain items in the game are listed as only attainable via "Ascension". Can someone explain to me what that is?

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
Is it worth dabbling in magic as a non-mage ever, or should I not bother unless I'm trying for a mage or mage knight build?

Reive
May 21, 2009

PirateNipple posted:

Someone "nearby" kindled a bonfire, it hands out flasks to other people.

This game! :allears:

Vulcan
Mar 24, 2005
Motobike

Dre2Dee2 posted:

Yeah, that might not be a bad idea. I'm playing as thief in my run now, but you definitely need to rely on dodge rolls and running around people to do lots of damage. Armor might be more forgiving in the beginning.

The only thing that really sucks about the thief is your dagger is piss poor against any monster with lots of HP :ohdear:

Is the thief a bad choice when it comes to PvP? I had envisioned back stabbing people and reaping the easy souls but something tells me if you're having a hard time rolling behind NPC's an actual player isnt going to wait around for you to get behind them and it will end up in more lost invasions than other classes.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Where is the woman who sells the flask upgrades in Darktown?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.

qbert posted:

I've been flipping through the strategy guide, and certain items in the game are listed as only attainable via "Ascension". Can someone explain to me what that is?

It's something you do with Blacksmiths. It's essentially just picking an upgrade path for your weapon. For example after you take a weapon to +5, you can keep it on the normal upgrade path or "ascend" it to the fire upgrade path.

• Locked thread