Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Vulcan posted:

Is the thief a bad choice when it comes to PvP? I had envisioned back stabbing people and reaping the easy souls but something tells me if you're having a hard time rolling behind NPC's an actual player isnt going to wait around for you to get behind them and it will end up in more lost invasions than other classes.

By the time you get to PvP your starting character won't make two shits of difference. Any character can be leveled up in any way at any time. The starting characters are just "how am I going to get through the first three hours of the game" basically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bitch Twinkles
Nov 5, 2007

HAVE COURAGE PLAY ST MODE
Capra demon isn't even that hard, it's the two dogs. Dogs can also be one shotted with the initial pyromancer spell. Gonna see if the drake sword makes a difference

Captain Morose
Jun 20, 2005

Phoix posted:

They stay kindled indefinitely, yeah. I'm not sure if you have to reverse hollowing first because I've always happened to have already done it before trying to kindle.

Can you kindle each fire more than once to get more additional flasks? Like, 10, 15, 20... adding five with each humanity? Is there a cap?

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Captain Morose posted:

Can you kindle each fire more than once to get more additional flasks? Like, 10, 15, 20... adding five with each humanity? Is there a cap?

You can kindle it more than once at some point later in the game. Until then the cap is 10.

AaronB
Jan 9, 2011
What the christ, am I supposed to be able to get past this enemy surrounded by dregs that fires soul arrow at me right before the Gargoyle fight It literally seems impossible, the only way I made it was running like a bitch to the fog door last time.

Edit: Now I've gotten impatient with the caped fellow on the stairs leading there and keep getting a riposte to the chest. I might quit for now. At least I found a shortcut from Firelink to the Parish

AaronB fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Oct 5, 2011

punch drunk
Nov 12, 2006

After 4 grueling hours of realizing I'm bad at video games trying to get through to the Parish I discovered you can kick down the ladder under the bridge in the Undead Burg to give you a shortcut to the bonfire. :shepface:

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!

AaronB posted:

What the christ, am I supposed to be able to get past this enemy surrounded by dregs that fires soul arrow at me right before the Gargoyle fight It literally seems impossible, the only way I made it was running like a bitch to the fog door last time.

For this use the walls to your advantage. In particular, as you're approaching the doorframe that leads from the walkway into the main area that he's in, equip a weapon with a wide sweeping attack (I used the broadsword) and stand right outside that doorway; he won't be able to attack you from there and the Dreg's funnel into it, making it a nice chokepoint. Block if you see any swords coming at you and flail your sword until they're dead. Then go beat on the soul arrow dude because he's a complete chump in melee.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

DeathSandwich posted:

If it's the black knight at the top of the spiral staircase, do NOT FIGHT HIM, it's a newbie trap, there is literally nothing up there, come back later on when you're a boss and slaughter him. Go back where the boar was standing, there should be a staircase right behind him leading down. Follow that around and there should be two ladders up toward the back of the room.

That area with the knight at the top of the parapet is not a newbie trap. That knight is guarding the back of the dragon. If you snipe the dragon from that location with an arrow it will die in a single hit. This is a reference to sniping the dragons with arrows in Demon's Souls.

ErIog fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Oct 5, 2011

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy

Jaros posted:

After 4 grueling hours of realizing I'm bad at video games trying to get through to the Parish I discovered you can kick down the ladder under the bridge in the Undead Burg to give you a shortcut to the bonfire. :shepface:

Thank god I'm still reading this thread. Off to look for this ladder you speak of!

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Can anyone tell me how to rebind the keys on the xbox? Having the near useless parry thing as LT and hold shield as LB is extremely annoying.

Dog Fat Man Chaser
Jan 13, 2009

maybe being miserable
is not unpredictable
maybe that's
the problem
with me
I'm convinced the capra fight is a joke that got put in by mistake, this is hilariously bullshit and the antithesis of fun. This is the most horribly designed boss I've ever seen.

Dog Fat Man Chaser fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Oct 5, 2011

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

blablablabla posted:

Can anyone tell me how to rebind the keys on the xbox? Having the near useless parry thing as LT and hold shield as LB is extremely annoying.

You can't.

Sanzuo
May 7, 2007

I feel dumb but I am totally stuck. Can anybody tell me in a non-spoilery way where I should be going after I defeat the bull demon and meet the guy who really likes the sun?

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

blablablabla posted:

You can't.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Sanzuo posted:

I feel dumb but I am totally stuck. Can anybody tell me in a non-spoilery way where I should be going after I defeat the bull demon and meet the guy who really likes the sun?

Gonna have to cross that bridge :)

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Important question: What's the pacing of this game like? Most of the videos I've seen make it look like combat requires a degree of precision, and it's rarely more than one-on-one encounters.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
So, anyone seen any Vagrants? I've been invaded by a Dark spirit Knight Kirk, but I'm not sure if that is a setpiece or a Vagrant or what. How about Gravelords?

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Lesson 1: After exploring a new area and slowly whittling away my resources it is not in my best interests to enter a white door and try and run as far as I can.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...

Speedball posted:

Important question: What's the pacing of this game like? Most of the videos I've seen make it look like combat requires a degree of precision, and it's rarely more than one-on-one encounters.

There are definitely groups of enemies that can all attack you at once. And enemies are a LOT smarter too. They got a few new tricks you never saw in Demon's.

This is speaking from being in the first area of the game currently.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
What is the NPC you meet at the fire link bonfire supposed to do? I read a sign in front of him that told me to kill him so I tried, not realizing that it was from another player, and the dude went all aggro on me. I must have died to him 50 times or something because he would immediately attack me again as soon as I respawned but I finally killed him and now I'm wondering if I should just start over.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Crowbear posted:

Gonna have to cross that bridge :)

yep should be familiar if you played demon souls. You gotta sprint, you may get lit up but you wont die

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

blablablabla posted:

This was one of the main complaints from xbox players before the game came out. You're stuck with the control scheme they give you.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

qbert posted:

This was one of the main complaints from xbox players before the game came out. You're stuck with the control scheme they give you.

This and having to navigate menus with the dpad was one hell of a wakeup call that this game is Japanese as gently caress.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
Since there seems to be some questions about this, and because I just did this like 10 minutes ago, here are some spoilers about the Drake Sword and how to get it (if the early game is kicking your rear end like it is mine, I recommend this):

Go to the Dragon Bridge (you know, the bridge with the loving giant dragon on it) and run down into the alcove that is halfway across the bridge on the right. Follow the stairs down and you'll come out onto some platforms underneath the bridge. Kill the two undead guys down here, and then stand near the right edge of the platform and look out. You should see the tail of the giant dragon swinging back and forth. Pull out your bow and shoot it, and the dragon will freak out and rage a bit but then settle back down. Repeat until his tail "dies" and you get the sword... took me probably 30 hits or so.

If you don't have a bow yet, you can buy one from the vendor in Undead Burg for 1000 souls. It requires 12 Dex, so be aware of that too. I just bought the cheapest arrows (3 souls each) and they seemed to work fine.

It's a pretty badass sword, but it won't stop enemies from murdering you, so don't get cocky.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
edit: double post :mad:

der juicen
Aug 11, 2005

Fuck haters
Knight is so much easier.

Dog Fat Man Chaser
Jan 13, 2009

maybe being miserable
is not unpredictable
maybe that's
the problem
with me

Dog Fat Man Chaser posted:

I'm convinced the capra fight is a joke that got put in by mistake, this is hilariously bullshit and the antithesis of fun. This is the most horribly designed boss I've ever seen.

I am on hour three of attempting to beat this boss. I continue to get stunlocked in corners or caught on the environment or have the camera spaz out and I'm about to just give up.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Weapon TYPE still matters right? My cleric had no issues with those non-soul-giving skeletons because maces rock skeletons. Why don't those give souls anyways? :(

God drat bridge dragon... I tried stripping to run faster and even then he keeps roasting me. Yes yes, suck it up. I don't know what to do, I hug the right, sprint and haul rear end but I get killed by the third breath. UGH.

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough
Still not totally clear but is there any real reason to go into human form aside from being able to kindle fires? Is it even really worth spending the humanity?

AaronB
Jan 9, 2011
My Knight Solaire summon was defeated by the Gargoyles too. You win tonight, Dark Souls. I don't know if I'll play you again or not. (I might play some more Demon's Souls though!)

empathe
Nov 9, 2003

>:|

ErIog posted:

That area with the knight at the top of the parapet is not a newbie trap. That knight is guarding the back of the dragon. If you snipe the dragon from that location with an arrow it will die in a single hit. This is a reference to sniping the dragons with arrows in Demon's Souls.

Seriously? I just killed that knight, but I don't see the dragon from up there!

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
I'm LOVING the changes they've made to Armor in Dark Souls. In Demons Souls, I was pretty disappointed when I found out how much you gimped yourself by wearing heavy armor and losing your ability to roll. It's so nice being a Knight and feeling the benefits of heavy armor. I can just lay into Dregs and the like.

I'm thinking I"ll try a High Strength, High Faith, High Armor style character with my knight! Grab myself a massive swords, a huge shield and wander around like some kind of Paladin Sluggernaught.

ButterChugger
Oct 12, 2007

mistaya posted:

Weapon TYPE still matters right? My cleric had no issues with those non-soul-giving skeletons because maces rock skeletons. Why don't those give souls anyways? :(

God drat bridge dragon... I tried stripping to run faster and even then he keeps roasting me. Yes yes, suck it up. I don't know what to do, I hug the right, sprint and haul rear end but I get killed by the third breath. UGH.

You're doing something really wrong if he gets 3 breaths on you.

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

mistaya posted:

IIRC someone mentioned that they were able to get across by putting up their shield and the dragon didn't attack for some reason, ymmv but worth a shot?

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
Hah, I got disillusioned by Deprived really quickly. Time to sally forth, Knight style.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
How do i aim with the crossbow? I need to shoot that dragons tail a lot.

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

I am holding a live frag grenade.
I'm SL 16 and my summon sign is in the courtyard outside the side entrance to the church on the 360 version, someone summon me already I need cash to upgrade my claymore.

ButterChugger
Oct 12, 2007

blablablabla posted:

How do i aim with the crossbow? I need to shoot that dragons tail a lot.

Can't aim with crossbows, only normal bows.

Gary Dupre
Aug 11, 2008

75PUP/37DNK
Someone mentioned that you can snipe the dragon from the top of the tower where the black knight is in the Undead Parish, but everytime I walk up the stairs, the dragon disappears. It comes back once I walk back down to the gate though, is this a glitch?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

Goddamn, do pyromancers ever become worthwhile to play? This lobbed half rear end firebomb thing sucks.

• Locked thread