Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Unknown_PC
Oct 9, 2002

What do you mean it's not done!?

DeathSandwich posted:

What is the intended next destination after Moonlight Butterfly? Valley of the drakes/blighttown? Darkroot basin seems like it's a dead end otherwise with a big loving nasty hydra trying to kill you.

Blighttown then down to the swamp for the bottom bell. Going from Valley of the Drakes -> Blighttown -> Swamp is much easier by taking the wooden elevator down to the swamp. Another route would be going from Depths -> Blighttown -> Swamp, but it's more difficult.

You could try the hydra if you want, but you may need to get a heavy shield to withstand it's attacks. You need to get close enough to the hydra so it starts lunging at you. After it lunges, you can attack its heads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

empathe
Nov 9, 2003

>:|

Unknown_PC posted:

Blighttown then down to the swamp for the bottom bell. Going from Valley of the Drakes -> Blighttown -> Swamp is much easier by taking the wooden elevator down to the swamp. Another route would be going from Depths -> Blighttown -> Swamp, but it's more difficult.

You could try the hydra if you want, but you may need to get a heavy shield to withstand it's attacks. You need to get close enough to the hydra so it starts lunging at you. After it lunges, you can attack its heads.

Which way is Blighttown from Fire Light?

Loofa08
Apr 17, 2008
Is it me or does it seem like people never take my summon? I put it down in areas I think a lot of people will walk through and I sit there for minutes at a time and nothing happens. The few times I was alive where I saw someone's summoning sign on the ground I was like "OMGOMGOMG HELP HELP HELP! SOMEONE WANTS TO HELP ME!!!" I saw 1 outside the Capra Demon Why isn't there like 100? On my own I got my poo poo tossed. Then I went into some guys game, killed it in a matter of seconds. Then went to kill him myself and summoned a guy, same results. It seems like the online mode is hardly present in this game.

Hatter106
Nov 25, 2006

bolshi fight za homosex

i am tim! posted:

The Undead Parish bonfire is past several of those Knights, as well as their longsword wielding cousins. If you're talking about the FIRST rapier wielding caped hollow knight, what's behind him is a mediocre shield and a dead end. There is a closed hallway that leads to a balcony-style path that puts you in a pincer with a spearman and a longsword caped knight. If you just poke your nose out and head back in, you can lure the spearman in alone, kill him, then go engage the knight solo.

After you kill the knight, just run STRAIGHT past him, across the rickety bridge to four more Hollow soldiers. Kill them, take the path that runs through the trees and follow the sounds of hammering; you'll come across the Bonfire and your first smithy.

I actually found it myself eventually, but thanks :) drat that was harrowing, going all that way after Taurus. Nearly jumped for joy when I found it.

Also the Drake Sword is awesome, the only major downside being its "Storm Ruler" attack takes about 30 durability off the sword. A dozen swipes and it's near broken. Works great on regular enemies but doesn't seem to affect the gargoyles.

2MB
Feb 3, 2009

"No need to speak. Your fists told me everything I need to know about you."
What are you guys doing to separate the gargoyle bosses? When the second one shows up he ends up covering the other one in fire the whole time and I can never get close enough to swing without dying in a clusterfuck of swords and flame. I've tried running from one end to the other but they always stick close to each other.

EDIT: drat this thread moves fast. Regardless I managed to kill the fuckers. They just decided to go their separate ways on this attempt for some reason.

2MB fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Oct 5, 2011

Tenacious J
Nov 20, 2002

I guess I missed something, but how do you kick? I'm on Xbox, and I thought it was flick the stick + LB? I can't do it. Of course, it might come in handy with something I just ran into:

I'm still in the burg, and I chose the Master Key for a gift. I think I'm right before the Dragon Bridge and I found a friendly door that only my key can open... I thought that since it's a privilege to have, it must lead to something nice. Stairs wound downwards very deep. There were a few plateaus along the way. At the bottom, was the creepiest loving thing in the world. What the poo poo was that? It chased me so quickly up the stairs.. I couldn't close the door and it just obliterated me in one swing. Am I supposed to kick/push it off the stairs? Goddamn this game.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

empathe posted:

Which way is Blighttown from Fire Light?

It's actually not bad if you have the masterkey, you just go down to the old ruins from the elevator underneath firelight. Hang a right and use the masterkey on the locked door cross the bridge and enter the cave and you're there.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
So, anyone seen any Vagrants? I've been invaded by a Dark spirit Knight Kirk, but I'm not sure if that is a setpiece or a Vagrant or what. How about Gravelords?

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Unknown_PC posted:

Wait, you're saying I didn't have to go through the depths? Does the valley of drakes path not include an rear end in a top hat with a fuckoff club and no room to fight him on? Also, gently caress, you have to shoot the tail OFF? I just figured nothing was going to happen after trying 25-odd times. I've been making do with just the claymore, but that would have made things SO much easier.

Chaos341
Aug 13, 2010

Darth Windu posted:

So, anyone seen any Vagrants? I've been invaded by a Dark spirit Knight Kirk, but I'm not sure if that is a setpiece or a Vagrant or what. How about Gravelords?

I think Kirk is a set piece I got attacked by him as well. Got a free shield out of it.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

Chaos341 posted:

I think Kirk is a set piece I got attacked by him as well. Got a free shield out of it.

Ah, dang....I'm gonna place down a piece of armor and watch it for a bit. I'd really like to send out a vagrant.

Professor Latency
Mar 30, 2011

Is there a bonfire, or a shortcut to one in the depths?

I'm just about at the point where the gaping dragon and the merchant (the one sitting down near a locked door through a crack in a gate) are and I really don't want to fight this boss after going through all this frog bullshit.

empathe
Nov 9, 2003

DeathSandwich posted:

It's actually not bad if you have the masterkey, you just go down to the old ruins from the elevator underneath firelight. Hang a right and use the masterkey on the locked door cross the bridge and enter the cave and you're there.

What are my options without the masterkey? Also, how do I deal with the ghosts that are down there?

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

Professor Latency posted:

Is there a bonfire, or a shortcut to one in the depths?

I'm just about at the point where the gaping dragon and the merchant (the one sitting down near a locked door through a crack in a gate) are and I really don't want to fight this boss after going through all this frog bullshit.

There is a shortcut in the room where you first see the giant rat through some bars.

Who Dat
Dec 13, 2007

:neckbeard: :woop: :downsbravo: :slick:
Finally got to the Undead Parish bonfire with the blacksmith. Such a tough journey!

What the poo poo is that in the room next to him that is throwing lightning bolts at me when I descend the stairs? It looks creepy as gently caress. :ohdear:

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Cicadas! posted:

Wait, you're saying I didn't have to go through the depths? Does the valley of drakes path not include an rear end in a top hat with a fuckoff club and no room to fight him on? Also, gently caress, you have to shoot the tail OFF? I just figured nothing was going to happen after trying 25-odd times. I've been making do with just the claymore, but that would have made things SO much easier.

In both cases that I've ran into a dude with a big fuckoff club once at the entrance to the depths, and the big armored knight in the parish the trick is to be patient. They both have significant windup and in both cases you should have decent room to dodge them from basically near where they aggro you. Use a longer ranged attack like a spear or the R2 from the longsword. Wait for them to telegraph their big cumbersome attack, walk backwards out of it, wait for the club to hit the ground and attack them *once* then back off. Repeat about 30 or 40 times and you win.

Reive
May 21, 2009

If you have the weapon and haven't tried this do it now, get out your Drake Sword, go two-handed and heavy attack, watch in awe.

empathe
Nov 9, 2003

Reive posted:

If you have the weapon and haven't tried this do it now, get out your Drake Sword, go two-handed and heavy attack, watch in awe.

It kills the durability though, so don't overuse!

Chaos341
Aug 13, 2010

Reive posted:

Watch out though it wrecks the durability and is expensive to repair.

Edit: ^^^ Argh...

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I'm a jumpy motherfucker, it's really not hard to creep me out and scare the poo poo out of me

Would I be able to play through this game? Punishing difficulty I can live with, and I'm honestly considering driving out at 1:11 am to pick it up.

Unknown_PC
Oct 9, 2002

What do you mean it's not done!?

empathe posted:

What are my options without the masterkey? Also, how do I deal with the ghosts that are down there?

The ghosts and such are on the left side, you'll want to head to the right side for Valley of Drakes.

If you don't have master key or specific key for the gate, you'll need to go all the way from Darkwood Garden -> Darkwood Basin -> Valley of Drakes. If you run into the mini-boss the hydra in Darkwood Basin, you're going the wrong way.

There is a world connectivity map on the English page. But there may be some light, place name spoilers.

Unknown_PC fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Oct 5, 2011

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Yeah I lied; so what is the truth?

Bahahahahaha I summoned my first white phantom we get to the stairway ahead of Tauros he gets hit by the flaming barrel and tossed to a ridge below the stairs i jump to follow him and fall to my death....Love this game.

Professor Latency
Mar 30, 2011

Darth Windu posted:

There is a shortcut in the room where you first see the giant rat through some bars.

Well it turns out you can't get back up there once you start going into the more sewer-y parts. But the room I was in previously had a staircase in the back that lead to a bonfire.

The black knight's sword looks dope.

vvvv the boss areas open up. Trust me.

Professor Latency fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Oct 5, 2011

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

The absolute worst thing in this game, thus far, are these lovely boss battles in these small, confined spaces. It took me several tries to kill the Capra demon because it's such a small loving alleyway and those annoying dogs darted around all over the place. You try to dodge but you get hit by something or your camera glitches out due to the lock-on system colliding with the wall of the small area.

Whoever thought it'd be a good idea to have boss battles in these small spaces needs to never design a video game again. It's like they read "Oh I like Demon's Souls because it's tough but fair" and ignored the "but fair" part. I seem to recall everyone hating the Maneater boss because it was such a narrow, piece-of-crap walkway, From, not because you fought two of them.

I look forward to the boss battle where the guy shoots the instant kill laser and the walkway is the size of a wooden beam.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

It is not the encounters that are bad, it is you who is bad.

Dog Fat Man Chaser
Jan 13, 2009

maybe being miserable
is not unpredictable
maybe that's
the problem
with me

Fonzarelli posted:

It is not the encounters that are bad, it is you who is bad.

No it's a pretty poo poo encounter that the camera was not designed to accommodate. Even when I beat the guy I still spent about half the fight staring at a wall or zoomed into the ground between us.

pissdude
Jul 15, 2003

(and can't post for 6 years!)

I just rented this from my local Redbox.. It's awesome so far!! Been grinding in the Undead Burg a bit. :D

I made #Darksouls on SynIRC if anyone wants to chat and discuss/complain/tell stories in there.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Dog Fat Man Chaser posted:

No it's a pretty poo poo encounter that the camera was not designed to accommodate. Even when I beat the guy I still spent about half the fight staring at a wall or zoomed into the ground between us.

Excuses, excuses...

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Dog Fat Man Chaser posted:

Pretty much this. At least with the Taurus boss I could see what I was doing, I just got caught on the dude. This boss fight, however, I was fighting the camera more than those drat dogs. I had to attack them blind because if I locked-on to them the camera would just crap out because they'd dart off the stairs or near a wall or something.

I seriously hope there aren't any more boss battles like that. Nothing in Demon's Souls was ever that terrible.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
Man up, complaint-havers.

Okay, hallow warrior helmet has been sitting on the ground for about 20 minutes now, I'm saying gently caress it and moving on. Maybe there just aren't enough people online at the moment. Or maybe the vagrant system is all a big lie...

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Seriously. Half the times I tried him he was already in the middle of attacking as soon as I came in and would kill me regardless, the other half the dogs stunlocked me until the big guy killed me, eventually I had to resign myself to plinking him to death from on top of the tiny outcropping (and even then he would somehow hit me with a jumping slash). Honestly I can't see how you could possibly beat this boss legitimately, even with luring the dogs to the little outcropping to kill them, provided you can even make it to the stairs.

Lenaway
Feb 8, 2006

Touch Fuzzy
Get Dizzy
It seems like I'm the only person not using the drake sword!

I started as thief with the pendant and I died once to the first enemy with a shield (I didn't play Demons Souls so I was completely new) but once I got the hang of it I killed the Asylum Demon with no real problems.

I grabbed the winged spear from the graveyard and went on my way. I rang the first bell and killed some bosses. Capra demon kicked my rear end 3 times, I can't seem to kill his dogs with my spear and I've dumped all my points into dex. I guess I'll come back when I get a better weapon.

I havent upgraded my weapon or armor because I have only found one titanite piece and I don't know where to get more. This game has been everything I hoped for and I am completely happy I pre-ordered it 5 months ago.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Boy oh boy! I sure am glad they kept that awesome move in the game where you bounce back two feet for no reason when you hit the O button! It's not like it's a stupid useless counter intuitive prompt that lets you get rear end raped when you try to run or anything. It's awesome cause you can't already do that effectively by just hitting back+O, so i really appreciate it. Thanks From! I wasn't trying to kill that armored boar. I was just trying to get him down to a sliver of life and let him stick his tusks up my rear end in a top hat.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Oct 5, 2011

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Darth Windu posted:

Man up, complaint-havers.

Okay, hallow warrior helmet has been sitting on the ground for about 20 minutes now, I'm saying gently caress it and moving on. Maybe there just aren't enough people online at the moment. Or maybe the vagrant system is all a big lie...

Vagrants invade *other* people's games, they don't just spring to life on you. You don't get to see what the vagrants do once the item you dropped despawns either through death or reloading your save.

*Edit: Still never found a vagrant in my game either though :smith:

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

I think what I like most about this game over Demon's Souls is parrying is actually worth doing in some cases. Namely the Dark Knights since they telegraph their attacks so much and you often find them in confined spaces and hallways. Two or three ripostes with the Drake Sword and they're toast.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

Two questions:

Is the typical path once you leave the tutorial to go up to the bull headed monster? Am I missing something along the way?

Can I hang around a bonfire to get Estus Flasks replenished?

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Lenaway posted:

It seems like I'm the only person not using the drake sword!

I started as thief with the pendant and I died once to the first enemy with a shield (I didn't play Demons Souls so I was completely new) but once I got the hang of it I killed the Asylum Demon with no real problems.

I grabbed the winged spear from the graveyard and went on my way. I rang the first bell and killed some bosses. Capra demon kicked my rear end 3 times, I can't seem to kill his dogs with my spear and I've dumped all my points into dex. I guess I'll come back when I get a better weapon.

I havent upgraded my weapon or armor because I have only found one titanite piece and I don't know where to get more. This game has been everything I hoped for and I am completely happy I pre-ordered it 5 months ago.

You're good with dex, so if it comes to it you could always "cheat" and kill him with arrows from the top of the stairs. I would tell you to make sure you get rid of the dogs first, but that kind of goes without saying.
Titanite bits are sold by the first blacksmith for a pittance of 800 souls, go nuts.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

DeathSandwich posted:

Vagrants invade *other* people's games, they don't just spring to life on you. You don't get to see what the vagrants do once the item you dropped despawns either through death or reloading your save.

*Edit: Still never found a vagrant in my game either though :smith:

I know, you'd think the item would disappear or something.

I ALSO was determined not to use the drake sword, but goddamn this game is just far too punishing, and my upgraded long sword was not cutting it at all. I'm sorry. I will switch to the first good straight sword that I can find, though. (does anyone know of any? I don't want to check the wiki and I'm really , really tired of this drake sword.)

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Darth Windu posted:

I know, you'd think the item would disappear or something.

I ALSO was determined not to use the drake sword, but goddamn this game is just far too punishing, and my upgraded long sword was not cutting it at all. I'm sorry. I will switch to the first good straight sword that I can find, though. (does anyone know of any? I don't want to check the wiki and I'm really , really tired of this drake sword.)

If you have the masterkey there is one you could get right now in the valley of the drakes, go down the elevator under the fire shrine and hang a right once you get down the stairs, use the masterkey on the next door you see, cross the bridge and follow the cliff around and pick up the sparkley.Good luck you'll need it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

about how many arrows does it take to get the drake sword?

• Locked thread