Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
For what it's worth, I'm about 24 hours into the game, SL42 and have never had to grind anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011
Digital Foundry Face-Off.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
Eurogamer tech analysis is up

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-dark-souls-face-off

Shockingly the Xbox comes out on top by a smidge. So small though It's not worth counting.

Edit. Beaten.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Oct 5, 2011

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Mega Comrade posted:

Eurogamer tech analysis is up

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-dark-souls-face-off

Shockingly the Xbox comes out on top by a smidge.

The text suggests that each of them has a tiny, paradoxical weakness - physics stuff makes the PS3 chug a little more than it should (which is odd, considering the PS3 CPU is beefier), but the 360 slows down during volumetric effects (which is odd, as the 360 normally handles such things better).

So yeah, it's a 'buy for whatever system you prefer more' deal this time. Nice to see it so equal on both systems.

Morbleu
Jun 13, 2006

Sheep-Goats posted:

Do you want to use fast weapons or big weapons?

There you go.

I'd prefer faster (I think). Is heavy armor reliant on strength?

Also, where can I buy some heavier armor? I started as a pyro so I'm not exactly wearing very protective armor.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy

Nigulus Rex posted:

I'd prefer faster (I think). Is heavy armor reliant on strength?

Also, where can I buy some heavier armor? I started as a pyro so I'm not exactly wearing very protective armor.

Endurance is used for the gear you have equipped so for the heavier armor you'll want more endurance as the stat dictates how much weight you can carry with equipped items. You'll run fine up until you reach more than half your weight limit threshold and then you start to slow down.

You can buy some cheap chain mail at the first merchant you find, alternatively all the armored undead you'll bump into start dropping good heavy armor. Make sure you buy gloves as they are a bit more elusive to get.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

The only thing I don't like it and it's something i've encountered in the first area (Undead Burgs) with the basic soldier type is that they cheat by "warping" to you now. As in some can jump 25ft to get to you, it's harder to dodge sometimes as they will do their jumping move and if you move to the side, they will change direction in the air to face you now. So instead of taking advantage of their lovely jump move, they will probably make contact.

I go through too many estus flasks but I did start out deprived and the best armor I have now is hollow soldiers poo poo, so I am sure I'll eventually find better.

I am having a easier time with the knights with capes and those giant fucks with shields but than again they aren't trying to rape my face and gang bang me as I step inside their grottos.

Wish I could play all day but... school, midterms soon... UGH. What a perfect game tho, it took me about 2.5 hours to get past the first boss (Tauren Demon thing) but that defeat felt so great.

Also, have you guys seen the sign on the ground "Praise the sun"? What the hell?

Morbleu
Jun 13, 2006

Mayor McCheese posted:

Endurance is used for the gear you have equipped so for the heavier armor you'll want more endurance as the stat dictates how much weight you can carry with equipped items. You'll run fine up until you reach more than half your weight limit threshold and then you start to slow down.

You can buy some cheap chain mail at the first merchant you find, alternatively all the armored undead you'll bump into start dropping good heavy armor. Make sure you buy gloves as they are a bit more elusive to get.

Thanks. I think I'll leave my str at 16 and start pumping endurance and dex (I want to use that damned wingspear..) Any opinions on how much endurance is enough?

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

Vintersorg posted:

Also, have you guys seen the sign on the ground "Praise the sun"? What the hell?

My guess is it means "Look upwards!" using the limited vocabulary available in the message system.

How do you write messages and how do you rate them, by the way? I'm going to feel dumb for asking, but since I still haven't figured it out...

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Vintersorg posted:

I'm not sure what all the conditions are but I heard if you make a "gesture of respect," eg., use the gesture menu, toward the sun you are given the lightning bolt miracle which has three charges -- maybe you also have to be part of the Solaire's faction, I don't know.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!
Started as a thief with the pendant, played for a bit last night. I made it to the first bonfire in the Undead Burg.

I really like how much smarter the trash mobs are than they were in Demon's. Running into two shield-bearing zombies with spears who immediately raise their shields and start acting like a micro-phalanx was a delicious challenge. And then, right around the corner from buying chainmail and a scimitar from the first merchant, I stumble right into a warrior zombie backed by his good friends firebomb zombie and four regular zombies, end up rolling directly into a wall and butchered.

So good. Can't wait until I have more time to play.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Nigulus Rex posted:

Thanks. I think I'll leave my str at 16 and start pumping endurance and dex (I want to use that damned wingspear..) Any opinions on how much endurance is enough?

Keep it roughly in line with your other stats but eventually you'll certainly want 30 and probably 40, as that also maxes out your stamina bar. Endurance is a super critical stat for anyone other than a pure mage.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Nigulus Rex posted:

Your cap will increase 1 weight per point in Endurance. Most pieces of gear will weigh 3-5 weight each. The heaviest stuff is pushing around 7-14 with a few pushing 17 units. This is endgame heavy gear, though.

Endurance is a safe enough stat as it also increases your stamina gauge which is always good in general.

Also be aware that things in your "off-hand" alternative slots also count towards your total weight. So having a mace and a longsword set to your right hand will bog you down. If you're really ghetto you can always use one weapon with two hands in order to wear the ultra heavy stuff without spending too much endurance.

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA

Filthy Monkey posted:

Or should I focus on trying to take down that electric dude? The notes around him said to used ranged combat, but I am kind of low on arrows at this point. Is there a nearby place to restock, or should I haul rear end to the first vendor?

Despite the notes, I had a lot more luck meleeing him in my walking-tank gear. (My favorite improvement of Dark Souls over its predecessor so far is that the juggernaut playstyle feels a lot more viable.) He does lazy wide arcs with his swings and if you circle-strafe alongside him and keep to his back while holding your shield up, you'll be able to block or dodge everything he throws at you. The only thing to really watch out for is the jump attack, because it breaks lock-on and he'll usually come down right behind you, and even if you block it you'll take damage and be knocked over.

Where do you guys recommend going next? I just took down Capra (in two tries; what was supposed to be so hard about him again?) and messed around in the depths a little, and as far as I can tell my options are to go back into the depths, try to find a bonfire, and fight Gaping Dragon, whom I have attempted all of once with hilarious results, or go down Imminent Fatty Tower into the basin and throw myself at that giant-rear end hydra. Is that thing even meleeable?

Morbleu
Jun 13, 2006

Sheep-Goats posted:

Keep it roughly in line with your other stats but eventually you'll certainly want 30 and probably 40, as that also maxes out your stamina bar. Endurance is a super critical stat for anyone other than a pure mage.

Alright, thanks.

Do you know of any high damage weapons that require a lot of dex? I only ask because the drake sword (what I'm using now) is just so good relative to anything yet that I've found.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Sheep-Goats posted:

I'm not sure what all the conditions are but I heard if you make a "gesture of respect," eg., use the gesture menu, toward the sun you are given the lightning bolt miracle which has three charges -- maybe you also have to be part of the Solaire's faction, I don't know.

You are right. It's a reward you get from the end of one of the events with the Covenant, Warriors of Sunlight.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Ninja'd a Dark Knight's treasure and barely made it back out alive. I feel like a real thief now.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006
drat this thread is moving fast - I've skimmed the last 20 or so pages but couldn't see this.

Is the weapon upgrading the same as in Demon Souls?
The thing that annoyed me about the branching system was that if you went past the single point where you could apply the upgrade you missed it - i.e. if the upgrade point for a sword with X was +3, if you had a +4 sword you couldn't apply the upgrade.
Is this still the case?

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Alright, so don't tell me what to expect or anything, but is it worth it early game (just now getting into valley of the drakes/killed moonlight butterfly as my last boss. But is it worth it to buy the key from the undead parish blacksmith for the door in blackroot garden? The Key costs 20000 which I can pull off with items at the moment. I just don't know if it's worth it if either A) the loot sucks or B) Everything there will kill me horribly before I can get anything of value because my gear/stats aren't good enough to be in there

Apathetic Artist
Dec 23, 2010
Dark Souls haunted my dreams all night long. So tired at work.

Deprived was an awful class choice, but I will persevere!

I can't believe how much more intelligent the enemies are. My jaw dropped when I realized two spear wielding enemies were actively attempting to get me stuck between them, instead of grouping up and going straight in for the kill.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Nigulus Rex posted:

Alright, thanks.

Do you know of any high damage weapons that require a lot of dex? I only ask because the drake sword (what I'm using now) is just so good relative to anything yet that I've found.

I believe the highest dex you'll ever need in order to equip a weapon is 24. That doesn't mean you should stop there though if you're planning on going down that route as an archer, thief, spearman etc. as the damage will still be mitigated from the stat.

If you're going down a strength route 20 dex is all you'll ever need for certain polearms.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Mr Beens posted:

drat this thread is moving fast - I've skimmed the last 20 or so pages but couldn't see this.

Is the weapon upgrading the same as in Demon Souls?
The thing that annoyed me about the branching system was that if you went past the single point where you could apply the upgrade you missed it - i.e. if the upgrade point for a sword with X was +3, if you had a +4 sword you couldn't apply the upgrade.
Is this still the case?

From what I can tell you can branch off into the other branches once the weapon is +5, even if it is over 5, what branches are open to you depend on the different cinders(?) that you find and turn in to the blacksmiths. So far I've only found divine and the base upgrade one.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

Irsh posted:

Dark Souls haunted my dreams all night long. So tired at work.

Deprived was an awful class choice, but I will persevere!

I can't believe how much more intelligent the enemies are. My jaw dropped when I realized two spear wielding enemies were actively attempting to get me stuck between them, instead of grouping up and going straight in for the kill.

I'm playing Deprived as well, my god is it hard when you have NO armor.

However, when I down a boss I feel like the biggest :black101: to ever loving exist. I'm only using a Long Sword +3 with some chainmail armor; my head and legs are hollowed warrior poo poo. When I get off work today I'm going to go get the Drake sword and beat the Capra Demon's rear end into next week.

I started with the pendant as well for extra story line, I actually liked the story in Demon's Souls and the way it was presented, this one doesn't seem any different in that regard.

Now to pump strength to use the Dark Knight Sword

serling
Aug 25, 2005

DeathSandwich posted:

Alright, so don't tell me what to expect or anything, but is it worth it early game (just now getting into valley of the drakes/killed moonlight butterfly as my last boss. But is it worth it to buy the key from the undead parish blacksmith for the door in blackroot garden? The Key costs 20000 which I can pull off with items at the moment. I just don't know if it's worth it if either A) the loot sucks or B) Everything there will kill me horribly before I can get anything of value because my gear/stats aren't good enough to be in there

You'll earn those souls back in no time. Seriously. It's one of the most fruitful areas in the game, in terms of soul harvesting. You need to have some levels under you, but it's well worth it.

Speaking of, what's the deal with Sif's ring, that lets you "walk the abyss"?

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

Well, my amazon order shipped out early this morning, and is most likely already at my house. I just hit up the amazon chat support, and they issued me a $10 promotional certificate. If your order arrived late, do not hesitate to hit them up for that sweet sweet e-money.

Now, God help me, I have to make it through another boring day and afternoon of jury selection before I can start my bandit. :sigh:

DO IT TO IT
Mar 3, 2008

I know "mon" means man, but I don't think "Och" means anything.

I made it to the first merchant in the game (I think) in the Undead Burg. Is it worth buying a bow or spear from him or will I regret it when I find those things soon?

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...

Schubalts posted:

Ninja'd a Dark Knight's treasure and barely made it back out alive. I feel like a real thief now.

Oh, drat you! I had to sacrifice 2k souls and some humanity.

Totally worth it! :eng99:

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.

serling posted:

Speaking of, what's the deal with Sif's ring, that lets you "walk the abyss"?

It's required to join a certain covenant.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

DO IT TO IT posted:

I made it to the first merchant in the game (I think) in the Undead Burg. Is it worth buying a bow or spear from him or will I regret it when I find those things soon?

A normal bow will be worth it, the spears will drop for you fairly often in the next bonfire section.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

boxcarhobo posted:

Well, my amazon order shipped out early this morning, and is most likely already at my house. I just hit up the amazon chat support, and they issued me a $10 promotional certificate. If your order arrived late, do not hesitate to hit them up for that sweet sweet e-money.

Now, God help me, I have to make it through another boring day and afternoon of jury selection before I can start my bandit. :sigh:

"Your honor, can we hurry up with this? I have to get home to steal some souls as a bandit. Might kill a dragon as well, depends on how saucy I'm feeling"

Hell, it might get you off from having to pull Jury Duty. :v:

bobby2times
Jan 9, 2010
Beat the stray demon at sl18. Only took me 15 tries!

Apathetic Artist
Dec 23, 2010

DO IT TO IT posted:

I didn't notice him there and accidentally attacked him. Not he's nowhere to be found. It was a misunderstanding. I didn't seem him there.

I'd say you're probably better off just finding the drops. I don't think I've got a spear, but I know I've found a bow early on. I've only played about four hours.

serling
Aug 25, 2005

evilalien posted:

It's required to join a certain covenant.

Hope it's not the covenant of the-annoying-cat-I-told-to-gently caress-off-earlier :haw:

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic
Question: I'm in the Way of the White covenant. Will I be put on the shitlist if I decide to abandon that one and go for something else? I was kinda reading through the guys spiel faster than he was talking and accidently hit yes. :(

If so, than bring it on fuckers :black101:

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...

Smelly posted:

Question: I'm in the Way of the White covenant. Will I be put on the shitlist if I decide to abandon that one and go for something else? I was kinda reading through the guys spiel faster than he was talking and accidently hit yes. :(

If so, than bring it on fuckers :black101:

It will be broughted. :smug:

Alectai
Dec 31, 2008

It doesn't matter how long I live, I will never have a hat as dashing as this.
So, just killed the Capra Demon, hardest part was maintaining discipline throughout the fight, but once I had his pattern down and found the opening where I could hit him at, I managed to take him out without taking any further damage :smug:

Of course, I'm currently at the Undead Burg Depths, and I've barely touched any other regions, should I keep going? Or relocate somewhere else? Because I just got murdered by a butcher who could punch through a full endurance bar and all but one-shot me with a single attack through the shield that could tank anything short of the Capra Demon's double-overhead swing, so I don't quite think I'm supposed to be there yet.

Also, any idea where I can find some armor better then Chain Mail?

Happy Blue Cow
Oct 23, 2008

I have moooore respect for
Mr. Carpainter then others. Even if I become someone's steak dinner, I'll still respect him.

Difficult enemies that give 0 Souls... Is this the games way of telling you that you are definitely not going in the right direction? or do these enemies (Ghosts who chop me in half and Resurrecting Skeletons) just not supposed give any souls ever?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Which are the best gifts? I chose master key because I hate locked poo poo in video games. Apparently the item that says it restores hit points (and I was hoping it would be similar to the Royal's broken starting accessory) only gives you a paltry boost. Are the other gifts like Goddess Blessing one time only?

TalonDemonKing
May 4, 2011

Has anyone gone about invading other player's worlds? How is that holding up for y'all?

I'm currently going to work my way to a scythe and such; but I need someone to take my frusterations out on. I don't want to waste all of my red-orbs though; so how does one go about getting new ones?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tainted Ham
Apr 19, 2009
Without spoiling too much, what would I be missing out on if I didn't take the master key as my starting gift?

• Locked thread