Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

Happy Blue Cow posted:

Difficult enemies that give 0 Souls... Is this the games way of telling you that you are definitely not going in the right direction? or do these enemies (Ghosts who chop me in half and Resurrecting Skeletons) just not supposed give any souls ever?

Like others have said a few pages back. This game does not hold your hand in any way.

If you're getting stomped, it's because you shouldn't be going that way yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TalonDemonKing
May 4, 2011

Zebrasectomy posted:

Without spoiling too much, what would I be missing out on if I didn't take the master key as my starting gift?

You won't die as often.

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.

Alectai posted:

Of course, I'm currently at the Undead Burg Depths, and I've barely touched any other regions, should I keep going? Or relocate somewhere else? Because I just got murdered by a butcher who could punch through a full endurance bar and all but one-shot me with a single attack through the shield that could tank anything short of the Capra Demon's double-overhead swing, so I don't quite think I'm supposed to be there yet.

It sounds like you were getting hit by his one unblockable attack. You should be able to take the butchers if you took out that boss easily.

Morbleu
Jun 13, 2006

Mayor McCheese posted:

I believe the highest dex you'll ever need in order to equip a weapon is 24. That doesn't mean you should stop there though if you're planning on going down that route as an archer, thief, spearman etc. as the damage will still be mitigated from the stat.

If you're going down a strength route 20 dex is all you'll ever need for certain polearms.

Thanks again. Am I even going to be even close in level enough to get 40 endurance, more vit (I only have 15, not sure how much I need, maybe 20?), and dex? I don't know if I'd have enough points to get strength if I wanted to.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Where is this merchant in the Undead Burgs? I thought I explored a bit but saw other paths below me that seemed risky to get too.

SolidHavoc
Jul 16, 2003

Vintersorg posted:

Where is this merchant in the Undead Burgs? I thought I explored a bit but saw other paths below me that seemed risky to get too.

When you first encounter the two hollow guards with spears, he is located down a stairwell that is hidden by barrels in their area.

Aug
Sep 8, 2004

Got Smuff?
I beat the first boss The Giant guy on the ramparts by standing under his crotch and stabbing him repeatedly (IN THE CROTCH) with a spear . It felt cheap, but my question is can i climb on top of one of the towers and plink away at him with arrows/bolts?.

ALSO: Is there a way to see how many times i've died? It's got to be around 20ish now (mainly because I thought i only had a finite amount of estus flasks). I'm also thinking of restarting since that regen ring i started with is worthless.

EDIT: I have noted that resting at a campfire does not always reset the enemies. Just recently I ran from a guy knight with a sword and shield in goldenish armor, rested at a fire only to have him run up to me and kill me as is stand up from the campfire. He really just wanted his ring back I guess.

Aug fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Oct 5, 2011

frosteh
Apr 30, 2009
In the Firelink Shrine starting area, there's a building with a dude who will teach you miracles. On the roof of this building is a corpse with some loot - how the hell do you get up there? Yes I know you can jump in this game :O

Alectai
Dec 31, 2008

It doesn't matter how long I live, I will never have a hat as dashing as this.

evilalien posted:

It sounds like you were getting hit by his one unblockable attack. You should be able to take the butchers if you took out that boss easily.

Let me elaborate, I did not kill the Capra Demon easily, just killing his minions without using up all my Estus Flask charges took a good five-six attempts, and then I didn't actually start fighting him smart until I ran out of flask-drinks with a nub of health left, threw up my shield, and was surprised to find it only took off a third of my endurance. I think Demon's Souls has given me some bad habits when boss-fighting, given how much poo poo just punched through any defenses you had.

The next fifteen minutes were a hair-raising affair as I stayed in his face, took the odd stab, and hoped to god he didn't do the double-overhead slash with me being in close range. Thankfully, he didn't, and I eventually managed to plink him down to zero health.

Onto my prior question though, are there any spots where I can find some decent armor? Better then Chain anyway?

Aug posted:

I beat the first boss The Giant guy on the ramparts by standing under his crotch and stabbing him repeatedly (IN THE CROTCH) with a spear . It felt cheap, but my question is can i climb on top of one of the towers and plink away at him with arrows/bolts?.

ALSO: Is there a way to see how many times i've died? It's got to be around 20ish now (mainly because I thought i only had a finite amount of estus flasks). I'm also thinking of restarting since that regen ring i started with is worthless.

No actually, he jumps up to that spot after a second, though evidently you have enough time to do a downstab on him.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

der juicen posted:

I can never plunge quite right for some reason. I target, hit B, but i always hit RT and not RB. :suicide:
It helps if, when you reach the top of the ladder, you sprint halfway into the middle of the tower, then turn, sprint back, and jump at the edge while spamming RB. Don't gently caress around on top of the tower for long because he can jump up with you!

Also, You can kill the Taurus demon with nothing but plunge attacks, but probably won't be able to run fast enough if you're in heavy-ish armor. Just be sure to run halfway across the bridge after hitting him, then roll past and keep sprinting until you reach the ladder

Crowbear posted:

You can kindle it more than once at some point later in the game. Until then the cap is 10.
If you're capped at 10 you can still gain flasks if someone else kindles your fire. I was afk grabbing a drink last night and came back to 11 flasks in UB.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Aug posted:

Absolutely!

He will jump up on top of the tower and make a fool of you if you try this.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
Is it worth getting the 5,000 soul talisman in the beginning of the game from the White Convenent merchant before Undead Berg? I can't find anything on the web on what it actually does, and I can't parse the description for the life of me.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues
Got my copy early for some reason, not that I'm complaining. Spent all day just stabbing things in the brains from high levels. My nephew was watching me play and I beat the Taurus Demon first go, so we indulged ourselves in a little schadenfreude and watched some blood spatters in the area.

We saw one where all you could see was this poor little dude launched like a projectile off the parapets. I swear we laughed for ages.

Then I walked through a fog door to see the Capra Demon and lasted all of three seconds. We laughed for ages after that too because it was just so sudden and we had no idea what to expect. I stopped laughing after the fourth try but another six tries later and I've beaten it so hey, downwards we go.

Oh, and if any Australians on the PS3 version find a few of the harder places stuffed with vagrants, I know I've done my job well. Those duplicates just wanted to be free you see.

Aug posted:

I'm also thinking of restarting since that regen ring i started with is worthless.

Your regen ring isn't actually a regen ring, it's only giving you bonus HP. Dark Souls has some rather dodgy item descriptions I'm afraid.

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

I am holding a live frag grenade.

But Not Tonight posted:

Is the vendor you're talking about the guy right below the firelink bonfire? Or is it somewhere else?
I'm talking about the guy [apoiler]off to the side just down the stairs from the first bonfire after firelink[/spoiler].

A Nice Boy posted:

In the VERY first part, the tutorial, when you get to the level with the dying knight who gives you the estus flasks, there's an item I can't get. If you run to the left from the room with the dying knight, there's an item up on some crumbling stairs. You can come at this from the back, but there's a door that is locked there. I can't find any way to get at the stuff. Any ideas?

You can't open that door during the tutorial. I think the key to that door is on top of the roof of a ruin near firelink. To get it you need to take the elevator from there to the church and step off after it goes up a floor.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

frosteh posted:

In the Firelink Shrine starting area, there's a building with a dude who will teach you miracles. On the roof of this building is a corpse with some loot - how the hell do you get up there? Yes I know you can jump in this game :O

If it's the one I think of you can get up there later in the game. You'll know when.

CrazedLlama
May 9, 2005

Wagh?!
Did anyone else kill the big, fat armored guy at the bottom of the spiral stairs in Undead Burg their first time through there? I started as a thief and he kept one shotting me whenever I poorly timed a dodge, but I said gently caress it and kept going back. He drops a ring that doubles your equipment burden.

Chaitai
Apr 15, 2006
Nope. I got nothin' witty to go here.

College Slice
At the start of the Undead Parish there is a boar boss that drops a mystery key. What is this key used for? I don't know where to go now.

nauggins
Jun 26, 2009

it's big money postin' baby boy
Rolled a knight. I was doin' work on some buster skeletons. Got to the taurus demon, was too fat and slow with my sweet armor on. Got nude. Got it down to the last half of its last health bar. Got murdered, got mad. :feelsgood:

Question though, and I didn't see it addressed in the thread (could be I just missed it): I chose the Twin Humanities as my gift, and when I started I promptly fat-fingered the Use button and consumed them. Am I hosed, or is the game still mysterious enough that there's no way to know yet?

Skunk Ape
Mar 16, 2009

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
Could anyone who uses Heal and Great Heal give some details on those and their effectiveness? I'm wondering if having 5 Heals is going to be a nice supplement to my flask, or if they heal for such a piddly amount that it's not worth the 4,000 soul cost. I'm assuming Great Heal won't be worth it at 10k for only one use.

strategery
Apr 21, 2004
I come to you baring a gift. Its in my diper and its not a toaster.
Ordered Collectors Edition from Amazon using release day shipping. Checked last night - STILL NOT SHIPPED. Wrote them an e-mail to complain. Was shipped almost immediately after. Came to work today, where a friend told me some people who order collectors edition from amazon are getting the regular edition. We shall see....

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

I feel like whoever designed the control mechanism for kicking was about to get fired and wanted to implement one last "gently caress you". I don't know if it's just the 360 controller or what but it's impossible to do it intentionally and it pretty much always just gets me killed.

Agnostic watermelon
Jul 1, 2009

I'm a lil' Brony!

strategery posted:

Ordered Collectors Edition from Amazon using release day shipping. Checked last night - STILL NOT SHIPPED. Wrote them an e-mail to complain. Was shipped almost immediately after. Came to work today, where a friend told me some people who order collectors edition from amazon are getting the regular edition. We shall see....

My order shipped early last night.

I hope it's not a regular edition since it specifically says CE on the order :ohdear:

nauggins posted:

Rolled a knight. I was doin' work on some buster skeletons. Got to the taurus demon, was too fat and slow with my sweet armor on. Got nude. Got it down to the last half of its last health bar. Got murdered, got mad. :feelsgood:

Question though, and I didn't see it addressed in the thread (could be I just missed it): I chose the Twin Humanities as my gift, and when I started I promptly fat-fingered the Use button and consumed them. Am I hosed, or is the game still mysterious enough that there's no way to know yet?

Naw, that was just a item that gives you two humanity ( just like the hero souls in the last game)

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

Skunk Ape posted:

Could anyone who uses Heal and Great Heal give some details on those and their effectiveness? I'm wondering if having 5 Heals is going to be a nice supplement to my flask, or if they heal for such a piddly amount that it's not worth the 4,000 soul cost. I'm assuming Great Heal won't be worth it at 10k for only one use.

It's especially handy when you're phantoming, as you can use it to heal even though your estus is unavailable. It'll be the only way you get healed too, because hosts never pay enough attention to your health to fix you up. I'm guilty of this myself. It heals about as much as the default unupgraded estus. It takes awhile to cast though, so use it to patch yourself up between fights or give yourself some breathing room if it's your only recourse.

Why aren't there any souls signs/people willing to summon me for the capra demon fight? It seems unlikely that they're all SL 27+ and we just can't see each other.

frosteh
Apr 30, 2009

Chaitai posted:

At the start of the Undead Parish there is a boar boss that drops a mystery key. What is this key used for? I don't know where to go now.

Near where the boar originally is standing, a stairway leading downwards is to the right of him (your right). Follow it to victory.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

strategery posted:

Bias as it may be, but I ordered the PS3 CE from Amazon and got it on release day, so not everyone is getting shafted. v:shobon:v

The artbook is neat as hell, though I wish I hadn't looked at it, as it shows what I believe to be all the bosses.

Ankle-biter
Mar 10, 2004

Thank you Grizzlebees... I was hungry.
PLEASE no more posts with anything related to Amazon. We don't care and we can't help you!

For content...It took me about 220 cheap arrows with the long-bow to kill the undead dragon. For some reason shooting him in the wings does a little more damage. After getting the dragon scale he drops I spent about 2 hours getting the 10k souls it takes to upgrade the drake sword. I need more scales...does the red dragon drop one? If so, what's the best way to kill him?

nauggins
Jun 26, 2009

it's big money postin' baby boy

Agnostic watermelon posted:

My order shipped early last night.

I hope it's not a regular edition since it specifically says CE on the order :ohdear:

Naw, that was just a item that gives you two humanity ( just like the hero souls in the last game)

Ah, okay. Thanks. I kinda wish I had picked something different now! I forgot about those hero souls and I was hoping I had picked just a fluff item for my gift.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic
It seems that the only gifts that seem to be worth anything are the Masterkey and Pendant.

Not even sure about the pendant.

der juicen
Aug 11, 2005

Fuck haters
Welp, I don't think I can make it past the bull, which kinda blows. Guess it was the wrong game for me.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

I just got to the Blacksmith and am trying to deal with the big guy right after him. I'm a bandit and couldn't find a vendor to buy a bow and some arrows. Also, I've yet to see any sort of summon sign and I'm in human form :(

Maybe I'll start over. I'm not really liking the bandit. Pyro looks cool.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Oh god. Oh god.
"Current Status- Shipped
Estimated Delivery Date- Oct 7"

I have all Friday night & Saturday to myself. Fuckkkkk.

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

der juicen posted:

Welp, I don't think I can make it past the bull, which kinda blows. Guess it was the wrong game for me.

How did you make it through the tutorial if you can't kill the bull demon?

Ankle-biter
Mar 10, 2004

Sankis posted:

I just got to the Blacksmith and am trying to deal with the big guy right after him. I'm a bandit and couldn't find a vendor to buy a bow and some arrows. Also, I've yet to see any sort of summon sign and I'm in human form :(

Pyro is cool, but mainly for the starting stats (I'm playing one). The vendor that sells a bow and arrows is in the undead burg, near the first fire. There's two spear-men and a ton of barrels you need to break to get to him.

Wizard Whateley
Apr 12, 2002

I am a bootlicking scab who loves seeing people be paid less than living wages. If the workers don't like it they should just kill themselves. Let me know who is organizing so I can report them to management. I pine for the days of the Pinkertons.

der juicen posted:

I got past him by getting above him, throwing one of those attracting skulls on the ground beneath the bridge. (you find the skulls in that same area) The bull runs to the where the skull hit and you just jump off the ledge and one-shot him with your weapon. (the bull takes insane plummeting dmg)

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
So I booted up finally last night around 11pm when everyone else went to bed. Made my female Bandit character, and set off. In the Asylum, I was literally taking like 20 hits to kill the scrubby ghoul guys (not in the hallway, but later on.)
Yes, I had gotten an axe and a shield, but when I'd went to the inventory screen, "use" (or was it "equip" was struck through and wouldn't let me do anything.)

So I was like... "Dark Souls just bein' Dark Souls, right?" And I kept on. About half an hour of fighting and eventually dying later, I went to a different screen in inventory and saw I *WAS* able to Equip the Axe and Shield. Walked up to an armored ghoul and one-shotted him. I had to laugh. I was expecting things to be so hard, that I just kind of accepted my fate. Also, apparently I'd been fighting with a goddamn broken sword hilt.

Hah.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic
You can do it Juicen, we believe in you! :patriot:

If you can drop on him, it does help, it takes a good chunk of health off of him.

Edit: Since blocking isn't much of an option for you, try dropping on him, going under his legs to lure him away from the tower, rinse and repeat. Good luck.

Draven fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Oct 5, 2011

der juicen
Aug 11, 2005

Fuck haters

Vanguard Warden posted:

How did you make it through the tutorial if you can't kill the bull demon?

Luck I guess.

Smelly posted:

You can do it Juicen, we believe in you! :patriot:

If you can drop on him, it does help, it takes a good chunk of health off of him.

I drop on him now, I get him over halfway. I nearly killed him with Sorcerer by sniping but I ran out of snipes.

Ankle-biter
Mar 10, 2004

der juicen posted:

I got past him using a spear and shield. He was a major pain for me too. Just remember you can block all of his attacks and be OK as long as you have a 100% shield.

Alectai
Dec 31, 2008

It doesn't matter how long I live, I will never have a hat as dashing as this.

Sankis posted:

What big guy? I found a blacksmith in a jail-cell hiding from all the gribblies, but the only things I saw in the same area were generic mooks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Alectai posted:

What big guy? I found a blacksmith in a jail-cell hiding from all the gribblies, but the only things I saw in the same area were generic mooks.

The first blacksmith in the initial castle area. I went up the stairs in the opening after the tutorial, if that matters. Past him is a giant dude made of stone or something.

• Locked thread