Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dickweasel Alpha
Feb 8, 2011

Mod Secrets #614 - Experto Crede is the one who bought most of those frog avatars
Oh god. I'm at the Undead Burg. I had a bit of trouble with it at first but I'm feeling a bit better about everything. Just tried to progress further, and I found a ledge I could fall off of to get lower. So I did, and died because I glitched on the ledge below it and slipped off. It took me killing a bunch of skeleton dudes to get there, so I wasn't really happy. I did it again, died again, then decided to maybe gently caress off about falling off ledges. So instead of going up, I went down, and saw a big-rear end dude with a huge sword and huge shield chilling. I thought "teehee backstab time!" and snuck up behind him, screwed up the backstab, and got my poo poo absolutely rocked. I couldn't even evade far back enough to drink some health potion.

So now I'm going to sneak back down there, grab my souls, and take the upper path, this time without trying to fall down any ledges, until I find a bonfire so I can go be an idiot with ledges and huge knights without having to fight two dozen hollows to get there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!
Been trying to download the soundtrack ALL DAY, Just got kicked out, apparently it's been 24 hours since I entered the code.

However, now the redemption page actually has a "Returning Members" option, added today. So now I'm trying yet again to download a 200 MB file. I wanted to get the Making Of movies, but those are also 200 mb each and they can't handle that download.

At least now I'm getting a little over 100k connection, Vs. all day up till now 1-3k.

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

QUACKING PERMABANNED! READ HERE

~SMcD

der juicen posted:

I'm still in beginners knight armor and an axe I picked up along the way. I guess there isn't much to find in the burg.

You'd be surprised.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Okay, so I made it back to the Undead Parish for the guy who sells purge stones for 3000 souls instead of 6000. Thing is, I'm suddenly able to request absolution, and it would cost me 45000 souls. What does this mean? Have I done something wrong to piss off my covenant or something?

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

The boss after you ring the second bell is an rear end in a top hat. I have no idea how to dodge that fire slam thing he does. I start to roll the second he pulls back but I still get hit by it.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!

big duck equals goose posted:

-Thief class sucks. Do not pick it unless you want to be violated over and over.

I started as a thief and now I'm rocking a scimitar and wooden shield, poo poo's great. No idea what you're smoking, class means basically nothing once you sink about an hour into the game - EXCEPT the thief, considering they get the Master Key as a class component.

Also black leather is pretty sweet as far as light armour goes.

Litch991
Sep 14, 2005
Is there a guide for where to put stats depending on playstyle? I keep thinking I'm going to gently caress up my character.

big duck equals goose
Nov 7, 2006

by XyloJW

doomfunk posted:

I started as a thief and now I'm rocking a scimitar and wooden shield, poo poo's great. No idea what you're smoking, class means basically nothing once you sink about an hour into the game - EXCEPT the thief, considering they get the Master Key as a class component.

Also black leather is pretty sweet as far as light armour goes.

Master key can be gifted and it's not fun to miss a parry leading to a 90%health drop for early game. Ask my new thief about getting stun locked to death every five seconds.

Aloofa
Apr 24, 2010

Shlapintogan posted:

Okay, so I made it back to the Undead Parish for the guy who sells purge stones for 3000 souls instead of 6000. Thing is, I'm suddenly able to request absolution, and it would cost me 45000 souls. What does this mean? Have I done something wrong to piss off my covenant or something?

Whoa whoa whoa, where is this guy? I have 6k souls saved up right now.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Aloofa posted:

Whoa whoa whoa, where is this guy? I have 6k souls saved up right now.
In the bell tower on the top of the cathedral.

And yeah, I think if you can request absolution then you have done something against your covenant. It's not like the covenants have an instruction manual though, you find out that you have wronged them by people coming to kill you.

Morbleu
Jun 13, 2006
I'm level 15 and before I did anything else (just killed the boar in the Parish) I wanted to do two things.

1.)Get the drat bonfire behind the dragon.
2.) Kill one of those dark knight guys

So 1 was easy, I shot the dragon and sprinted between it's feet...not sure why I couldn't figure that out on my own.

Dark Knight wasn't too bad but the first 4 times I got stuck between him and the steps and he just raped my face off. When I did kill him on attempt 6 I took no damage, and the fight consisted of me backstabbing him twice with my drake sword and he died. Got a titanite shard but that's it.

der juicen
Aug 11, 2005

Fuck haters

-To evade the dragon and get to the bell tower faster, hide behind one of the sidewalls near the stairs for about 30 seconds. You will see it fly up from the tower doorway and try to land next to you. Run along one of the sides and hold the shield up. It will fly back and breath on you one more time, but if you have your shield up it should be enough for even the most squishy heroes. Hit the bonfire, enjoy not having to do a long rear end walk to the blacksmith.

I might try this, though i'll have to risk my 01 in humanity. :(

invalid
Aug 1, 2005

by I Ozma Myself

WebDO posted:

I know people said it's cheap, but holy poo poo dive bombing the Taurus Demon with a battle axe is perhaps the most satisfying moment ever. I wish I could use the same technique on the Tower Knight or Adjudicator in Demon's Souls now...:allears:

I don't think it's cheap at all. I've spent almost three hours giving this ago thinking, "Hey, what's the longest, most pointy thing I could stick down this jerk's face?" I went with all my long thrusting weapons, a spear, now all I had left was a battle axe. I did more damage than anything, but I'm still stuck in front of those steps while he bashes me to death.

I know people are saying not to roll a thief as their first character, but that's what I went with for Demon's Souls, and I really, really miss dodging around and getting insta kills from behind.

I'm rerolling my knight to do this ASAP.

and any tips for that drat Taurus

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

I played as a thief in Demon's Souls and never used a shield throughout the entire game, or spells for that matter. I found rolling around a lot was the key to victory, and I hope it works the same way here. I did find the game a lot easier on my second playthrough as a knight though. I didn't intend to do a 'challenge run' its just my little buckler was useless so I ditched it.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
Hm, there's a big mill thing that takes me to Drake Valley, but goddamn if that place isn't hard...I just want to get back to Firelink...nevermind there was a key. duh

Darth Windu fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Oct 5, 2011

Dickweasel Alpha
Feb 8, 2011

Mod Secrets #614 - Experto Crede is the one who bought most of those frog avatars
Finally made it up the staircase! "Hey look a door I can open with my Master Key! I wonder what's at the bottom of this spiraling staiwwwAWWAAAUUUUUGGGHHHH :gonk:

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
What's the large number in the circle next to my health and stamina bar? I never noticed it before...then it was a 1, now it's a 2...is it my humanity?

der juicen
Aug 11, 2005

Fuck haters
I just saw how easy it is to get the drake sword. I hope I can do this, aiming is.. lb?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
The master key sounds like a recipe for pure horror to me.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

invalid posted:

and any tips for that drat Taurus

There's really no other tips than what people have been saying over and over again. Do the thing you did to the tutorial boss. Wait until he steps away, run back up immediately, and repeat. It takes three hits from doing it this way to get him dead.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Samurai Sanders posted:

The master key sounds like a recipe for pure horror to me.

What, you don't like the idea of fighting the Hydra before the first boss?

Does anyone know how to attune the same spell to multiple slots. I have 3 slots and my only spell is fireball, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to put it in more slots.

Agnostic watermelon
Jul 1, 2009

I'm a lil' Brony!
I didn't know the CE didn't come with a physical guide :(

flog montresor
May 10, 2008
Do enemies scale up with your level so as to make grinding pointless/detrimental? I kinda wish I had more stamina, so I'm thinking about just taking a break from progression through the levels to just grind a bit of Endurance.

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007
I'm tired of following my dreams, I'm just gonna ask where they're goin' and meet up with 'em there.

Is there any point in buying other keys as a thief since you have the master key? Not entirely clear on what it does.

Also, holy hell I'm getting my rear end kicked a ton.

Edit: Also, should I be trying for heavier armor than my leather? Considering getting chainmail at the vendor but I have no idea if it'd actually end up detrimental.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.
So I reloaded after a death and I noticed I lost my MP soapstone that writes messages. Can I get another one from Solaire?

ireladd posted:

He gives you the white soapstone, the merchant in the Undead Burg gives you the orange one, and yes, you can buy another.

Duh.

Monolith. fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Oct 5, 2011

Rothgil
May 12, 2008
I just had one of those D_Souls moments.

I had just gotten to the dragon in undead burg and died losing quite a bit of souls and humanity. On my way back I discovered I could jump off a bride into a ledge where there was some treasure, said treasure was guarded by a black knight that was strong enough to kill me in one hit. So I rolled past him and started a mad dash to the bridge in the hopes that he would stop chasing me after a while.

That resulted in me pulling half the level and now I had a giant knight and an army of skeletons running after me. I ran into a tower and shut the door giving me long enough to see what it was that the knight was guarding. A ring that boosts my defense when my health gets low, I equip it. At that moment the knight busts open the door and I went back to running, this time hoping the dragon could possibly take care of them and not kill me in the process.

So I reach the bridge, run over my previous bloodstain recovering my old stuff. The dragon starts breathing fire, hits everything on the bridge but that ring I equipped earlier left me with 1 HP, enough to roll down some stairs and heal myself.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

So, I took on the Capra Demon

I watched a video guide of it and thought "Wow that looks like a joke."

What happens to me? While I'm entering the fog I get stuck in a corner and can't move at all, his first attack completely kills my stamina and his dogs gnaw at me constantly, not allowing me to move at all.

To make matters worse on my way to him I got killed by those loving annoying assassins and lost like 4000 souls.

ireladd
Apr 17, 2007

The.GreyWolf posted:

So I reloaded after a death and I noticed I lost my MP soapstone that writes messages. Can I get another one from Solaire?

He gives you the white soapstone, the merchant in the Undead Burg gives you the orange one, and yes, you can buy another.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

flog montresor posted:

Do enemies scale up with your level so as to make grinding pointless/detrimental? I kinda wish I had more stamina, so I'm thinking about just taking a break from progression through the levels to just grind a bit of Endurance.

I think that as you go up in soul level, you get less souls from things...so say originally got got 50 souls from something, many levels later it might only be 20...but I'm not positive.

Aloofa
Apr 24, 2010

Bobnumerotres posted:

So, I took on the Capra Demon

I watched a video guide of it and thought "Wow that looks like a joke."

What happens to me? While I'm entering the fog I get stuck in a corner and can't move at all, his first attack completely kills my stamina and his dogs gnaw at me constantly, not allowing me to move at all.

To make matters worse on my way to him I got killed by those loving annoying assassins and lost like 4000 souls.

While he's charging you move to the left. When he jumps toward you dodge right. Take care of the mutts first. Having help makes it really easy as well.

Nalk
Jul 13, 2009

I heard about you!
Are there any countermeasures that can be taken against the poison swamp in blightown besides the purple flowers?

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

So I found a guy trapped in barrel in the sewers. I tried to break him out and uhh apparently that counts as attacking him and now hes pissed. Did I just gently caress myself over?

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
how the hell do i jump

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

If you're dashing and you release and tap circle again you'll leap forward.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
my ring of sacrifice thanks you

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.

Ovaltine Jenkins posted:

So I found a guy trapped in barrel in the sewers. I tried to break him out and uhh apparently that counts as attacking him and now hes pissed. Did I just gently caress myself over?

That was probably the pyromancer NPC, so you are only screwed if you care about pyromancy. You are supposed to roll into barrels to break them without harming the person inside. Supposedly the guy around the first bell can make hostile NPC's not hostile anymore, but it is incredibly expensive.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

der juicen posted:

Welp, break time, then I shall hit the parishes. I got close to taking out that metal boar, but I got cornered and squashed after I fell off throwing firebombs on it.
The boar is laughably easy if you hide in the pillars on the right, by the stairs that lead up toward the archers. You can stand behind that flame, then tap B to backstep once and he'll get caught in the posts, and burn himself a ton. Rinse, repeat!

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

The Moon Monster posted:

What, you don't like the idea of fighting the Hydra before the first boss?

Does anyone know how to attune the same spell to multiple slots. I have 3 slots and my only spell is fireball, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to put it in more slots.

Buy more copies of Fireball to attune it to multiple spots.

So I just had a pretty great surprise when I returned to the Undead Asylum Not only is it harder, I score 3k souls and go to level up, get owned by 2 guys that I forgot respawned. Then I go to nonchalantly pick up my corpse, and the floor breaks. :aaaaa:

I NEED SCISSORS
Dec 6, 2004

Ask me about "probable reason" or whatever you call that thing.
Hey guys-

I've gotten a lot of awesome info, and stories, from this thread. I figured the least I could do was reply back and share some of the tips I've learned, and give some advice as far as "Where do I go now?"

Below is a bunch of random info I've put together that would have been helpful for me on my first play through. I tried very hard to keep things vague, and only include things that you may not be obvious (There is a shortcut/npc/bonfire there, etc.). I also spoilered inside the spoilers to try and give only the most basic information out, so I hope that doesn't ruin the quality.

If you guys think this is helpful, I'll definitely write up some more tips or clean this up a bit, so let me know what you think.

Firewatcher Souls

DO NOT CONSUME THESE!! These can be used to upgrade the Estus flask so it restores more health on use.

Some good early items/npc's

Fire Res Shield: Dragoncrest Shield from Valley of the Drakes. If you have the master key, go down the steps to New Londo Ruins (immediately accessible from the starting area), make a right before getting to the water and find a route down into the Valley of the Drakes. If you run out and make a left, following the cliff, you will eventually reach a dead dragon with some goodies in it’s claws. BE QUICK.

Magic Res shield: Once you have the elevator turned on, you can climb the tower in Firelink to get back to Undead Asylum. Exploring here you will find an enemy you can kill that will drop a shield, the Crest Shield.

Strength Sword: The Drake Sword! Shoot off the tail of the dragon from under the bridge to receive this.

Dex Spear: The infamous Winged Spear! Run past all of the skeletons in the graveyard and up the hill to find it near a tombstone.

Faith Sword: Astoras Sword, found in the Valley of the Drakes in the same are as the shield above.

First Pyromancer Trainer: Found in the 3rd or 4th area. He is found early in The Depths. Also, Pyromancy does not scale with int like sorcery.

First Sorcerer Trainer: Found in the 2nd or 3rd area. He is found in Lower Undead Burg, you need to open the door with a key sold at the merchant in Undead Burg.

First Blacksmith: Found in 2nd area. He’s in Undead Parish, to the side of the church. I recommend buying the repair box early, it is invaluable. Running back to the smith from some of the later areas with a broken weapon is very very difficult.

Area Specific Tips

The "areas" are given mnemonics to not give away the name of the location, though they should be obvious for anyone who has entered that area (UA = Undead Asylum).

Area UA: Undead Asylum
+ You can return here later in the game
+ You cannot get the treasure on the unreachable steps until later
+ The birds nest is the equivalent of the bird from Demon Souls: give it items in exchange for other items

Area FS: Firelink Shrine
+ There are three ways out of here at the start- Up the hill to Undead Burg, down the steps to New Londo Ruins, and into the Graveyard/Catacombs. The recommended path is up the hill.
+ There is a staircase that leads to an NPC for miracles, as well as a shortcut you can’t use yet, and a bunch of chests
+ There is an npc down the steps that you can give Firewatcher Souls to for upgrading the estus flask

Area UB: Undead Burg
+ Near the first bonfire in undead berg, there is a section with two spear knights. Break the boxes there and go down to find an NPC merchant (don’t forget about the key he sells!) I recommend buying a 100% physical resist shield (heater shield) if you don’t have one.
+ The first boss is weak to lightning (use the resin if you have it). Also, there is a ladder behind the door where you enter that area. You can run up it before he reaches you and use a plunging attack for some good damage. Firebombs help.
+ Make sure to talk to the NPC to the right down the stairs after the boss
+ Don’t forget about the door right in front of you when you get down the stairs (can be opened later)
+ In order to progress, you need to run across the bridge and down the staircase on the right side of the bridge. It’s possible to make this run.
+ Just under the bridge is a shortcut to the bonfire, make sure to kick down the ladder before you jump down

Area UP: Undead Parish
+ You can kill the beast here using either fire or a plunging attack (check out the walkway above it!)
+ Before going inside the church, go along the outside and down the long road to the stairs. There is a bonfire and a very helpful ally.
+ On your way up, you should find a key which will open a door you’ve already passed.
+ On my first play through, I didn’t enter the church because I assumed the enemy would kill me. He’s tough, but killable. Lure him outside.
+ Make sure to activate the shortcut to Firelink from inside the church before venturing upward.
+ You should be able to summon an ally to help with the boss of this area.
+ Boss Spoilers:
The Bell Gargoyle(s). You can chop off the first ones tail. Also, consider using the fire shield I mentioned earlier, it will make this fight MUCH easier.

At this point, you really have two routes-

Area LUB: Lower Undead Burg
+ To get here, open the door right before the bridge where the dragon is. Also, there should be an immediate shortcut as soon as you arrive back to a bonfire.
+ There is an NPC you can free here. The key is available at a vendor you’ve met.
+ Before venturing through the white light (boss), it’s worthwhile to go down the stairs to the right. There is a door to another area which isn’t open yet (don’t forget it) and a shortcut.
+ If you open the shortcut there is an NPC merchant along the way
+ Boss Spoilers:
Capra Demon: I had a lot of trouble with this boss. I suggest killing the dogs first by running up the stairs and at least keeping them on one side of you. If you’re having trouble with the boss, you should make the run from Firelink (using the above shortcut) instead of the one in Undead Burg as you get 10 estus flask usages.

Area DG: Darkwood Garden
+ The first enemies are bushes. When they lean back, they will leap forward and hit your past your shield for a ton of damage. Keep your distance.
+ Although there is a very long winding path downward early on, that is really meant for later. You can explore if you want, but it is difficult.
+ There is a hidden bonfire near the tomb, hit the brick wall to reveal it.
+ There is another route down which leads to a white light. There are some trees you can attack here, one opens a path to another part of the garden.
+ The next white light you encounter will lead to a boss fight, so be prepared.
+ Boss Spoilers:
Moonlit Butterfly: I found it’s possible to sprint to the boss from the bonfire without fighting anything. It’s helpful if you have the Magic Resistance shield mentioned above. You don’t need ranged attacks to fight it, eventually it lands and lets you hit it.

From here, you have a few routes, though this is what I have been following and I recommend-

Area TD: The Depths
+ There is an NPC here- don’t use your weapon, use your roll to free them.
+ Once you get in a little lower, WATCH YOUR FEET. DO NOT JUMP DOWN ANY HOLES. You can jump over some of them.
+ More specifically, there is a certain type of enemy which curses you (it looks like poison, but it's much much worse). When the bar reaches full, you die and resurrect with half health until you cure it. To figure out how to cure it, read the first post in the thread which has some details.
+ There is a bonfire a few levels down, make sure you don’t run past it. It's in the hall with the ceiling sludge.
+ There is a shortcut down just after the bonfire when you’re on the metal grates, break the boxes to find it.
+ Boss Spoilers:
Gaping Dragon- This was a pretty hard fight, you don’t need to fight this boss now. You can chop off it’s tail for a weapon. The best advice I have is to try and exploit the AI for when it smashes into the ground, and then charges forward.

Area BT: Blighttown
+ There are actually two entrances here. I am thinking the most commonly found one is from The Depths, but there is also one that I found easier from Firelink->New Londo Ruins->Valley of Drakes->Blighttown
+ There is an elevator here that will bring you between upper and lower Blighttown
+ The black leather armor from Lower Undead Burg was helpful for me here. I would also recommend farming Darkwood Garden plants for a bit to get some poison removing moss.
+ There are two bonfires here, one on the upper levels, and one down in the marsh.
+ There are two ways out of the marsh to progress, one on each side. The expected way is QD and the “secret” way is TGH

Area QD: Quelaag’s Domain
+ After the boss, there is a secret wall somewhere. Do not kill anything behind that wall, they are NPC’s.
+ There isn’t really much else here. There is another area after this that I explored and found a sick black robe, but got slaughtered immediately.

After that area, it should hopefully be obvious where to go next. Also, depending on the NPC’s you encountered, a certain NPC may be missing from Firelink Shrine, don’t worry, this isn’t permanent.

Area SF: Sens Fortress
+ This place is between Darkwood Garden and the Undead Parish, by the blacksmith.
+ There are very many traps here, move slowly with your shield up and look for weird plates on the floor and holes in the wall.
+ This is the first area where I felt my weapon was ineffective. Luckily, a powerful weapon without stat bonuses the lightning spear is available in this area.
+ Once you get higher, there are a lot of places that you can jump to, including an NPC you can buy things from and a key to a shortcut. You can also kill the giants.
+ I thought the boss here was trivial comparable to the fortress itself.

Area AL: Anor Londo
+ Before engaging anything, light the fireplace (left at the 4 way split). Also, if you go back to where you were dropped off, you can fly back to Sens.
+ After fighting the mini-boss near the elevator down, I was stumped for a very long time on where to go. There is an arch on the left side of that walkway that you can cross to get to another building.
+ There is no turning back from the painting.
+ There is one hidden wall that leads to some sweet armor early inside the main building (on the floor with the second bonfire).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Master key can be gifted and it's not fun to miss a parry leading to a 90%health drop for early game. Ask my new thief about getting stun locked to death every five seconds.
You don't have to parry, you can hold your shield up with LB and stab from behind it with a rapier or spear. When you're low on stamina, roll away.

• Locked thread