Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MMania
May 7, 2008
I guess I'm just lucky, Anor Londo has messages every five feet (some actually useful), and there were a half dozen blue phantoms waiting at the base of the big stairs in the two minutes it took to get one to connect. Unfortunately I got knocked off the last ledge leading to the castle as my buddy was polishing off one of the assholes with spear-bows. Got invaded twice already, in my short time as human, as well. One fool who had no idea what he was doing and a pyro who snuck up on me and did 90% of my life with his first spell. He blocked my one attack.

Oh, and Lordvessel obtained! Off to fail killing Seath and go tackle the ghost city! He has a huge AOE curse attack.

Everyone who's having trouble with the gargoyles, see if you have a shield with a decent fire block percent. Makes circling behind them as they breath much safer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.

Nigulus Rex posted:

I'm also terrified of getting from the Burg to the blacksmith. I'm going to try and go backwards to the firelink, take the elevator up and then try and make my way outside to the blacksmith...if I die after farming 20k souls I'm going to cry.

Haha there's only like 3 fodder enemies between Firelink and the blacksmith. I think you will be fine.

bobby2times
Jan 9, 2010

Mr. Crow posted:

Jesus christ has anyone beaten the Stray Demon? I fall down and then he immediately does a room wide AOE/Unblockable explosion that outright kills me.

I beat him at sl18. Make sure you break the floor farthest away from him. Once you get his pattern down, it should be cake.

Garin
Oct 18, 2007

Kick Jonathan

Funkmaster General posted:

It doesn't filter out your friends. I was able to see my friend's ghost running past me the other night (which we confirmed through private chat). However, it's based on P2P and it depends on how "close" you are on "the network," whatever that means, so it will be entirely impossible to group up with some people.

If it's closeness then that closeness is rather strangely implemented. I've been grouping almost exclusively with Japanese players with the occasional xXDARKCLOWNXx dude from the states.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Tobias Grant posted:

I beat that guy without him even touching me :smug:. Just retreat up one floor so you can have some room to maneuver.

Yeah, he seems clumsy enough that if you can just do some appreciable damage it wouldn't be so bad. Were you using upgraded weapons at all? I was still pretty fresh. I think a little shuffling of equipment to make sure I'm moving full speed would also help.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

Nigulus Rex posted:

I'm also terrified of getting from the Burg to the blacksmith. I'm going to try and go backwards to the firelink, take the elevator up and then try and make my way outside to the blacksmith...if I die after farming 20k souls I'm going to cry.

This is definitely the safest route. Assuming you cleared out the big black mace knight, you'll only face three enemies post-elevator. The toughest spot is going to be right as you come out of the aqueduct with the rat. There will be three or four guys standing there waiting for you on top of those stairs. As long as you're ready for them and are careful not to fall off, you'll be fine. If you DO die, you still have a second chance so I'm sure it won't be a problem as long as you don't try to take the taurus demon/bridge route.

Morbleu
Jun 13, 2006

CaptainPoopsock posted:

I am pretty sure these Gargoyles are impossible at level 15ish or so. :( The first one I can chip away at slowly, but once the second one comes and spams me with fire forget about it. Running around with my starter scimitar and a spear, and these are doing absolutely dick to the gargoyles. What's a better weapon for this point in the game?

I did it at 17, granted I had the drake sword. It only took me 3 tries (I was greedy with my combo and tried to kill them when I should've been running around). I had enough endurance that a full endurance bar combo from behind them (so I didn't get hit) could take the drake from 1/2 to dead, so I did that as soon as he hit half so I didn't have to deal with 2 of them at once.

This is definitely the safest route. Assuming you cleared out the big black mace knight, you'll only face three enemies post-elevator. The toughest spot is going to be right as you come out of the aqueduct with the rat. There will be three or four guys standing there waiting for you on top of those stairs. As long as you're ready for them and are careful not to fall off, you'll be fine. If you DO die, you still have a second chance so I'm sure it won't be a problem as long as you don't try to take the taurus demon/bridge route.

Yeah, it's all cleared out. The area you talked about is funny because I died there probably 10 times when I started. I had no prior experience with Demon Souls so I wasn't sure what I was doing. I've died so many times learning the ropes of this game that firelink through the Burg I could do asleep. Thanks for the tips though. Hopefully I can figure out that cliff farming thing.

Morbleu fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Oct 6, 2011

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Garin posted:

If it's closeness then that closeness is rather strangely implemented. I've been grouping almost exclusively with Japanese players with the occasional xXDARKCLOWNXx dude from the states.

Closeness on the network apparently != physical closeness, which is why I put those terms in quotes, because I have no idea what they mean in real-person talk.

Tobias Grant
May 16, 2009

Lucky for you, I'm a dog lover.

Lotish posted:

Yeah, he seems clumsy enough that if you can just do some appreciable damage it wouldn't be so bad. Were you using upgraded weapons at all? I was still pretty fresh. I think a little shuffling of equipment to make sure I'm moving full speed would also help.

I had a +6 halberd which I use two-handed and was doing about 68 damage per hit, IIRC. I could safely get about 2 hits in every time he attacked.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

bobby2times posted:

I beat him at sl18. Make sure you break the floor farthest away from him. Once you get his pattern down, it should be cake.

This was the trick, thanks. Before you have no time to do anything.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

That's the weird thing about telecommunications. Everything gets bumped through relays and sometimes the things right next to you are what take the longest to get back.

dongsweep
Nov 28, 2004

~ P * R * I * D * E ~
So I am guessing after killing the first boss on the bridge you are supposed to essentially turn back? I feel like I am missing something, I got the stone, went a few feet forward and nearly died to the other boss.

RyanManRules
May 31, 2006

Lure it into charging into the fire, and/or drop attack it from the ledge above.

:doh: I need to get back into the "souls" mentality.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
So I killed the Gargoyles, rang the bell, killed the Butterfly & Havel, where should I go to next?

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

RyanManRules posted:

:doh: I need to get back into the "souls" mentality.

You can also stab it in the rear end. The tail isn't armored. Attack the head first for a reward, though.

Megafunk
Oct 19, 2010

YEAH!
If you don't have/want the drake sword you can also get them with the halberd out front of the church thing. It is probably better than you starting weapon. And fire bombs can help with damage when the second one comes. Also, consider being human so that you can summon knight Solair to help out.

e: holy moley I meant to reply to the guy asking about gargoyles a few posts up, this thread is really fast.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Guliani is HOT posted:

So I killed the Gargoyles, rang the bell, killed the Butterfly & Havel, where should I go to next?

Through the door near the bridge, on the side with the guy who gave you the white stone. You picked up the key (hopefully) next to the gate behind the boar.

Garin
Oct 18, 2007

Kick Jonathan

Closeness on the network apparently != physical closeness, which is why I put those terms in quotes, because I have no idea what they mean in real-person talk.

So you posted about their grand scheme of things and then said that you have no idea while mentioning before how something would ruin the mood, yes? They already have specific invasions built into the game, all I would really care for is a stone/sign you can drop so that your friends can see it regardless of your strange internet location on the network that you regale about.

Wang
Apr 10, 2003

dance dance ferret revolution

Gargoyles are really easy if you can upgrade a halberd and then use some of the resin that makes it electrified, after dying numerous times i did this once and beat it in 2 minutes..

Ruff
Aug 24, 2007

So I got to the Firelink Shrine and decided to attack the knight that tells you that you have to ring the two bells. Now he keeps killing me over and over again and chasing me. Do I need to start over? I can't apologize to him or anything, he is way too tough for my new character to fight and he seems to not ever stop chasing or attacking me. I'll start over if I have to I suppose and learn to not just kill everything I see.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Garin posted:

So you posted about their grand scheme of things and then said that you have no idea while mentioning before how something would ruin the mood, yes? They already have specific invasions built into the game, all I would really care for is a stone/sign you can drop so that your friends can see it regardless of your strange internet location on the network that you regale about.

It is not my opinion that playing with friends would ruin the mood of the game. It is From Software's opinion. I guess I didn't make that bit clear enough. I understand what you want, and frankly I'm right there with you. It isn't an oversight, though, they explicitly decided not to do it.

QQmore
Jan 10, 2010
Curious if the 10 SLs +/- is still in effect for invading/assisting.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Ruff posted:

So I got to the Firelink Shrine and decided to attack the knight that tells you that you have to ring the two bells. Now he keeps killing me over and over again and chasing me. Do I need to start over? I can't apologize to him or anything, he is way too tough for my new character to fight and he seems to not ever stop chasing or attacking me. I'll start over if I have to I suppose and learn to not just kill everything I see.

If you attacked him literally as soon as you arrived, and aren't strong enough to fight him, you're probably best off restarting, I guess. You can eventually make him forgive you, and AFAIK he isn't important for anything other than giving you bits and pieces of backstory every so often, but if he murders you as you spawn that could be problematic.

Vallens
Jan 27, 2004

Get back in line you drunken fool!
It seems like there should be a shortcut back to the Burg or Fireshrine from the Depths bonfire right before the boss. Am I wrong?

Edit: If you find the Pyromancer there is a break in the wall before you get to him that you can get back to the Burg through.

Vallens fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Oct 6, 2011

dongsweep
Nov 28, 2004

~ P * R * I * D * E ~
So I joined someone else's game as a white phantom to return the favor of someone else helping me and we got to the Minotaur and he jumped off the ledge after three or four hits, killed him completely. Easiest boss fight ever.

RyanManRules
May 31, 2006

Ruff posted:

Just keep on parrying, I beat him in the beginning because I didn't like his attitude. I'm glad he's dead.

Ruff
Aug 24, 2007

If you attacked him literally as soon as you arrived, and aren't strong enough to fight him, you're probably best off restarting, I guess. You can eventually make him forgive you, and AFAIK he isn't important for anything other than giving you bits and pieces of backstory every so often, but if he murders you as you spawn that could be problematic.

Ok thanks, lesson learned I suppose.

RyanManRules posted:

Just keep on parrying, I beat him in the beginning because I didn't like his attitude. I'm glad he's dead.

I shall give it another 15 minutes. I never played demon souls or any game like this so it is a rude awakening.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Ruff posted:

I made the same mistake, it's possible to kill him though. If you want to do it you can spend a few deaths just learning his attack animations. Once you do that his attacks are really easy to parry. It's probably faster to kill him than to run through the tutorial with a new character but not by a lot (the tutorial is like 5 minutes long max your second time through it though so this isn't as bad as it sounds).

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

Through the door near the bridge, on the side with the guy who gave you the white stone. You picked up the key (hopefully) next to the gate behind the boar.

Thanks

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

They really do seem to taunt you into attacking every friendly NPC, don't they? I've yet to run across one who didn't talk down to me and/or have the world's most annoying laugh after every single sentence.

Also they all keep saying "eh," but none of them know how to loving pronounce it.

HOW ABOUT CHECKING MY WARES, EEE?

Morbleu
Jun 13, 2006
What level are some of you guys later in the game? I'm debating on whether or not to leave endurance around 20-25 in favor of some of the ridiculously higher str weapons but I don't really know what level I can expect to be at.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
The knight at the fire is kind of a dick but the only reason I attacked him was that I read a sign on the floor that urged me to do so and didn't realize it wasn't a tutorial sign (it was the first player-written sign I had seen).

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Do the area of effect spells have friendly fire? The Chaos Fireball causes a pool of lava to stay under the target for a second, so I'm wonder if that'll be a problem when I get summoned as a phantom.

Edit: Nope, it does not. As the Capra Demon felt getting four of them in the face

Jimbot fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Oct 6, 2011

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Ugh. The CE site is still having problems with downloads. I've tried to download the miniguide five times now and it's stopped short every time.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.
Wow, the skeletons in the catacombs are so demoralizing.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

dongsweep posted:

So I am guessing after killing the first boss on the bridge you are supposed to essentially turn back? I feel like I am missing something, I got the stone, went a few feet forward and nearly died to the other boss.

Look at your surroundings. It's a puzzle.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

What does the Big knight with the mace and the big shield in the undead parish drop? I killed him right as he killed me, and I'm wondering what I missed out on.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Cake Attack posted:

What does the Big knight with the mace and the big shield in the undead parish drop? I killed him right as he killed me, and I'm wondering what I missed out on.

For me, he just dropped a titanite shard. All of those knights have for me so far. Others report that they drop their weapons and shields, though, so I assume there's a chance that he dropped one or both of those as well.

Unknown_PC
Oct 9, 2002

What do you mean it's not done!?

Jimbot posted:

Oh, so it's infinite? I know I saw one selling them for 5k souls. Where would be the best place to farm souls just after defeating Queelag? That fight really showed me that I need to level up some and enhance my equipment. Would mind getting Chaos Storm either because Chaos Fireball is simply awesome.

Yes, there is another NPC that sells humanities for 10,000 and 20,000 souls if you manage to get him out from Giant Graveyard. He is Patches from the area.

For the best soul farming place, it's the Darkwood Garden area after unlocking the door by buying the 20,000 soul item. You can refer to this video on how to farm souls in that area

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Cake Attack posted:

You didn't miss it, it will still be there when you get back.

• Locked thread