Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ireladd
Apr 17, 2007

Guzwar posted:

The Fire Brigade has disappeared from LEGO Shop@Home :ohdear: Looks like it's the next set to be discontinued, so if any of you have an unopened one, lock it away and let the value grow.

http://shop.lego.com/en-US/Fire-Brigade-10197?CMP=KAC-SAHCSNA&HQS=10197

But it will indeed be gone very soon. I'm guessing November. That's when Green Grocer disappeared.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Fred Meyer (a Northwest US chain) is having a big toy sale, with most things BOGO 50% or Buy 2 Get 1 Free. Pretty much everything but Lego, but they do have BOGO50% on board games, where the Lego games are located. It doesn't list them in the exclusions, either, so I'm guessing they're allowed. I didn't buy anything, since I'm going to try and wait for holiday deals, but I came close to getting a couple of Heroica sets, even though I have no one to play with.

Guzwar
Feb 21, 2006
Everything's coming up Milhouse!

ireladd posted:

http://shop.lego.com/en-US/Fire-Brigade-10197?CMP=KAC-SAHCSNA&HQS=10197

But it will indeed be gone very soon. I'm guessing November. That's when Green Grocer disappeared.

:psyduck: How did this not show up since yesterday? I scoured every single section and it wasn't there.

Welp, time to buy it and Van Alden myself.

EDIT: Thanks for the link, my good man.

ireladd
Apr 17, 2007

Guzwar posted:

:psyduck: How did this not show up since yesterday? I scoured every single section and it wasn't there.

Welp, time to buy it and Van Alden myself.

EDIT: Thanks for the link, my good man.

My pleasure! Enjoy the Fire Brigade and working toward getting them all.

Man I wish they'd re-release Cafe Corner.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

ireladd posted:

I wanna see the secondary gouging market cry also. Would be amazing.

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

THIS CONVERSATION IS NONPRODUCTIVE!

ireladd posted:

My pleasure! Enjoy the Fire Brigade and working toward getting them all.

Don't forget the market street set. While it "technically" wasn't part of the modular line, it is a modular building and is unofficially considered part of the series.

http://www.brickset.com/detail/?Set=10190-1

Last year I nearly didn't get the Green Grocer set, I thankfully managed to track down a Lego store in the middle of no where that had a few left. This year I picked up the Fire Brigade set early, plus the whole double VIP points in October was nice. The emerald night is also due to be retired this year, so if you want one now is the time to get it.

Veeb0rg fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Oct 5, 2011

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!
My Walmart had a display of series 5(?) minifigs that caught my eye. Apparently someone had gotten tired of feeling the packages because several of them had been cut open and carefully taped shut. :psyduck: Not sure how they were just left on the shelf and not at least moved to the clearance aisle.

I grabbed a couple and ended up with a gangster and an aerobic girl, nobody seemed to be missing any parts or anything. I had sort of hoped that I would end up with a Frankenstein mashup of random bits, but oh well.

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

Guzwar posted:

The Fire Brigade has disappeared from LEGO Shop@Home :ohdear: Looks like it's the next set to be discontinued, so if any of you have an unopened one, lock it away and let the value grow.
They are still available in germany....150€, about 200$. Shall i get one as an investment?
What about tower bridge, grand emporium and pet shop? I really don't want to buy all four for 900$, but maybe 2 of them?

ireladd
Apr 17, 2007

djfooboo posted:

I wanna see the secondary gouging market cry also. Would be amazing.

God I'd love that. Like with the Maersk sets where people were selling blue construction hats for INSANE prices, and yes, they were being bought. But with the ship and the train out now it has completely bottomed out. :)

quote:

Don't forget the market street set. While it "technically" wasn't part of the modular line, it is a modular building and is unofficially considered part of the series.

http://www.brickset.com/detail/?Set=10190-1

Last year I nearly didn't get the Green Grocer set, I thankfully managed to track down a Lego store in the middle of no where that had a few left. This year I picked up the Fire Brigade set early, plus the whole double VIP points in October was nice. The emerald night is also due to be retired this year, so if you want one now is the time to get it.

Ah yes, Market Street. It's kind of a messy design, especially compared to the official modular line, but for completionist's sake I'd like to have it.

Good job nabbing the Green Grocer, I had the same luck of getting it about a week before it disappeared. It was the first purchase I had made for LEGO ever, as they were always gifted to me as a kid, and it took me that long to remember how great LEGO is. Now I'm ensnared. Just picked up and built Emerald Night a couple weeks ago and love it. That one is going to be huge for resellers. That and Medieval Market Village, which really is one of the best sets to come out of LEGO.

Testro
May 2, 2009
Medieval Market Village and Emerald Night are two sets that I found joyous to build, and I think I may regret not buying multiples of them (Emerald Night for the extra coaches; MMV to make a town with).

They both have a great price per piece ratio and are excellent models to boot, but as I have limited money, I can't justify buying more of them when there are other Lego models that I want to own.

Rustie
Aug 25, 2003

I just bought the Winter Village sets and they're my first exposure to a light up bricks. Is there a way to keep these things permanently on without holding down the little button or having it pressed up against another brick?? It seems like there's probably some simple way based on the design of the brick, but I'm somehow overlooking it.

Pirate Ken
Jul 1, 2006
I am super awesome.

Rustie posted:

I just bought the Winter Village sets and they're my first exposure to a light up bricks. Is there a way to keep these things permanently on without holding down the little button or having it pressed up against another brick?? It seems like there's probably some simple way based on the design of the brick, but I'm somehow overlooking it.

Nope! Your light brick would also die pretty quickly if you did this. Better solution is to get some LEDs and figure out something with those (maybe mini LED christmas lights).

Hypsochromic Shift
Jun 2, 2009
Finding LEGO stuff at thrift stores is awesome. I just got the King's Castle from 1984, only missing a few pieces. Even still had the box and instructions. It's a really cool old set.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

Hypsochromic Shift posted:

Finding LEGO stuff at thrift stores is awesome. I just got the King's Castle from 1984, only missing a few pieces. Even still had the box and instructions. It's a really cool old set.

Twelve minifigs in one set. The 2010 version of that castle had 4.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

TRU had a flyer in today's paper. 30% off a variety of sets:
Deep Sea Raider
City of Atlantis
Earth Defense HQ
Alien Mothership
Fire Dragon Temple
Skull Truck
Space Shuttle
Launch Center
Speed Boat & Truck
Fishing Boat
Mill Village Raid
King's Carriage Ambush
Anakin & Sebulba's Pod Racers
Atlantis Board Game
Ninjago Board Game
Lego Champion Game
Heroica Fortaan
Millennium Falcon

Looks like most other sets are on sale, too, but probably not 30%, which is a nice chunk (better than BOGO50%).

They're also bringing back Bricktober, with a weekly Retro Minifig Magnet for a purchase of $20 or more. Week 1 is Ninja Princess. Silhouettes of the next three, but they look like a Forestman, a Castle Soldier, and a space fig (looks like it's visor-less, so maybe first generation).

Shuppiluliumas
Nov 9, 2006
I bought some electroluminescent wire a few months back and have been trying to decide what to do with it in a Lego environment. For those not familiar, EL-wire is just a wire with a phosphorescent coating that glows when the wire is live. Different colored wire coatings give you a choice of final light color. The neat thing about it is how small it is. The stuff I got is 2.6mm in diameter, which makes it very much Lego scale. I ended up doing a boardroom scene, using the wire to stand in for indirect florescent or neon lighting. The ceiling light comes from some cheap LED flashlights, and there's also some old Lego 9v light thrown in for some added effect.

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector

Shuppiluliumas posted:

I bought some electroluminescent wire a few months back and have been trying to decide what to do with it in a Lego environment. For those not familiar, EL-wire is just a wire with a phosphorescent coating that glows when the wire is live. Different colored wire coatings give you a choice of final light color. The neat thing about it is how small it is. The stuff I got is 2.6mm in diameter, which makes it very much Lego scale. I ended up doing a boardroom scene, using the wire to stand in for indirect florescent or neon lighting. The ceiling light comes from some cheap LED flashlights, and there's also some old Lego 9v light thrown in for some added effect.

Jesus christ this is fantastic. Do you have any shots of it under normal lighting too?

Nero Angelo
Jun 19, 2011
Are any of you in the UK?

If so, then be aware that the Sun newspaper is doing its regular free LEGO mini packs promotion from the 8th of October through to the 15th.

Details here.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Pyroclastic posted:

TRU had a flyer in today's paper. 30% off a variety of sets:
Deep Sea Raider
City of Atlantis
Earth Defense HQ
Alien Mothership
Fire Dragon Temple
Skull Truck
Space Shuttle
Launch Center
Speed Boat & Truck
Fishing Boat
Mill Village Raid
King's Carriage Ambush
Anakin & Sebulba's Pod Racers
Atlantis Board Game
Ninjago Board Game
Lego Champion Game
Heroica Fortaan
Millennium Falcon

Looks like most other sets are on sale, too, but probably not 30%, which is a nice chunk (better than BOGO50%).

They're also bringing back Bricktober, with a weekly Retro Minifig Magnet for a purchase of $20 or more. Week 1 is Ninja Princess. Silhouettes of the next three, but they look like a Forestman, a Castle Soldier, and a space fig (looks like it's visor-less, so maybe first generation).

Bought Mill Village Raid for $50 on Sunday and got my ninja princess. I don't know if I can afford to get the others, though.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!
Want the forestman and space guy, but is it possible to get them off the magnet?

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
It's possible but there will probably be little chips of whatever colour the base is left on their legs, they're glued pretty well on there. There's like a post that attaches to the back of their legs so it's very hard to get them off without breaking them. That's how every other Lego minifig magnet has worked before anyway.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

thebardyspoon posted:

It's possible but there will probably be little chips of whatever colour the base is left on their legs, they're glued pretty well on there. There's like a post that attaches to the back of their legs so it's very hard to get them off without breaking them. That's how every other Lego minifig magnet has worked before anyway.

Is the torso glued to the legs?

CADPAT
Jul 23, 2004

For the men
to my left and right!
:hist101:

Saint Sputnik posted:

Want the forestman and space guy, but is it possible to get them off the magnet?

Why yes it is!

http://thebrickblogger.com/2011/01/lego-glued-magnet-removal/

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
That's a much better method than breaking it off like a caveman.

Graveyardstick
Nov 18, 2007

Are you too depressed to finish biting through that piece of toast?

Oooh, that article says acetone really fucks up Lego plastic? This could be used to create some post-apocalyptic stuff with all those bubbly, burnt bricks and tarnished surfaces and things. Neat.

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

'Cause we're the good guys.

hxcorpse posted:

Oooh, that article says acetone really fucks up Lego plastic? This could be used to create some post-apocalyptic stuff with all those bubbly, burnt bricks and tarnished surfaces and things. Neat.

I can't remember, did they make Toht and Belloq minifigs for the Indiana Jones line? "Opening of the Ark" diorama, here I come.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
You'd better post pictures, Kaz.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

kazmeyer posted:

I can't remember, did they make Toht and Belloq minifigs for the Indiana Jones line? "Opening of the Ark" diorama, here I come.

There's a Belloq but no Toht :(

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Nero Angelo posted:

Are any of you in the UK?

If so, then be aware that the Sun newspaper is doing its regular free LEGO mini packs promotion from the 8th of October through to the 15th.

Details here.

I can't get to a TRU or WHSmiths ever day but there's usually some way to get all of them if you collect the codes. Has anyone done this before and got them successfully? Those sets would make cool stocking stuffers.

Of course the downside is having to buy the Sun every day.

tactical_grace
Oct 18, 2004

General Contact Unit
(Escarpment Class)

Gravy Jones posted:

I can't get to a TRU or WHSmiths ever day but there's usually some way to get all of them if you collect the codes. Has anyone done this before and got them successfully? Those sets would make cool stocking stuffers.

Of course the downside is having to buy the Sun every day.
I think this time there's no "collect vouchers and pay to get the collection via post" option unfortunately. Annoyingly I can get to TRU after work every day but by that point they're always out of the models :(

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
Well that sucks. It's the same for me. I could get to a TRU after work, but it figures they'd run out, I'd also have to pay to park there. Probably not worth it.

p.s. I have some Duplo I'm planning on selling soon but you do not have PMs :argh:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Is it just TRU and WHSmiths doing it? I couldn't run to my local newsie and get it? :(

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
On Community this week the guy from The Wire who is their teacher was talking about life after getting out of prison. (paraphrased) "What happened with Legos, man? They used to be simple. Now they're all complicated. And there's Harry Potter and Star Wars and stuff. (long pause) I'm not necessarily saying that's bad, just, you know, what happened?"

tactical_grace
Oct 18, 2004

General Contact Unit
(Escarpment Class)

Gravy Jones posted:

Well that sucks. It's the same for me. I could get to a TRU after work, but it figures they'd run out, I'd also have to pay to park there. Probably not worth it.

p.s. I have some Duplo I'm planning on selling soon but you do not have PMs :argh:
Oh, nice. Shoot me an email at team.awesome at Googlemail.

Kabong
Jan 1, 2001

Kickin' Afrolistics
Verdict is in: Life of George is fun as hell. Time based competitive LEGO building? Yes, please.

Life of George by Senior Kabong, on Flickr

Hope the picture isn't breaking tables, having trouble posting from iPhone.

Kabong fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Oct 10, 2011

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Kabong posted:

Hope the picture isn't breaking tables, having trouble posting from iPhone.

Yeah, I think we can handle a 240 pixel square. :v:

Barometer
Sep 23, 2007

You travelled a long way for
"I don't know", sonny.
:whip: :cthulhu: :shivdurf:

Gromit posted:

Yeah, I think we can handle a 240 pixel square. :v:

It's breaking my LEGO table!

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
Oh hello again. Been off the LEGO wagon too long, fired up LDD and whadyaknow, some of these hero factory bits are actually quite swell for robot building!

(click for flickr!)

(and without fancy-shmancy graphics)
It's technically an old build but I'm in the middle of a complete overhaul so expect more stuff in the near future!

3 fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Oct 10, 2011

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
I've just seen an unopened Star Wars Battle for Endor set going for £40 on my local seek and sell Facebook page, is that a good deal?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Lofty132 posted:

I've just seen an unopened Star Wars Battle for Endor set going for £40 on my local seek and sell Facebook page, is that a good deal?

That set apparently retails for £85, so, yes.