Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Golbez posted:

It's very surprising to me. I'm American and thus lack this strange compulsion to support one's "tribemate" in the face of overwhelming evidence of cruelty.

Counterpoint: Many Americans are still members of the Republican party in spite of overwhelming evidence as to why they shouldn't be :v:

But in a nutshell, many people tend to be very forgiving towards the actions of people they consider to be family, because they have been raised to always stick up for their family no matter what. An attack on their family (however justifiable it may seem) is seen as no different than an attack on them, personally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Has anyone got that picture of Caro in all his military gear?

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

I sent Abigail Hauslohner that article, she's replied

quote:

@Brown_Moses Yep, that sounds about right

I asked her to tell the NTC to arrest him as he's a mentally ill fantasist.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
What's the story behind Caro? I have no idea.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Another Sirte update
AFP - Fighting rages as Gadhafi diehards bid to break Sirte siege

quote:

Sirte, Libya - Intense fighting raged in Sirte on Thursday after forces loyal to Moammer Gadhafi tried to break a siege of the ousted strongman's hometown by fighters loyal to Libya's new regime.

Amid complaints that NATO air strikes had destroyed homes and killed residents in the city, the alliance was considering how quickly it could end its air campaign.

Fighting on the northeastern front line was presaged when the toppled leader's diehards advanced several hundred metres (yards) overnight under the cover of darkness, fighters of the National Transitional Council told AFP.

"There was a lot of movement during the night; their snipers advanced here and there," an NTC fighter told AFP.

Sirte, some 360 kilometres (225 miles) east of the capital is one of Gadhafi's last bastions against the NTC, which has ruled most of the oil-rich country since the veteran strongman was toppled in August.

The two sides battled with automatic weapons along the road leading from a luxury hotel on the seaside, an area of the city that has been under control of the NTC fighters for the past week.

"They (snipers) advance and fall back, constantly changing position. They are using this tactic to make us believe they are advancing towards us and to relieve pressure (on themselves)," NTC officer Nagib Mismari told AFP.

Several NTC fighters suggest that the loyalists are trying to breach the opposition siege to extricate one of their leaders.

Long-standing rumours have it that one of the ousted leader's sons, Mutassim, remains in Sirte, commanding loyalist operations from the town's main hospital.

NTC forces have besieged Sirte since September 15 but have not managed to penetrate the heart of the city because of fierce resistance.

An AFP correspondent on the western front said 200-300 NTC fighters were in open ground about 1.5 kilometres south of the Ouagadougou conference centre, firing into the city with tanks and missiles, and receiving mortar fire in return, but had made no ground assault.

NTC field commander Salah al-Jabo said his men were trying to evacuate the Ibn Sina hospital near the Ouagadougou centre, what he said he believes may be one of the pro-Gadhafi fighters bases.

He said the "Red Cross is already there," and the reporter said he had seen at least one vehicle from the agency enter the city.

Jabo estimated there were only around 800 pro-Gadhafi fighters left in the entire city, and that the area under their control had been reduced to around 20 square kilometres (eight square miles).

At the same time he said there were only about 400 civilians left in Sirte. That figure was impossible to confirm, but the reporter said that only a trickle of refugees had come out on Thursday and the previous day, compared with dozens if not hundreds of cars in previous days.

Many among the thousands of residents who have escaped complained that the biggest danger was not Gadhafi loyalists but the bombs that drop from the sky and the ones the NTC fighters lob into their Mediterranean port city.

International aid workers also say NATO bombing is sometimes doing the opposite of what it is supposed to do in the city that was home to around 100,000 people before the Libyan revolution kicked off in February.

When asked if NATO was fulfilling its mission to protect civilians, one aid worker, who asked not to be named because he was not authorized to speak publicly, replied: "It wouldn't seem so."

"There's a lot of indiscriminate fire," he said, adding that many residents and doctors he had spoken to had complained of the deadly results of NATO air strikes.

NATO regularly rejected accusations by the Gadhafi regime during the revolution of killing innocent civilians.

It did so again when asked by AFP if its bombs might have killed non-combatants in Sirte.

"When we absolutely need to intervene to protect the population, we do so with utmost care, targeting only military assets and using precision guided munitions to avoid civilian casualties," a NATO official said.

The official noted in an email that the alliance "has not conducted any strike in Sirte since last weekend and is siding with none of the forces on the ground."

In the meantime, NATO defence ministers discussed the prospects of wrapping up the mission during two days of talks in Brussels, with officials insisting the campaign will continue as long as Gadhafi forces pose a threat to civilians.

"Sirte is extremely symbolic. But it is important that we no longer have pockets of resistance," French Defence Minister Gerard Longuet told reporters.

"We will stop when we no longer identify a resistance prohibiting the normal functioning of a state," he said. "Whether Gadhafi disappears from the scene is important, but it's not enough."

NATO Supreme Allied Commander in Europe, U.S. Admiral James Stavridis, recommended to the ministers late Wednesday that the mission continue until the new leadership consolidates control of the entire country, diplomats said.

Once the country is deemed secure, Stavridis suggested that the aerial and maritime surveillance missions carry on for two weeks until NATO is "sure that fighting has ended," the diplomat told AFP on condition of anonymity.

NATO Secretary General Anders Fogh Rasmussen said the decision to halt the operation would hinge on the ability of NTC forces to maintain order — not on the fate of Gadhafi.

"The termination of the operation is not dependent on Colonel Gadhafi," he said.

Officials said the alliance had to make a political judgment, balancing the need to prevent attacks on civilians while avoiding the impression of meddling.

"It will be a political decision, which will involve the UN and the NTC and it will be a question of an international concert of opinion that the time has come," said a senior NATO official.

"The big risk is that one day we stop and the next day there is a massacre, in which case we would have failed."

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Fangz posted:

What's the story behind Caro? I have no idea.

Here's his SAclopedia entry

quote:

Was chased by the CIA, police, Cornell University, Qualcomm corporation and Austin city government, all of those organizations are known as 'they' and serve as an umbrella to a worldwide born-again Christian white supremacist neo-imperialist conspiracy, that only he can put an end to.
Since the early childhood was indoctrinated in the wicked CIA ways, including being followed by spies in training with earbuds and black glasses. He got rid of those spies, by blowing into his mobile phone, so that every single one of them was deafened by the positive feedback microphone 'they' have placed into his phone.

Has resisted coercion for a high treason crime - to become a man-swallow and sleep with Jenna Bush, the President G.W. Bush's daughter , in exchange for providing 'them' information'
Had police breaking into his house without warrant, and was stalked by some CIA hobos, wearing a gun, was fired upon with a green laser by his arch-enemy - Sriram Kalpat.
He's wearing a gun himself, at all times, beware.
Trains in the gym to the "Eye of the Tiger" and other Rocky themes.

List of his enemies in order of appearance:

1. CIA (http://www.cia.org)/ QUALCOMM corporation
list of crimes: unnamed horrible unspeakable mind-blowing crimes/ being a company established only as a cover-up for the said crimes.
2. Sriram Kalpat (http://www.linkedin.com/ppl/webprof...amp;id=14588905)
list of crimes: importing 1300 kg of personal belongings from Frace, being a jerk on a personal level, firing a green laser on Caro from a balcony, being paid by the Austin city mayor, working for QUALCOMM and Freescale semiconductors

3. Robert G. Bradley
list of crimes: paying rent for Sriram Kalpat, paying utilities for Sriram Kalpat, not responding to Caro's inquiries (http://www.tributes.com/show/88188826)

4. Moonkyung Kim (http://people.ece.cornell.edu/~mkk2...2/About_Me.html)
list of crimes: Faking a Korean accent, speaking perfect English while being Korean.
5. Caro's family

6. Some bald asian guy

7. a pissed-off woman accompanying the above mentioned bald asian guy

/irony

If you personally know Caro in real life it is extremely advisable to get him to a qualified medical doctor as he is liable to act on his delusions.

More recently he announced he was heading to Libya to be a photojournalists (with no training), which was laughed off by most people, but the crazy bastard actually made it to Libya, and started getting involved with the NTC, taking part in medical procedures (with no formal training)

He also started posting videos from Libya, and pretty much vanished around a month ago.

Mnoba
Jun 24, 2010
That might just be the scariest picture I've seen in quite a while.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

And now the crazy fucker has a sniper rifle and grenades and is apparently fighting with an armed rebel group.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:
Holy gently caress, the NTC better arrest him soon, Caro is like a war crime waiting to happen.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
There's an epic thread being born here.

Golbez fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Oct 6, 2011

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

Amused to Death posted:

Holy gently caress, the NTC better arrest him soon, Caro is like a war crime waiting to happen.

If the rebels don't shoot him before that. Sounds like he's an endangerment to every person he's in contact with in Libya.

Shut up and JAM!
Sep 3, 2011

Golbez posted:

First goon warcrimnal?

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!

Shut up and JAM! posted:

First goon warcrimnal?

More significant than defending puckins.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

I've tweeted the journalists who wrote the article that mentioned him, it honestly concerns me he's out there with a gun and explosives.

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive

Golbez posted:

The last thread about him got locked.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Nuclear Spoon posted:

The last thread about him got locked.

And see where that got him!

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Bit of progress in Bani Walid

quote:

Anti-Gadhafi forces capture area in Bani Walid
Libyan revolutionary fighters drove out Moammar Gadhafi's forces from strategic posts in the hills of Bani Walid Thursday, as fighting raged in one of the last remaining loyalist strongholds.

The hills lie on the northern front of the fighting in Bani Walid and were infested with snipers, said Abdulla Kenshill, a National Transitional Council spokesman in the city.

The interim council fighters were also able to confiscate much of the heavy weaponry used by the Gadhafi loyalists.

Kenshill said two of the council's fighters were killed in a rocket attack Wednesday night.

Bani Walid radio was still broadcasting pro-Gadhafi messages from homes inside the city, Kenshill said. However, Libya Al Hurra radio, which supports the revolutionaries, was also on the air from Bani Walid, which is about 170 kilometers (105 miles) southeast of Tripoli.

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax
Hahaha I remember reading that thread and I thought he head given up. This is awesome.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

What if he proves a successful warrior, performs heroically, and ends up with a seat in the new Libyan government?

Shakespearean Beef
Jul 12, 2008

Ask me all about how I proudly marched alongside literal NEO-NAZIS to protest against the GOVERNMENT taking away our FREEDOMS because of nothing mote that the common FLU!!! I'm holding aloft the TORCH of FREEDOM!!
Ahaha Caro is going to kill so many people

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

I found his blog

quote:

Monday, July 18, 2011
The current investment in armor, medical supplies, camera equipment, vaccinations, travel, and other gear and expenses is running about $28,000. With a little luck, after immediate shortages are addressed, I may even get to pay for that by virtue of public support for my efforts in the region.

More immediately I need to address a shortage of FAST-1 intraosseous drivers.

If you'd like to donate this and other specific items most can be found and purchased from Chinook Medical at https://www.chinookmed.com. I'll be leaving again for Misurata in early August. I'll have shipping information in a few days.

His last entry

quote:

Thursday, September 8, 2011
Well, the situation is substantially more fluid than I had previously thought. I'm still in Misurata but have been traveling south to the Al Hyesha and Tarwaga areas where I have been doing a lot of productive filming. There will be several large releases once I have better bandwidth. These videos are quite large and very haunting and I want to make certain that they are available in 1080i.

You'll understand when you see them.

I have yet to make contact with Dr. Tameem, but I hear that he has returned from Tripoli alive and well. Morale has been poor since footage surfaced of a Misurata ambulance crew being executed after being dragged out of their vehicle by Qaddafi-loyalist forces near Tripoli. I don't know who yet, but I knew them.

I'll find out who eventually. There is little that you can do for the dead. This news can wait.

I have also met a Canadian-Libyan fighter who was with Tim Hetherington, Chris Hondros, and possibly Dr. Tameem the day that Tim and Chris were killed. I managed to get quite an interesting and long interview. Another reason why Tim and Chris are dead, at least according to the man I interviewed, is that they ignored an RPG airburst- a well known artillery marker signal used by Qaddafi-loyalist forces during this bloody Civil Coup.

It isn't really a Civil War, but a Civil Coup. Civil Wars are fought between factions among the people along ideological divides. This was a war to remove a tyrannical leader from power who wielded little, if any, popular support due largely to his massive human rights abuses and absurd public policy decisions.

Order is returning to Misurata. I found a buried hand grenade, spoon bent and pin missing, lodged in the sand along with yet another MAT-120 submunition. After pointing this out to a local, rather than getting a shrug and the grenade possibly thrown at me, an emergency response team from Misurata (not MAG or GCA) closed the streets within about twenty minutes and had removed the ordnance within an hour.

That grenade is probably the most dangerous thing that I have ever encountered. I discovered it by nearly stepping on it.

Had the spoon shifted slightly (the only reason that the fuze hadn't ignited when the pin was pulled was because the spoon was bent and stuck to the grenade) a silent five second (give or take) countdown would have started after which the grenade (if you could see things in slow motion) would have rapidly inflated like a balloon before rupturing and perforating me with shrapnel.

The MAT-120 cluster submunition is fairly safe weapon in terms of battlefield persistence. The detonation capacitor has a reasonably small bleed resistor attached to it. So long as this resistor isn't damaged the munition self-disarms after a certain amount of time as the capacitor discharges to the point where it can no longer detonate the weapon. Having personally seen surface mount components 'spontaneously depopulate' a board upon being dropped, however... they still creep me out.

More later.

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive

Fangz posted:

What if he proves a successful warrior, performs heroically, and ends up with a seat in the new Libyan government?

I am going to be so disappointed if this doesn't happen.

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax
Here is the picture I remember him posting.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Now imagine the camera is a sniper scope, and instead of pointing at a mirror it's pointing at a Libyan.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Brown Moses posted:

I found his blog

His last entry

This is actually sounding fairly sane. Maybe being in an actual battlefield where paranoia is actually possibly justified is doing good for him, heh.

Mnoba
Jun 24, 2010

Fangz posted:

This is actually sounding fairly sane. Maybe being in an actual battlefield where paranoia is actually possibly justified is doing good for him, heh.

quote:

Notes on the Wearing of a Keffiyeh / Shemagh by Journalists and Aid Workers

I wore mine the entire time. It's an amazingly useful square of cloth, but it
confuses people. Often I was mistaken for Thewar (thuh-war, fighter) and as a
result gained a lot of access. On the other hand, I was mistaken for Thewar (
thuh- war) and this wasn't exactly honest. I passed the tests of courage (
wrasslin, rifle marksmanship against a water bottle at a few hundred yards...
debatably ethical but I felt that it was part of the tea, etc.) and was allowed
to drink the red tea and eat the little tea cakes with the fighters in the
trenches.

Eat your little tea cakes brave goony soldier.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Make sure you don't miss out on his Youtube channel. His latest "report"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1edXgC8SXY

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

I love this tweet about him:

quote:

Kevin had a grenade strapped to his flak vest "in case I have to throw it at someone." Rebl fightrs concerned he's not stable. #Libya #USA
He even scares the Misrata rebels with his craziness, and they went through hell.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Brown Moses posted:

Now imagine the camera is a sniper scope, and instead of pointing at a mirror it's pointing at a Libyan.

You're getting a bit dramatic I think? Its no surprise that a war draws "crazy" people to it, anyone sane gets the gently caress out of the way. The whole area is chock full of crazy people at this point, crazy in all sorts of ways. If we are ranking the population by "most likely to harm someone today", he might be in the bottom 10% over there right now. Fairly sure that everyone over there is aware that people who travel around the globe to a war zone are more than a bit off. Even the ones who get paid.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

You say that, but wait until he's on CNN sniping Libyan babies. He should be unbanned so he can be rebanned for war crimes.

Jut
May 16, 2005

by Ralp

Golbez posted:

If we go back to my original comment, I didn't say that. I said that if I were from Misrata and went up to you and you continued to pledge support for Gaddafi, yes, I would probably hurt you, the way the man you profess to love hurt me. I wouldn't sing kumbaya and give you a blowjob. Maybe I'm not the better man.

Then followed up with this gem

quote:

They supported the siege by continuing to support him after the fact, so yeah, it's not a stretch to justify harming them. They had the chance for redemption and refused.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Brown Moses posted:

You say that, but wait until he's on CNN sniping Libyan babies. He should be unbanned so he can be rebanned for war crimes.

Yeah but what if he appears as War Hero American shoots Gadaffi?

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!

Jut posted:

Then followed up with this gem

When words get twisted, people say stupid things. Mea culpa on the second part.

Ace Oliveira
Dec 27, 2009

"I wonder if there is beer on the sun."

Baddog posted:

Fairly sure that everyone over there is aware that people who travel around the globe to a war zone are more than a bit off. Even the ones who get paid.

Are you really trying to say that journalists who report about wars are crazy just because they put their lives on the line so they can report from there, which makes their reporting much more accurate?

Wsobchak
Mar 28, 2011

by elpintogrande

Brown Moses posted:

The rebels are sacking cities they conquered right now, torching down homes as we speak. Clearly the lanky American who never touched a gun before is the most likely potential war criminal here.

AllanGordon
Jan 26, 2010

by Shine

Wsobchak posted:

The rebels are sacking cities they conquered right now, torching down homes as we speak. Clearly the lanky American who never touched a gun before is the most likely potential war criminal here.

The one with mental health problems, yes.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!

Wsobchak posted:

It's okay, we all know he's not really in Libya, merely at a Qatari movie set.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Ace Oliveira posted:

Are you really trying to say that journalists who report about wars are crazy just because they put their lives on the line so they can report from there, which makes their reporting much more accurate?

I'm saying that people who go into that line of work and volunteer for those assignments are as a group a bit more off than everyone else, yes. Also those people who sign up to go visit far-off places, meet new people, and shoot them - although I think a lot of those people are just young/naive.

But obviously someone who just shows up on his own to do those things is going to be a lot more crazy than them. Although isn't it kind of weird that the line we draw is "did you get paid money to do that?" At least having the excuse of being compensated provides a justification for doing crazy poo poo.

Being crazy is a spectrum, its not a "yes or no" thing. Not that this guy isn't well over into the red.

Wsobchak
Mar 28, 2011

by elpintogrande

AllanGordon posted:

The one with mental health problems, yes.

The rebels have committed, and is in the procress of committing more war crimes. I don't think Caro would be able to outdo them, he'd have to rain rockets on civilians.

Golbez posted:

It's okay, we all know he's not really in Libya, merely at a Qatari movie set.
Hey there! Are you enjoying that boner that war crimes against civilians gave you?

Golbez savoring the copper taste of Gaddafi sympathizers' blood posted:

They had the chance to renounce Gaddafi. They refused.

Wsobchak fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Oct 6, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ace Oliveira
Dec 27, 2009

"I wonder if there is beer on the sun."

Baddog posted:

I'm saying that people who go into that line of work and volunteer for those assignments are as a group a bit more off than everyone else, yes. Also those people who sign up to go visit far-off places, meet new people, and shoot them - although I think a lot of those people are just young/naive.

But obviously someone who just shows up on his own to do those things is going to be a lot more crazy than them. Although isn't it kind of weird that the line we draw is "did you get paid money to do that?" At least having the excuse of being compensated provides a justification for doing crazy poo poo.

It's not, "did you get paid money to do that". It's "Are you a schizophrenic who's going there to show how everything's a conspiracy and how the CIA's directly behind the NTC?". That's where you cross the line from "person with a dangerous job who volunteered to do it" to "crazy motherfucker" status.

• Locked thread