Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

isn't it an airstream? that's pretty classy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

qirex posted:

I was at a museum where they had the quarantine box they kept the Apollo guys in in case they brought back MOON AIDS it was basically a double-wide mobile home with a ping pong table

"honey, I swear I must have gotten it from the moon toilet seats"

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

qirex posted:

I was at a museum where they had the quarantine box they kept the Apollo guys in in case they brought back MOON AIDS it was basically a double-wide mobile home with a ping pong table

The van they used to take the astronauts to the rocket is pretty mundane as far as vans from the '60s go.

The Astronaut Van by Bernt Rostad, on Flickr

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

wanna have sex in that van

Note: Since you are not the owner of this rights-managed post, you can
cut or copy only the part of the message that you create for this reply.
The OP can send the entire contents to other people. This poster is
licensed to post posts only in the State of California. Responses are
based solely on California law unless stated otherwise.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

LP97S posted:

I can't tell who's the real one and who's the duplicate! Who do I shoot?!

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

atomicthumbs posted:

I can't tell who's the real one and who's the duplicate! Who do I shoot?!

shoot them all and let Q sort it out.

Hamboning
May 2, 2010

qirex posted:

that's the space and rocket center in huntsville i think? pretty cool place

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Hamboning posted:

yeah I went to space camp

space camp sucks

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Hamboning posted:

I used to live in Huntsville. One of the only relatively civilized places in AL cause of all the NASA.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Shaggar posted:

I used to live in Huntsville. One of the only relatively civilized places in AL cause of all the ex-Nazis.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I met one of the ex-nazis when I was there

I didn't realize who he was until I was watching a History Channel special like 10 years later and was like :aaaaa:

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

LP97S posted:

That was the best the cover artist could come with for Mirror-Picard?

BUSINESS CATTE 2.0
Dec 23, 2002

by T. Butt
lold

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

qirex posted:

what the hell mirror universe copies have to have goatees

why does everyone think this

srsly, name me one other mirror universe person besides Spock who had a goatee, how the gently caress did that become the defining characteristic

also, I sat at the controls of a space shuttle once :smug:

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

The defining characteristic of the mirror universe is the sash. The goatee is just a bonus.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
tng had yesterdays enterprise which was alternate universey and ownage

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

LooseChanj posted:

why does everyone think this

srsly, name me one other mirror universe person besides Spock who had a goatee, how the gently caress did that become the defining characteristic

also, I sat at the controls of a space shuttle once :smug:

Mirror universe Eric Cartman.

The space shuttle simulator at Space Camp was fun, but not as fun as my friend's work's C-130 sim.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
i got to go in some irl astronaut training centrifuge and that was cool. they wouldnt let us go over 3g tho

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Shaggar posted:

i got to go in some irl astronaut training centrifuge and that was cool. they wouldnt let us go over 3g tho

They had one of those at the Astronaut Hall of Fame, which was basically the same building as Space Camp.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

Shaggar posted:

yesterdays enterprise is a horrible episode that leans far too heavily on two of the worst characters in the series

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
i also got to do the flight sims @ the aviation challenge place

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TvJuDSywK-0&t=32s

they were cool as poo poo for the times. (the centrifuge is later in this vid 2)

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

amf5 posted:

yesterdays enterprise is a horrible episode that leans far too heavily on two of the worst characters in the series

but beverly crusher barely said anything and deanna troi wasn't even in it :confused:

Sneaking Mission
Nov 11, 2008

Shaggar posted:

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Sneaking Mission posted:

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

I don't have autism and read for fun, with that in mind does Embassytown get better or does it remain this boring book about dinner parties

i'm 1/3 in and nothing has really happened other that world building and lessons in linguistics.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

but beverly crusher barely said anything and deanna troi wasn't even in it :confused:

its got guinan and denise crosby who is quite possibly the worst actress ever to be a regular on a tv series

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

guinan and troi really should have been the same character

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

I don't have autism and read for fun, with that in mind does Embassytown get better or does it remain this boring book about dinner parties

i'm 1/3 in and nothing has really happened other that world building and lessons in linguistics.

poo poo hits fan after the off-planet Ambassador arrives.

I never stopped being irritated that the Hosts could understand recorded or broadcast speech, though.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
lolin at yeoman liberty

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

amf5 posted:

its got guinan and denise crosby who is quite possibly the worst actress ever to be a regular on a tv series

january jones is waaaaay worse than denise crosby ever was. like jones may be fuckin' hot, but that's literally all she's got going for her.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

duTrieux posted:

guinan and troi really should have been the same character

troi doesnt bother me as much because she's sort of the bubbly airhead that got to be on senior staff or whatever by having a weird ability and being nice to people and poo poo in the midst of all these super smart engineers and tacticians and whatnot, she's kinda just like a regular person (also: titties)

guinan on the other hand has p much no redeeming characteristics other than "shes mysterious" even though the writers didnt seem to realize that having a character never say or explain or do anything of consequence doesnt make them mysterious, even though we're supposed to hold this person in high regard it just makes them completely loving useless. i wouldn't have minded the character as much if she had some flaws a la troi being an idiot but instead they just tacked on more stupid loving supposedly mysterious retarded bullshit

they could have been the same character i guess, but when troi says "i dont know i cant really explain sorry" you figure its just because she's dumb and everyone basically glosses over it, when guinan goes "oh i dont know blah blah blu" everyone goes "whoa holy poo poo we gotta figure this one out guys all stop"

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

january jones is waaaaay worse than denise crosby ever was. like jones may be fuckin' hot, but that's literally all she's got going for her.

denise crosby has two ways of delivering lines: YELLING ALL THE TIME TO MAKE SURE YOU KNOW SHE'S SURE or completely flat with emphasis on the wrong words

january jones is pretty terrible too though i'll give you that

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Oct 7, 2011

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
Pulaski > Crusher

Discuss.

mr_jim
Oct 30, 2006

OUT OF THE DARK

Amethyst posted:

Pulaski > Crusher

Discuss.

wrong.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

rotor posted:

lolin at yeoman liberty

would

FEMA summer camp
Jan 22, 2006

amf5 posted:

"oh hi we're hardened space warriors fighting a horrible war against the klingons"
"captain were under attack by a mess of said klingons"
"fire the weapons twice and then make course corrections until the ship explodes"

Sneaking Mission posted:

lol

amf5 posted:

(also: titties)

whu? younger Marina Sirtis was built like a 12-yr. old greek boy

admittedly they're pretty banging now but early in the show (before she had kids I presume bcause otherwise where did they come from) that ridiculous uniform she was always wearing made her look like a surfboard

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

FEMA summer camp posted:

whu? younger Marina Sirtis was built like a 12-yr. old greek boy

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

FEMA summer camp posted:

"oh hi we're hardened space warriors fighting a horrible war against the klingons"
"captain were under attack by a mess of said klingons"
"fire the weapons twice and then make course corrections until the ship explodes"

to be fair motion-control photography is pretty time-consuming and expensive, along with the animation needed for the phaser blasts and poo poo. they even built a whole new Enterprise model for the episode.

don't get me wrong, i agree that the combat is anemic especially by today's standards, but for 1990 that was pretty amazing for a television show.

Sneaking Mission
Nov 11, 2008

sci fi siggin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
wanna live on Planet Keyboard

• Locked thread