Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer
The more I think about lonesome road the less sense it makes. Why is blowing up warheads scattered about a good thing? That seems bad. And a bus door is too difficult for anyone to navigate but me? Plus I'm not entirely sure why we needed an entirely new race of ghoul. And Ulysses was there when the bombs went off... but robots put him back together? what? Also the commissaries must be using BIG MT tech in order to restock money and items forever... or something.

It still bothers me that the general coat in this game while looking almost identical to the general coat in fallout 3 or even the colonel coat, is vastly inferior. I may have to load up the geck and fix that.

DR values seem to have generally been halved to determine DR values anyhow. So since the generals coat in 3 had DR 20 I think this one should have had DR 10 or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

Ddraig posted:

It's not actually possible to get to the fort without the mark. You can't actually get to him until you leave the Lucky 38

Well, not in vanilla. I use a mod called Invisible Wall Remover. It's very nice for getting places you shouldn't, as long as the surfaces aren't so close to vertical that you can't climb them.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
I appreciate the new weapons and neat visuals in Lonesome Road but man the story isn't really what I was expecting. "Oooo I'm some guy that cares about you for some reason I speak in riddles come walk through my haunted town if you want to figure out why you bought this DLC!" The nail gun and upgraded ED-E loving own though.

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Yodzilla posted:

I appreciate the new weapons and neat visuals in Lonesome Road but man the story isn't really what I was expecting. "Oooo I'm some guy that cares about you for some reason I speak in riddles come walk through my haunted town if you want to figure out why you bought this DLC!" The nail gun and upgraded ED-E loving own though.

That's pretty concisely how I feel.

Does anyone else just use ED-E to fix every valuable weapon before they sell it by waiting 24 hours and having him fix it?

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet

Strudel Man posted:

Those two things aren't very much like each other. He's already cheated death for hundreds of years amidst a ruined civilization; there's no reason to think he won't continue to do so unless the Courier breaks in and tenderizes him. He has his obituary prepped and ready to go because planning literally everything is kind of his thing. Like an undead batman.

Aside from that the flaws in his plans have nearly killed him twice already?

He's meant to be a rational actor ubermensch, he's not God. If he was actually a flawless planner of everything the plot wouldn't exist (the setting wouldn't exist).

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Y'know, I'm still a little confused by Doc Mitchell's thought process in the beginning of the game.

"Here, was all you had on you when you came in... Oh also I grew up in a Vault but I'm not there anymore so instead of keeping this for medical use here take this Pip-Boy."

I always thank him regardless, but it's weird that he just up and decides to give you his Pip-Boy.

Maybe the thing is bugged and he's listening to your every move through Johnny Guitar's Jingle-Jangling Big Iron. :tinfoil:

Boogle
Sep 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

CJacobs posted:

Y'know, I'm still a little confused by Doc Mitchell's thought process in the beginning of the game.

If you talk to him later about his history he tells you about how Mr. House kicked everyone out of Vault 21 so he could salvage their technology. All that vault stuff he hands to you reminds him of his dead wife.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Boogle posted:

If you talk to him later about his history he tells you about how Mr. House kicked everyone out of Vault 21 so he could salvage their technology. All that vault stuff he hands to you reminds him of his dead wife.

Oh, well that makes significantly more sense. Thanks. :smith:

Syrant
Jun 28, 2006
This post is brought to you by: Goat Bouillabaise.

First 9

CJacobs posted:

"Here, was all you had on you when you came in... Oh also I grew up in a Vault but I'm not there anymore so instead of keeping this for medical use here take this Pip-Boy."

I always thank him regardless, but it's weird that he just up and decides to give you his Pip-Boy.

Maybe the thing is bugged and he's listening to your every move through Johnny Guitar's Jingle-Jangling Big Iron. :tinfoil:

Maybe he thinks you're in need of some sort of assistance due to the trauma of being shot in the head? Or maybe you remind him of himself when he left the vault or something that happened to someone who left the vault with him.

:stare: Maybe Ulysses told him to give it to you.

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Just seems like pipboys would be drat sought after. Every two-bit thug would want one, every prospector, loving everybody. I would murder my way into a vault to get one if they didn't give me one at the start.

Hell, in PnP fallout games I have ;)

Syrant
Jun 28, 2006
This post is brought to you by: Goat Bouillabaise.

First 9
It would be pretty cool to start a Fallout game where you have to find/scavenge an old vault for a Pip-Boy and perhaps find small upgrades for it in other vaults or on the corpses of the people in other vaults. Sort'a like a long quest-chain or optional thing to restore or augment it, kinda like the Fallout 2 highwayman.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
If you're playing a female, Doc Mitchell mentions that the vaultsuit he gives you belonged to his dead wife. I assume that the pipboy would, aswell.

You're wearing a dead woman's pipboy.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I love the dude from Honest Hearts who has a broken Pipboy on his wrist and just pretends it works in order to get a job. Ironically, if you call him out and convince him to get the hell out of there, you save his worthless life while everybody else dies.

Berk Berkly
Apr 9, 2009

by zen death robot
Well, you were ambushed and had something valuable stolen from you before being shot in the head. Here, I think you could use this extremely valuable piece of equipment visibly strapped to your arm.

Yea, 3/4ths of the wasteland should be after you at all times trying to get their hands on that thing.

You can really understand where Father Elijah comes from.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Tubgirl Cosplay posted:

Aside from that the flaws in his plans have nearly killed him twice already?
I'm not totally sure to which incidents you're referring. Is one of them the nuclear war?

Tubgirl Cosplay posted:

He's meant to be a rational actor ubermensch, he's not God. If he was actually a flawless planner of everything the plot wouldn't exist (the setting wouldn't exist).
He doesn't have to be God to have a better plan than Caesar.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Brace posted:

The Legion would be pretty much unsustainable and the NCR would demolish them in any kind of real word situation.

I don't think the fiction of the story really points to this at all, to say nothing the fact that asymmetrical war has been waged inconclusively for millenia. It's not really a tough theme to grasp.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Syrant posted:

:stare: Maybe Ulysses told him to give it to you.

I like to think that, from what he implies in Lonesome Road depending on your current quest path, Ulysses is behind pretty much everything lovely that happens to you over the course of NV until you finally confront him.

Shot in the head? Ulysses was gonna be the original Courier Six.

NCRCF attacking Goodsprings? Ulysses told their leader to colonize.

Primm being overrun by bandits? Ulysses invited them in.

Giant ants invading an underpass? Ulysses accidentally dropped the eggs and left them there during his many travels.

Nipton burned and scarred by Legion troops? Ulysses whispered sweet nothings in Vulpes' ear and inspired the attack in the first place.

Oh, and that Deathclaw that just came out of nowhere and murdered you without you even noticing before it was too late? Ulysses pointed it in your direction.

Dude's just waiting in the bushes right outside your FOV, waiting to make you as miserable as possible.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

CJacobs posted:

Dude's just waiting in the bushes right outside your FOV, waiting to make you as miserable as possible.

This is horribly true once you spot him stalking you during Lonesome Road :(

Berk Berkly
Apr 9, 2009

by zen death robot
After playing LR that shack where Victor holds up with the Old World Flag made me go raise an eyebrow.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Kharmakazy posted:

Just seems like pipboys would be drat sought after.

So should Nuka-Colas since they're basically food and currency not to mention all of the nuclear reactors and useful scrap metal found in all of the cars littered all over the world. But no, no one really gives a gently caress because it's a video game and little of it makes any sense at all.

I think the biggest thing that ticks me off is how sloppy everyone is. loving hell there's an overturned truck outside of the Lucky 38 right in the middle of the strip. It's been there for 200 years someone move that poo poo you lazy assholes.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
What's up with OWB and spawn rates? Just a minute ago I paused my game (pressed escape) and when I unpaused it, two nightstalkers actually spawned right in front of me, five feet away. Is it supposed to be this much?

Also I might be missing something, but I can't seem to upgrade the sink. I've got a couple holodisks for it, but I can't do anything with them. Does the option to upgrade come later in the DLC?

Node fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Oct 7, 2011

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Node posted:

Also I might be missing something, but I can't seem to upgrade the sink. I've got a couple holodisks for it, but I can't do anything with them. Does the option to upgrade come later in the DLC?

You should have a quest to grab upgrades. Follow that and you'll eventually get to use them. As for spawns, get yer shootin' pants on because that's how OWB rolls.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Yodzilla posted:

You should have a quest to grab upgrades. Follow that and you'll eventually get to use them. As for spawns, get yer shootin' pants on because that's how OWB rolls.

Dang. Pew Pew just ain't going to cut it then. Time to carry around Esther for the outdoors and the sprtl-wood for everything else.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Node posted:

What's up with OWB and spawn rates? Just a minute ago I paused my game (pressed escape) and when I unpaused it, two nightstalkers actually spawned right in front of me, five feet away. Is it supposed to be this much?

Yeah that happens. Somebody majorly hosed up designing the spawns in OWB, there are way too many and it'll happily drop three lobotomites out of thin air in front of you. Fortunately the rest is awesome so we can overlook it.

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.
I enjoy running around Big MT on my many penised feet, shishkebabing things to death, then using a powerfist when I want awesome

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Yodzilla posted:

So should Nuka-Colas since they're basically food and currency not to mention all of the nuclear reactors and useful scrap metal found in all of the cars littered all over the world. But no, no one really gives a gently caress because it's a video game and little of it makes any sense at all.

I think the biggest thing that ticks me off is how sloppy everyone is. loving hell there's an overturned truck outside of the Lucky 38 right in the middle of the strip. It's been there for 200 years someone move that poo poo you lazy assholes.

It seems like the Ultra-Luxe are the only people who bother to clean up beforehand and then AFTER themselves as well. I don't really count House and the Lucky 38 since he's pre-war.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

CJacobs posted:

I like to think that, from what he implies in Lonesome Road depending on your current quest path, Ulysses is behind pretty much everything lovely that happens to you over the course of NV until you finally confront him.

Shot in the head? Ulysses was gonna be the original Courier Six.

NCRCF attacking Goodsprings? Ulysses told their leader to colonize.

Primm being overrun by bandits? Ulysses invited them in.

Giant ants invading an underpass? Ulysses accidentally dropped the eggs and left them there during his many travels.

Nipton burned and scarred by Legion troops? Ulysses whispered sweet nothings in Vulpes' ear and inspired the attack in the first place.

Oh, and that Deathclaw that just came out of nowhere and murdered you without you even noticing before it was too late? Ulysses pointed it in your direction.

So when VATS fucks up and freezes me in the middle of fighting off Cazadors was that Ulysses screwing with my Pip-Boy?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

quote:

Why is blowing up warheads scattered about a good thing? That seems bad.

One of the key points Ulysses raises is that you don't really know what you're doing or how you're changing things but you're doing it anyway. Like blowing up lots and lots of nukes.

I should do a playthrough where when he tells you to leave I take the option that says "fine I will, gently caress you" and leave, just to see if anything happens.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Orange Crush Rush posted:

So when VATS fucks up and freezes me in the middle of fighting off Cazadors was that Ulysses screwing with my Pip-Boy?

You got it, his remote access controls at the peak of the Lonesome Road trail did the whole thing just to spite you. Don't believe the OWB bots, cazadores were ACTUALLY Ulysses' idea in the first place. He just hacked them to make them THINK it was their creation.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Yodzilla posted:

Yeah, the setting some of the new weapons and armor were the only redeeming parts of Lonesome Road. Ulysses was a letdown, and the backstory just wasn't all that interesting. I did like at the end (post-ending spoilers) how they just hand you the means to blow up the NCR and/or the Legion beyond the borders of the Mojave. It doesn't affect the game at all really beyond giving you new locations to explore, but the idea's pretty cool.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge
It's funny because as far as terrible things happening to you in the DLC's, Ulysses was the one that pointed Elijah to the Sierra Madre, was the one that taught the White Legs how to use their guns and how to maintain them as well as basic military tactics, and was the one that convinced the Think-Tank they need to brain wash everyone that comes to Big MT.

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Weird... ED-E suddenly lost the ability to repair my weapon...

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Has it been more than a day since the last time your repaired?

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there

Kharmakazy posted:

Weird... ED-E suddenly lost the ability to repair my weapon...

Isn't that a once-per-day thing?

e:f, b

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Syrant posted:

It would be pretty cool to start a Fallout game where you have to find/scavenge an old vault for a Pip-Boy and perhaps find small upgrades for it in other vaults or on the corpses of the people in other vaults. Sort'a like a long quest-chain or optional thing to restore or augment it, kinda like the Fallout 2 highwayman.

There's only one upgrade you need, its already in New Vegas, and its called the Pimpboy 3-Billion :smug:

Also, having just completed Dead Money with it, I was a little disappointed that no one saw fit to bring it up. It was still pretty funny going through it with the "I'm not greedy!" option with a solid-gold pipboy strapped to my wrist.

Jerusalem posted:

I love the dude from Honest Hearts who has a broken Pipboy on his wrist and just pretends it works in order to get a job. Ironically, if you call him out and convince him to get the hell out of there, you save his worthless life while everybody else dies.

I always consider saving that dude's life right before I remember how rare vault suits are and I still have yet to complete that quest and welp...

I like that guy though, and I always got the sense that he was rope kids' way of making fun of the typical Fallout player character: a hyperactive drugged-up retard who can't be bothered to pay attention to the plot but is really excited about shooting guns.

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Captain Walker posted:

Isn't that a once-per-day thing?

e:f, b

Yes. I waited weeks and it didn't pop up in the dialogue again like usual... I wait outside the Silo for nails to come back to the commissary anyhow.

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet

Yodzilla posted:

That truck was actually upright and operational the day before

Buncha drunken soldiers bumming around town looking for fun, poo poo's gonna happen.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Tubgirl Cosplay posted:

That truck was actually upright and operational the day before

Buncha drunken soldiers bumming around town looking for fun, poo poo's gonna happen.

I'll accept it.

Tewratomeh posted:

Yeah, the setting some of the new weapons and armor were the only redeeming parts of Lonesome Road. Ulysses was a letdown, and the backstory just wasn't all that interesting. I did like at the end (post-ending spoilers) how they just hand you the means to blow up the NCR and/or the Legion beyond the borders of the Mojave. It doesn't affect the game at all really beyond giving you new locations to explore, but the idea's pretty cool.

Yeah I just finished it after one long sitting tonight. Was definitely a really fun bit of DLC with cool environments (and stomach-churning tilted buildings) and neat weapons but man was Ulysses a bad character. Rambling and repetitive and then you get to him and he looks like the retarded Bionic Commando remake. Thankfully he couldn't stop how loving awesome I am.

I really liked the ED-E backstory though and I think at the end of it all I'm going to ignore the switch and just leave it for later. I want to blow everything up but not until I've dealt with Caesar myself. But just for kicks I unleashed hell and went to Cottonwood to see what it looked like. Pretty loving cool and really challenging.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

So I just finished OWB, and the item they give you to leave the place isn't working.

I'm outside of The Sink and when I use it, the game says you can't use it while in an interior. I try fast traveling around the Big MT, same message.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Grand Fromage posted:

Yeah that happens. Somebody majorly hosed up designing the spawns in OWB, there are way too many and it'll happily drop three lobotomites out of thin air in front of you. Fortunately the rest is awesome so we can overlook it.

This is becoming a problem and I'm running out of ammo for my energy weapons. I brought all my ammo over from the Mojave, too. The Sink vendor doesn't sell any of it, and being forced to run from a group of lobotomites with brush guns is really hurting.