Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sighnoceros
Mar 11, 2007
:qq: GOONS ARE MEAN :qq:
Asked this a while ago but didn't see any responses. Spoiler question for after the first bell:

OK so I rang the first bell and apparently some people are supposed to show up in Firelink Shrine? Some more White Covenant folks? Nobody's there, just the dude by the bonfire and the miracle-selling guy. Lautrec was here but I killed him. Is there something else I have to do for these people to show up? I haven't killed the Capra Demon yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

People occasionally kill/attack NPCs by accident because the PS3 controller is semi-badly designed and if you put the controller down in a certain way you might hit the trigger. Since the safest place to put down your controller and go answer the phone/use the bathroom/whatever is usually near a friendly NPC, this has a higher chance of happening than you'd expect.

Morbleu
Jun 13, 2006

Talran posted:

Just get it up to +5 or +10, and if you've got the right embers it'll be an option, mind you only certain smiths can do certain elements. And no, one you trancend to elemental, you lose all stat influence (or usually do) but gain a ton of damage to make up for it.

Smiths:
Small Rondo Ruin - Just down the stairs: Magic
Near Dark Forest Garden: Normal(High), Raw, Holy
Graveyard - down in the catacombs, you have to fall to reach him from a spiral: Fire
Anor Rondo - Giant smith outside of castle, just to the left: Lightning

Might have missed a few elements, but that's what I've seen so far. anyone care to add?

Also, +5 is for first rank elements like magic/holy and 10+ is required for stronger elements like lightning it seems. Lightning is amazing.

Edit: To add, aside from the two knights we all hate, for which I used magic damage, Lightning is the end all gently caress you damage source to most things I've come across. +5 lightning wing spear? Yes please. STR and DEX no longer add to my damage, but I'll be damned if I don't wipe out ~1/3 of a bosses HP bar with a two-hand light combo.

Ok...so it doesn't matter if I +5 or +10 my weapon before I get it to elemental?
Also this makes me feel bad because I have 25 str :(

Nick Biped
May 22, 2004

In the wrong hands, the stapler is a deadly weapon.

TheLastRoboKy posted:

Man I don't know how you folks who are accidentally killing NPCs are doing it, whenever I see something new and/or threatening looking my first response is to roll backwards, put my shield up and start shrieking like a scared toddler. Then when I go near them to talk I keep my hands far away from the bumpers.

Eventually I stop shrieking.

I haven't attacked a NPC yet, but I came darn close once. It's the character right after you beat the Taurus Demon, who's standing alone staring into space (facing away from you and naturally opening himself up to a sneak attack) and who gives you that white stone. I was a second away from doing an attack since I thought it was an enemy, until I thought better of it and went up close enough to see the "Talk" button. This game sure makes you paranoid.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
I'm having trouble with summoning others. I've been summoned without problems a few times but whenever I try to summon another player it just says summoning failed. Has anybody else run into this?

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.

sighnoceros posted:

Asked this a while ago but didn't see any responses. Spoiler question for after the first bell:

OK so I rang the first bell and apparently some people are supposed to show up in Firelink Shrine? Some more White Covenant folks? Nobody's there, just the dude by the bonfire and the miracle-selling guy. Lautrec was here but I killed him. Is there something else I have to do for these people to show up? I haven't killed the Capra Demon yet.

They didn't show for me until after I killed a few more bosses I believe. I'm pretty sure it was after the Capra Demon or Moonlight Butterfly.

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.
I think I screwed myself out of a stone. I was in undead burg, just entered through the second foggy door where I'm on a type of bridge that leads to a place where a red dragon sits and spits out fire at you whenever you try to advance. Before you get to the dragon you see the Taurus demon. The demon ended up dropped off a cliff by accident, and it counted as me killing it. I got the souls, but does it drop anything? I hope I didn't miss a stone.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Talran posted:

Just get it up to +5 or +10, and if you've got the right embers it'll be an option, mind you only certain smiths can do certain elements. And no, one you trancend to elemental, you lose all stat influence (or usually do) but gain a ton of damage to make up for it.

Smiths:

Also, +5 is for first rank elements like magic/holy and 10+ is required for stronger elements like lightning it seems. Lightning is amazing.

Edit: To add, aside from the two knights we all hate, for which I used magic damage, Lightning is the end all gently caress you damage source to most things I've come across. +5 lightning wing spear? Yes please. STR and DEX no longer add to my damage, but I'll be damned if I don't wipe out ~1/3 of a bosses HP bar with a two-hand light combo.

Whats more to that is (fortress spoilers) I got a lightning spear from the first mimic I ran across. The lightning/fire enchants are pretty much the same as the fire enchant from demons souls. Behaves beautifully when you first get access to it because it does so much more damage than anything else you can get, but then drops off when you start getting higher stats for the weapons that do scale. It also would work well for someone who's not raising any of their attack stats (someone who is dumping all their souls into vitality and endurance to become an unkillable fast rolly gently caress in eastern armor or therebouts)

So Amor Lando: I'm in the area where the spear demons start appearing, and now I'm trying to run up a rampart with two black knights shooting loving lances at me. I can just shield block and run up, but once I hit the top the arrows come so fast that I can never close distance because of the knockback, and if I roll in he just swats me off the side and kills me. What am I suppose to be doing here?

Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

the history of all dead generations,
Dear From Software:
YOUR COCKSUCKING PRODUCT HAS REDUCED ME TO A GIBBERING MAN-APE WHOSE ONLY RESORT TO DEALING WITH THE ALMIGHTY loving GRIEF IT'S BESTOWED UPON ME IS TO SCREAM AND HURT MYSELF.

Seriously who the gently caress designs an elevator you have jump off of when the jump button is also the roll backwards button.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!
Is it bad that I am about 7-8 hours in and am only just delving into around the middle of Parish?

Holy cats.

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.

casual poster posted:

I think I screwed myself out of a stone. I was in undead burg, just entered through the second foggy door where I'm on a type of bridge that leads to a place where a red dragon sits and spits out fire at you whenever you try to advance. Before you get to the dragon you see the Taurus demon. The demon ended up dropped off a cliff by accident, and it counted as me killing it. I got the souls, but does it drop anything? I hope I didn't miss a stone.

It only has a rare random drop so don't worry about it.

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

So is there any way to beat the caped assholes that keep kicking my rear end?
I haven't really had a problem yet (I know I'm super early in the game) but these guys are just wrecking me unless I cheese it and throw 5 firebombs at them.

My current plan is basically block/dodge their attack, then poke them for 10 damage with my scimitar, then repeat 20 times until they fully heal themselves and I start all over or they parry my attack and I die in one hit.

I tried parrying a few times, but then they just do a double poke and I die in one combo.

I've got to be missing something with these guys, hell I killed that stupid boar on my first try.

LemonRind
Apr 26, 2010

CEO OF FUNHAVER ENTERPRISES
Ask me about making YOUR thread suck less!
Just got invaded for the first time, and was unlucky in that there was a rather pesky giant rat trying to gnaw me to death while the phantom swung at me. Very satisfying to actually kill him, and net 5k souls/humanity in the process.

bluegoon
Mar 5, 2010

by Pragmatica
Ive been playing for about 5 hours straight now, Im right under the dragon on the bridge, how far in the game am I about now? Still a lot more to go?

Talran
Sep 11, 2005

Be gone with you! You'll spoil my focus.

Nigulus Rex posted:

Ok...so it doesn't matter if I +5 or +10 my weapon before I get it to elemental?
Also this makes me feel bad because I have 25 str :(

Don't feel bad, upgrade a badass weapon, or just take it up "normal" non elemental. No problems there. And yeah, the +5 +10 does matter, it's the prereq for ascending them to different elements/levels, so no worries! :3:

DeathSandwich posted:

Whats more to that is (fortress spoilers) I got a lightning spear from the first mimic I ran across. The lightning/fire enchants are pretty much the same as the fire enchant from demons souls. Behaves beautifully when you first get access to it because it does so much more damage than anything else you can get, but then drops off when you start getting higher stats for the weapons that do scale. It also would work well for someone who's not raising any of their attack stats (someone who is dumping all their souls into vitality and endurance to become an unkillable fast rolly gently caress in eastern armor or therebouts)

So Amor Lando: I'm in the area where the spear demons start appearing, and now I'm trying to run up a rampart with two black knights shooting loving lances at me. I can just shield block and run up, but once I hit the top the arrows come so fast that I can never close distance because of the knockback, and if I roll in he just swats me off the side and kills me. What am I suppose to be doing here?

Pretty much, and if you don't grind much your first playthrough or go STR/END/VIT you might get more bang going elemental.

Anor Rondo: "Use Courage!" Just run up there and start poking the guy on the left from behind your shield. The guy on the right can't hit you I don't think. Don't roll on your way up, just tap block as they come in if they'll hit, otherwise, just run! That is not a part you can just sit back and block/walk up. Those are dragon hunter bows. :3:

Edit:

bluegoon posted:

Ive been playing for about 5 hours straight now, Im right under the dragon on the bridge, how far in the game am I about now? Still a lot more to go?

You're at the beginning of the game as far as I'm concerned. You still have another ~20 hours till you get both bells rung and have the Lordvessle at that rate.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Kaboobi posted:

So is there any way to beat the caped assholes that keep kicking my rear end?
I haven't really had a problem yet (I know I'm super early in the game) but these guys are just wrecking me unless I cheese it and throw 5 firebombs at them.

My current plan is basically block/dodge their attack, then poke them for 10 damage with my scimitar, then repeat 20 times until they fully heal themselves and I start all over or they parry my attack and I die in one hit.

I tried parrying a few times, but then they just do a double poke and I die in one combo.

I've got to be missing something with these guys, hell I killed that stupid boar on my first try.

You probably need to start looking at upgrading your weapon to start. If you have some titanite shards you can go to the blacksmith below firelink and upgrade it to +2 or +3. Barring that, if you want a cheesy early weapon to get go underneath the dragon bridge and shoot the dragon in the tail about 30 or 40 times to get a 200 damage sword.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

bluegoon posted:

You're maybe 4-5% of the way though the game.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

bluegoon posted:

You're less than 10% done.

bluegoon
Mar 5, 2010

by Pragmatica

DeathSandwich posted:

You're maybe 4-5% of the way though the game.

Holy poo poo, they weren't loving around when they said this game was... hard.

I really hope this game does well sales wise, its a fantastic experience.

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

DeathSandwich posted:

You probably need to start looking at upgrading your weapon to start. If you have some titanite shards you can go to the blacksmith below firelink and upgrade it to +2 or +3. Barring that, if you want a cheesy early weapon to get go underneath the dragon bridge and shoot the dragon in the tail about 30 or 40 times to get a 200 damage sword.

I've got that sword, but I'm a thief character with only like 11 strength.
I'll try upgrading my weapon when I actually get to a blacksmith, since the 2 in the undead chapel keep killing me, then I make the long long trek back up from the undead burg again over and over :(

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Kaboobi posted:

I've got that sword, but I'm a thief character with only like 11 strength.
I'll try upgrading my weapon when I actually get to a blacksmith, since the 2 in the undead chapel keep killing me, then I make the long long trek back up from the undead burg again over and over :(

You can go around the Chapel (and there's actually 3 in there). also, if you want a more convenient bonfire to get to the blacksmith from read my little guide on getting across the bridge.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3439963&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=124#post396297423

Talran
Sep 11, 2005

The Moon Monster posted:

You can go around the Chapel (and there's actually 3 in there). also, if you want a more convenient bonfire to get to the blacksmith from read my little guide on getting across the bridge.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3439963&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=124#post396297423

Or better yet, make a dash past those guys and out to the right.....Since he even sells the shards to get to +5 >.>

Edit: Also, your secret zone is where I made my delicious pact with the ancient dragon about a week ago. :3:

Henry Fungletrumpet
Dec 1, 2008

Nick Biped posted:

I haven't attacked a NPC yet, but I came darn close once. It's the character right after you beat the Taurus Demon, who's standing alone staring into space (facing away from you and naturally opening himself up to a sneak attack) and who gives you that white stone. I was a second away from doing an attack since I thought it was an enemy, until I thought better of it and went up close enough to see the "Talk" button. This game sure makes you paranoid.

My policy is to try targeting any character I'm not sure about. It won't let you lock on to friendly NPCs.

Talran
Sep 11, 2005

Henry Fungletrumpet posted:

My policy is to try targeting any character I'm not sure about. It won't let you lock on to friendly NPCs.

It let's you lock onto neutral though.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Just a reminder:
Dark Souls IRC goonchat is found in #FROMGoons on irc.synirc.net, if you need help and want a goon to help you out, or to attempt to coordinate planned white/red stoning.

If it could be added to the OP, that's be nice. Also covers Demons Souls and... I dunno, Metal Wolf Chaos or 3D Dot Game Heroes or whatever.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Do Pyromancy spells scale, at all, with Intelligence or just from upgrading the catalyst? My friend tells me that he see people saying that the intelligence benefit only effects the catalyst damage itself. If spell damage does scale from the intelligence stat then why are people saying it doesn't and intelligence only effects the catalyst damage (melee attack)?

Phonics
Apr 6, 2009

by XyloJW
Can someone explain how you kick / jump attack on the 360 controller? The tutorial says left stick + RB / RT but I just get normal attacks.

also do pots / crates ever contain anything or is it a waste of time to smash them

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

What happens in 3rd Street stays in 3rd Street.

On the Capra demon now, I get everyones complaints about it. First time I managed to kill both dogs and seemed to be doing okay but then he just backed me into a corner and flattened me. I'll get it.

As a dex based thief character, is there any really useful weapons I could get at this point to make the game a little easier on me? I'm still using my bandit knife, it's at +3 and is great for backstabs but for little else.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Phonics posted:

Can someone explain how you kick / jump attack on the 360 controller? The tutorial says left stick + RB / RT but I just get normal attacks.

also do pots / crates ever contain anything or is it a waste of time to smash them

Flick it and attack at the same time.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Jimbot posted:

Do Pyromancy spells scale, at all, with Intelligence or just from upgrading the catalyst? My friend tells me that he see people saying that the intelligence benefit only effects the catalyst damage itself. If spell damage does scale from the intelligence stat then why are people saying it doesn't and intelligence only effects the catalyst damage (melee attack)?

Hmm, the guide doesn't really go into detail about this. It lists the scaling the same as a catalyst or talisman, but I have no idea if that means it's only for the melee attack or not. I assumed it scaled all damage done with the flame.

I'm getting pretty close to the Pyromancy trainer, I'll do some testing once I get there to confirm it one way or another.

sighnoceros
Mar 11, 2007
:qq: GOONS ARE MEAN :qq:

Thievery posted:

On the Capra demon now, I get everyones complaints about it. First time I managed to kill both dogs and seemed to be doing okay but then he just backed me into a corner and flattened me. I'll get it.

As a dex based thief character, is there any really useful weapons I could get at this point to make the game a little easier on me? I'm still using my bandit knife, it's at +3 and is great for backstabs but for little else.

I started off planning on being dex-based too, but on your first character you're probably want to going to be a little more balanced so you can use a better weapon if it comes around while you hunt for the next good dex weapon, or until you can get them upgraded etc. I still plan on being mostly dex-focused, but I threw in some strength too so I can switch stuff up when needed.

That said, I have no idea where you can find a good dex weapon this early that will help with poo poo you can't backstab.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Crowbear posted:

Hmm, the guide doesn't really go into detail about this. It lists the scaling the same as a catalyst or talisman, but I have no idea if that means it's only for the melee attack or not. I assumed it scaled all damage done with the flame.

I'm getting pretty close to the Pyromancy trainer, I'll do some testing once I get there to confirm it one way or another.

Alright, I cleared it up once and for all. It does not scale with Intelligence. No bonus to your magic damage is shown and only your melee attack with the catalyst receives the bonus. I'm doing Sorcery too so pumping all my points in Intelligence wasn't wasted but man, that's a bummer to learn. Though it does make your stat progression more flexible and allows you to wield other weapons a Sorcerer can't.

Morbleu
Jun 13, 2006

Talran posted:

Don't feel bad, upgrade a badass weapon, or just take it up "normal" non elemental. No problems there. And yeah, the +5 +10 does matter, it's the prereq for ascending them to different elements/levels, so no worries! :3:

Pretty much, and if you don't grind much your first playthrough or go STR/END/VIT you might get more bang going elemental.

Well, I've already been grinding, which is why I'm like level 38 and I've only gotten to the gargoyle bell. I have 20 end, 20 vit, 25 str, and like 12 dex. So I guess I'll just keep dumping into str?

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

bluegoon posted:

Holy poo poo, they weren't loving around when they said this game was... hard.

I really hope this game does well sales wise, its a fantastic experience.

Demons Souls greatly surpassed From Softwares sales estimates, Dark Souls is currently the #1 chart game in Japan, and judging from how Amazon US/EU have struggled to meet sales demands I would say it's done pretty drat well outside of Japan too.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Jimbot posted:

Alright, I cleared it up once and for all. It does not scale with Intelligence. No bonus to your magic damage is shown and only your melee attack with the catalyst receives the bonus. I'm doing Sorcery too so pumping all my points in Intelligence wasn't wasted but man, that's a bummer to learn. Though it does make your stat progression more flexible and allows you to wield other weapons a Sorcerer can't.

Well that sucks. Please disregard my previous posts about pyromancy scaling everyone!

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Reading up on the different covenants, it seems like a pretty cool thing. Could the problem with not finding enough people to invade or join up to kill a boss be an issue with the covenants? Like being in a covenant would increase the chance of being around like minded people? So if you are in a pve covenant then you would most likely be around people that pve. Or if you are in a pvp covenant you'll be around pvpers.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
A little confusion over how the White Soapstone works. Is it used to summon other players to you, or does it let other players summon you to them?

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.

The.GreyWolf posted:

Anyone know why I can't wield the Gargoyle Axe?

Anyone? It says my stats don't meet the requirements.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Pierson posted:

A little confusion over how the White Soapstone works. Is it used to summon other players to you, or does it let other players summon you to them?

The latter. If you want to summon dudes to you, you have to be in human form and find their white sign (usually before a boss or at the start of an area). If you want to BE summoned, use the white soapstone and chill out for a while, someone'll be around eventually if you're in a good spot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

So I just defeated the Stray Demon, without getting hit once :smug: after like 15 tries. Now I don't really know where to go in the game. So far I've rang the first bell after the gargoyles and the carpus demon or whatever it's called, any clue as to where I should go next?

Verisimilidude fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Oct 7, 2011

• Locked thread