Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

I am holding a live frag grenade.
Welp, I dropped my summon sign in the depths while I was grinding slimes and a dude summoned me. We got to the cruse-frogs and I started clearing them out, as I was pretty much immune with 21 humanity. Then behind me I hear a loud "Urgh!" and see that he's been one-shotted.

Also, you still only get one sun medal with two sun knights in your game. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

So I need an item to leave rate messages right? I feel like I missed this somewhere along the line. I am like 15 hours in and I feel ike I should have this already.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Vanguard Warden posted:

Also, you still only get one sun medal with two sun knights in your game. :(
I have three sun medals, but I have no idea where they came from...

edit: my god the moonlight butterfly spear is weak. Reading on the Japanese wiki, when it is at +5 and you have 50 magic, it has an attack power of 320. My lightning halberd is 440 right now. I'm going to do something I have never done before, discard a demon's soul and take the spear back to +10.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Oct 7, 2011

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

NESguerilla posted:

So I need an item to leave rate messages right? I feel like I missed this somewhere along the line. I am like 15 hours in and I feel ike I should have this already.

Merchant in the Burg sells it.

Samurai Sanders posted:

I have three sun medals, but I have no idea where they came from...
You had a member of the Sun covenant with you when you killed a boss. Either an NPC summoned phantom or a PC who has a covenant (they show up as gold phantoms instead of white).

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Rascyc posted:

Merchant in the Burg sells it.

Oh ha. Can't believe I missed that.

Defghanistan
Feb 9, 2010

2base2furious
Ok New Londo ghosts are murdering me. Walk into a room, surrounded by 6 ghosts. Coming from every single direction at once.

I've now been drinking since 9am.

"The real darkk shouls starshere."

Boosh!
Apr 12, 2002
Oven Wrangler

The Moon Monster posted:

Also: Don't drop it in the big nest that the giant crow drops you in, drop it in a smaller nest with a talking crow near there.

Ahh that's why suppose. Where's the little nest?

edit: Found it, fingers crossed (he didn't crow)

edit: Woot! thank LAWD!

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

Happy Blue Cow posted:

Non-Spoiler: It's part of the main story path, and it opens later on; you cannot miss it.

Spoiler: It opens when you ring both bells

Where is this gate? I rang both bells and now have no idea what to do.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Boosh! posted:

Ahh that's why suppose. Where's the little nest?

edit: Found it, fingers crossed (he didn't crow)

It's off on a ledge. Facing the asylum it should be to the left if I remember correctly. Facing the nest, it should be on the right. Do a little exploring out on the cliff, it's there. Some voice acting triggers when you get near it.

Partial Octopus posted:

The floor above the blacksmith in the Undead Parish, the area you traversed to the first bell. The floor has a bonfire in the center and a doorway that leads to it.

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.

Partial Octopus posted:

It's right next to the blacksmith in the Parish.

Priam
Jun 27, 2004

Is anyone else having fps-related issues in Blighttown on their PS3? Seems to get really choppy, wondering if it's just me or what.

this troper
Apr 4, 2011

:o

Funkmaster General posted:

2) What happened to the merchant in the sewers, right next to the door to blight town? I went back with enough souls to buy his suit of armor, but he wasn't there. Is he gone for good, or did he relocated to someplace else?

Check under the aqueduct by Firelink shrine.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Priam posted:

Is anyone else having fps-related issues in Blighttown on their PS3? Seems to get really choppy, wondering if it's just me or what.
The game has a couple of FPS issues but yes, it is at its worst in Blight town. It is a train wreck at times.

I also get a mess of FPS issues whenever I phantom in someone else's game or vice versia.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Did you think there'd be a hint?:

Sheep-Goats posted:

If you equip that flip ring does your encumbrance then effect your flip speed or is it one flip fits all? Could someone please test their flips in super heavy armor vs light armor?

Bruc
May 30, 2006
Sorry if I missed it but this thread moves very fast, I didn't play the first game, and am picking this up today, I was thinking of playing a lightly armored rogue type but is that going to be a bad choice for a beginner player? this game seems hard enough as it is so I am hoping to go for one of the easier class types for my first playthrough.

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

evilalien posted:

It's right next to the blacksmith in the Parish.

Oh, the one that leads to Sen's fortress? I thought I was way too low for that. The two lizardmen at the front keep destroying me.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Two questions:

1) Is there a recurring source of large titanite shards? Also, where, how, etc.

Yes, in the fortress near where you fight the boss. On those narrow catwalks where you dodged bombs there is a broken bridge, jump across it. There is a guy that sells those and green shards for like 4k each.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Oct 7, 2011

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Partial Octopus posted:

Oh, the one that leads to Sen's fortress? I thought I was way too low for that. The two lizardmen at the front keep destroying me.

You can explore and do other areas if you like, but that is where you are supposed to go to progress with the story.

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

Bruc posted:

Sorry if I missed it but this thread moves very fast, I didn't play the first game, and am picking this up today, I was thinking of playing a lightly armored rogue type but is that going to be a bad choice for a beginner player? this game seems hard enough as it is so I am hoping to go for one of the easier class types for my first playthrough.

Classes only determine your starting stats and gear. They don't mean anything after the first hour or two of the game. Pick whatever looks cool sounds fun to you and you'll be fine.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Bruc posted:

Rolling still has a place but I feel like a lot of the early game is tight quarter fighting. Having good timing with the shield has been way better for me than rolling lately.

That being said I still wear light armor just so I can roll. Having a good shield is independent of your armor, but you do want to upgrade it for stability and also level END to have a larger stamina pool in general (which helps you wear heavier armor when you need it eventually).

END is such a god-stat in general. I'd suggest focusing more on how you level your stats, that way you can always change your armor style if you wish later on. If you're worried about classes - I wouldn't be. There's a lot of loot in general to start you off and you'll make due one way or the other.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug
The OP doesn't really tell the goddamn important part about trading with the Crow girl - it needs to be updated. After you make it back to the undead asylum, you'll be walking down a path. On your left there'll be a ledge and a crow nest, when you get close someone will talk to you. Drop the item to trade in the nest, then exit the game and come back.

Aug
Sep 8, 2004

Got Smuff?
After a good session last night i've got a full set of leather, black leather, knight, elite knight, chainmail, and hollow suits. Hurray for dark souls dressup barbie-knight-murderer minigame! Oh and that leafshield that regens stamina coupled with my winged spear/zwiehander is fantastic.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Two questions:

1) Is there a recurring source of large titanite shards? Also, where, how, etc.
I was farming the slimes in the sewers, in the hallway right outside of the bonfire, in order to get some green titanite for holy weapons. One of the kills on the slimes did drop a large titanite shard, so you can definitely get them as drops from respawning enemies.

Macksy
Oct 20, 2008
I know people have probably asked this enough already, but...

The pendant and the masterkey. The pendant sounds like something that will be good later, and the masterkey sounds like something that can get me phatlootz and make me overpowered fast(which I don't really want), but might screw me out of visiting some area(s) of the game. Am I right?

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Sounds about right. I would say that people are probably overvaluing the master key though. It doesn't open anything you can't eventually open. I think it makes more sense to get the key on a second playthrough, when you know exactly what you are sequence breaking yourself into and for what purpose.

Just pick the class you want and go for the pendant, I say.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Just a tip for anyone who was planning on joining Blades of the Darkmoon on the 360. Don't do it yet. As of right now there are only 159 guilty players in the world and I've never successfully invaded any of them. :smith:

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009
So just got this game, and made it through the Asylum without dying :smug: Next part, I decide to take the lift down and, seeing an undead lying next to a drop, decide to kick him off. Only I screw it up, swing instead of kick, miss, and the momentum takes me over the edge :ughh: That'll learn me!

Also, where's this merchant in the Burg? I've just unlocked the shortcut to the bonfire just before the fire-throwing cocks, have I passed it or is it just ahead?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
I'm actually regretting taking master key on my first play (well actually I didn't "take" it so much as start as a thief), since it's made the game a bit more confusing in terms of figuring out where I am and where I should be at my level. It's really more of a second play sort of item when you know where everything is.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I thought the special invading item they gave you for joining an pvp covenant guaranteed that you'd invade a desired player. Like the dragon one target players with scales, the darkmoon targeted guilty players? I guess the amount of people just isnt that high yet.

Aug
Sep 8, 2004

Got Smuff?
Behind the camp spot. Theres a walkway before you go up the stairs. Go across, kill the two shield-spear guys, and go down some steps blocked by crates.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Cao Ni Ma posted:

I thought the special invading item they gave you for joining an pvp covenant guaranteed that you'd invade a desired player. Like the dragon one target players with scales, the darkmoon targeted guilty players? I guess the amount of people just isnt that high yet.

At least for the Darkmoon item, when you use the item it just says "Searching for guilty players world..." before eventually saying "Failed to invade". At first I thought it was network issues on my end but my NAT is open and every other game works.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I'm actually regretting taking master key on my first play (well actually I didn't "take" it so much as start as a thief), since it's made the game a bit more confusing in terms of figuring out where I am and where I should be at my level. It's really more of a second play sort of item when you know where everything is.
It's really not that much more confusing when you think about it. Even doing the first quest, it actually only opens maybe two alternative paths that you may not want to access.

It does give you access to some nice early game loot but unfortunately one of them appears to be poo poo/buggy (the shortsword).

But yeah, master key isn't as important as originally thought. Just pick what you like.

Corponation
Apr 21, 2007

Fantastic.
I'm getting close to the bottom of BlightTown and now I'm standing in a swamp that poisons me when I step into it. I am also surrounded by bugs. Am I really going to have to take the poison damage and run through there or did I take a wrong turn?

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Yeah, having taken the master key, I wish I had taken the witch's ring instead.

Corponation posted:

I'm getting close to the bottom of BlightTown and now I'm standing in a swamp that poisons me when I step into it. I am also surrounded by bugs. Am I really going to have to take the poison damage and run through there or did I take a wrong turn?

Yeah, you need to trudge through that. If you came down from the Valley of the Drakes, follow the left wall to find a bonfire in a cave. If you came down from the Depths, then follow the right wall to find the same bonfire.

evilalien fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Oct 7, 2011

Phonics
Apr 6, 2009

by XyloJW
Is there any point to saving the items that give you souls? Also still need help with kicking + jump attacking on the 360 controller. I press forward and attack at the exact same time and get a kick maybe 10% of the time.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Aug posted:

Behind the camp spot. Theres a walkway before you go up the stairs. Go across, kill the two shield-spear guys, and go down some steps blocked by crates.

Huh. Is it possible to drag his arse to the bonfire so he's not off the beaten path?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Phonics posted:

Also still need help with kicking + jump attacking on the 360 controller. I press forward and attack at the exact same time and get a kick maybe 10% of the time.

You just gotta practice, I can do it every time.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
edit:beaten

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

I am holding a live frag grenade.
Can anyone here actually confirm that the slimes in the depths have dropped green titanite for them? Because so far I've gotten a whole lot of nothing and a handful of large titanite shards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Rascyc posted:

It's really not that much more confusing when you think about it. Even doing the first quest, it actually only opens maybe two alternative paths that you may not want to access.

Heh, I opened a door, walked through, and the area name "Valley of the Drakes" popped up. I fled screaming.

• Locked thread