Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
redhalo
May 19, 2009

Daemonite posted:

Alright, I'm going to be the jerk I guess. As much as I love this series, I'm not very excited about this release. I'm curious if anyone else feels the same way.

The demo showed a much improved cockpit mode and the new physics system is sweet, but where is the content? There's really only four new tracks (be honest with yourself, the Top Gear track is a gimmick that will get old pretty quickly). While the graphics have improved, they are drowned out by overdone contrast and lighting effects. It's like Forza 3 with the ENB-Series shader mod applied to it.

It has a distinct recycled feeling that's worse than the move from GT3 to GT4 for those of you who remember that. I know I'll get this game eventually, but I have a feeling I'll burn out on it pretty quickly from all the similarities to its predecessor.

Aside from more tacks, what additional content could you want? It's a racing sim, Forza 3 had cars that you race, Forza 4 has cars that you race. The only thing you can really add would be more cars, better graphics, better physics, better audio, better way to engage the player, etc that Forza 4 has provided. Are you really poo pooing over just the number of tracks and your opinion that there is too much contrast in a snow environment?

edit: for that matter, I suspect that the few people who are disapointed in the graphics should set up the settings on their TV's cause it looks god drat beautiful on my end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bsamu
Mar 11, 2006

I am a controller and no assists racer (except for simulation steering) and I am soooo fuckin pumped for this release.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

If he is like me, he falls into the camp that is more concerned about real world race tracks, than cars. But Forza 4 has some of my absolute favorite tracks, mixed with the ALMS race cars, so it's a no brainer.

redhalo
May 19, 2009

I understand the concern for lack of tracks, but to say this release is contentless is mindblowing.

pvax
Aug 6, 2001

Yeah - 500+ cars is plenty enough for me. Especially if you add in engine swaps and abilty to set them up in multiple classes etc ...

I'd much rather we got regular Track DLC releases than Car Pack DLC any day. I also agree with the Gamespot review that I would have rather the disc space go to more tracks than to something like Autovista (even though it is pretty cool - to look at once).

Still, I'm as excited as a kid is when waiting for the first day of summer.

pvax fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Oct 7, 2011

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
I set a top 2% on the Ferrari 458 rivals run last night. I think I was like 3,500-something. I always have so much more fun with these demos than the real game. I just wish the time trial without other cars on the track wasn't with such a ridiculous car. It's fun trying to pass perfectly and strategize against them in turns but sometimes I just brush the outside edge of a turn or nick some stupid audi on the last turn and I want to poo poo.

Daemonite
Apr 25, 2002

redhalo posted:

Aside from more tacks, what additional content could you want? It's a racing sim, Forza 3 had cars that you race, Forza 4 has cars that you race. The only thing you can really add would be more cars, better graphics, better physics, better audio, better way to engage the player, etc that Forza 4 has provided. Are you really poo pooing over just the number of tracks and your opinion that there is too much contrast in a snow environment?

edit: for that matter, I suspect that the few people who are disapointed in the graphics should set up the settings on their TV's cause it looks god drat beautiful on my end.
Bathurst, a more accurate Nurburgring (GT5, even with all of its horrible problems, still wins here), and maybe a couple remakes of fan favorites missing since Forza 1. There really were fantasy tracks just a fun as Maple Valley, believe it or not!

Regarding the graphics, this is the first game where I've had to change my Xbox video settings from Expanded to Limited. The game crushes blacks and whites and has a really slow HDR transition, like worse than that one Half-life 2 tech demo. Check out the tunnel in the demo for example.

edit: Don't get me wrong, I'm a fan of this series, but I can't ignore the overwhelming feeling of sameness.

Daemonite fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Oct 7, 2011

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Don't forget the new gameplay additions

- Rivals mode - Awesome because it's like a big, organized "let's see who's the fastest" challenge which is what a lot of us end up doing anyway
- World tour - Cool that the ai difficulty adjusts around you automatically, good for credit harvesting I guess?
- Manufaturer's Alliance - I think this will keep the game fresh so you don't have to grind and grind to get credits to buy all the different cars and mod them out.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

pvax posted:

Yeah - 500+ cars is plenty enough for me. Especially if you add in engine swaps and abilty to set them up in multiple classes etc ...

I'd much rather we got regular Track DLC releases than Car Pack DLC any day. I also agree with the Gamespot review that I would have rather the disc space go to more tracks than to something like Autovista.

Still, I'm as excited as a kid is when waiting for the first day of summer.

The disc space is not the issue here, development time is - isn't the second DVD like 2GB. Granted HDD space might be a problem for the Arcade and 20 gig models.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Turn-10 said it takes one year to create a race track.

Daemonite
Apr 25, 2002

dreesemonkey posted:

Don't forget the new gameplay additions

- Rivals mode - Awesome because it's like a big, organized "let's see who's the fastest" challenge which is what a lot of us end up doing anyway
- World tour - Cool that the difficult adjust around you automatically, good for credit harvesting I guess?
- Manufaturer's Alliance - I think this will keep the game fresh so you don't have to grind and grind to get credits to buy all the different cars and mod them out.
I like the rivals mode, good point. But leveling manufacturers instead of cars isn't really revolutionary and it devalues the in-game currency. I do like that I can eventually just focus on buying more cars, though.

Sprat Sandwich posted:

The disc space is not the issue here, development time is - isn't the second DVD like 2GB. Granted HDD space might be a problem for the Arcade and 20 gig models.
This reminds me, I would have gladly waited for a later release for a few more tracks and cars. There is already an over saturation of holiday rush games anyway.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

Daemonite posted:

Regarding the graphics, this is the first game where I've had to change my Xbox video settings from Expanded to Limited. The game crushes blacks and whites and has a really slow HDR transition, like worse than that one Half-life 2 tech demo. Check out the tunnel in the demo for example.

I really have no problems with the contrast at all. It seems appropriate for a high-altitude, sunny day track in a snowy environment. Are you sure your TV/monitor is properly calibrated?

I said come in! posted:

Turn-10 said it takes one year to create a race track.

drat. That kinda limits the possibilities regarding DLC. I won't lie, I wouldn't mind paying for Bathurst or Spa.

BlackLaser
Dec 2, 2005

Daemonite posted:

Alright, I'm going to be the jerk I guess...

If you didn't get in the Zonda and start throwing money at your television about halfway through a lap from just the sound of it, then maybe this game isn't for you. :tipshat:

BrokenKnees
Aug 28, 2008

Ow.
Since I got the email that the LCE shipped yesterday, and the email saying it was cancelled today, I'm currently crossing my fingers that it will still show up on my doorstep. $20 and 1600 mspts is nice, but it doesn't replace all the extras from the LCE.

Any goons having luck with any US stores/sites that are still in stock?

Daemonite
Apr 25, 2002

GhostDog posted:

I really have no problems with the contrast at all. It seems appropriate for a high-altitude, sunny day track in a snowy environment. Are you sure your TV/monitor is properly calibrated?
Yeah, trust me, I have a movie mode calibrated with Digital Video Essentials and a separate custom mode for a bit more contrast and saturation. I'm a terrible person that reads AVS Forum occasionally. There have been a lot of complaints about the lighting in the game.

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Charming, friendly, and possessed by demons.
Approach with caution.
MOTHER FUCKER.

Best Buy cancelled my order as well. Now where to go?

redhalo
May 19, 2009

BrokenKnees posted:

Since I got the email that the LCE shipped yesterday, and the email saying it was cancelled today, I'm currently crossing my fingers that it will still show up on my doorstep. $20 and 1600 mspts is nice, but it doesn't replace all the extras from the LCE.

Any goons having luck with any US stores/sites that are still in stock?

Target. I had to rebook an order for my brother's birthday present. They can still ship for Tuesday if you expedite.

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

Daemonite posted:

Alright, I'm going to be the jerk I guess. As much as I love this series, I'm not very excited about this release. I'm curious if anyone else feels the same way.

The demo showed a much improved cockpit mode and the new physics system is sweet, but where is the content? There's really only four new tracks (be honest with yourself, the Top Gear track is a gimmick that will get old pretty quickly). While the graphics have improved, they are drowned out by overdone contrast and lighting effects. It's like Forza 3 with the ENB-Series shader mod applied to it.

It has a distinct recycled feeling that's worse than the move from GT3 to GT4 for those of you who remember that. I know I'll get this game eventually, but I have a feeling I'll burn out on it pretty quickly from all the similarities to its predecessor.

I feel the same way, the only new tracks I'm excited for is the Bernese Alps (which is fantastic to drive around) and Infineon. I suppose I'd be more excited if all five of the new tracks were ones I like but considering we're losing a few tracks already (New York, Amalfi full, Bugatti Circuit at La Sarthe) along with the Porsche license, I think it would have been better if they just released DLC for Forza 3 instead of making a new game since the new content is minimal and we could have kept the missing tracks and Porsche. Ok so the physics were terrible but Turn 10 could have just patched them anyways.

I mean with the jump from GT3 to GT4 they at least piled on a ridiculous amount of new tracks and cars so there was plenty to justify the jump. Well, you could also say improved lighting and physics too (hurr) but that's to be expected with sequels anyways so I don't consider it a sufficient selling point for any game.

I guess the real stinger though is that this game will have day 1 DLC, which I just find really cheeky when they're not exactly packing that much new content on the disc in the first place anyways. It's not like they've run out of space considering the second disc is less than a quarter full so holding back content is a dick move in my eyes. I'm probably gonna skip buying the game new and buy a cheap used copy in a couple months, or just wait for the "gently caress all of you who bought our game" edition with all the DLC and exclusive content in a years time.

Of course if the new tracks comprised of the Alps, Infineon, Bathurst, Spa, Brands Hatch etc I'd be all over this :swoon:

redhalo
May 19, 2009

Daemonite posted:

There have been a lot of complaints about the lighting in the game.

I think you are literaly only the second person to address such lighting concerns around these parts.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Daemonite posted:

I'm pretty excited but only because I didn't play 3 a whole lot, so it's not going to feel quite as much like the same thing over again.

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

Daemonite posted:

So now your clipping 0-15 and 236-255, good job I guess

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

:hawaaaafap:

This is quite simply amazing. if you can put the continental supersports drivetrain into this and pump it up to 1084 horsepower, i would never get out of it.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

MUFFlNS posted:

I guess the real stinger though is that this game will have day 1 DLC, which I just find really cheeky when they're not exactly packing that much new content on the disc in the first place anyways. It's not like they've run out of space considering the second disc is less than a quarter full so holding back content is a dick move in my eyes. I'm probably gonna skip buying the game new and buy a cheap used copy in a couple months, or just wait for the "gently caress all of you who bought our game" edition with all the DLC and exclusive content in a years time.

I hadn't paid attention to this game at all and I was going to boycott it when a friend told me about day 1 DLC. That's lovely and I hope it flops (along with the following DLC). I don't want to pay $60 for a game and then $10 each month for a handfull of different cars that should be in there anyway. It's just a completely blatant money grab and it will only ever get worse if it succeeds.

Then I heard about the top gear test track and got all giddy and forgot about boycotting it :(

I think rivals mode is going to sell it for me. Both the demo for 3 and the demo for 4 have me aching to play and see if I can improve my times. When I'm doing the regular "single player" stuff it's a bit more boring so this will keep me going to see how I stack up.

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Charming, friendly, and possessed by demons.
Approach with caution.

redhalo posted:

Target. I had to rebook an order for my brother's birthday present. They can still ship for Tuesday if you expedite.

Done. Thank you. This Best Buy bullshit has seriously pissed me off. Don't take pre-orders for games with exclusive pre-order content and limited edition stuff if you can't actually deliver on it.

TannhauserGate
Nov 25, 2007

by garbage day

GhostDog posted:

Spa.

The biggest thing missing from Forza at this point.

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

redhalo posted:

I think you are literaly only the second person to address such lighting concerns around these parts.

The only complaint I have about lighting is that the interiors of the cars are way too dark and make it difficult to see the instrument panels. If it's sunny and clear outside, I should have no trouble making out the dials, but in F4 I can only see them if the sun is hitting them just perfectly.

Otherwise, I love the way the lighting system looks in this game. It's much better than F3.

PopeOnARope
Jul 23, 2007

Hey! Quit touching my junk!

einTier posted:

Done. Thank you. This Best Buy bullshit has seriously pissed me off. Don't take pre-orders for games with exclusive pre-order content and limited edition stuff if you can't actually deliver on it.

This is nowhere near the first time they did it. They delayed my order for F3:UCE around two months due to "Demand". Do they just order one skid of the games for the whole chain or something?

Daemonite
Apr 25, 2002

MUFFlNS posted:

lots of stuff
You know, I had temporarily forgotten about the Porsche license, that does hurt a lot. I know I can't blame Turn 10 for that though. And I agree, the launch day DLC, along with the DLC season pass, seems a bit aggressive this time around.

redhalo posted:

There is a really strange and scary world outside of Something Awful that also discusses racing games.

hitze posted:

So now your clipping 0-15 and 236-255, good job I guess
Yeah, I guess that's a bit ironic. But it ups the brightness significantly.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

MUFFlNS posted:

Ok so the physics were terrible but Turn 10 could have just patched them anyways.

Yes, they could have just patched a new physics engine into the game including updating all the performance data for the cars to work with said new physics engine and also adding another 4 cars (8 in multi) to the track while keeping everything at 60 FPS :rolleyes:

redhalo
May 19, 2009

einTier posted:

Of course, now I'm half expecting an email from Target saying the same thing.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

redhalo posted:

Stop trying to buy it from Target, get it at DeepDiscount.com for $69.99 base, with free shipping. Upgrading to overnight costs $10 and puts you right at retail price.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

real_scud posted:

Stop trying to buy it from Target, get it at DeepDiscount.com for $69.99 base, with free shipping. Upgrading to overnight costs $10 and puts you right at retail price.

Out at deepdiscount, but got my order changed to Target.

edit: Maybe I'll still get to drive the BMW 1M by buying it from someone else.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

Residency Evil posted:

Out at deepdiscount, but got my order changed to Target.
Holy crap they must've just ran out because they were in stock as I made my post.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
I'm only hyped about this for one reason. Playing Forza every Wednesday with my bros.

If I had an option to skip the singleplayer (but have unlimited moneys) I'd take it.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Anyone who doesn't think Forza 4 is a big improvement probably plays with assists and can't tell the difference. I had to stop watching that giant bomb review because he was saying that it was pretty much the same game but looks better. Then he went to his difficulty settings and he had assisted steering and braking. Like I'm going to trust the opinion of a guy who plays racing games on easy mode.

Tanz-Kommandant
Dec 25, 2009

Radio Message from HQ:
Dance Commander
:h:WE LOVE YOU:h:
Got the BestBuy dread e-mail, started to pre-order the LCE through Target but noticed that my order hasn't been refunded so I called BestBuy.

"Your order will be shipped or can be picked up on October 11th, please press 1 if you have any questions."

1 MOTHERFUCKER 11!!1!!1!!1!!11!1

Now I'm on hold :smith:

redhalo
May 19, 2009

Daemonite posted:

You know, I had temporarily forgotten about the Porsche license, that does hurt a lot. I know I can't blame Turn 10 for that though. And I agree, the launch day DLC, along with the DLC season pass, seems a bit aggressive this time around.

drat, I had practically forgotten about this until now. This is upsetting, but I still hope for Porche DLC down the road.

Daemonite posted:

There is a really strange and scary world outside of Something Awful that also discusses racing games.

Can you please direct me to where everyone is discussing how bad the lighting looks.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

There is someone selling the Limited Edition, used, on Amazon for $5,222 if you are desperate enough.

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

Newegg just went out of stock of LCE as well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
RE: Porsche

It's my cynicism showing through but I'm willing to bet turn 10 will "be able to negotiate a deal" with EA to grace us with a small set of porsche cars after they've run out of other DLC options.

Write that poo poo down, it will probably happen.

• Locked thread