Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

:stare: It just all clicked. One minute I was getting the crap beaten out of me (yet again) by some unstoppable force with 2 hit KOs, the next? Backstabbing rolling and kicking rear end at a molecular level.

I know its probably short lived but its crazy how much better I got at the game by just realising a handful of concepts (Quick is better than Strong, Dodge More, Use Space, Backstab, positioning).

For anyone who is really really struggling the best advice I think is seriously, watch your environment, don't fight in small spaces if you can help it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AzMiLion
Dec 29, 2010

Truck you say?

Just a quick progress question, how long has it taken everyone else to get to Sens Castle? I'm at the 20 hour point and at soul level 36, the only boss I haven't killed yet is the Hydra and I haven't been to new Londo at all.

charismaslover posted:

Gaping Dragon ain't no thang :c00l:

Being cursed is no fun, where's the closest place I can get a cure? :negative:

Sewer shortcut vendor has them for 6K a pop. have fun grinding out the souls. it took me wya to long to fix my curse due to me getting inpatient and dying to dumb poo poo. :/

UberJumper posted:

Does anyone have a recommendation for a weapon? Drake sword simply is not cutting it for me any more. So i am guessing i need to start upgrading a weapon using the titanite stones. What is a good replacement for the drake sword?

I joined the gravelord covenant, the weapon you get for that is pretty brutal once upgraded.

AzMiLion fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Oct 8, 2011

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop
Does anyone have a recommendation for a weapon? Drake sword simply is not cutting it for me any more. So i am guessing i need to start upgrading a weapon using the titanite stones. What is a good replacement for the drake sword?

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues
Took my first plunge into the depths after placing a summon sign just because, and ended up being summoned and getting guided through the sewers by the second helpful phantom the host summoned. It made my little jaunt down much easier and I'll be ready to summon some help and be summoned probably tomorrow night because I want to kill me some Gaping Dragon over and over again just to buy all that armour that the depths vendor sells FOR NO GOOD REASON OTHER THAN TO HAVE IT.

I want all the armours. All of them. The fancier the better.

Tarradax
Jan 8, 2008

It will work!

evilalien posted:

Go back to the pool of water underneath the giant crow in Firelink where you may have heard snoring before.

Either I'm blind or there's nothing here... What exactly am I looking for?

charismaslover
Dec 3, 2006

Too stylish for this world...

AzMiLion posted:

Sewer shortcut vendor has them for 6K a pop. have fun grinding out the souls. it took me wya to long to fix my curse due to me getting inpatient and dying to dumb poo poo. :/

Thanks to the Gaping Dragon I have 25000 souls, now I just need to make it to him without dying.

AzMiLion
Dec 29, 2010

Truck you say?

charismaslover posted:

Thanks to the Gaping Dragon I have 25000 souls, now I just need to make it to him without dying.

Facing from the gate to blighttown, One of the smaller hallways to the left leads almost straight to the sewer bonfire. from there it's a pretty safe route.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Just a quick question, I should be upgrading my basic weapons and armour asap right? I can afford it, at the first blacksmith, and with some mild grinding could easy get my Wanderer outfit to +1, easy. my Scimitar is already +2

Killbot
Jun 19, 2003

You know, you kids really ought to stop getting involved with this stuff.
I spent a couple of hours farming souls and upgrading my elite knight armor and hollow shield after reading about how much hell the Capra Demon gave everyone in this thread. Then I go in and one-shot the guy. Felt awesome.

I also went and fought Havel. Died the first time because I tried to roll instead of block (I play a vit/endurance heavy knight), so the second try I actually used my shield and I won.

Time to venture into the depths.

Henry Fungletrumpet
Dec 1, 2008
Beat Capra on my second try as a knight. I think he's just much easier as a tanky character since you can go toe to toe with him... and it's not like you have much choice in the matter.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
I read something a few dozen pages back about a second secret door hidden behind a first? Is that in the darkroot garden by the hidden bonfire? It doesn't seem like there's anywhere else to go here but that's the only secret door i've found.

charismaslover
Dec 3, 2006

AzMiLion posted:

Facing from the gate to blighttown, One of the smaller hallways to the left leads almost straight to the sewer bonfire. from there it's a pretty safe route.

Thanks, that was the route I ended up taking.

I assume Blighttown is my next destination?

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

andrew smash posted:

I read something a few dozen pages back about a second secret door hidden behind a first? Is that in the darkroot garden by the hidden bonfire? It doesn't seem like there's anywhere else to go here but that's the only secret door i've found.

I know there's a double secret door in Blighttown, inside the giant tree. You hit the first one, find a chest, then hit the wall behind the chest to open up the Great Hollow

Yeehaw McKickass
Dec 15, 2004
The first run through Undead Parish I never killed the boar; the next time back, he was gone.

Gone forever, then? I wants mes a boar helmet. :(

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
it's my 21st birthday.

time to play dark souls all day. if anyone sees a summon sign for Super Five Five, use it, please. I want to be a golden magic knight man :[

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

Been playing since I got the game yesterday, having fun although getting my rear end kicked more than ever before since I never played Demon's Souls. I got two quick things though:
1. Is it normal to spend 95% of the time in hollow form :downs:
2. Holy gently caress the forest is scary as hell especially when you run into the boss trying to escape from hordes of enemies.

Zmanl0p6
Apr 7, 2007

i am gun drive a trane up u
Entered Sen's Fortress for the first time today, and made it to the first trap bridge when I was revenge-invaded by a player I had killed earlier in the forest for the forest covenent. Needless to say, fighting another player on that death bridge is awesome. I even managed to knock him off it, but he didn't die and actually came back with full health, then killed me with his fire sword. :(

Which brings me to some advice I need. I'm currently deciding whether or not to keep upgrading my falchion to +10, because I heard it could be ascended into a pretty kickass weapon from there, or turning into a divine weapon at the blacksmith and using that to try to explore New Londo. Either way I need to start working on a new weapon, because my Dark Knights Sword +1 is too slow and weak to be much use anymore (both in Sen's Fortress and in PvP). Any advice on what I should do weapon wise? I want cool weapons too.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Guliani is HOT posted:

So are any high-level melee characters using anything other than Drake's Sword so far? I'm thinking Astora's Straight Sword might be a good replacement after a lot of upgrading. Then again I'm not good at stats and equipment and all that.
It depends on your definition of 'high level', but at 41 I am rocking a Fire Iaido +5, and it wrecks the poo poo out of the Drake Blade. Get some green titanite and upgrade a fire weapon at the smith in the catacombs.

Heavy neutrino posted:

I'm having a hard time with Sen's Fortress. The weird rear end cobra enemies in there take practically no damage from my Black Knight's Sword, and like everything else in the game they kill me in three hits. Am I doing something wrong?
Get some green titanite and make a fire weapon! I just did this area yesterday, and was killing them in three hits.

Seriously, people should take their souls and make a drat fire weapon with their base weapon of choice. They are extremely useful.

UberJumper posted:

Fire weapon!

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Godamn, I still can't find the bonfine in Sen's Fortress. It's supposed to be forward of the main chamber where you can rotate the boulders..but I can't find anywhere to drop down.
You drop down from a spot on the roof. Go up and to the left of where you come out. There will be a spot where one of the golems can chuck poo poo at you. There will be a broken part of the wall you can drop down to in order to get to the bonfire. If you are lucky somebody will have left a note there.

Numbers posted:

Is there a second bonfire in the catacombs? It seems a little ridiculous to expect you to get from the first one to the boss. Extremely tedious unless you run all the way, in which case, you have a high chance of dying before you get there. Anyone know?
You can see the bonfire near the first bridge mechanism, through the rocks. You need to go on a little further to get to it though. Lower down there will be a ladder which goes up to near that area. At the base of the ladder, there is a wall you can go through.

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.

Tarradax posted:

Either I'm blind or there's nothing here... What exactly am I looking for?

If you rang both bells there should be something obvious there.

Edit - Actually, looking back at your first post, I don't think you have rung the second bell yet. You need to ring the bell in Blighttown too.

evilalien fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Oct 8, 2011

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop

Filthy Monkey posted:

It depends on your definition of 'high level', but at 41 I am rocking a Fire Iaido +5, and it wrecks the poo poo out of the Drake Blade. Get some green titanite and upgrade a fire weapon at the smith in the catacombs.

Get some green titanite and make a fire weapon! I just did this area yesterday, and was killing them in three hits.

Seriously, people should take their souls and make a drat fire weapon with their base weapon of choice. They are extremely useful.

Fire weapon!

You drop down from a spot on the roof. Go up and to the left of where you come out. There will be a spot where one of the golems can chuck poo poo at you. There will be a broken part of the wall you can drop down to in order to get to the bonfire. If you are lucky somebody will have left a note there.

You can see the bonfire near the first bridge mechanism, through the rocks. You need to go on a little further to get to it though. Lower down there will be a ladder which goes up to near that area. At the base of the ladder, there is a wall you can go through.

Where do I get green titanite?

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

UberJumper posted:

Where do I get green titanite?

You can buy it in Sen's from the hidden merchant for 4k souls each, or you can farm the slimes in the Depths or the leeches in the Blighttown swamp.

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

AzMiLion posted:

Sewer shortcut vendor has them for 6K a pop.

I may be smoking something, but I think the bell tower merchant has them for 3k. I know I didn't have to grind -all- that much to get my curse removed. Like one or two white phantomings only, and that's fun besides.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Crowbear posted:

I know there's a double secret door in Blighttown, inside the giant tree. You hit the first one, find a chest, then hit the wall behind the chest to open up the Great Hollow

Okay, cool. Thanks. Since i'm in the area anybody know a good place to grind for the 20k needed to open the door in the forest? I'm currently killing those stone giants in darkroot garden for 300 a pop but it is sloooooow.

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

andrew smash posted:

Okay, cool. Thanks. Since i'm in the area anybody know a good place to grind for the 20k needed to open the door in the forest? I'm currently killing those stone giants in darkroot garden for 300 a pop but it is sloooooow.

If you can make it through the Depths, you get 12.5K souls for successfully white phantoming the boss which isn't very difficult. If you really want to open it up early, I'm not sure there is much better than the enemies in the forest.

Tgent
Sep 6, 2011
Can I screw myself over by giving embers to the wrong blacksmith? I've been giving them to the guy in undead parish...

Also, as a heavy knight character who's been putting points into strength, vitality and endurance, should I have a projectile weapon? If so, what, and what stats should I improve to use it. I'm concerned I might be stuck on some later bosses if they don't come within melee range.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
Maybe i'll just do that. I went to the forest to pick up the wolf ring and grinded up about 8k afterward, but that will get me a solid couple of levels and i can always just try to run the boss a couple of times in depths i guess.

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Tgent posted:

Can I screw myself over by giving embers to the wrong blacksmith? I've been giving them to the guy in undead parish...

Also, as a heavy knight character who's been putting points into strength, vitality and endurance, should I have a projectile weapon? If so, what, and what stats should I improve to use it. I'm concerned I might be stuck on some later bosses if they don't come within melee range.

I'm pretty sure each ember is only able to be given to one blacksmith. The other blacksmiths will notice the ember in your inventory and direct you to the correct one.

Every single boss can be killed with melee so don't feel like you need a ranged attack. If you really want one, then maybe an elemental short bow would work if you can wield it without raising your dex.

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

What happens in 3rd Street stays in 3rd Street.

Sorry that these sort of things keep getting asked, but i'm at a loss what to do here - I've cleared undead burg aside for the drake and also killed the Capra Demon, and cleared everything in the depths aside for Gaping Dragon. When I tried it I got my poo poo wrecked but that might have been as I was cursed. However, at the second I can go to that guy, the Moonlight Butterfly or Hydra, or just run through some other areas like Valley of Drakes etc. I can't find out how to get to Blighttown unless that's past the depths boss, or i've missed something huge. Could someone just point me in the right direction please? I feel a little overwhelmed at the second.

edit - I could also go through the graveyard at the start even though I barely hurt the skeletons and have no idea where that leads.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

I got to Firelink Shrine as a thief and master key'd my way to the valley of drakes and stole a sword/shield from a giant poison-spewing dragon gently caress I love this game so much

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Is no one else raging about the fact that you can't hit select to recommend a message anymore? All I see are constantly vanishing 0 rating messages. Unlike demon souls, there aren't very many good 'warning' messages before mean-spirited deathtraps because it's such a pain in the loving rear end to recommend a message. WHY?!

Maybe it will be patched. We can hope, I guess. Did one of Demon's Souls annoyances ever get patched out? I came into that game a year late (but there were still lots and lots of recommended messages!)

It just seems SO retarded. In such a flawless game that smoothed out the rough edges of the first, it really rankles.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
Was watching a Japanese player stream (well, he lives in Japan anyway) and now I think I might have to try a faith build.

http://www.justin.tv/nechronic/b/296966052

Inivisible, unlockable? No problem! Just walk around with my AoE slow on and then one shot you with another AoE when I find you.

I think it's faith at least, magic shield is sorcery but tranquil walk of peace is faith. Anyone know what spell he was killed with?

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Thievery posted:

Sorry that these sort of things keep getting asked, but i'm at a loss what to do here - I've cleared undead burg aside for the drake and also killed the Capra Demon, and cleared everything in the depths aside for Gaping Dragon. When I tried it I got my poo poo wrecked but that might have been as I was cursed. However, at the second I can go to that guy, the Moonlight Butterfly or Hydra, or just run through some other areas like Valley of Drakes etc. I can't find out how to get to Blighttown unless that's past the depths boss, or i've missed something huge. Could someone just point me in the right direction please? I feel a little overwhelmed at the second.

If you have the master key, you can get to Blighttown by going from Firelink -> New Londo -> Valley of the Drakes -> Blighttown back entrance. If you don't then you need to kill the boss of the Depths for the key to open the front entrance to Blighttown. You can do the Moonlight Butterfly now, but the other areas are probably too hard at the moment. The boss of the Depths should be doable if you get yourself uncursed too.

Bhodi posted:

Is no one else raging about the fact that you can't hit select to recommend a message anymore? All I see are constantly vanishing 0 rating messages. Unlike demon souls, there aren't very many good 'warning' messages before mean-spirited deathtraps because it's such a pain in the loving rear end to recommend a message. WHY?!

Maybe it will be patched. We can hope, I guess. Did one of Demon's Souls annoyances ever get patched out? I came into that game a year late (but there were still lots and lots of recommended messages!)

Yeah, I mentioned how dumb this was earlier. I hate having to keep my orange soapstone equipped and having to cycle through my inventory every time I want to rate a message.

charismaslover
Dec 3, 2006

Thievery posted:

edit - I could also go through the graveyard at the start even though I barely hurt the skeletons and have no idea where that leads.

My strategy for Gaping Dragon when I was cursed was: get some distance and wait for it to lower it's head to the ground, then it will start to charge at you. Run to the side and wait for it to stop, run up and attack it a couple of time and then run away to another part of the map to get some distance. Repeat.

It may not be the most exciting way but he didn't even touch me once. I also had to take off my armour so I could run fast enough.

MMania
May 7, 2008

Crowbear posted:

Holy poo poo, I made it through there to Ash Lake and it was the most beautiful thing I've ever seen in a video game. Felt like Miyazaki designed that place. You should really get the ability to teleport before going in there though, I can't imagine climbing all the way back out.

Only four more strength to go before I can use Havel's shield and the four weapons I have that require 50 str to wield one-handed, hopefully that'll actually allow me to make some actual progress again.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
drat it people, if you want my help for Capra demon, at least wave when you summon me.

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

What happens in 3rd Street stays in 3rd Street.

Cool thanks for the tips guys. I have got the Master key (thief) so i'll give that a shot and come back for the boss once i've got a weapon with reach. Literally still bandit dagger +5.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Hey :siren: Jetpack Postman :siren: put pretty much everything in this post in the OP because it's loving good newbie info:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3439963&userid=70436#post396243130

Without any sort of english wiki, that sort of info is something that shouldn't get buried in such a fast moving thread, and well you don't accept PMs so here's the vain hope that you actually read or at least skim your own 500-post-a-day thread.

Edit: It answers that question VVVV and half the drat question posts, too.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Oct 8, 2011

Peppi
May 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Where can I find the first blacksmith?

I tried going further after killing the boar and got raped by dudes in red cloaks and something bigger. Then found my way to Capra, but my spear is doing 5 damage.

edit: Thanks!

Peppi fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Oct 8, 2011

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Nechronic posted:

Was watching a Japanese player stream (well, he lives in Japan anyway) and now I think I might have to try a faith build.

http://www.justin.tv/nechronic/b/296966052

Inivisible, unlockable? No problem! Just walk around with my AoE slow on and then one shot you with another AoE when I find you.

I think it's faith at least, magic shield is sorcery but tranquil walk of peace is faith. Anyone know what spell he was killed with?

Looked like he was killed with God's Wrath.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

charismaslover
Dec 3, 2006

Thievery posted:

Literally still bandit dagger +5.

I was Longsword +3, it took ages :negative:

• Locked thread