Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

Any hints on the gargoyle fight? I'll do fine till about half way then his buddy turns up and suddenly its impossible to land a single hit with all the loving Fire and spears and poo poo everywhere. I cut off their tail which helpsish, but not really enough.

Get a weapon up to +2 or +3 and apply a temp. buff to it, if you've found any. Lightning-buffed +3 battleaxe had the first one down while the second one was still incoming. Also close in on it and constantly strafe counter-clockwise. Most attacks will miss you, those that don't can be blocked, and it'll be open for two or three hits after each attempt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Just beat Taurus with no damage.. holy poo poo that lightning buff makes all the difference

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Vintersorg posted:

Where do you go after Ceaseless Discharge? The area around him is way too hard and I don't know a quick of way of going back up without venturing through Blighttown.

Gonna have to go back through Blighttown buddy :haw:

It's not that bad. If you take the giant wheel/lift thing near the bonfire you'll be a few ladders away from the Valley of Drakes exit which will get you back to firelink in a couple of minutes.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Fuuuu, well, to the valley of drakes it is! Time to use these collected souls and upgrade my weapons.

Valkrye
Aug 11, 2008
Why the gently caress are some black phantoms that invade unable to be targeted?

Just had one destroy me because I couldn't target them at all, he just ran around me and back stabbed me twice.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all
I have to ask has anyone tried to kill the first boss with the broken sword? I was so close, and it was quite depressing when I died because of dumb stuff that I did.

Is the weapon really worth it?

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Vintersorg posted:

Fuuuu, well, to the valley of drakes it is! Time to use these collected souls and upgrade my weapons.

If you just want to get out you don't even have to fight anything in the valley of drakes. Just cross the bridge, take the stairs to the new londo ruins, then take the lift back up to firelink. Should be no combat at all once you get past the 3 fat dudes in the last tunnel of blighttown.

Valkrye posted:

Why the gently caress are some black phantoms that invade unable to be targeted?

Just had one destroy me because I couldn't target them at all, he just ran around me and back stabbed me twice.

There's a ring that makes you partially invisible and unable to be targetted. It's pretty broken for PVP.

Zain posted:

I have to ask has anyone tried to kill the first boss with the broken sword? I was so close, and it was quite depressing when I died because of dumb stuff that I did.

Not on a first playthrough, it takes a gazillion strength to use properly.

Talran
Sep 11, 2005

Be gone with you! You'll spoil my focus.
So, I turned today into Humanity farming day. I've got 20 liquid and 30 solid after about an hour of Lamiae hunting. I know some bonfires that are getting upgrades for no reason! :3

Valkrye
Aug 11, 2008

Zain posted:

It isn't, I had it drop from the next boss and it requires an absurd amount of strength to use. There are other similar weapons that can be found in the game if you are going for a crazy high strength build.

Double Monocle
Sep 4, 2008

Smug as fuck.
So ive been told the samuria merchant dude that appears when you join the forest hunters has some nice drops. Can anyone confirm this?

Double Monocle fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Oct 8, 2011

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
Lovely stuff. Had my first invasion today. Was in Anor Londo and has put myself to human form to kindle my bonfire. I waited for the phantom when he invaded, and the idiot ran past me.

So I waited a while and it was obvious he wasn't coming. So I had to inch my way through the level, until the snide prick backstabbed me. So I got myself ready and my shield up and he takes the last sliver of my health off with lightening damage through my shield. I didn't even get a chance to fight him. Boooring.

I summoned two phantoms for the Ornstein and Smough fight and the three of us made short work of 'em. Great stuff.

I also took the risk of upgrading my Battle Axe + 10 to a Lightening Battle Axe (which doesn't scale with strength, but adds 190 Lightening damage). Luckily it seems to be just as effecting as my Battle Axe + 10.

Anyone know what it needed to upgrade a Lightening weapon?

I've also invaded the world of the dickhead who killed the Firekeeper. I've not been able to get much damage done to him though, as he has his two cronies backing him up.

waspinator
Oct 18, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I have decided i'm tired of the drat drake sword and want to use something else. I've gotten my Claymore to +8 and can 1 hand it. This poo poo looks bad rear end. I'm also mixing and matching eastern/elite knight armor and I feel like a monster. I don't want to use that gold hemmed ring wraith poo poo, i'm a knight not a ninny.

This is game of the decade.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!
Awwwww man I got really excited about the Crimson Robe set I picked up in Blighttown, since at base level it has better defenses than my black leather set and it kept me 0.5 under my 25% equip burden.

Then I found out the whole loving set needs Twinkling Titanite to upgrade, which I only have 2 of, so my upgraded Black Leather set is actually better :suicide:

Is there a place to farm Twinkling Titanite at some point after ringing the second bell?

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

So summoning people to help you kinda loving kicks rear end. Duly noted.

Seizureman
Dec 27, 2009

FABULOUS
Have I got a shot in hell at the black knight in the Undead Burg if I just came straight from the Asylum?

Double Monocle
Sep 4, 2008

Smug as fuck.
Just reporting in that the ring of fog is game breakingly good for pvp.

You become invisible. Even if they see you (you have a ghostly outline) they can never lock on target you.

This really needs to be removed from this game.

While its still here, I will continue to wear the gold rimmed ringwraith armor and pretend im a ghost.

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough
Is it worth dealing with curse frogs to get the ring of the evil eye?

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Seizureman posted:

Have I got a shot in hell at the black knight in the Undead Burg if I just came straight from the Asylum?

Nope

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Seizureman posted:

It'll take some time, but yeah. All his attacks are dodgeable once you get used to them, so you just need to figure out how to constantly get behind him to backstab him to death. I beat both the Black Knights in the burg the first time I went through.

Neither of them dropped anything good, the assholes :mad:

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Crowbear posted:

Awwwww man I got really excited about the Crimson Robe set I picked up in Blighttown, since at base level it has better defenses than my black leather set and it kept me 0.5 under my 25% equip burden.

Then I found out the whole loving set needs Twinkling Titanite to upgrade, which I only have 2 of, so my upgraded Black Leather set is actually better :suicide:

Is there a place to farm Twinkling Titanite at some point after ringing the second bell?

Guide says Man Eater Shells are the only things that drop them. Fairly rare at B rating. They're at the Ash Lake, which is at the bottom of The Great Hollow, which is at the bottom of Blight Town. Pain in the rear end to get to AND a pain in the rear end to fight.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Nechronic posted:

Guide says Man Eater Shells are the only things that drop them. Fairly rare at B rating. They're at the Ash Lake, which is at the bottom of The Great Hollow, which is at the bottom of Blight Town. Pain in the rear end to get to AND a pain in the rear end to fight.

Yeah I just checked and I guess that's my only option. I guess I'll do that once I clear the next 2 areas and get the ability to warp between bonfires so I don't have to trek all the way down there.

Tokubetsu posted:

Is it worth dealing with curse frogs to get the ring of the evil eye?

They aren't that bad if you can get them alone or in small groups. And the ring is really nice to have while going through a new area.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001

Seizureman posted:

Hell yes. I got him on my first attempt straight from the asylum. Several backstabs and some firebombs were used, but it's easily doable.

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

What happens in 3rd Street stays in 3rd Street.

Can I get some bonfire help in Blighttown? I've got the one on the bridge, which is pretty far away from anything useful it seems. I can get through the town no problem and last time I went through I got all the way to the wheel/lift thing that takes you back up. The only problem is i've no idea where else i'm meant to go and the bonfire is pretty far away. Also what's with the octopus/tentacle things, can I kill them or if I get close will they gently caress me up? I have no ranged.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001

Crowbear posted:

the ability to warp between bonfires so I don't have to trek all the way down there.

How does someone obtain such an ability?

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Seizureman posted:

Get a 100% physical defense shield and it becomes trivial. Bastard dropped his shield for me this run!

Toiwat
Sep 6, 2011

gently caress you Bell Gargoyle(s) for making me relive terrible nightmares. Right when I was saying "hey, this isn't so bad", I notice the double health bar , and for a brief second my mind read different names on the screen :suicide:

Anyway, any hint on where to go after ringing the bell?

J
Jun 10, 2001

Thievery posted:

Can I get some bonfire help in Blighttown? I've got the one on the bridge, which is pretty far away from anything useful it seems. I can get through the town no problem and last time I went through I got all the way to the wheel/lift thing that takes you back up. The only problem is i've no idea where else i'm meant to go and the bonfire is pretty far away. Also what's with the octopus/tentacle things, can I kill them or if I get close will they gently caress me up? I have no ranged.

You actually probably walked right past the bonfire on the way to the wheel. When you first descend into the swamp and take all the ladders down, if you just hug the right wall you'll eventually see a sewer-like opening with a bonfire just inside. Alternatively, if you're at the wheel, go out into the swamp and hug the left wall to find the same bonfire.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Leyburn posted:

How does someone obtain such an ability?

I hear you get the ability when you put the Lordvessel back at Firelink shrine, after you finish Anor Londo

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Filthy Monkey posted:

I definitely agree with getting that hollow soldier shield to +5. The decreased stamina hit from blocking helps considerably. I am sure there are better shields, but the hollow soldier shield seemed to be a pretty good all rounder compared to a lot of the other shields I've found up to this point.

I have a knight shield at +2 but just found the hollow shield. Is it worth leaving the knight shield and putting shards into the hollow?

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001

Crowbear posted:

I hear you get the ability when you put the Lordvessel back at Firelink shrine, after you finish Anor Londo

That's excellent, since the next thing I plan to do is invade and kill that prick.

punch drunk
Nov 12, 2006

Does the attack power of the original weapon matter when making an ascended weapon like the Moonlight Butterfly Spear or can I just use one of the starter ones from Undead Burg?

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.

Jaros posted:

Does the attack power of the original weapon matter when making an ascended weapon like the Moonlight Butterfly Spear or can I just use one of the starter ones from Undead Burg?

No, use whatever crap weapon you want.

charismaslover
Dec 3, 2006

Too stylish for this world...
I hate Blighttown.

Macksy
Oct 20, 2008
Does it matter if I killed the knight in the asylum after he gave me the key and flask?

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Mega Comrade posted:

I have a knight shield at +2 but just found the hollow shield. Is it worth leaving the knight shield and putting shards into the hollow?
I probably prefer the hollow shield, and am still using it myself (In Anor Lando, getting killed by spear-chucking snipers at the moment). It has a pretty good weight to effectiveness ratio as a generic shield.

That said, the shards you use to get up to +5 are basically throwaway anyway. You can buy as many as you like from the blacksmith near the church. So it isn't really worth thinking too hard about.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

charismaslover posted:

I hate Blighttown.

If it weren't for the awful frame rate issues, it'd be my favourite level thus far.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
Catacombs:

I fought my way all the way to what I believe is the bottom. There's a titanite demon down here, and I know I can join the gravelord covenant if I go in the coffin in the room. I was looking for the Darkmoon Seance ring though. Have I missed it?

I know there's a way to go behind a broken wall that is full of tiny ledges and skeleton archers. Don't have much to deal with them right now.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
Pyromancer is a hundred times more fun to play once you rescue the trainer and get some proper spells and an upgraded catalyst. :hellyeah:

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.

Macksy posted:

Does it matter if I killed the knight in the asylum after he gave me the key and flask?

Not really. He comes back as a hollow if you return to the area later and drops a nice shield. That's about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Double Monocle
Sep 4, 2008

Smug as fuck.

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Catacombs:

I fought my way all the way to what I believe is the bottom. There's a titanite demon down here, and I know I can join the gravelord covenant if I go in the coffin in the room. I was looking for the Darkmoon Seance ring though. Have I missed it?

I know there's a way to go behind a broken wall that is full of tiny ledges and skeleton archers. Don't have much to deal with them right now.

Thats where the ring is. Good luck!

• Locked thread