Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
So I just got the Stone Giant's Sword (the one that can cast slow on 2 handed heavy attack). It's 148/100/0/0/100 with C/C/E stat scaling compared to the Black Knight Sword which is 205/0/0/100 with C/E stat scaling.

For some reason it's hitting for 30 less damage than the black knight sword. Shouldn't it be hitting for significantly more considering it has a higher base damage when factoring in the additional 100 magic damage and it has better stat scaling? Also on the stat screen it says the black knight sword gets +98 damage from my stats while this sword only gets +90 from my stats, even though it has better stat scaling.

I'm sort of confused on how damage is calculated right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lagos
Mar 17, 2004

Hates Loud Noise

Aurra posted:

I've beaten the Bell Gargoyles and Moonlight Butterfly, where should I go next? I'm around level 20 using a +2 Uchigatana and the armor I started with.

Maybe you've already been there, as I forget where the Uchigatana is, but if you haven't yet the next steps would probably be taking out the Capra Demon in lower Undead Burg. You can get there via a doorway at the start of the bridge with the Wyvern near the Solaire NPC followed by The Depths, after the Capra Demon. If you don't get cursed, the Depths are actually a pretty relaxing break before the nightmares that come next, so enjoy it.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Agnostic watermelon posted:

Any tips for the Capra Demon? I could kill him if his first attack I could dodge his first attack and take out the dogs.
I just can't believe how many people have been having trouble with that fight. Even with one other person to draw the dogs away it's a cinch, I think.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Agnostic watermelon posted:

Any tips for the Capra Demon? I could kill him if his first attack I could dodge his first attack and take out the dogs.

Light armor? Try speeding to the stairs at the other side of the room, kill the dogs and then lob firebombs at it. If medium/heavy with enough end to guard his strongest attack then run to the stairs, kill dogs and then plink at his health till he's dead.

Agnostic watermelon
Jul 1, 2009

I'm a lil' Brony!

Samurai Sanders posted:

I just can't believe how many people have been having trouble with that fight. Even with one other person to draw the dogs away it's a cinch, I think.

Yeah every time I fought him as a phantom I can easily beat him, but when I'm alone he does his jumping attack as soon as I walk through the fog taking out all my endurance and HP.

Brian Fellows
May 29, 2003
I'm Brian Fellows
I loving hate the Capra demon. I got buy it once and murdered the dogs; he would've been easy but I foolishly tried to heal when I had a sliver of life (he didn't have much left either) and he murdered me. If I could dodge that first loving attack it'd be fine but I can't. I always end up running into him or one of the dogs and can't escape.

Do people help enough on that battle that it'd be worth using a humanity item to come back and get a helper? I don't want to waste one if no one would be there to help, since there's a 95% chance I'm screwed before I get a chance to do anything. I'm level 20 if that makes it any more likely that a helper would be there.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Guliani is HOT posted:

Hmm that's interesting, I just killed the Wolf with Havel's Set after trying and failing a lot with my normal armor. Definitely viable although running around must be a pain in the rear end. Are you playing over 50% encumbrance? Also, where's the stone set?
I'm running under 50% equip load so I can sprint/roll at medium speeds.

That set is in the Darkroot Forest

Brian Fellows
May 29, 2003
I'm Brian Fellows
PS Frank Capra and his movies were all about feeling good. He would not approve of the way his namesake is being used here :objection:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I think I have to stop playing this game for a while before I break it. I pretty consistently use up all ten of my estus flask charges getting through the enemies in the boar room of the undead parish. Not the boar himself; just all the assnuggets surrounding him.

Gonna break my disc in a minute :(

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!

Brian Fellows posted:

PS Frank Capra and his movies were all about feeling good. He would not approve of the way his namesake is being used here :objection:

Capra means 'goat' or 'ram'.

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

If you go through the woods to the sealed door and turn right, you will ambushed. In that area is a fog door. Go through it. You'll see an item ball on the ground, it has the full set in it. Use a homeward bone to escape to safety, or run. Or die. Whichever.

Oh wow Jesus you weren't kidding. I died on the first attempt to get it due to those stupid plant dudes and their grab attack (is that even blockable!?) and then I tried to be sneaky the second time and took the long way around, killed two plant dudes and this enormous sleeping stone knight who cast magic to slow me down or something! and crept over towards the item, only to get ambushed by two more plants (who I was expecting) and ANOTHER giant stone dude. I run past, grab the armor and my bloodstain, run away, hit a dead end with yet another giant stone dude, and try to run wearing heavier armor away from the quick enemies, end up getting grabbed and barely escaping...only to get sucker stabbed from three yards away!

I got the armor, but I'm scared to go get my 2000+ souls back. The real Dark Souls starts here.

Dickweasel Alpha
Feb 8, 2011

Mod Secrets #614 - Experto Crede is the one who bought most of those frog avatars

Ledneh posted:

I think I have to stop playing this game for a while before I break it. I pretty consistently use up all ten of my estus flask charges getting through the enemies in the boar room of the undead parish. Not the boar himself; just all the assnuggets surrounding him.

If you're having trouble there, then you need to upgrade your poo poo. Or strategize more. This is not a game of kill-six-dudes-at-once, this is a game of kiting.

What I did was ignore the boar, kill everyone else including the dudes on the bridge, leaving just me and the boar. Then I hopped down in my lightest armor, rolled as much as I could to avoid this attacks, and backstabbed him with a Winged Spear +3. If you keep going and going, eventually you'll take him down.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Hello ladies :mmmhmm: (armor spoiler?) http://i.imgur.com/wiGHH.jpg

punch drunk
Nov 12, 2006

God drat finally after wasting 10 humanity I was able to off Smough first and not get wrecked by Ornstein when he powered up. Thanks for bein a bro Knight Solaire.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I'm just starting to use a slashing weapon, and how does the bleeding mechanic work in regards to enemies anyway? Do they suddenly lose a whole shitload of hit points when some hidden gauge fills, or is it something else? And what enemies CAN bleed?

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho

Ledneh posted:

there's a pretty easy, if slow way to get through this section. It helps to have the Drake Sword since that'll let you one-shot trash Hollows. Basically, from the first archway, dash out, then dash back--you'll lure two Hollow Shield guys out to you without triggering the boar. Kill them, then go right. Staircase is there, follow it up to find another Hollow Shield and the bridge with the two archers. Keep your guard up at all times, or camp on the stairs--this shield guy will basically refuse to attack you while the archers are alive. Another shield guy will approach from the bottom of the stairs! Be prepared for this and take him out, he's much more aggressive. Once you deal with him, you can either kick-break the other Hollow's guard or run past him and take down the archers--he'll likely not attack you while you slaughter his friends. Once they are dead, you can finish him at your leisure.

The boar's weakness is a plunging attack, but you'll want to try and lure him into range with an attract skull. Or just do what I did, and firebomb him five times and shoot a bunch of arrows into his butt. Not too hard, but you have to move slow. He doesn't respawn, so good luck!

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Megasabin posted:

So I just got the Stone Giant's Sword (the one that can cast slow on 2 handed heavy attack). It's 148/100/0/0/100 with C/C/E stat scaling compared to the Black Knight Sword which is 205/0/0/100 with C/E stat scaling.

For some reason it's hitting for 30 less damage than the black knight sword. Shouldn't it be hitting for significantly more considering it has a higher base damage when factoring in the additional 100 magic damage and it has better stat scaling? Also on the stat screen it says the black knight sword gets +98 damage from my stats while this sword only gets +90 from my stats, even though it has better stat scaling.

I'm sort of confused on how damage is calculated right now.

Well it has to do with how different damage types interact with the corresponding defense stats. Essentially, a weapon that has two damage types (like your Stone Giant Sword, physical and magic) is checked against the target's physical and magic defenses to determine the damage. Thus the damage is actually reduced twice. A weapon (like the Black Knight Sword) only has to make one defense check (physical in this case) to determine damage, so its only reduced once. The idea is that you want to get the most damage possible into one damage type to avoid it being reduced.

The scaling works is definitely a little more wonky than in DeS. The letter is truly not an accurate representation of the scaling from what I've seen. It seems to change from weapon to weapon, and it also boosted depending on how much its upgraded. Another thing to note, esspesilly in your example, is that the amount of stat modifiers seems to decrease the overall scaling. Like your Stone Giants Sword is splitting its scaling between 3 stats, and the Black Knight Sword only 2. I once had a +10 katana that was -/B/-/- and a +10 rapier that was E/B/-/-. You'd expect the rapier to have slightly better scaling, but it was actually slightly worse. I can't say that I fully understand the scaling either, but that's just what I've gleamed so far.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Dickweasel Alpha posted:

If you're having trouble there, then you need to upgrade your poo poo. Or strategize more. This is not a game of kill-six-dudes-at-once, this is a game of kiting.

What I did was ignore the boar, kill everyone else including the dudes on the bridge, leaving just me and the boar. Then I hopped down in my lightest armor, rolled as much as I could to avoid this attacks, and backstabbed him with a Winged Spear +3. If you keep going and going, eventually you'll take him down.

You misunderstand--I killed the boar (through dumb luck) already. It's getting back through there that is ruining me. And I can't upgrade my poo poo, how am I supposed to do that? I haven't seen a blacksmith!

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

RentCavalier posted:

there's a pretty easy, if slow way to get through this section. It helps to have the Drake Sword since that'll let you one-shot trash Hollows. Basically, from the first archway, dash out, then dash back--you'll lure two Hollow Shield guys out to you without triggering the boar. Kill them, then go right. Staircase is there, follow it up to find another Hollow Shield and the bridge with the two archers. Keep your guard up at all times, or camp on the stairs--this shield guy will basically refuse to attack you while the archers are alive. Another shield guy will approach from the bottom of the stairs! Be prepared for this and take him out, he's much more aggressive. Once you deal with him, you can either kick-break the other Hollow's guard or run past him and take down the archers--he'll likely not attack you while you slaughter his friends. Once they are dead, you can finish him at your leisure.

The boar's weakness is a plunging attack, but you'll want to try and lure him into range with an attract skull. Or just do what I did, and firebomb him five times and shoot a bunch of arrows into his butt. Not too hard, but you have to move slow. He doesn't respawn, so good luck!

All you have to do is back stab his rear end once with the drake sword and he'll die. Boar gotta take a poo poo and armor covering his evac hole wouldn't be that smart.

Agnostic watermelon
Jul 1, 2009

I'm a lil' Brony!
And if you beat the boar, you get a totally rad helmet.

[e] One tip I have for new players is GET THE GODDAMN DRAKE SWORD. It makes combat so much easier when you only have to hit the weak ones once.

Phonics
Apr 6, 2009

by XyloJW
Just lost every soul I earned during my Blighttown adventures that took 3 hours by rolling off a cliff and then getting gangbanged ´by low level enemies because I was trying to rush past them.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Ledneh posted:

You misunderstand--I killed the boar (through dumb luck) already. It's getting back through there that is ruining me. And I can't upgrade my poo poo, how am I supposed to do that? I haven't seen a blacksmith!

Blacksmith is near the actual church just a little more from where you are. Take it nice and slow with a 100% def shield and it shouldnt be an issue. Dont rush or you'll end up full of arrows and stabbed to death.

punch drunk
Nov 12, 2006

Ledneh posted:

If you're dumb like me you didn't realize that theres a shortcut from the bonfire to straight under the dragon bridge, you just have to kick the ladder down. I kept fighting all the way through to the Parish and running out of Estus flasks by the time I'd make it to the caped Knights.

Malachite
Mar 2, 2004
How do you avoid the powered up executioner's charging attack? Almost every time I die, its due to that. Sometimes I can get through with a perfect double roll, but eventually I'll just get crushed.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Jaros posted:

If you're dumb like me you didn't realize that theres a shortcut from the bonfire to straight under the dragon bridge, you just have to kick the ladder down. I kept fighting all the way through to the Parish and running out of Estus flasks by the time I'd make it to the caped Knights.

No, I got that one. I'm literally using all ten flask charges on the shitbirds in that one room.

How am I supposed to not get stabbed when I got two turtling shield+spear users and when one attacks and I circle round the other one stabs me in the rear end in a top hat? :mad:

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

I loving hate this loving poo poo. (Under the dragon bridge.) (Because I get loving poisoned every time and have nothing to fix that)

lament.cfg fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Oct 8, 2011

prussian advisor
Jan 15, 2007

The day you see a camera come into our courtroom, its going to roll over my dead body.

Ledneh posted:

How am I supposed to not get stabbed when I got two turtling shield+spear users and when one attacks and I circle round the other one stabs me in the rear end in a top hat? :mad:

In situations like this, I find it helpful to position yourself so one of the turtling Hollowed soldiers is substantially closer to you than the other, then run around with your shield down and your back turned to bait him into attacking. The spear thrusts have a long, heavily telegraphed windup, so either attack him quickly beforehand if you have a fast weapon or block and counter, and be ready to roll away if the other one rears back to impale you while you're attacking his friend.

Wizard of Wang
Aug 8, 2004
I basically ran past most of the enemies in the parish until I was able to get to the bonfire by the smith. Do I have to go back and fight the people in the church? Im level 13.

Also, any tips for that big fucker that throws lightning at you?

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Wizard of Wang posted:

I basically ran past most of the enemies in the parish until I was able to get to the bonfire by the smith. Do I have to go back and fight the people in the church? Im level 13.

Also, any tips for that big fucker that throws lightning at you?

The next boss you want to fight is on the roof of the church, so yeah, that should be your next destination. Lightning chucker dude might be a little hard for you at the moment unless you want to cheese him with arrows.

Dog Fat Man Chaser
Jan 13, 2009

maybe being miserable
is not unpredictable
maybe that's
the problem
with me

Dog Fat Man Chaser posted:

So I appear to be trapped in the Catacombs.

I rolled off a cliff to land where the breakable wall with the bonfire is, near the second walkway level. If I try to go back, at the T-intersection where left is a dead drop, the right side is closed as well, and going further down into the catacombs gets my rear end kicked. Is there another way out or am I hosed here?

Anyone? If I can't find a way out I'm gonna be stuck with restarting this character, and I'd made some drat good progress :smith:

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead

Brian Fellows posted:

I loving hate the Capra demon. I got buy it once and murdered the dogs; he would've been easy but I foolishly tried to heal when I had a sliver of life (he didn't have much left either) and he murdered me. If I could dodge that first loving attack it'd be fine but I can't. I always end up running into him or one of the dogs and can't escape.

Do people help enough on that battle that it'd be worth using a humanity item to come back and get a helper? I don't want to waste one if no one would be there to help, since there's a 95% chance I'm screwed before I get a chance to do anything. I'm level 20 if that makes it any more likely that a helper would be there.

Summons some phantoms and when you enter just hide in the corner to the right until the phantoms enter. If you can survive until they do you should be able to win as they will distract people, meaning you won't be ganged up on as much right away. Once the dogs are dead its easy.

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

Ledneh posted:

No, I got that one. I'm literally using all ten flask charges on the shitbirds in that one room.

Kick them it breaks their guard. In fact can this go in the op since nobody seems to try kicking (including myself for the first many hours)

Also how do you get hit that much drat.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
To people who couldn't get the dragon to appear from the top of the tower: try removing his tail. As soon as I got the drake sword and went to the top of the tower, he was there.

Also, this drake sword...isn't that good? Granted I just got it at level 28...

Wizard of Wang
Aug 8, 2004

Crowbear posted:

The next boss you want to fight is on the roof of the church, so yeah, that should be your next destination. Lightning chucker dude might be a little hard for you at the moment unless you want to cheese him with arrows.

I think I am going to buy a cheap copy of Demon Souls since this is just a rental from redbox. Wish I had it longer but I figure I should beat the first one before getting into this one too heavily.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Talran posted:

I know some bonfires that are getting upgrades for no reason! :3
After learning the early areas better, there really are very few times that there's a need to upgrade a bonfire at all. For instance in parish if you can handle the Mace knight, it's a simple matter to go down to fire shrine and fill up on estus and then come back up top.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

deadtear posted:

Kick them it breaks their guard. In fact can this go in the op since nobody seems to try kicking (including myself for the first many hours)

Seriously? Jesus loving christ why would kicking break their guard when a giant fuckoff morningstar doesn't?

:mad:

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.
Can anyone direct me to the Firekeepers Soul in Blighttown?

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

Ledneh posted:

Seriously? Jesus loving christ why would kicking break their guard when a giant fuckoff morningstar doesn't?

:mad:

You can 2h your weapons and guard break really easy as well. Before I knew that kicking did a shitload of stam damage I would 2h my weapon and hit them 3 times to kill them, the first 2 to guard break and do some damage through the shield, the third would be unblocked and lethal.

J
Jun 10, 2001

Dog Fat Man Chaser posted:

Anyone? If I can't find a way out I'm gonna be stuck with restarting this character, and I'd made some drat good progress :smith:

I don't know where that is but do you happen to have a homeward bone you can use to warp back to the last bonfire? Or worst case scenario you can use the darksign to warp back even though it costs you all your souls and humanity. Either is better than just starting a brand new character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReWinter
Nov 23, 2008

Perpetually Perturbed

Defiant Sally posted:

Can anyone direct me to the Firekeepers Soul in Blighttown?

You're going to want to either come in from Valley of Drakes or take the water wheel in the bottom area up. That should set you on the right track.

• Locked thread