Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Numbers posted:

Doesn't seem to work. I tried the forward and R2 thing, one and two handing my spear and trying it, switching between multiple weapons, attacking different angles. Nothing even budges it. This sucks ;(

Anyone else had the poison dragon corpse stuck in the painting world?

Hmmm, that worked for me but I guess I'll just say that you don't need to get past the dragon corpse to finish the level. In fact, there is nothing past the corpse other than a fall onto a path that you can access another way. I think you want to go to the main courtyard with the phalanx type enemies. There's a well or something there you can climb down. See if that helps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MSPaintClock
Dec 30, 2006

FF7 rules.
Played this game for an hour or two at my girlfriends house, I have to say that it was very fun I wish I had a console now, I would recommend this game to anyone.

_jink
Jan 14, 2006

Sputnik posted:

How do you kill Black Knights effectively?

Additionally, I have Gold Pine Resin and some Titanite shards. Are these things to hoard for later uberweapons, or to use now to make my life easier? I'm a Dark Souls newbie.

edit: While I'm playing the idiot newbie, is there a way to sell poo poo later on? I'm collecting an assload of garbage equipment.

go ahead and use the resin on tough fights, it adds a good chunk of lightning damage to your attacks.

Titanite Shards upgrade your things, so use them on whatever equipment you like to use. You'll have plenty later.

ya, you can sell things later on. Though weapons & armor sell for 50 & 100 souls, which is already chump change by the time you unlock the grinder

Almost Smart posted:

Yay, I rang the second bell!

...now how the hell do I get out of here? I'm not dealing with the Demon Shrine just yet.

go back out to the swamp. Theres a lift you can ride followed by a mile of ladders

Numbers
Jul 13, 2000

Volitaire posted:

Hmmm, that worked for me but I guess I'll just say that you don't need to get past the dragon corpse to finish the level. In fact, there is nothing past the corpse other than a fall onto a path that you can access another way. I think you want to go to the main courtyard with the phalanx type enemies. There's a well or something there you can climb down. See if that helps.

Ok great. I wasn't sure if I needed to get past that. Well that's a relief. Thanks for the help.

im a girl btw
Jan 15, 2004

I'm SL 18 and have 14.5k souls. I can get just under 4k souls in just under 20 minutes by starting at firelight shrine, going through the burbs and undead parish killing everything I come across. Should I just spend my souls on levelling, or is it worth buying that item off the blacksmith that opens the door in the forest?

Slacker Ace
Oct 30, 2010
So uh, decided to try out Moonlight Butterfly since I read a couple posts here saying it was really easy. Got my rear end kicked 5 times.

SL16 using a pure melee heavy armor build, there's just no way to dodge the magic needle attack and even blocking it with the best magic defense shield I have, (65%, Caduceus Round Shield), it does considerable damage so I run out of Estus Flask +1 charges by the time it's at half health.

Am I too underleveled for it or do I just need a better shield?

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
^ Little of column A, little of column B. Both would help you here. If you have access to the depths you can buy a crystal shield that will help, or you can just dodge better in general. Having better more offensive power means less air phases as well.

im a girl btw posted:

I'm SL 18 and have 14.5k souls. I can get just under 4k souls in just under 20 minutes by starting at firelight shrine, going through the burbs and undead parish killing everything I come across. Should I just spend my souls on levelling, or is it worth buying that item off the blacksmith that opens the door in the forest?

If you are willing to use a little bit of geometry abuse to net like 8k souls in under a minute, then you can save up for the key. I'd only do that if you're going to go straight for the key though, otherwise just go ahead and level and play on.

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Someone needs to stop this! Sherman has lost his mind! Peyton is completely unable to defend himself out there!
Im sitting at SL 37 and seemingly need to go into Blighttown. My first trek in there was a bit of a mess as I was hit with Toxin almost immediately. I cant really afford to buy many of the Flowering Mosses, and farming them is just an exercise in frustration. Where should I be going to rack up a decent number of souls to get ready for this?

Also, is there any item that lets you lock onto 'invisible' NPCs? Thats honestly the worst thing I've seen in this game in terms of complete and total bullshit.

Kenzo
Jun 29, 2004

Tekseta!
Okay I am stumped. I finally beat the dark knight at the top of the tower near that red dragon. However, the stupid dragon disappears when I get to the top of the tower. Is this normal?

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

I am holding a live frag grenade.

Bobnumerotres posted:

gently caress Anor Londo. gently caress.

I got past the second gargoyle and I have to fight these really lovely white demons that are impossible to take on two at a time, so I carefully lure them out and kill them (which takes a while since they're so dodgy).

Then I'm going down to the next spot, and I get shot in the side by an arrow and fall to my death. Upon respawning, much to my frustration, those annoying loving demons respawn like regular enemies (really? gently caress you from software), so I kill them all again since they're really hard to run past, and I'm going down the same narrow bridge.

I look at where the arrow came from with my shield up and see nothing and no one. And then I'm struck with an arrow that was shot out of absolutely nowhere and pushed off the ledge by the force.

I'm just going to sprint through all of this because I just cannot give two shits anymore. gently caress.

I just made it through this area, and can offer a bit of assistance. Shoot the white wyvern thing on the right from the bridge as you approach the front stairs. It'll jump off the edge and die. Similarly, lure the two wyvern things waiting in ambush before the black knight archers by shooting an arrow at the ground in front of them to draw them out of hiding, and shoot them both to get them to attack you before going across the narrow rampart down. One will get stuck on the ramp railing, and the other will either bunch up on him or run off the edge. If he doesn't run off the edge, he'll likely fall off immediately after he attacks you as you approach.

The archers are legitimately dicks, but I found that if you're far enough up the ramp/to one side that only one has line of sight on you, his arrows will all catch the edge of the concrete platform in front of you. From here I killed them each with repeated headshots using feather arrows, a good bow and the low-health hyper-damage ring.

Agnostic watermelon
Jul 1, 2009

I'm a lil' Brony!
Is there any decent early soul farming spots like the reaper in 4-2?

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Schwack posted:

Im sitting at SL 37 and seemingly need to go into Blighttown. My first trek in there was a bit of a mess as I was hit with Toxin almost immediately. I cant really afford to buy many of the Flowering Mosses, and farming them is just an exercise in frustration. Where should I be going to rack up a decent number of souls to get ready for this?

Also, is there any item that lets you lock onto 'invisible' NPCs? Thats honestly the worst thing I've seen in this game in terms of complete and total bullshit.
Depths soul farming is pretty good if you are an expert at dodging curses. Otherwise you can do the soul geometry abuse in the heart of the forest at Darkroot Garden if you unlocked the door. I'm not too sure if there's really any super spots.

To be honest though, SL 37 is pretty good for Blighttown. I did most of Blighttown at like SL 34. Did you get the shield in the Depths that blocks toxin (at least when you are guarding)? That might help you a bit.

Keep in mind the toxin throwers stay permanently dead once you kill them.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

Slacker Ace posted:

So uh, decided to try out Moonlight Butterfly since I read a couple posts here saying it was really easy. Got my rear end kicked 5 times.

SL16 using a pure melee heavy armor build, there's just no way to dodge the magic needle attack and even blocking it with the best magic defense shield I have, (65%, Caduceus Round Shield), it does considerable damage so I run out of Estus Flask +1 charges by the time it's at half health.

Am I too underleveled for it or do I just need a better shield?

You need to dodge all the attacks pretty much. Get nude and keep trying.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Rascyc posted:

^ Little of column A, little of column B. Both would help you here. If you have access to the depths you can buy a crystal shield that will help, or you can just dodge better in general. Having better more offensive power means less air phases as well.

If you are willing to use a little bit of geometry abuse to net like 8k souls in under a minute, then you can save up for the key. I'd only do that if you're going to go straight for the key though, otherwise just go ahead and level and play on.

Is geometry abuse referring to how you're supposed to kill the dudes on the other side of the door? I would like to know the trick because so far those dudes have been straight up raping me in the rear end.

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho

Rikimaru posted:

Okay I am stumped. I finally beat the dark knight at the top of the tower near that red dragon. However, the stupid dragon disappears when I get to the top of the tower. Is this normal?

This happens to me and a few other people too. If I may ask, are you playing on a 360? I wonder if it's a specific glitch to that.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Cityinthesea posted:

I just lost 8000 souls by falling off the bridge that goes from the valley of drakes to blighttown :suicide:

Every time I've lost a significant amount of souls trying to get back to my bloodstain, it's been due to accidentally falling off a ledge/cliff.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Agnostic watermelon posted:

Is there any decent early soul farming spots like the reaper in 4-2?
SOP procedure seems to be to kill one of the two bosses early in the game that gets you 20-25k souls and then buy the key off the Undead Parish blacksmith. Unlock the door to the forest and then begin geometry abusing.

Two early bosses taht give you that many souls are the Depths boss and the Asylum secret boss. Alternatively you can just grind the 20k yourself using your own methods (e.g., killing the gargoyle and then grinding the 10k off the Parish stuff).

The forest soul trick is shown here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cp6IKCG1U8U

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Guliani is HOT posted:

You need to dodge all the attacks pretty much. Get nude and keep trying.

The best way I found to do it was to stay as far away from the boss as possible. Then if I dodged as soon as he released an attack I would be covered for all of them.

If it's the spikes, then you'll just dodge them outright. If it's the giant beam or the slow projectiles, you'll recover from your first dodge with enough time to dodge again when they get close to you.

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Someone needs to stop this! Sherman has lost his mind! Peyton is completely unable to defend himself out there!

Rascyc posted:

Depths soul farming is pretty good if you are an expert at dodging curses. Otherwise you can do the soul geometry abuse in the heart of the forest at Darkroot Garden if you unlocked the door. I'm not too sure if there's really any super spots.

To be honest though, SL 37 is pretty good for Blighttown. I did most of Blighttown at like SL 34. Did you get the shield in the Depths that blocks toxin (at least when you are guarding)? That might help you a bit.

Keep in mind the toxin throwers stay permanently dead once you kill them.

No, I must have missed that in the Depths.

Care to elaborate a bit on the Darkroot Garden thing?

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough
I didn't find any such shield in the depths either. Still rocking the stamina regen shield. Can't see a god drat thing in blight town.

Kenzo
Jun 29, 2004

Tekseta!

RentCavalier posted:

This happens to me and a few other people too. If I may ask, are you playing on a 360? I wonder if it's a specific glitch to that.

No,ps3. Very frustrating.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Schwack posted:

No, I must have missed that in the Depths.

Care to elaborate a bit on the Darkroot Garden thing?
If you go to where the butchery is before dropping into the sewers, there's a small hole you can find behind a barrel by the table covered with meat. Drop down that and just look around for a lootable on the ledges, it should be pretty obvious.

In case you missed my post above (this thread does move fast), the video showing the gambit is here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cp6IKCG1U8U

Kuno
Nov 4, 2008
Been playing this game non stop for the last two days since it came out in England. I've managed to kill Early boss spoilers The gaping Dragon and that magic dude in front of the garden who didn't get a name. I opened the secret area with the money from the dragon and did a bit of grinding.

Now I've progressed a bit into the garden itself and found item spoilers The Elite Knight Set and the Partizan. Now I can't decide whether to use that or the winged spear I've been using for the rest of the game and have upgraded to +4. Since I only have one spear that is already upgraded I can't check the base stats to see which is better. So, should I abandon the winged spear and farm to upgrade the partizan or stick with the winged spear? The sweep attacks probably would be nice in certain situations.

Also in the Lower UndeadBurg there is a dude locked behind a door, talking to the guy at firelink I'm guessing he is the magic teacher. Where is the key to get him out?

Also in The Depths Are the crystal weapons and armour worth the asking price. They are pretty expensive but, fairly obtainable with the suicide cliff farming method. I have been using the crest shield from the return to the asylum, the winged spear, the pyro hand and the shortbow (which is getting a bit long in the tooth, I'm wary of upgrading it because it seems like I should be finding a compound or longbow around the next corner.

Wow, that's a lot of spoilers and a lot of questions! So far the game is pretty incredible.

thiscommercialsucks
Jun 13, 2009

by T. Mascis
I'm sorry, I'm retarded, maybe this has been answered, but I accidentally attacked the vendor NPC at Firelink Shrine, the fat guy. What do?

Agnostic watermelon
Jul 1, 2009

I'm a lil' Brony!

Rascyc posted:

If you go to where the butchery is before dropping into the sewers, there's a small hole you can find behind a barrel by the table covered with meat. Drop down that and just look around for a lootable on the ledges, it should be pretty obvious.

In case you missed my post above (this thread does move fast), the video showing the gambit is here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cp6IKCG1U8U

You can't just unlock the door with the master key can you?

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Nah, you need the 20,000 soul key from the blacksmith.

Regarding crystal equipment from the depths, keep in mind they are not repairable.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Kuno posted:

Also in the Lower UndeadBurg there is a dude locked behind a door, talking to the guy at firelink I'm guessing he is the magic teacher. Where is the key to get him out?

The merchant in Undead Burg sells it iirc

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

thiscommercialsucks posted:

I'm sorry, I'm retarded, maybe this has been answered, but I accidentally attacked the vendor NPC at Firelink Shrine, the fat guy. What do?
I'm not 100% sure about this but I believe you have to goto the belltower and pay the priest there to absolve your sin. It should cost you 2k soul * level, so get ready for some rape if you're a bit high level.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Rascyc posted:

I'm not 100% sure about this but I believe you have to goto the belltower and pay the priest there to absolve your sin. It should cost you 2k soul * level, so get ready for some rape if you're a bit high level.

I can confirm that this works. It cost me 40,000 souls but it was worth it to not get violated anally every time I wanted to go to Firelink.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
Asked this already but looks like it already got passed up.

Does the guide list everything that drops each type of titanite?

Seik
Apr 15, 2006

Yes, I am indeed purple.
Pillbug
Anor Londo is seriously unfun. The area is beautiful but it takes forever to get anywhere. The area with the archer on that thin ledge is loving horseshit, back up too far and get a truck sized arrow through your back. Plus it's lovely to be forced to play it. What happened to open world? I want to go back to Firelink Shrine, drat it.

Kuno
Nov 4, 2008

Crowbear posted:

The merchant in Undead Burg sells it iirc

Ah, I never bothered getting that because the master key worked on all the other undeadburg doors. Thanks.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

This might be a bit of a vague question, but is it possible to backtrack to Firelink from the Depths? I haven't tried, but I want to figure out if it's possible before i attempt it.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Seik posted:

Anor Londo is seriously unfun. The area is beautiful but it takes forever to get anywhere. The area with the archer on that thin ledge is loving horseshit, back up too far and get a truck sized arrow through your back. Plus it's lovely to be forced to play it. What happened to open world? I want to go back to Firelink Shrine, drat it.

If you go back to where you started out in Anor Londo and talk to the gargoyle that brought you there, you'll get taken back to Sen's Fortress.

lizardking
Feb 5, 2010

Hail to the fucking Victors
Jesus gently caress I almost broke my controller in half. Stuck on Ornstein and Smough in Anor Londo. Anyone got any tips? I've been using the +5 lightning spear which sucks against Ornstein but wrecks Smough (300 damage). Any easy way to take out Ornstein other than farming some humanity and then summoning solaire for the fight? Can I get Both of them down to low hp and then kill one so when the other gets powered up he only has a little hp left? Speaking of summoning him, where is his summon symbol? I must be blind.

Seik
Apr 15, 2006

Yes, I am indeed purple.
Pillbug

Shlapintogan posted:

If you go back to where you started out in Anor Londo and talk to the gargoyle that brought you there, you'll get taken back to Sen's Fortress.

Son of a bitch. How did I not spot that. Thanks man.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic
Just made Stray Demon my bitch. :black101:

Time to go upgrade my sword into Lighting +5

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore
The Ring of Fog is so stupid. They should make it so you're targetable inside a certain range or after you attack.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

lizardking posted:

Jesus gently caress I almost broke my controller in half. Stuck on Ornstein and Smough in Anor Londo. Anyone got any tips? I've been using the +5 lightning spear which sucks against Ornstein but wrecks Smough (300 damage). Any easy way to take out Ornstein other than farming some humanity and then summoning solaire for the fight? Can I get Both of them down to low hp and then kill one so when the other gets powered up he only has a little hp left? Speaking of summoning him, where is his summon symbol? I must be blind.

Unfortunately, once you kill one the other one gets all their health back. Try fire for Ornstein. I've seen a video of that particular boss fight, and it seemed like he took decent damage from fire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slacker Ace
Oct 30, 2010

Crowbear posted:

The best way I found to do it was to stay as far away from the boss as possible. Then if I dodged as soon as he released an attack I would be covered for all of them.

If it's the spikes, then you'll just dodge them outright. If it's the giant beam or the slow projectiles, you'll recover from your first dodge with enough time to dodge again when they get close to you.

I probably just suck at dodging (used to blocking everything), as I tried another few times with some leather armor for faster rolls and those spikes always get me. Sometimes seems like it shoots them right where I'm recovering from a dodge :argh:

• Locked thread