Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

23rd century snipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

FEMA summer camp posted:

Been watchin' DS9 again, I can't believe how lovely they treat Dukat. Yeah he was once overseer of Bajor or whatever but he keeps bending over backwards to be friendly/make it up to the hateful racist starfleet crew and they just keep making GBS threads all over him.

what you have to remember is that to the Bajorans and their Federation friends, Dukat is almost the equivalent of Adolf Hitler

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

Nevergirls posted:

23rd century snipe

Necronomoticon
Aug 14, 2007

Millennial 80's business guy
now with DS9 being on Netflix, I'm gonna do an "O'Brien Suffers" marathon.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

LP97S posted:

Theatrical or extended? Neither make any drat sense but Theatrical is more enjoyable.

The Lynch version, extended.

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

You Am I posted:

The Lynch version, extended.

Lynch never made any version aside from the theatrical, all of the extended cuts are by Universal. Every time they've asked him to do a director's cut he's refused because he doesn't like Dune.

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

amf5 posted:

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

inigo monz0rya posted:

2001 the book is a piece of poo poo

wrong

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

LP97S posted:

Lynch never made any version aside from the theatrical, all of the extended cuts are by Universal. Every time they've asked him to do a director's cut he's refused because he doesn't like Dune.

seriously, how the hell are you gonna make a movie out of that book?

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
i thought both the book and movie of 2001 were mediocre and way overrated

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Has anyone scored an advance (real or *ahem*) of 'The Children of the Sky', Vinge's new sequel to A Fire Upon The Deep..? Any good?

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Has anyone scored an advance (real or *ahem*) of 'The Children of the Sky', Vinge's new sequel to A Fire Upon The Deep..? Any good?

someone a couple of pages ago said it was okay but not great

idgaf, i've already preordered it

jooky
Jan 15, 2003

amf5 posted:

BUSINESS CATTE 2.0
Dec 23, 2002

by T. Butt
was fire upon the deep the one about the competitive bacteria and then the sequel was about robo girl out for revenge

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

BUSINESS CATTE 2.0 posted:

was fire upon the deep the one about the competitive bacteria and then the sequel was about robo girl out for revenge

no it was the one about distributed doggies and a galactic virus thingy

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
you could say they were a beo-wolf cluster :xd:

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
the premiere of dexter was incredibly bad.

we're supposed to believe that dexter was the only person who noticed blood under a victims fingernails because "i'm a blood spatter analyst, i notice things others don't" despite checking under fingernails is like the #1 thing you learn in csi 101.

also, lets throw in incredibly obvious "spell out everything exactly to the audience with dexters thought voice-overs"

also he can do instant dna matching alone in his office now?

not even admiral adama could save this season :(

i know dexter isn't sci fi, but it might as well be!!!

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
i've always been kinda lukewarm on dexter but after last season's finale and this season's premier it gets a thundering "who gives a gently caress" from me

BUSINESS CATTE 2.0
Dec 23, 2002

by T. Butt
dexter based closely on the books was good

the books get REALLY weird

like lovecraftian

it could have been an amazing tv show if they'd kept following the books, but since they didn't they're adrift in the land of mediocrity w/o anything to guide them

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Trig Discipline posted:

i thought both the book and movie of 2001 were mediocre and way overrated

2001 has lost a bit of its luster today but from the perspective of the late 60s it was absolutely mind-blowing, if only for the very high production values. The non-mind-trip spaceflight stuff was all very much "hey this might really be what 2001 will be like".

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

qirex posted:

I just finished Angelmass by Timothy Zahn I don't really recommend it. It's one of those "starts off with some really interesting ideas but the ending is a letdown" books.

Timothy Zahn got famous doing Star Wars extended universe poo poo. That's about all we need to say about him.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

The non-mind-trip spaceflight stuff

this is the main part of it that i actually enjoyed

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Trig Discipline posted:

this is the main part of it that i actually enjoyed

likewise

a lot of people say that part is really boring, but that's exactly what makes it so great, it perfectly gets the point across that space flight is a mundane, totally ordinary thing.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Bad rear end Boutique posted:

likewise

a lot of people say that part is really boring, but that's exactly what makes it so great, it perfectly gets the point across that space flight is a mundane, totally ordinary thing.

It's also beautifully shot and presented.

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

yosposting instructions

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
deedee get out of my laboratory :xd:

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

I still don't know if I have seen 2001. watched it at an arthouse cinema on a super widescreen 70mm copy.

sort of drifted in and out of sleep when it got real trippy at the end and I don't know what was me dreaming and what was the actual movie.

no drugs were involved either.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Bad rear end Boutique posted:

yosposting instructions

this is allegedly the only intentional joke in the entire movie

inigo monz0rya
Sep 23, 2011

HYMEN.SYS posted:

wrong

nope

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Trig Discipline posted:

someone a couple of pages ago said it was okay but not great

idgaf, i've already preordered it

That was me. Its OK, but not great.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

BonzoESC posted:

It's also beautifully shot and presented.

as is my posting

z0rence of a labia
Oct 9, 2011

inigo monz0rya posted:

nope

agreed

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
I haven't read the book but 2001 is one of the best sci fi movies ever and you are wrong as hell if you think otherwise.

z0rence of a labia
Oct 9, 2011

don't read the book... clarke tries to explain things and actually gives the name "moonwatcher" to the ape-man and generally ruins the magic that kubrick is able to more deftly weave onscreen.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
z0r you know you can just buy a namechange instead of a new account right

z0rence of a labia
Oct 9, 2011

ya

this is more fun tho for some raisin

z0rence of a labia
Oct 9, 2011

also if anyone has any good ideas for future accounts and names pls post and if they own i will buy u plat or something

z0rence of a labia
Oct 9, 2011

:forkbomb:

Sneaking Mission
Nov 11, 2008

z0rk bomb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

z0rence of a labia posted:

also if anyone has any good ideas for future accounts and names pls post and if they own i will buy u plat or something

z0r, z0r nevar changes

put your peyote face on dis

• Locked thread