Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Allright gently caress wearing the darkmoon invasion ring. Every time I invade someone I go against someone who just straight up one shots me, and it's intended since they are always just sort of standing around farming any phantoms that come in. The last guy who I invaded didn't even swing his weapon (and there wasn't an invisible hunter ring guy either) and my guy just sort of keels over once I get inside of like 10 feet of him.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Oct 9, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough
I'm having a strange physical reaction to frampt. I can't look at him. I get really uncomfortable and kinda sick. I have the tilt the camera away.

Malachite
Mar 2, 2004
I told the cat no the first time I talked to her. Does absolving sins reset that? Its not like I attacked her or anything, but she refuses to speak to me now. Or is there a way to get that backflip ring besides joining the hunter covenant?

Fiction
Apr 28, 2011
I know I'm way behind, but I just beat the Taurus Demon. Holy poo poo. This loving game.

I suppose I'm supposed to double back now that I've talked to the knight dude?

Meliv
Nov 1, 2008
Fairly early game question:

So I rung the bell at the bell tower in the Undead Parish and now I assume I have to get to Blighttown to ring the other bell but I don't know what the path is. Is it through the graveyard next to Firelink Shrine with the skeletons that assemble themselves or down the elevator into the New Londo Ruins?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Fiction posted:

I know I'm way behind, but I just beat the Taurus Demon. Holy poo poo. This loving game.

I suppose I'm supposed to double back now that I've talked to the knight dude?

Keep going, you can open up a shortcut and
you should keep going anyway. You've almost entered the main game. :)

Fiction
Apr 28, 2011

Neo Rasa posted:

Keep going, you can open up a shortcut and
you should keep going anyway. You've almost entered the main game. :)

But the dragon! :saddowns:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I just got the Drake Sword but I'm one strength to low to wield it properly, so I go back to a bonfire to level up, but now it won't let me put souls into anything to do so. I have 1000 souls and the last level up was about 800. What's up with that?

Losanda
Oct 19, 2002

Norman!

Meliv posted:

So I rung the bell at the bell tower in the Undead Parish and now I assume I have to get to Blighttown to ring the other bell but I don't know what the path is. Is it through the graveyard next to Firelink Shrine with the skeletons that assemble themselves or down the elevator into the New Londo Ruins?

Lol, was about to post the same thing.

Another question: I can't find any other spells than the soul arrow and the upgraded version (playing the german version, not sure about the english name) that you get right at the beginning from the smith behind the bars. I feel I should have more spells available (level 43, lol) but for the love of it, I can't find any mage spells. Someone, please?

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

RBA Starblade posted:

I just got the Drake Sword but I'm one strength to low to wield it properly, so I go back to a bonfire to level up, but now it won't let me put souls into anything to do so. I have 1000 souls and the last level up was about 800. What's up with that?

The next one is more than 1000?

Meliv
Nov 1, 2008

RBA Starblade posted:

More souls! You can use the sword without the reqs. Dual wield it for a while

Brian Fellows
May 29, 2003
I'm Brian Fellows
Questions:

1)I just beat Capra Demon and haven't touched the depths yet. I've got 30K souls. I want to help people on the bosses around here for a bit so I don't really want to level up, but I also don't want to lose those souls if I die. What should I spend them on? Any nifty pyro stuff to learn (ignoring miracles and magic) or are there any ores I can buy somewhere I should stock up on?

I'd rather upgrade gear as much as possible right now to get better at helping people. I've got a Knight Sheild +5; are there any better shields I can find right now?

2)Earlier in the game when I was just running around killing mobs, my humanity counter in the upper left would go up randomly and I always had some humanity. Now it never just randomly goes up. What drives this? Do I need to be below the soul level of whatever I'm killing? I went from "Humanity's easy to find," to "sweet Jesus I'll never be able to kindle a fire again.

3)The framerate is terrible in my game (Metal Gear Solid backwards compatible PS3). Like even in Firelink Shrink there's all kinds of slowdown. I haven't made it to some of the laggiest spots in the game yet apparently. Has anyone figured out a way to fix this? It becomes almost unplayable and freezes for long periods of time if there are too many enemies around.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Say, is there any decent place to hunt down some Twinkling stones? I got my Black Knight Greatsword up to +4 (300+ damage per one handed swing, Jesus F. Christ!), but a +5 can only be even more awesome, and I need some for my shield, which I've been neglecting.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Meliv posted:

More souls! You can use the sword without the reqs. Dual wield it for a while

That was it. It jumps from 800 to 1200. That's kind of annoying, but now I have a sweet dragon shield and an awesome dragon sword!

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Is the shield from the wolf's soul upgradable? If so, what sort of material do you need to upgrade it, and does it still up the stability?

Brian Fellows posted:

Questions:

1)I just beat Capra Demon and haven't touched the depths yet. I've got 30K souls. I want to help people on the bosses around here for a bit so I don't really want to level up, but I also don't want to lose those souls if I die. What should I spend them on? Any nifty pyro stuff to learn (ignoring miracles and magic) or are there any ores I can buy somewhere I should stock up on?
Buying that 20k key from the blacksmith would be a good idea, if you don't have it yet.

Escape_GOAT
May 20, 2004

Sputnik posted:

I'm really glad I picked up this game. Most of the monsters are brutally-tough-but-fair, even the first couple bosses like the Taurus Demon, but I still can't take a Black Knight down. Can they be parried, or is it just trial and error, dodging in narrow hallways?

I waited until I got the Drake Sword before I killed them. I just get in close and circle strafe them. The one in the tower near the Undead Parish is easy to kill if you have a polearm or halberd. Just pull him down the stairs and he can't pull of his attacks because the stairway is too narrow. Then, poke at him while backpedaling. You can get him down to 1/4 health or so by the time you reach the hallway.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
What is the loving deal with Lautrec? His weapon seems to ignore my shield, but not every time. Only some of the time. And I can never ever get a hit off on him without him hitting first. I've tried all sorts of different weapons and get the same problems every time.

He's really beginning to get on my tits.

Edit: Nevermind, I got lucky and the son of a bitch is dead.

Leyburn fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Oct 9, 2011

canada jezus
Jul 18, 2011

So i'm still super early in game, undead burg etc,. I had a question about weapons, what should i aim for? I gather one that scales with whatever i'm doing (in my case dex i guess), one lightning, one fire?

Inside Out Mom
Jan 9, 2004

Franklin B. Znorps
Dignity, Class, Internet
Wheres the dragon shield at? Also what type of stats on it ?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Someone mentioned you could shoot the dragon from the top of the tower with the greatsword black knight on it on the way into Undead Parish. I'm on that tower but I can't see said dragon at all. Help?

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
What do Lloyd's Talismans do? Does it just not allow anyone to regain Estus, including myself?

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Meliv posted:

Need to kill the Capra Demon and get the key, it's in the lower part of the Burgs.

Defghanistan
Feb 9, 2010

2base2furious
Am trying to fight Quellag, at the bonfire- summon a phantom that is 1h'ing the dragon king axe. First thing he does is accidentally roll off the platform and die. Pro.

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.

Leyburn posted:

What is the loving deal with Lautrec? His weapon seems to ignore my shield, but not every time. Only some of the time. And I can never ever get a hit off on him without him hitting first. I've tried all sorts of different weapons and get the same problems every time.

Shotels ignore shields. Not sure why it is only happening some of the time though.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
Since nobody answered me last time I asked this: what is the penalty for dying as an invader? Do you lose your souls and humanity like a normal death, or do you just get booted out of the other player's world?

Metrohunter
Sep 30, 2009

Ain't no thing like me, 'cept me.
So I just finished Blighttown and beat Quelaag and Ceaseless Discharge before coming back up after seeing I have to fight 5 of those stupid demons at once, my firekeeper is dead and I don't know where to go so I can bring her back. Do I want to head through to New Londo Ruins or the fortress that just opened up? I haven't killed the wolf yet either, should that be my first stop?

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

After spending an hour or so trying to invade people in the forest as a phantom I thought I'd just give everyone a heads up: sorcery is terrible in pvp in this game. Maybe I'm terrible, but the longer cast times and invincibility to spells (through fog ring & lock on immunity or flip spam, which seems to work far better than rolling ever did/does) means every single person I have invade can effortlessly avoid taking any magic damage.

StringOfLetters
Apr 2, 2007
What?

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Since nobody answered me last time I asked this: what is the penalty for dying as an invader? Do you lose your souls and humanity like a normal death, or do you just get booted out of the other player's world?

Yeah. You need to be human to start an invasion, and if you're killed, you lose that humanity and some soulbucks.

Leyburn posted:

That weapon can be found elsewhere in the game. I think it's called a shotel? The way it's curved is designed to go around shields and hit dudes' arms, so a portion of its damage penetrates through your block. He switches between the shotel and a short sword, which you can fully block. You can take advantage of the fact that he is heavily armored and slow-moving to back away from him and poke at him from the edge of his reach with a longer weapon than his short choppy things. Or start swinging before he does.

Also, seriously, has anybody found an advanced miracle trainer besides that guy who starts out near Firelink?

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007
So I'm gonna do Blighttown now. Is it worth it to use the Shadow Garb (the poison resist one) throughout all of it or just parts, or not at all? I'm usually a warrior in heavy armor so I can block most attacks anyway.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

I think if you're a black phantom you lose all your souls and if youre a blue phantom all you lose is your precious time

Defghanistan
Feb 9, 2010

2base2furious

Defghanistan posted:

Am trying to fight Quellag, at the bonfire- summon a phantom that is 1h'ing the dragon king axe. First thing he does is accidentally roll off the platform and die. Pro.

Same player just did it again. Am I being trolled here?

Manley Pointer
Sep 6, 2010
Hey, I'm sure this has been posted somewhere in this enormous thread, but I can't find it--does anyone know what the black circle with a white slit in the middle means? It appears in the top left sometimes, next to the stam regen symbol, and it's popped up a couple times whether I'm alive or dead.

Metrohunter
Sep 30, 2009

Ain't no thing like me, 'cept me.

Foxhound posted:

So I'm gonna do Blighttown now. Is it worth it to use the Shadow Garb (the poison resist one) throughout all of it or just parts, or not at all? I'm usually a warrior in heavy armor so I can block most attacks anyway.

Not in my opinion. Just bring a lot of purple and blooming moss, I think I went through about 12 blooming and 18 regular by the time I was done.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
Re-asking, lol fast thread: I really want a nice bludgeoning type weapon, can anyone recommend one? And I don't mean giant sword that happens to smash things into bits, but actual mace-like weapons. The only one I think I've found has been the Morningstar early on.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Defghanistan posted:

Same player just did it again. Am I being trolled here?

What platforms are there before that fight?? The closest bonfire is on the ground... Are you summoning from the bridge? That is so far away.

Seizureman
Dec 27, 2009

FABULOUS
Is the undead merchant in the Burg the only dude that sells arrows/bolts in the early game? Because I killed the dude before hearing you can shoot the tail of the dragon to get the Drake Sword.
Also, do Black Knights respawn? I killed the one in the Burg (Bombed him from the roof in the previous area) but he didn't drop any of his gear.

Defghanistan
Feb 9, 2010

2base2furious

Vintersorg posted:

What platforms are there before that fight?? The closest bonfire is on the ground... Are you summoning from the bridge? That is so far away.

Are you making GBS threads me there's a bonfire on the ground? Where?!

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Defghanistan posted:

Hehe, it's like, right before the ferris wheel thingie, get on the ground and hug the wall. It's in a sewer type entrance. There is a dragon scale up the sewer too.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy

Tokubetsu posted:

I'm having a strange physical reaction to frampt. I can't look at him. I get really uncomfortable and kinda sick. I have the tilt the camera away.

Have you chatted with him? His accent rules :)

Defghanistan posted:

Once you reach the ground floor, hug the wall you just came from and go right (facing outward) there should be what looks like a sewer tunnel not far, and inside should be a bonfire. If you see the ferris wheel elevator thing, then you've gone a little too far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

StringOfLetters posted:

Also, seriously, has anybody found an advanced miracle trainer besides that guy who starts out near Firelink?

I have not and I'm decently far into the game. It seems like you find a lot more miracles as loot than pyro or sorc spells though. Granted most of them require, like, 30 or 40 faith.

Revitalized posted:

Have you chatted with him? His accent rules :)

He's like the crazy undead snake version of the dragon from the Neverending story.

• Locked thread