Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Defghanistan
Feb 9, 2010

2base2furious
So you know those "hold" moves (only way I can describe them) that some mobs do? The unblockable "chewing on your neck" type moves?

Can anyone tell me why those do like 500,000 loving damage? Just had that done to me- 4/5 of my health bar gone, instantly dead. Just some normal goddamn mob.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cakeequals
Jun 15, 2011

I'm going to make sweet love to him! FROM THE BACK!!
RRRRRRRRR
So, I have this +10 Scimitar which I really want to upgrade into the Furysword, but apparently the Parish Blacksmith can't do it? Where can I find one that can? I just rang the second bell, for reference.

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

QUACKING PERMABANNED! READ HERE

~SMcD
I just invaded a guy. Took me a couple of minutes to find him, and he was a heavily armored knight-type dude with a sword. I'm a thief with leather armor and a +8 winged spear.

It took me about 15 minutes, but I slowly wore him down because every time he'd attack I would stab him back while keeping my block up. Winged spear is truly the best weapon.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
What's with the giant dude in the church in the Undead Parish who has a massive tower shield and a huge mace? He looks like he'll easily kill me.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

There is a magic guy in Sen's Fortress you need to free... I am not magic but he has a big hat... try to free him. ;)

Seemenaked
Nov 19, 2003

...but girls already have a vagina between their legs, so they don't gotta trick anyone...
So pvp, why doesn't it work? Do people just come to the forest as undead to farm/exploit? I really want to finish this drat covenants stuff so I can kill the cat and those two guards in cool looking gear. Isn't there some neat trick involving the wolf if you are in the forest covenant? Oh also I killed that dickhead at the top of the bell tower, the guy who takes your souls to abolish sins. Yeah he had it coming, fucker took 146k from me and all he gave me was 2 twin humanities and a book of the guilty :negative:

Cakeequals
Jun 15, 2011

I'm going to make sweet love to him! FROM THE BACK!!
RRRRRRRRR

Elysiume posted:

What's with the giant dude in the church in the Undead Parish who has a massive tower shield and a huge mace? He looks like he'll easily kill me.

He's not that bad, he's slow as poo poo, so use that to your advantage. Plus, once you kill him, he doesn't respawn.

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax
Hey all, just finished the Quelaag portion of Blight Town and on, does someone mind telling me how to get to The Great Hollow from here?

rizuhbull
Mar 30, 2011

Anyone know if the toolboxes to repair and reinforce your armor and weapons at bonfires is universal? As soon as you buy 'em, you can use 'em at any bonfire?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

After helping out some guy I decide to go fight a boar. The big pig gores through my shield and impales me. That could be a problem. Too bad I can't summon any phantoms because I've seen two humanity the entire game so far and used it kindling a bonfire.

e: Oh good you can't dodge the pig if you're encumbered at all either. That's great.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Oct 9, 2011

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Cakeequals posted:

So, I have this +10 Scimitar which I really want to upgrade into the Furysword, but apparently the Parish Blacksmith can't do it? Where can I find one that can? I just rang the second bell, for reference.

The Blacksmith in Anor Londo makes the boss weapons.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

Cakeequals posted:

You have to make it through the fortress that opened up by the blacksmith's place. The smith who does boss weapons is in the area after that.

rizuhbull posted:

Anyone know if the toolboxes to repair and reinforce your armor and weapons at bonfires is universal? As soon as you buy 'em, you can use 'em at any bonfire?

They are universal.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Elysiume posted:

Go kill him, if it breathes... YOU CAN KILL IT. :D

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Cakeequals posted:

He's not that bad, he's slow as poo poo, so use that to your advantage. Plus, once you kill him, he doesn't respawn.
I am a coward, but I'll try that. My poorly planned statting means I have a lot of Dex, but little to no Vit/End. I took the advice in the thread and started ranking those, but that just means they're 9/10 instead of 9/9.

That guy is also somewhere in a series of narrow hallways. I can't see him, but I can hear him. And when I find him, I'm going to get terrified.

Unrelated, but Astora's Straight Sword has been so, so good for me. I had to grind out 3 Faith, but it just deals so much more damage than everything else and it's quite fast. It also has reasonable forward AoE on fast attack, and a solid lunge on strong.

edit: oh dear god he can run

StringOfLetters
Apr 2, 2007
What?

Merauder posted:

Re-asking, lol fast thread: I really want a nice bludgeoning type weapon, can anyone recommend one? And I don't mean giant sword that happens to smash things into bits, but actual mace-like weapons. The only one I think I've found has been the Morningstar early on.

Blacksmith Andrei sells a straight-up Mace, I believe. The Undead Merchant guy in the first part of the burgs sells a 'reinforced club,' which is basically a nail bat, which doesn't look like much but does really impressively high damage for its class, attacks faster than the morningstar, and inflicts bleeding damage so you get a big 3x damage combo bonus if you whack someone three or four times in a row with it.

The reinforced club appears to have lower damage scaling than the vanilla club next to it, but since damage scaling is based on a % of weapon damage, it ends up being better basically always.

StringOfLetters fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Oct 9, 2011

charismaslover
Dec 3, 2006

Too stylish for this world...
Stone armour looks badass.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

How do I revive the firekeeper at the firelink shrine? I've killed the guy who killed her.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Nelson Mandingo posted:

How do I revive the firekeeper at the firelink shrine? I've killed the guy who killed her.

I can't remember if he gives you her soul back when you beat him or not. If not, you have to beat Smough and Ornstein and you'll find his corpse in the room above them. After that you just take it back to her cage.

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

I can't decide which item I should get from Sif's soul. Any recommendations?

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy

Nelson Mandingo posted:

He should have awarded you with the Fire Keeper's Soul when you slew him. Use the soul on the spot where she use to be

Inside Out Mom
Jan 9, 2004

Franklin B. Znorps
Dignity, Class, Internet

RBA Starblade posted:

After helping out some guy I decide to go fight a boar. The big pig gores through my shield and impales me. That could be a problem. Too bad I can't summon any phantoms because I've seen two humanity the entire game so far and used it kindling a bonfire.

e: Oh good you can't dodge the pig if you're encumbered at all either. That's great.

When you first go into the room with the boar.the stairs to your right. Boar can't charge through stone.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Do you still have the Firekeeper's Soul you got? Go back to the firekeeper and you should get a prompt to give her soul back.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Revitalized posted:

He should have awarded you with the Fire Keeper's Soul when you slew him. Use the soul on the spot where she use to be

Whoops. I upgraded my flask.

Bitch Twinkles
Nov 5, 2007

HAVE COURAGE PLAY ST MODE

Tokubetsu posted:

I'm having a strange physical reaction to frampt. I can't look at him. I get really uncomfortable and kinda sick. I have the tilt the camera away.

for me it's the chewing noise, fucks me up every time

Defghanistan
Feb 9, 2010

2base2furious

Vintersorg posted:

Hehe, it's like, right before the ferris wheel thingie, get on the ground and hug the wall. It's in a sewer type entrance. There is a dragon scale up the sewer too.

Dude is it to the left or the right? The left just has 1,000,000,000,000 mosquitos and worms. Just keep getting raped. gently caress this place. My wife just told me to stop yelling obsceneties.

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

QUACKING PERMABANNED! READ HERE

~SMcD
You know, it'd be nice if summoning a white phantom worked more than 10% of the time.

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.

Manley Pointer posted:

Hey, I'm sure this has been posted somewhere in this enormous thread, but I can't find it--does anyone know what the black circle with a white slit in the middle means? It appears in the top left sometimes, next to the stam regen symbol, and it's popped up a couple times whether I'm alive or dead.

That's the Evil Eye Ring icon. It signifies that you get some health back with every kill.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Vatek posted:

You know, it'd be nice if summoning a white phantom worked more than 10% of the time.

It works 0% of the time for me so you should feel lucky. :v:

Malachite
Mar 2, 2004

Defghanistan posted:

So you know those "hold" moves (only way I can describe them) that some mobs do? The unblockable "chewing on your neck" type moves?

Can anyone tell me why those do like 500,000 loving damage? Just had that done to me- 4/5 of my health bar gone, instantly dead. Just some normal goddamn mob.

They're super annoying and unblockable, but it seems like if you mash your attack button you can break free from them early like a stun in a fighting game.

Though the grabs from the Centipede Boss in the Demon Ruins are super buggy. One time I broke free right as I died and my character became invincible but unable to do anything. Another time the boss just vanished after I broke free, but was still alive.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Sarcophallus posted:

Hey all, just finished the Quelaag portion of Blight Town and on, does someone mind telling me how to get to The Great Hollow from here?

The route I found was on the opposite end of the lower level of Blighttown. Run up a giant tree root and there should be a small alcove with some treasure. Hit the wall and you reveal a path to a treasure chest. Hit the wall behind the treasure chest and you reveal a path The Great Hollow and a bonfire.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Defghanistan posted:

Every one of the hold/stab through moves in the game have a massive wind-up and leave the enemy vulnerable afterwards. Just avoid them.

Wait until you fight the mimic chests

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

U-DO Burger posted:

The route I found was on the opposite end of the lower level of Blighttown. Run up a giant tree root and there should be a small alcove with some treasure. Hit the wall and you reveal a path to a treasure chest. Hit the wall behind the treasure chest and you reveal a path The Great Hollow and a bonfire.

Lower level = the swamp or the lowest platform of the wooden monstrosity?

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Defghanistan posted:

Dude is it to the left or the right? The left just has 1,000,000,000,000 mosquitos and worms. Just keep getting raped. gently caress this place. My wife just told me to stop yelling obsceneties.

It's on the right side, opposite to the hill you enter for the spider bitch. Just stay on that wall there, outside of it is a spiderman thingie.

Brian Fellows
May 29, 2003
I'm Brian Fellows
Earlier in the game when I was just running around killing mobs, my humanity counter in the upper left would go up randomly and I always had some humanity. Now it never just randomly goes up. What drives this? Do I need to be below the soul level of whatever I'm killing? I went from "Humanity's easy to find," to "sweet Jesus I'll never be able to kindle a fire again.

Defghanistan
Feb 9, 2010

2base2furious
You know what makes blight town so bad (aside from falling, poison, toxin, swamp movement and infinite spawning mosquitos)? 20 frames per second, forever.

Seriously, what the gently caress. Who QA'd this?

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

so I just joined darkmoon blades and I was alive and looking for guilty. And I was invaded. The guy killed me and had inditments on him. I know where he is and he's guilty why can't I invade him, or anyone. how does this even work, do i have to guess where guilty people hang out? does this ring only work in anor londo? I"m extremely disappointed with the execution of multiplayer here.

also this is the first time in 40 hours that I've been invaded because the invasion system is so dumb

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
I am taking my time since I don't have internet for the time being, and it rocks. With this and saints row I'm not going to need to buy a video game for like six months.

Anyway, I've cleared my way to the fog gate at the top of the parish and Ive been grinding these rapier chumps for some upgrade monies. The only thing I have left to do before I enter the fog is make sure that my only real armor choices at this point beside the starter set is chainmail, balder, and the hollowed sets? My endurance isn't high enough to roll quickly with any of the medium poo poo I have now and it's a bummer. Have I missed some leathers or something along the way, oor is it time for me to sally forth and head upstairs?

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

The top is the ferris wheel, the green is the sewer.

Bitch Twinkles
Nov 5, 2007

HAVE COURAGE PLAY ST MODE
gonna agree with whoever said none of the bosses are really that hard, just gotta take it easy. one shotted gaping demon,quellag, moonlight butterfly and walked off like a boss

except capra demon, but that's only because of the dogs

also, poison ain't a thing, the set you actually start the game with has pretty high poison resist if I remember. Since I didn't have the ring, I just walked through that swamp and said gently caress it to everything. Toxin just means you gotta take it slow, maybe take in with you a few moss. The moss can either be bought off the shortcut merchant near the depths' entrance, or farmed off the tree things in darkroot.

Bitch Twinkles fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Oct 9, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Defghanistan posted:

You know what makes blight town so bad (aside from falling, poison, toxin, swamp movement and infinite spawning mosquitos)? 20 frames per second, forever.

Seriously, what the gently caress. Who QA'd this?

Twenty? Oh man you're hilarious, try ten or five when there's enemies on screen.

• Locked thread