Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
You can break out of the hold moves. If you mash RT there will be a clashing swords effect + sound like you're fighting your way out. You will usually win if they aren't too strong an enemy or you're at relatively high HP.

Also on darkmoon covenant stuff.

I just checked the book of the guilty. There's only 625 people playing this game even in there. I managed to invade and kill 1 person in Sen's Fortress but that's it. I wish the MP element of this game wasn't so dead. With the scarceness of humanity everyone is just running round in hollow form. I want to dish out some justice :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Okay, I had watched the Dark Souls quick look on GiantBomb a week ago I was completely entranced but intimidated as gently caress by the game. I worry this game will destroy me and be a complete time vampire.

After hearing endless Dark Souls talk on IRC, I think I have decided to pick up this game.

In the OP, it is said that the only difference between the game on either console is the type of controller. What do you all think of the controls on the 360? I only have a 360 currently but will be buying a PS3 next month. So I'm wondering if I should just play the game on the 360 or wait until I get my PS3.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Znorps! posted:

When you first go into the room with the boar.the stairs to your right. Boar can't charge through stone.

I didn't realize that, but I manage to dodge enough to get a few heavy hits in and kill it. Didn't get a neat hat, but I did get some Balder armor off those rapier guys. One of the jerks snuck up on me while I killed another and backstabbed me!

quote:

In the OP, it is said that the only difference between the game on either console is the type of controller.

The controls have killed me more than anything so far.

Systems_Id
Feb 16, 2005

LEFT CHEEK! LEFT CHEEK! LEFT CHEEK!
Finally got a chance to sink my teeth into this and, after dying a handful of times, I managed to beat the Taurus Demon without taking any damage.

So good.

Ayss
Jul 11, 2007
I've been an experiencing an issue fairly regularly, and it's really starting to hinder me in long drawn out fights. Frequently right after blocking an attack, when I press any other button (usually my item button, or either light or heavy attack) then nothing happens and my character just stands there. They will then take the action I was trying to take the next time I hit any button (Usually block) instead of of the button I was trying to press.

It means a lot in long fights I set myself up to be able to flask, or set myself up for a blow, and it never comes, leaving me open. And I cannot then block or roll from the next attack, because when I press block, my character instead does the attack I'd tried to do before, or takes a drink.

It's not the end of the world, but I havn't seen anything on other people experiencing it yet (I've also only skimmed the back end of this thread, and only fully read the first half or so of it, so I may have missed someone else commenting on it).

Playing on x-box, and kind of hoping its just my controller acting up.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Krinkle posted:

so I just joined darkmoon blades and I was alive and looking for guilty. And I was invaded. The guy killed me and had inditments on him. I know where he is and he's guilty why can't I invade him, or anyone. how does this even work, do i have to guess where guilty people hang out? does this ring only work in anor londo? I"m extremely disappointed with the execution of multiplayer here.

also this is the first time in 40 hours that I've been invaded because the invasion system is so dumb

You have to guess where guilty players are and they have to be +/-10% of your level. The ring auto-invades people that meet the level requirement in Anor Lando if they've killed the giant princess.

edit: and yeah it's really bad. The MP execution is a huge bummer.

Bastard Priest
Jun 16, 2010

by Fistgrrl
i heard how hard Ornstein and Smough and decided to be in human form the first time i fought him, and this caster guy took them down in a fit hits, haha what the gently caress...? i guess i should have went magic?

invalid
Aug 1, 2005

by I Ozma Myself
It's not just me, but this sequel is quite a bit harder. I spent all morning getting the whole "Burb" area situation all the way to the Church - even got the the prisoner. Then proceed to give it a go at the boss and was insta-raped It's not the death (it wasn't even that many lost souls, around 1500. It's the fact that I have to run all the way from the blacksmith area, hope that knight on the stairs doesn't rape me considering i've been pretty spotty with those guys then hope I can make those latters.

I remember leaving around 30k in lost souls multiple times the first time around, but things seem to just hurt more a personal level.

Maybe I'm just old.

Cinroth
Dec 11, 2008

Has it never occured
to you that this club
is overpopulated?
I cleared out the catacombs (killed all necromancers and the boss and just stepped out into Tomb of the Giants) but I never encountered Patches anywhere. I hear he's supposed to be at one of the bridge switches but I never met him. What did I gently caress up?

Also where do you meet him in the Tomb of the Giants? And where can I get a Skull Lantern in there? It's dark as gently caress. Darker than a dark soul. Send help.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy

Sultan Tarquin posted:

You can break out of the hold moves. If you mash RT there will be a clashing swords effect + sound like you're fighting your way out. You will usually win if they aren't too strong an enemy or you're at relatively high HP.

WHAT. GODDAMNIT.

Bastard Priest posted:

i heard how hard Ornstein and Smough and decided to be in human form the first time i fought him, and this caster guy took them down in a fit hits, haha what the gently caress...? i guess i should have went magic?

I had some phantom carry me through that whole place. Like, he was slaying poo poo left and right, one shotting certain things and cutting through the bosses like butter. He was using some kind of katana, but oh god I want whatever he has.

Brian Fellows
May 29, 2003
I'm Brian Fellows

Ayss posted:

I've been an experiencing an issue fairly regularly, and it's really starting to hinder me in long drawn out fights. Frequently right after blocking an attack, when I press any other button (usually my item button, or either light or heavy attack) then nothing happens and my character just stands there. They will then take the action I was trying to take the next time I hit any button (Usually block) instead of of the button I was trying to press.

It means a lot in long fights I set myself up to be able to flask, or set myself up for a blow, and it never comes, leaving me open. And I cannot then block or roll from the next attack, because when I press block, my character instead does the attack I'd tried to do before, or takes a drink.

It's not the end of the world, but I havn't seen anything on other people experiencing it yet (I've also only skimmed the back end of this thread, and only fully read the first half or so of it, so I may have missed someone else commenting on it).

Playing on x-box, and kind of hoping its just my controller acting up.

Nah this happens a lot. It seems like while you're blocking it'll queue up your actions, so if you try and drink it won't work for whatever reason, but as soon as you stop blocking or try to do something else it'll go with your queued action. Super annoying sometimes but all that happens is you learn not to press a button if you're in the middle of some other animation.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Can I revive the firekeeper with any firekeeper soul?

Bitch Twinkles
Nov 5, 2007

HAVE COURAGE PLAY ST MODE
do merchants have a limited quantity of items, may try to farm souls to buy humanity for my chaos covenant before I finish this playthrough. Also, does breaking a covenant carry over in new game? gonna kill this spider bitch for her soul, but don't want to have to pay to absolve or get the egg head just yet

Defghanistan
Feb 9, 2010

2base2furious
10th death falling from the rigging in blightown trying to get back down to the ground, where I just was.

Guantanom Bay should employ this poo poo. This is worse than waterboarding.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Are throwing knives useful at all?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Holy poo poo did I just summon an NPC to help me fight the Gargoyles?

And holy poo poo did he just kick their asses? :psyduck:

never leaving human form again

Also reiterating my previous question, where do I go to nail the poo poo out of that dragon? I have his tail, I want his souls :black101:

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Can I revive the firekeeper with any firekeeper soul?

Don't think so. I used her soul not realizing I could revive her and I tried coming back with the next one I found with no luck.

Jzmisgoo
Sep 15, 2007

Jzm IS goo!!

Ledneh posted:

never leaving human form again

Have fun with that.

Stiggs
Apr 25, 2008

Miles and miles of friends!
I just did my first ever Invasion. I slaughtered a poor guy paying a visit to the merchant in Undead Burg.

I need to find some more cracked red eye orbs because that was hilarious.

rizuhbull
Mar 30, 2011

Anyone know a good spot to go when you're level 50?

Boosh!
Apr 12, 2002
Oven Wrangler
How do you forge a lightning weapon? I have a +5 Halberd and, possibly foolishly, burnt another ember with Andrei to make fire weps which I do not want.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

I've been helping people with the sword wolf for the last hour or so. As of yet, I am undefeated with this boss. It is actually kind of fun. The first time I was summoned, it looks like the guy was running away from an invader, who I managed to kill. So far I've helped Hannibal something or other, YETTEI, and robot_mushroom. Wonder if any of them are goons.

I probably shouldn't keep doing it until I burn the 55k souls and loose humanity it has earned me.

rizuhbull posted:

I've been getting summoned pretty regularly to help with the sword wolf at 48.

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Oct 9, 2011

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Sarcophallus posted:

Lower level = the swamp or the lowest platform of the wooden monstrosity?

Yeah, by lower level I meant the swamp. So it's on the side of the swamp opposite the entrance to Queelag's Domain.

Boosh! posted:

How do you forge a lightning weapon? I have a +5 Halberd and, possibly foolishly, burnt another ember with Andrei to make fire weps which I do not want.

Embers go only to specific blacksmiths. You can't screw yourself by giving an ember to the "wrong blacksmith". I dunno how to make lightning weapons though.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

rizuhbull posted:

not anor londo! nobody is summoning me here and these gremlinns are kicking my rear end

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

Krinkle posted:

not anor londo! nobody is summoning me here and these gremlinns are kicking my rear end

I'm 56 and I'm there, it's easy as hell except for the two ballista wielding black knights who pincer you so you can't block their arrows.

Defghanistan
Feb 9, 2010

2base2furious
Finally made it down to the ground level bonfire. Was hoping there'd be some summoning signs here, there are none.

Good luck to me!

BigLeafyTree
Oct 21, 2010

Could anyone tell me exactly how small shields like target shield or stuff like parrying pagger actually differ from normal shield parry?

I can't notice any difference when I compare them in fights.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

Is there a shortcut to the bossfight of New Londo Ruins? I want to do it but the thought of running back from the parish every time makes me want to throw up.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Okay, what the gently caress am I supposed to do about the knight in the church? No matter which direction I roll, he just turns with me and hits me anyway.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

Elysiume posted:

Okay, what the gently caress am I supposed to do about the knight in the church? No matter which direction I roll, he just turns with me and hits me anyway.

Get something with long range, wait for him to do an attack (wait to see if he does a second swing), then poke him and back off.

Vier
Aug 5, 2007

I picked up a few months of xbox live gold so I could play online but I'm not seeing anything different.
There are no blood stains, ghosts, messages and no one has entered my world after leaving a white chalk message. Do I have to do something special to enable multiplayer?

charismaslover
Dec 3, 2006

Too stylish for this world...
Mimics are terrifying and fast :gonk:

Killed it in Sen's Fortress and then proceeded to go on an elevator ride into some spikes. Progress.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Fellblade posted:

Get something with long range, wait for him to do an attack (wait to see if he does a second swing), then poke him and back off.
Oh god, thank you. For some reason I was stuck in the mindset of blocking/dodging instead of just keeping my distance. The quality of that short sword made me completely forget that I had a +3 Winged Spear.

edit: A mage just lasered me or something and it scared me so much it gave me a headache :negative:

Numbers
Jul 13, 2000
Anyone know where the vendor is to buy (anor londo spoiler)smough's armor? I read he is supposed to be under the bridge around firelink, but I don't see anyone there.

edit: nevermind, found him

Numbers fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Oct 9, 2011

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Elysiume posted:

Roll later and behind him. They can rotate during the wind-up but at a certain point in the animation they're committed to the direction they're facing.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
PvP is probably one of the most unfun things ever thanks to the fog ring.

Metrohunter
Sep 30, 2009

Ain't no thing like me, 'cept me.

Stiggs posted:

I just did my first ever Invasion. I slaughtered a poor guy paying a visit to the merchant in Undead Burg.

I need to find some more cracked red eye orbs because that was hilarious.

The guy I spent my last red eye on disconnected as soon as I ran behind some mobs to heal up. That made me pretty annoyed.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Rascyc posted:

PvP is probably one of the most unfun things ever thanks to the fog ring.

I heard a rumor you can use a transient curse and be able to target them.

Rollie the Guar
Sep 12, 2011

You can't change nature, Jack.

gigawhite posted:

Is there a shortcut to the bossfight of New Londo Ruins? I want to do it but the thought of running back from the parish every time makes me want to throw up.

The floodgate you opened leads to the Valley of the Drakes. You've still got to fight through the bottom area every time, but you can skip the ghost part, at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

I've hit a brick wall against Quelaag, I'm still using the Drake sword and it's really showing it's lack of stat scaling, what's a good upgrade at this point?

• Locked thread