Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Agnostic watermelon
Jul 1, 2009

I'm a lil' Brony!

Rollersnake posted:

Is there any way I can tell what the stat requirements are for specific equipment? I can't find this in any of the information I can look at for any equipment.

hit X on your equipment slot, find the item and hit square. If the number is red it means you stats are too low.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.

Rollersnake posted:

Is there any way I can tell what the stat requirements are for specific equipment? I can't find this in any of the information I can look at for any equipment.

Also I've yet to do a single successful backstab. I thought you just had to be directly behind the enemy and do a R2 attack? I can't get this to work even on the Hollows who just stand around near the entrance to New Londo. Can I only backstab with daggers or something?

Press square/X (PS3/360) on the inventory screen for the weapon you want to see the minimum stats for.

You use R1 for backstabs, not R2.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Being that I've never played a souls game, would it be bad for me to pick up the strat guide?

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Is there any sheet for the uses of boss souls yet? I want to know if I should consume them, forge them into something or give them to the two bells NPC.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

How do we feel about upgrading armor? Weapons/shields is a no-brainer, but it seems like armor has so little effect already, that bumping it up a couple of percentiles without knowing if it's going to be the thing you're wearing forever seems wasteful. I'm only as far as the first blacksmith, though, so maybe it's more useful in DaS than in DeS and I haven't noticed?

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Bobnumerotres posted:

Is there any sheet for the uses of boss souls yet? I want to know if I should consume them, forge them into something or give them to the two bells NPC.

This is the best I can find so far: http://darksoulswiki.wikispaces.com/Upgrades#Boss%20Souls:%20Upgrade%20Usage

GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"

Mordiceius posted:

Being that I've never played a souls game, would it be bad for me to pick up the strat guide?

The Futurepress guide is incredibly well done and you should definitely pick it up. It's one of the most thorough and detailed guides I've ever seen for a game, the production quality is top-notch and there's odds that you might not be -able- to get one easily if they get weird about their production.

Agnostic watermelon
Jul 1, 2009

I'm a lil' Brony!

Mordiceius posted:

No, The strat guide is pretty much only going to help you item wise.

charismaslover
Dec 3, 2006

Too stylish for this world...

darkhand posted:

The only spell I have is combustion. Is that the Hydra?

Yep, doesn't help that you have to get really close while he fires off a magic attack from all 5 heads when you are still at range. Also keep in mind that you move slower in the water while fighting him, and to watch your feet when you are close as you can fall to your death over the edge.

A few things that will help with Darkroot, if you go straight and follow the path all the way you will see a door that is locked, if you attack the wall next to it there is a hidden bonfire. Also when you go down into the basin, when you drop down after the crystal gecko and go right and down the path there is a knight waiting. If you beat him there is a bonfire where he was that helped me out a lot I died to the Hydra

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!
So what weapons are you guys doing high-tier upgrades on? I'm assuming you need atleast 1 lightning/fire weapon and 1 divine weapon?

I'm thinking of using the Iaido for a lightning. No clue what I should do for divine. Apparently there's a sweet Curved blade from Either the butterfly soul or wolf soul? but I thought curved blades were supposed to suck at hurting armor.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
New Londo Ruins isn't any fun either. It's starting to look like Belfry Gargoyle or bust.

I heard you need to progress far enough in the game to get something that you can "sell" items to? That might be helpful as I'm unable to amass more than 1000 souls without dying and don't want to be farming this early in the game.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

charismaslover posted:

Yep, doesn't help that you have to get really close while he fires off a magic attack from all 5 heads when you are still at range. Also keep in mind that you move slower in the water while fighting him, and to watch your feet when you are close as you can fall to your death over the edge.

A few things that will help with Darkroot, if you go straight and follow the path all the way you will see a door that is locked, if you attack the wall next to it there is a hidden bonfire. Also when you go down into the basin, when you drop down after the crystal gecko and go right and down the path there is a knight waiting. If you beat him there is a bonfire where he was that helped me out a lot I died to the Hydra

Ha, thanks I have been using the firelink entrance I think (my mind is all twisted atm). One of the entrances put me right next to the crystal golems which seemed pretty close to him. He was attacking me at that distance anyways. I actually used the Crystal Shield on the Butterfly because of it's magic resists and it's still at 249/250 durability so I might try that again if I need to.

der juicen
Aug 11, 2005

Fuck haters
Welp, I guess I get to sell this game, as there seems to be no viable way for me to defeat Capra Demon. And i like this game, too.

Malachite
Mar 2, 2004
So I attacked the ninja in the forest and he just run away. What the hell? Does he despawn or do I seriously have to find an invisible ninja in this forest if I want to finish him off?

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Now that I got this zweihandler to +9 I feel like I can stop using the drake sword. This hilarious, in nearly full heavy armor, with the quick stamina regain shield and havels ring I a loving tornado of death. I want to make this into an elemental weapon!

What shield is that?

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

Comrade Flynn posted:

What shield is that?

Grass Crest. The bad thing is that it's not 100% mitigation so you end up with weird block animations that can kill you.

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

der juicen posted:

Welp, I guess I get to sell this game, as there seems to be no viable way for me to defeat Capra Demon. And i like this game, too.

Do you have the Drake Sword? If you do, you should just be able to swing it and hit all of the enemies, I think the dogs go down in 2 hits.

Finally got Sif after grinding enough souls to upgrade my Iaido to +8, holy crap it's so good.

der juicen
Aug 11, 2005

Fuck haters

Dj Meow Mix posted:

Do you have the Drake Sword? If you do, you should just be able to swing it and hit all of the enemies, I think the dogs go down in 2 hits.

Finally got Sif after grinding enough souls to upgrade my Iaido to +8, holy crap it's so good.

i get slammed in 2 hits when I walk through the fog.

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007
Honest to god, I have never been as frustrated at any game as I was when doing Blighttown. The worst part wasn't getting in or the swamp or anything like that. It was getting out again.

I was killed by the following creatures trying to get out:
Mosquito (because I couldn't hit it with my halberd)
Giant bug
Fire-breathing dog
Toxic darts shot by faggots
Fatsos

The only thing that didn't kill me down there was the stone-throwing giants.

To top it all of, I was cursed after a quick venture into the tree. But at least I got the fire keeper soul and all the bonfires (I think).

ANYWAY: I spoke to the chaos covenant spiderlady down after the spider boss and selected Enter Covenant, but didn't actually join the covenant. Yet I still got the trophy and now when I spoke to the belltower guy to get rid of the curse I was able to absolve my sins for 78000 souls. What's all this then?

gently caress Blighttown.

Meliv
Nov 1, 2008
To quote someone earlier in this thread

gently caress the Capra Demon and the broom closet he lives in

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

der juicen posted:

Everyone does. I seemed to have more trouble than most people too because everytime, the dogs would block me in while trying to move at all.

What helped me was rolling a split second after loading in, then sprinting up the stairs, kill the dogs, then you can lunge attack Capra for a lot of his hp, then he's really easy to fight.

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

der juicen posted:

I managed to pull it off with 9 vit and light armor by running up the left side and doing drop attacks. Don't let it discourage you though, it's possible!

Viash
Mar 17, 2003
What is with people having so much trouble with capra? There is like five seconds between when you walk through the door and when his initial attack lands, that is a loving eternity in Dark Souls time. Walk through the door, immediately sprint forward and to the right, circle around capra and up the stairs. Hit the dogs a couple times, fall off and run back to the door when capra catches up, hit dogs more. Repeat until dogs are dead, when it's just capra he's super easy because he's so slow.

If this is too hard for you maybe action games are not your thing.

der juicen
Aug 11, 2005

Fuck haters

Dj Meow Mix posted:

I managed to pull it off with 9 vit and light armor by running up the left side and doing drop attacks. Don't let it discourage you though, it's possible!

Not in my situation. :smith:

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

After 15 hours of being in the Darkmoon covenant I finally had an invasion work. I was SL51 in Sen's Fortress. Of course, the person I invaded was completely invisible and killed himself.

edit: also, not fog's ring invisible. He was just completely invisible.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

Viash posted:

What is with people having so much trouble with capra? There is like five seconds between when you walk through the door and when his initial attack lands, that is a loving eternity in Dark Souls time. Walk through the door, immediately sprint forward and to the right, circle around capra and up the stairs. Hit the dogs a couple times, fall off and run back to the door when capra catches up, hit dogs more. Repeat until dogs are dead, when it's just capra he's super easy because he's so slow.

Uh what babby version are you playing? Is this on 360? Because on my game it was: Load in, dogs are ALREADY at the stairs blocking it, and he's swinging at you.

der juicen
Aug 11, 2005

Fuck haters

Viash posted:

It's a TAD bit harder when your left arm looks like this.

:nws::nws::nws: http://i56.tinypic.com/23raj6f.jpg :nws::nws::nws: but healed.

And you can't use your hand, fyi.

Professor Latency
Mar 30, 2011

I don't know if this has already been said, but the fire damage on Quelaag's Fury Sword scales with your humanity level capping out at 10.

I have a Balder shield +9, and it's alright only because of the stability that comes with upgrading. I'm kind of regretting it, because it doesn't really seem that good. If only I had 50 STR to wield a greatshield.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Mordiceius posted:

The strategy guide loving owns. Get it.

I got my first character to level 55 or so and past Anor Londo. Today I started a new character to try a faith build and I'm pretty much already caught up. The game goes so much faster when you know what to exploit.

Basically I went and got the Dragon Crest Shield + Astoria's Straight Sword ASAP, then rushed to Gaping Dragon. After that I had enough souls for the blacksmith's seal. I spent some time grinding in the forest to get my stats high enough to use the Gravelord Sword. After I finished grinding I picked up the Stone Armor, and the Drake Sword to make killing Havel easier for his ring. With the ring I could equip the Stone Armor, so I used that along with the Drake Sword to clear my way to the Gravelord Covenant access, switching to Astoria's Straight Sword for killing blows so the skellies wouldn't respawn.

Now I just need to scrounge up some Demon Titanite to get the Gravelord Sword to +5 and I'll be all caught up to where my other character was. In a day.

Once I get Tranquil Walk of Peace and God's Wrath I'm gonna go Darkwraith and kill some people.

Talran
Sep 11, 2005

Be gone with you! You'll spoil my focus.
I just found out you can only hold 99 Humanity (item), but there's still more on the floor. :stare:

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

der juicen posted:

Real Dark Souls Starts Here.

Viash
Mar 17, 2003

der juicen posted:

Ok yes that is completely understandable. Sorry I didn't mean to blow up specifically at you, I'm just really baffled at how half the posts in this thread are about such an early (and relatively easy compared to the rest of the game) boss.

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

der juicen posted:

Oh crap, I think I remember you posting about this before I think. Sorry :smith:

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Professor Latency posted:

If only I had 50 STR to wield a greatshield.

You only need 16 STR for the Eagle Greatshield. It's in the upper section of Blighttown though so it's a pain in the rear end to get.

der juicen
Aug 11, 2005

Fuck haters

Viash posted:

Ok yes that is completely understandable. Sorry I didn't mean to blow up specifically at you, I'm just really baffled at how half the posts in this thread are about such an early (and relatively easy compared to the rest of the game) boss.

lovely thing is, I've beaten gargs and can toe to toe easily black knights and stone warrior dudes in the garden.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Nechronic posted:

The strategy guide loving owns. Get it.
Yeah... no.

I can't believe Google has no answer for where to sell extra items.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Can I make a sword out of Sif's soul that's STR based instead of magic based?

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Shumagorath posted:

Yeah... no.

You can't sell items until you ring both bells, and even then you get crap amounts of souls for selling things.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001

Shumagorath posted:

Yeah... no.

You can sell items. But it's not worth it and you'll likely never bother with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trico
Nov 5, 2009

still you are nowhere
Can anybody explain "scaling" in regards to weapons? I've been reading through the thread and there's talk about how swords like the Drake Sword don't "scale", and neither do fire and lightning (?) weapons? What exactly does scaling mean, and how does it affect me in this game?

I'd like to know before I do any upgrades above regular +5, because I don't want to waste any of the harder-to-get minerals.

I don't usually play a lot of RPGs, is why I'm unfamiliar with the concept.

• Locked thread