Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
Things I like about my Premiere over Tivo HD:
1) HD menus, specifically the better season pass creation.
2) Better guide
3) More native apps
4) Picture-in-picture
5) 30 second skip
6) Crashes much less (Our HD was a refurb, though, so that was probably its problem)
7) The suggestion bar at the top; we actually have found shows through that.

Things I don't like:
1) HD menus are slow.
2) Anything using the onscreen keyboard (Search, YouTube) is interminably slow, to the point that I avoid using it.
3) Really, there's no justification for this slow of an interface.
4) Pretty underwhelming for five years worth of development.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

traveling midget posted:

Once TiVo debuts the Android app things will be better. It seemingly runs instantly, minus hanging here and there, and you can navigate menus literally 10x faster than on the device itself.

The iOS app is actually pretty good. If only somehow they could make the onscreen channel guide that nice.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:
cat /dev/null > /etc/professionalism

I am in fact a massive asswagon.
Do not let me touch computer.

Golbez posted:

5) 30 second skip
6) Crashes much less (Our HD was a refurb, though, so that was probably its problem)

5. You can get that on all the Tivos, you just have to push the right button combo if you can't do it through the menu.

6. My Series 3 has never crashed but my premier has, at least a half dozen times. When it first came out, I had to use SD menus because HD would make it crash. Since then, it poops out when doing Youtube or Netflix and I have to restart it to get it working right again.

I've been a customer since the Series 2 and I remember the big yearly updates that seemed to happen while the premier basically gets poo poo. There was the one that stopped making the HD menus crash so much but that was about it.

Aren't we still supposed to get some update to enable the second cpu or something? And it's been how long since this thing came out?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
From what I read the rumor is they have given up on that.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

http://www.zatznotfunny.com/2011-08/new-directv-tivo-launches-next-month/

Wow, so after all this wait, it looks like their DirecTV box is based on 2008 hardware and has the old style UI. No multi-room viewing and incompatible with the multiroom features of any DirecTV boxes you already might have (at least that part is understandable).

It seems like this might snag some people who really liked their old DirecTV TiVo boxes but gave them up for the new MPEG-4 encoded HD channels, but feature-wise how is this going to compete with anything else today?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

It's dependent on TiVo brand loyalty, which at one time was very strong but is eroding.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

http://www.solidsignal.com/p/?p=3823&utm_campaign=email_tivobanner&utm_medium=email&utm_source=banner&location=01

Pay $9.99/month for a Premiere if you only use it for OTA with an antenna. Plug in a CableCard and your price doubles to the usual $19.99.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
Tivo Premiere Elite Q Hyper Fighting announced: http://thisismynext.com/2011/09/07/quad-tuner-tivo-premier-elite-dvr-thx-certified-2tquad-tuner-dvr-2tb-recording-space/

I'd hope this would come with a software update that fixes some of the problems (season pass creation taking forever, HDUI being sloooow), but I'm not holding my breath. Also waiting to see if they'll allow Lifetime transfers for cheaper.

General E
Aug 25, 2003

Deathlove posted:

Tivo Premiere Elite Q Hyper Fighting announced: http://thisismynext.com/2011/09/07/quad-tuner-tivo-premier-elite-dvr-thx-certified-2tquad-tuner-dvr-2tb-recording-space/

I'd hope this would come with a software update that fixes some of the problems (season pass creation taking forever, HDUI being sloooow), but I'm not holding my breath. Also waiting to see if they'll allow Lifetime transfers for cheaper.

I'm still hoping that the Preview would get a retail release.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Deathlove posted:

I'd hope this would come with a software update that fixes some of the problems (season pass creation taking forever, HDUI being sloooow), but I'm not holding my breath.
It's only been 6 months!

I'd really love to know what Tivo's development process is like because I have never seen another company be this slow on updating their software, ever.

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl

qirex posted:

It's only been 6 months!

I'd really love to know what Tivo's development process is like because I have never seen another company be this slow on updating their software, ever.

Don't ever buy a Samsung phone.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Aatrek posted:

Don't ever buy a Samsung phone.
Most of the Tivo interface is the same as it was twelve years ago. Samsung doesn't update their existing products as much as they should but Bada is sure vastly different than their phone OS was in 1999. I know Tivo employs a shitload of people [actually phone interviewed there once] but I'm really not sure what the hell they do or what's so broken in their process that they can't actually improve their experience. To me it smacks of numerous major failed initiatives.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

It seems okay to me, but I only recently got a premiere. My primary complaints are 1) why isn't everything in hd and 2) why the gently caress are there some options that just don't exist with hdui enabled. Speed of things generally seems the same or better than the HD it replaced.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!

Dogen posted:

It seems okay to me, but I only recently got a premiere. My primary complaints are 1) why isn't everything in hd and 2) why the gently caress are there some options that just don't exist with hdui enabled. Speed of things generally seems the same or better than the HD it replaced.

What doesn't exist with hdui enabled?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Golbez posted:

What doesn't exist with hdui enabled?

Uh... when I was setting mine up, there were like two menu options that simply didn't exist with the HDUI enabled. I think one of them was removing the netflix account I had accidentally set it up with? There was another more important thing I can't remember off the top of my head.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

I thought the grand unified search of amazon TV, netflix, TV listings, etc was only in the HD UI. It was slow and unusable anyway though so I never cared.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:

kitten smoothie posted:

I thought the grand unified search of amazon TV, netflix, TV listings, etc was only in the HD UI. It was slow and unusable anyway though so I never cared.

I like how on my premier, I set one of the search settings to only free movies and yet it still shows stuff that's only available by paying.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

So I finally left the 90s and had cablecards/tuning adapters installed in my two Premieres this week.

I keep reading horror stories about TiVos losing their cablecard provisioning. I assume these are weird edge cases? The guy from Charter who did the install seemed to not know jack about cablecards so I hope everything won't go south.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
My cablecard has remained provisioned for at least four years now.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!

kitten smoothie posted:

So I finally left the 90s and had cablecards/tuning adapters installed in my two Premieres this week.

I keep reading horror stories about TiVos losing their cablecard provisioning. I assume these are weird edge cases? The guy from Charter who did the install seemed to not know jack about cablecards so I hope everything won't go south.

Edge cases, I imagine. Never had a problem with that. Two Tivos, about six cable cards (went from two S to one M, had an S die, replaced, etc.) and never had one lose provisioning.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

I was worried I jinxed myself here because today of course I have cablecard problems temporarily. One of the TiVos was reporting no tuning adapter was connected at all and wouldn't pull in any channels.

The other had the "Tuning Adapter Detected" screen on it when I turned on the TV, as if it lost the TA earlier today and it came back. That TiVo pulled in all the channels I was paying for and everything was working fine.

I power cycled the tuning adapter and it seemed to have come back, so I'm chalking this up to something on the cable company's end if both tuning adapters crapped out today.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Tuning Adapters occasionally just randomly blink out, but I've never had mine go totally bad forever in a year of using them. My various cablecards over the last 4ish years have been consistently fine.

I was browsing the tivo community forums today to find the TWC cablecard 800 number since my local unit wanted to do a truck roll (I called them like a month ago and after struggling for a few minutes they figured it out, guess it just depends on the person) and I was reading up on the Elite.

Seems like with the Elite they doubled the RAM and enabled the second processor, so maybe we'll see dual core support finally trickle down to the regular Premiere soon?

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Not sure if it's an existing feature or not, but there is currently testing on Premiere boxes for Hulu Plus.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:

traveling midget posted:

Not sure if it's an existing feature or not, but there is currently testing on Premiere boxes for Hulu Plus.

It was actually released back in May for Premiere.
http://pr.tivo.com/easyir/customrel.do?easyirid=CA934452BA6418EF&version=live&prid=759249&releasejsp=custom_150

Or do you mean Series 3 boxes? I'd like that.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Yeah that was a bit of an incentive to grab a couple premieres for me, though one of the boxes was prone to random reboots and one had a busted hdmi board, so they needed to to anyway.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

I heard that the Tivo Android app is getting delayed because of issues with Series 4 DVRs, S4 are going to get a firmware update after more testing.

:negative:

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!

traveling midget posted:

I heard that the Tivo Android app is getting delayed because of issues with Series 4 DVRs, S4 are going to get a firmware update after more testing.

:negative:

In the meantime, I've found Tivo Commander to be a very good app.

Looking forward to a system update as well.

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
Any idea what the S4 update will be about?

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Aatrek posted:

Any idea what the S4 update will be about?

WiFi discoverability

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

I heard the TiVo Android app just hit Release Candidate phase. Might be public soon.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
If I buy a Tivo Premiere, can I use it without paying anything to Tivo as long as I schedule all my recordings based on date and time? I understand I won't have any on screen guide or anything like that, I only plan on using it with an OTA antenna so it's not a big deal to me.

Can I do this (I'm pretty sure I could back in the day with the old series 2 models), or do these models need to be activated through Tivo before I can do anything with them?

EDIT: Also, if I do this, will I still be able to use Hulu, Netflix, YouTube, and Amazon Video On Demand? Or are those all done through Tivo's servers?

EDIT2: And, if I CAN'T do this, is there a box that will allow me to do this?

OldSenileGuy fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Jan 3, 2012

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

OldSenileGuy posted:

If I buy a Tivo Premiere, can I use it without paying anything to Tivo as long as I schedule all my recordings based on date and time? I understand I won't have any on screen guide or anything like that, I only plan on using it with an OTA antenna so it's not a big deal to me.

Can I do this (I'm pretty sure I could back in the day with the old series 2 models), or do these models need to be activated through Tivo before I can do anything with them?

EDIT: Also, if I do this, will I still be able to use Hulu, Netflix, YouTube, and Amazon Video On Demand? Or are those all done through Tivo's servers?

EDIT2: And, if I CAN'T do this, is there a box that will allow me to do this?

Nope, you will only be able to trickplay live TV, if even that. The old Series 1 models would do this but nothing made in the last 10 years works that way, according to TiVo.

http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/18

For streaming you may as well get a Roku for 50 bucks and find some other way to record stuff.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

traveling midget posted:

I heard the TiVo Android app just hit Release Candidate phase. Might be public soon.

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.tivophone.android

Also they're starting to push a UI overhaul and when it's fully pushed out they will be turning on streaming between Premieres on the same network rather than just the old-school MRV show transferring.

http://www.zatznotfunny.com/2012-01/tivo-begins-massive-premiere-update/

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

kitten smoothie posted:

Also they're starting to push a UI overhaul and when it's fully pushed out they will be turning on streaming between Premieres on the same network rather than just the old-school MRV show transferring.

Nice. I heard they're testing the app on 7+" tablets now.

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl

kitten smoothie posted:

My TiVo Premiere's software is still dated from October 2011. Hopefully this new UI upgrade hits soon; I'm still running the 'Classic' version because the HDUI is so slow.

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
The official Android app is in the Market now.

complex
Sep 16, 2003

Aatrek posted:

The official Android app is in the Market now.

It has been, since the 6th. See traveling midget's post.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

So the Premiere has the same Netflix UI as my HD? AKA no queue only, no grouping by season, no showing which have been watched, etc.?

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:

qirex posted:

So the Premiere has the same Netflix UI as my HD? AKA no queue only, no grouping by season, no showing which have been watched, etc.?

Exactly. It's the same old interface as when it first came out. Don't forget, no searching either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Hey, wait! A thing happened!

quote:

CES 2012 is jam-packed with smart TVs of every size and shape, but you won't find TiVo amongst the fray: the original DVR company is holding quiet meetings in its usual private booth tucked above the show floor. We stopped by a for a visit and were treated to a demonstration of a very interesting external transcoder box that lets you stream anything on your DVR to the TiVo iPad app when you're on your home network, and download shows to watch offline or away from home. The box is just a prototype right now — it might not look like anything like this when it comes out — but TiVo says it'll work on any network fast enough to support the TiVo Premiere's new multiroom streaming feature. In practice, the prototype worked well; we streamed a show from the TiVo across the room without any hiccups.

Of course, it's easy to imagine expanding the feature set here: we pushed for details on streaming live TV as well as streaming video outside the home (like Slingbox) and were told it's all under evaluation, but nothing is locked in yet. That would be a pretty ideal package, especially combined with the quad-tuner TiVo Premiere Elite: you'd basically have access to your TV from anywhere in the world, and you'd only lose one tuner while watching live TV — leaving the other three to keep recording your shows. Yes, we're dreaming, but it's not outside the realm of the possible — we'll see if TiVo builds it all in.

We also got to play with the Premiere 2.0 software that started rolling out on Friday and found it to be leaps and bounds more responsive than before; TiVo says it's been using Adobe Air instead of (now-deprecated) Flash, and it's still working to improve performance and caching across the system with every new update. The new HD guide and info screens are also very well done, shows can be sorted by season, and search has been expanded to let you just start typing the name of a channel to quickly jump over. TiVo also says it just hired a new engineer to lead up a larger API effort to expand the number of apps on its platform, including more interactive apps that let you directly engage with what you're watching. We were also told that a new Netflix app is coming soon; it'll look a like an updated version of the app that ships on the TiVo-powered Insignia Connected TV.

We also took the opportunity to ask TiVo about what it's doing to stay relevant as every other manufacturer tries to enter the TV space and the cable companies themselves get into streaming apps — it's sort of a weird time to be building the ultimate cable box. TiVo's VP of product marketing Jim Denney told us that his goal is to offer a complete solution that bridges the gap between standard television and the new world of streaming services, and that the flood of smart TVs at CES that don't offer real TV support are just "technology for technology's sake." That seems like a smart bet in the short term, but we'll have to see how well TiVo can keep straddling the past and future as the TV industry undergoes a crisis of identity down on the show floor.
So I guess it is getting a new Netflix app at some point. Dumping Flash was a good idea [not that Air is much different but at least it hasn't been all but abandoned by Adobe yet], maybe the speed of upgrades will increase [I know, that was a joke].

• Locked thread